Review rating:
Models:
  • 12 helpful votes

Model: AN650AL1 Date Purchased: Mar 2012

So, it's not for you then?

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

All my motorcycling friends think it's not a 'real' motorcycle. Ha! is all I say to them! It's now my 'go to' ride having brought it a few years ago. I own a few motorcycles of various persuasions but it is always the Burgman I think of first when it comes to which one I will take out. It is so versatile, comfortable and capable. It also has a decent turn of speed and it handles just like a 'real' motorcycle. Trust me, only a test ride can prove me wrong! There's a good reason why the Italians love 'em. The Burgman has done plenty of kms (50,000+) and I use it everyday as my commuter and I couldn't do without it. The only 'fly in the ointment' is the rather noisy clutch gear. Won't affect it's reliability but does make it sound a bit like a diesel at idle. They all do it, it's just part of it's 'character' hence only the 4 stars. Other than that it is 5 stars all the way!
In the weekend it becomes the 'run around' and if I feel like I want to stick to the boy's I take it on the odd weekend run. (they hate that cause I can keep up, no worries!) The weather protection is Goldwing good and to be honest it looks likes like a big tourer head-on anyway. I haven't taken her on a tour yet but the day is coming closer. So, if you want a reliable, comfortable and capable bike that is really user friendly and that can take your wet-weather gear and can stow your helmet under the seat and keep up with and surprise your mates then I can highly recommend a 650 Burgman. try it, you might like it!

Belmont

Model: AN650L5 Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Perfect ride

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2017

Can’t live with out it, save space when parking, really economic to run, looks beautiful and is very comfortable to ride. Saves space when parking at my apartment. Lovely colour which is a metallic white. Really economic when servicing. Can ride fairly long distance without being tired and wearing the right gear am snug as a bug.

Model: AN650AL1 Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Fantastic machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2017

As many I have suffered a medical condition and after taking the 2009 650 Burgman for a test ride I knew it was for me. After not riding for several years after owning a ex police LT 1100 BMW that was to high for me after suspension modification with a couple of embarrassing drops this scooter would out perform the BMW. I'm so happy with the Burgman, having 35000klm on it and a previous owner that looked after it my life has turned around. Would be great to catch up with other Burgman owners in Southeast Qld. Regards, Andy-Beaudesert, QLD

Maryborough

• 10 answers
  • 7 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: AN650L4 Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Im hooked

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2017

50k on clock, 2004 model. Such a big size but so easy to handle. Im a bike rider for life, this is first scooter. Never going back to bone jaring bikes after buying this. Had the burg for 1 month, amazing power, great comfort, great storage, especially i added top box. Rides so smooth, the engine so quiet, just sounds a little like a diesel engine while in idle, hahaha. But on the open road unbelievable comfort and power to burn omg. Now after having done many intercity trips, I simply cannot fault this masterpiece of engineering, the stability, comfort, and now with added Bluetooth into helmet, such a marvel. And I have ridden only motorbikes for the last 35 years. This is by a long shot the best of the pick. I have completed my first full service, including replace brake fluids, radiator coolants, spark plugs and the three different oils. Not the easiest bike to work on only because of the need to remove the plastics, and somewhat cramped access. But I would not change this bike if you even paid me. It's hard to keep off of.
PRO'S
Best balanced bike ever been on
Power
Fuel economy
Storage
Ability to charge devices
Comfort for both riders
Protection from wind/rain
CONS
Can be difficult to perform service
Price of tyres

Blounts Creek, NC 27814

Model: AN650AL1 Date Purchased: Aug 2009

Going on 8 years and like it more and more!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2017

I am a 100% DAV from service with the 82nd ABN DIV. For years in the military I rode (and worked!) on Harley's. After hurting my back badly I was forced to quit riding for several years. Started back with a Honda Helix 250 and then a Honda 250 Reflex. In 2009 I bought new my current 650 Burgman. At first I rarely rode because of my back but now I am well (physically!) and am looking forward to my first full year of riding. The Burgman has 9,500 miles on it with no problems, and is just beginning to feel properly broken in. Mine is the basic, not the ABS version. I have added a removable Givi windshield, hard wired Garmin GPS/Sat radio with BT helmet, Givi Topcase with LED brake lights and passenger backrest, cruise control, ceramic beaded seat and mud flap for the front fender. I originally bought this scooter to hold me over until I hopefully recovered physically to the point of getting back into larger bikes. The Burgman, however, has grown on me and as it ages I like the style of the bike more and more. I love taking it for errands as I live 9 miles from the nearest town. My wife and daughter love riding on it with me. It is very comfortable to ride to visit friends 3 to 4 hours away and sure beats the gas mileage of my 4WD Explorer. I enjoy doing my own maintenance on the bike and there are many DIY videos on maintenance and DIY projects on line. As it already is 8 years old I couldn't sell it for much so I now plan on keeping this scooter for the long run and hopefully will put many many more miles on it in the future. It is a bit top heavy for a shorter person. I am 5'11" and its fine for me. It is also unstable in sand or mud, due to the long wheelbase. So not good at all for ANY off road riding. All in all, however, I am very pleased with this scooter and would buy it again.

Model: AN650AL1

I am flabbergasted...

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2016

Hi Guys. This is my third scooter. I've started late on Bolwell 125cc, then yamaha majesty 250 and now I ride burgman 650. All scoots second hand. I completely agree, superb ride although a bid too heavy. Reason I've decided to write here is Gazza's saying "I hate winters...". I did write a pm to him indicating a solution for Victorian winters. I would gladly meet with someone to exchange thoughts and experiences. Send me pm, I am in south east suberb. Regards to All.

Gold Coast

• 5 answers

Model: AN650L5

Two years of magic!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 05, 2016

I have had heaps of bikes over 50 years and would rate the Burgy with the best. 38000 k's in 2 years on it and still looked and drove like new. Even in 2 horrific thunderstorms she came out a winner. If she was a woman I would marry her. If there is a fault with it I am yet to find out. I do most of the maintenance myself and find google, Burgman Forum and others a great source of information at my fingertips. All in all my Burgy is a winner to me and if anybody asks my opinion I don't hesitate to tell them about the Burgman 650.

Model: AN650AL1

Comfortable. Economical and pure joy to ride.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2016

18 months down with 40,000 on the clock and the joy continues. 1000k days with ease and still step off feeling great and ready for more. Nimble in traffic with plenty of get up and go when required on the open road. 22k'/Ltr at 120 easy. Traded a GTR 1400 and I'm still smiling.

What A Top Ride

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2015

I bought a new 2015 Suzuki Burgman 650 matt gray (only one colour that year). I thought my Kymco 500 exciting was a good ride until I took this big mother for a test drive while my Kymco was getting service. I couldn't believe the way it handled around corners I wanted to find more, it is so well balanced. Having the mirrors on the front faring and not on the bars are a great advantage, it's big but it doesn't feel big until you take this machine on the highway that's when you get the looks as you fly along cruising at 120 kms (just a little over the speed limit) and there is more in the tank if you want to try (150 kms no problem). Love it!

melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Suzuki Burgman Executive 650 A1+++

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2015

After riding so many different motorbikes saw that I needed more storage space so decided to buy a scooter. I first brought a Honda 250 then a Piagio 300, thinking that they were less narrow making my trips better through city traffic.

Then looked into the Burgmans and was hesitant has the body was more big however I was wrong. The bigness of the body has never been a issue and its a breeze to use in city. Its much much easier to use then my other scooters in city trafic.

I recommend to use the power mode if your travelling long trips. The storage is excellent. I can place my motorbike jacket plus full face helmet under my seat with more room. The seat is big and comfortable.

Thinking of selling as I want to do more camping so I need a adventure bike to do more off-road riding but very scared as I know I will miss my Burgman. Highly recommend the Burgman for city traffic and long open road trips.

Bad point: no off-road use

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

• 8 answers
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

Best scooter I have ever had !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2014

I am so happy with this scoot! I had the Burgman 400cc a couple of years ago.
I am wondering if there are others out there who might enjoy a ride together - especially in Gippsland .
Its a bit frustrating that engine access is terrible - but Im not expecting to have to do anything.
I will sit back and enjoy . I have ordered a backrest [USA] and Laminar-lip [england].
Keeping the revs to under 4000 is a challenge ; I am not a speedster.But it will be great to sensibly 'open it up'.

+ Very clean straight forward lines - so easy to ride.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

My AN650L3 is barely a month old; I love it. Biggest bike I've had and the best scooter around. I use it for a 90km commute to and from Bunbury, WA each day of the week, spinning around 4-4,500rpm ... read more »

I highly recommend the Laminar Lip for superb wind protection , the backrest [ I rode without it a while back- was very unpleasant ], and a simple plastic 'cruise' controller for $10.00.

I now have the 650 cc. I have had it for a year or so. Its just such a sophisticated beast to ride. It looks totally harmless , but will take off and then cruise like a rocket . I hate winter though!

• 7 answers
  • 9 helpful votes
Private message

Rolls-Royce of scooters...but a bugger to work on!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2014

We Bought a 2005 Burgman 250 for my wife, who is a low time (and still nervous!) rider. Her previous bikes were a VT250 Honda, a Yamaha Max Biaggi replica 100 scooter, and a V-moto Monaco 125 scooter. The Burgman was a good deal at the time, but one of the big considerations was the low seat height (low time riders like it when they can plant both feet flat on the ground!) Now, I rode it home after picking it up, and I was blown away!!! To put it in context, I have owned a Goldwing 1500 so I know what comfortable riding is all about. The Burgman was like a mini Goldwing! Very comfortable seat; comfortable upright riding posture; easy to handle; low centre of gravity; decent engine power and great brakes; good windscreen; fantastic headlight.

Unlike many scooters, there is quite a bit of adjustability built in to the Burgie: the handlebars can be adjusted up or down for a comfortable position like a conventional bike, and the small riders' seat backrest can be moved fore and aft. You can get this thing to fit you like a glove! It has powerful linked brakes (the left hand lever works the back brake as well as the front) which is also a bonus for new riders, and the headlight is extremely powerful! Despite scooter sized wheels, it handles road lumps and bumps with ease. Another plus is storage: two non secure shoulder compartments, a lockable glove compartment, and a big underseat area that will take two full face helmets: it even has a switchable light! If you want to maximise your storage space, it even has helmet hooks! Returns 3.5 to 4 litres per 100km on regular unleaded, and will sit in 100kph all day if you want it to...and there's no messy chain to oil!!!

There are few downsides to this bike: it is not light (170kg) so can be a little difficult for slightly built riders to manoeuvre around the garage. Though I found it simple to get on the centrestand, my wife still finds it a little tricky. The sidestand cut-out switch (to protect learners: the bike will not start if the sidestand is down) is a pain in the neck if you are a bit more experienced. And there is a lot of bodywork to keep cleaned and polished! The biggest nuisance only applies for home mechanics like me: it is a major pain in the bum to work on! All that lovely bodywork must come off to do even simple servicing tasks, and that means a workshop manual is essential: do not try and take bits off without it, or you will break bits and have an expensive experience!
Despite that, I highly recommend it: for commuting or highway work, it is very pleasant for both low time and experienced riders to ride, and can even take a pillion comfortably. My wife just loves it, and has no intention of changing for the forseeable future!

+ Comfortable, reliable, easy to ride, economical, good looking: ticks all the boxes

- Sidestand cut-out switch, a little heavy at low speed or stopped, time consuming to home service

Townsville, Queensland

• 1 question

King of the Scooters

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2014

Heaps of storage under seat. Electric mirrors. Electric screen. Twin headlights. 3 modes - Auto, Power, Manual.
The Auto is great for around town The Power is great for hills or when you need that little bit of extra power. The Manual is great for long rides as mine seems to use less fuel than on Auto. 2 Trip meters also calculate use. I'm averaging 19 litres per 100 k's at present. Seb at CMCC was excellent to deal with.

+ Seating, storage, trip meters, electric mirrors and windshield.

- Left hand mirror is badly positioned.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

19 litres per 100? What is it a mack truck???

Sorry Johno. I wrote it wrong. I meant 19 k's to a litre. I have since worked it out manually and it has been 22 k's per litre on average. That was averaged on a 3000+k ride around Tasmania.

A further update - although a very comfortable scooter, it is very heavy at nearly 300 kgs wet. I am about to switch to a Vulcan S 650 which is around 80 Kgs lighter.

Singleton, WA

• 14 helpful votes

2013 Suzuki Burgman

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2013

Well, my new 2013 Burgman arrived this week and after riding it for a few days, I thought I'd post my initial reaction to the new model. I've had two previous Burgmans starting off in 2003. I had that bike up to 2010 and then traded it for the then current 2010 Executive model. Unfortunately, that was stolen from my garage in September last year. I didn't rush out to replace it as I knew a new model was on the horizon. I read the reviews before buying the latest version and decided I'd go ahead rather than trying to source a 2012 version which would have been identical to the 2010 model that I'd lost. Firstly, I would like to say a big thank you to [name removed] from Witch Cycles in Rockingham, WA for providing a pleasant buying experience and ensuring that my bike was delivered to me on time and without any hitches. In my honest opinion, this latest version somehow falls short of what I've been used to on previous Burgman releases. Let me explain the positives first from my point of view. The storage area at the front of the bike is improved and with the revised placement of the 12 volt socket to power a mobile phone charger or something similar is much better than on the older Burgman. The smaller compartments above are of a slightly better design too. Looking at the petrol filler flap, I'm thinking that I may be in with a chance of it not breaking like on my two previous bikes despite handling them both very carefully. So far as the positives and again, from my point of view, that's about it. It rides the same, it feels the same, pretty much, out on the road. Suzuki say that they've improved the transmission and fuel economy but if they have, it's not really discernible. Not to me anyway. Let me now offer my opinions on what I see are the negatives. I liked the dark grey colour of the previous version and I'm less keen on the metallic white that I was forced to accept as at the moment, it's the only colour option in Australia. Europe gets, white, black and I think a grey or silver. No such luck here. Suzuki have tinkered with the under seat storage area and it's now smaller that it was before. Why? To make the rear end of the bike slimmer and more 'stylish'. Previously, the mirrors were ensconced in beautiful car-like enclosures. They've gone and been replaced with mirrors that sort of sit on top of the of the plastic enclosures that support them. They look hideous. They still work well but not as good as they were before. The screen seems to be smaller that it was previously too. I guess we'll have to wait for Givi to come up with a replacement. I don't like the position of the handbrake release and again, I don't know why it's been changed. The instrumentation is now a combination of dials for the speedo and tachometer with digital information between the two 'clocks'. I don't mind this too much and the display is actually quite good. Why was it changed? I have no idea. To me, Suzuki have taken something truly wonderful in the older Burgman and given it a facelift and made many unwelcome changes. People who buy Burgman 650's like the large under seat storage area, the mirrors as they were, everything pretty much that the older bike offered. I suspect some younger designer has come along not fully understanding the requirements of the generally older Burgman rider. If you have an older Burgman, hang on to it as again, in my opinion, you're not losing out at all. If you've never had one before, then this version, as per usual, will not fail to impress. I hate design change when it's not called for and I think Suzuki has lost the plot somewhat with this latest version. It's good but I'm now hankering for the older one that I had before.

+ Improved front storage area. New placement of 12 charging socket. Possibly more durable petrol flap.

- The shrunken under seat storage. The mirrors. The parking brake placement. Colour choice. Screen size.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Very helpful review. How can the handbrake being under your left leg possibly be a better position!?! Sounds completely idiotic. I've never liked the mirrors and think the ones from the Honda Silve... read more »

I have had my 2013 for one week, and ridden about 250km, as a bit cold. I still have the 2010 as well. I agree with the Lou2Loops comments and would add some more. The 2013 runs freer than the 2... read more »

A friend of mine has bought his first Burgman 400, he has had scooters before but not this big, he is getting used to it know but finds that when it is windy and coming from all directions the Bur... read more »

mumbai

Beautiful machine

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2013

I'm now on my 2nd Burgman. I never considered buying a scooter (having always ridden bikes), until I saw one of these on eBay. Hadn't ridden for w while so I thought it would make a good interim bike until upgrading. Anyway, it's been so solid and reliable, plus so comfortable to ride around, that I ended up upgrading to an exec after 100,000km. Plenty of space under the seat, narrow enough to get to the front of the line at traffic lights, yet powerful and heavy enough for solid freeway/country cruising.

+ Everything

- That stupid plastic cover over the electrics under the left glovebox always comes off.

• 6 helpful votes

magnificant

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 07, 2013

I've now ridden over 100,000km since I bought the Burgman Exec in April 2008. The only faults I've encountered have been the result of incorrect assembly (front wheel bearing). There are a few design faults that you need to be aware of. The air filter is upside down which means any loose dirt falls into the engine side when you remove the filter. Considering most dealers mechanics I've dealt with didn't know how to put the engine cover back on, this is a worry. If you ever stray off dry clean bitumen, it's a good idea to fit a mud flap on the front. Without it, after 5k roadworks the radiator was 1/2 covered.

+ performance, reliability, low centre of gravity, excellent low speed charactorists, high speed stability. quiet, even without ear plugs

- seat not as comfy as it looks. Ride is a bit harsh.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

At 127000km the transmission belt failed. Dealer quote was AU$4000 for a new transmission or AU$845 for the belt + AU$1300 fitting + AU$ ? for any additional parts needed. The only thing stopping ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 answer
  • 10 helpful votes

yes it's great BUT?

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2012

As I said it's great yet made perfect with a taller screen/Givi $250.00 aud
The std screen should have been more ajustable for height.
the ride is a little on the hard side even on rear soft setting
But all up a perfect ride and a great tourer, buy the screen and thats it you will find there is much else you need to buy.

- std screen to short and im 5 foot 6"

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Depends where you want your screen to be. If you want to look through it - After the screen gets all scratched up, you won't be able to see when it rains or at night.

• 31 comments
  • 11 answers
  • 38 helpful votes
Private message

best choice large CC scooter on the market

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2012

Bought this bike in 2007 and ride it every day. Has never let me down. Love the great weather protection and huge underseat storage. Can fit 2 helmets and a few clothes or lots of shopping including a 30 pack of soft drink. It mightn't look as funky cool as a harley davidson but I had one of them too and preferred riding this. Practical, smooth, cheap to run. Plastic always looks good.

+ Storage, weather protection, ease of use

- has a large body so isn't the best for lane splitting but I do it anyway by pulling the mirrors in

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Follow-up - Mine is a 650 non-executive 2003 model. At around 26k, it started making (referred to in burgmanusa as) a dieseling noise. This is due to a design flaw in something to do with the CVT. ... read more »

• 4 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2012

After riding 'proper' motorcycles for just over thirty years, I fancied a change. A customer of mine one day was talking about his new bike and praising it for the way it handled and it's comfort. I thought he was talking about a conventional bike until I actually saw it. For me, it was love at first sight! I enjoy just about everything about this scooter. I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who wants to just kick back and cruise in comfort and style, and enjoy what freedom it offers. And just a thought for those of you who may be 'die-hard' bikies that are having a good laugh at the moment - I was of you once until I tried the Burgmann and finally bought one. Maybe you will too!

+ Just about everything! Comfort, style, braking, handling, acceleration, controls, mirrors that give perfect rear view! and that wonderful CVT auto/manual transmission. The under seat storage area can even fit a drinks cooler to keep 'roadies' cool. Offer a Harley rider one if you see his tongue drooling!

- Inaccessible valves for tyre inflation because of relatively small wheels. Could do with 90 degree valve extenders. Slight cough back on over-run when decelerating.

19 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Bext time you change tyres get them to fit 90 degree fittings.

NUNAWADING

• 3 comments
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

I was an [censored word removed] for delaying getting this

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2012

I first bought a conventional motorbike because of the image thing of scooter. My v-star was great, by I never let my eyes off possible scooters that could handle the open road. I finally relented and abandoned the pressures of biker die-hards, tested a few scoots, and fell in love with a 2nd hand 2006 an650. Oh my God!!! Power. Stability. Luggage space. Ease. Looks. It will take off like a rocket, but not feel like the front wheel is about to lift off, it stays level. The list goes on and on.
I stronger suspect the regular biker community don't know what the hell they're missing out on. It's going to take something super special to wean me off the Burgman 650.
A fantastic alternative to a car.

+ Too much to mention. But... reliable, powerful. Great dash and compartment. A gentle cruise at 100 kms. Overtakes a dream. Versatile in city, and country. Intelligent beyond belief. Very secure braking. Great cornering. Perfect for pillions. Centre of gravity.

- Expensive as far as scooters... but what you get for it....well!!!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Wait for the 30,000 mile transmission failure which will cost more to fix than the scoot is worth. Love will turn to hate, stay close to home !

Up-date.... Had my Burgman a fair while now. Still love it to bits. Grand experience the other day. I took off leaving a Hyosung behind. When the biker caught up to me at the next red light, he yel... read more »

It is scary to think that it is not a serviceable item but I've done 75,000miles (120,000km) & touch wood, the transmission works like the day I bought it.

1 of 2 pages