Melbourne

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer

Date Purchased: Oct 2018

A poor relative of fetchtv

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

Moved house, previous provider was not available...
Ordered bundle with Telstra TV (Oct-Nov 2018), and after setting up, discovered TTV has almost no content I want to watch...no recording or time-shift capability, and a number other disappointing features.
Box & remote try to be stylish, but not simple to use in the dark, no chunky buttons etc. Menus are mostly in the wrong places...
Will keep exploring, but very likely to look for a different device in the coming weeks.

Date Purchased: Feb 2018

A step backwards for Telstra

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2018

Let me start by saying how much I loved the Telstra T box. What an amazing piece of technology. Pause, record, rewind. The truly value add features every viewer is looking for. The remote control was unstoppable. It could be hidden under 10ft of concrete and still work. When starting the t box it was super fast. Started in seconds. Super easy to navigate tv channels and check out what other shows were on whilst continuing to watch the current show. I was so happy.

Then Telstra discontinued the service replacing it with the “amazing” Roku powered Telstra Tv. What a disappointment. Clunky viewing experience. No...nothing...I mean no ability whatsoever to pause, records and rewind live tv. We travelled back in time. Telstra has introduced an inferior product. And the good part is they wanted to charge more! Sure there access to more apps and whatever but I have a smart TV and chrome cast. I can do all that stuff and more.

My favorite though, Telstra has obviously listened to customer feedback (maybe even my own) and added the ability to pause and rewind live tv on Telstra tv. But only in very limited conditions. It’s such a pitiful attempt to right the stupendous wrongs.

The remote control is also inferior. You need to be pointing that thing directly at the box or it won’t work.

Telstra has made a huge mistake. I’m locked in. I would thoroughly recommend avoiding Telstra tv if you’re considering your options. I’m pretty sure anything else would be better.

Telstra, you have failed.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Recording

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2018

Telstra TV is used when nothing else is on paid tv
Advertisements of any nature are much louder than programs being viewed
Not all programs are on Telstra TV
There's no recording option
Navigation using the remote control is used but if unsure there is menu you can view on your television

Brisbane, QLD

• 1 comment
  • 11 helpful votes

over priced

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2018

1. No support to bluetooth headphone which is shame for parents who wanna catch up shows at night
2. Lack of keyboard which limits the ability of being more interactive.

Overall it does what it's designed for but could be better. add 50 bucks get an Apple TV full stop

Brisbane

• 4 answers

Date Purchased: May 2017

Getting better

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2018

Free to air is no longer viable. Having the option to watch movies even if they are not current without purchasing hard copies has finally come of age. I have had no issues and am enjoying the experience. Best thing would be not having to look to see what time my program comes on.

Sunbury, Vic

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Good product but overpriced.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2018

This Roku based device is easy to connect & set up & is quite intuitive to operate. An ideal addition to a non smart TV as it provides easy access to Foxtel, Netflix & regular TV playback channels. Streaming is fast & efficient with decent NBN & wi fi connection. Picture quality is good. We got this free when we renewed our Telstra bundle for NBN, so quite happy with that deal. That said, if paying for it the quoted price of $192 is not good value, as it should be cheaper. Reliable so far after 6 months use, so I'm pleased with the new Telstra TV.

Sydney

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Shoddy product, shoddy company.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2018

Received our Telstra TV box one week ago, the streaming is very slow and glitchy. Unplugged the box to set up a new tv unit and the HDMI entry point came loose so now he box doesn’t work. Telstra is insisting we buy a new box for $192, because that is their “process”. Back to Apple TV.

Alice Springs

• 12 helpful votes

How can you do this

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2018

Telstra Roku streaming of Foxtel next useless. Rewind 30 minutes and you lose picture. Cannot record, some AFL games have ads during play...very limited service with no Essentials basic package like Foxtel. Rewind is blind, cannot see where you are up to.
If Netflix can provide excellent streaming service why can't useless TELSTRA ....Just go to foxtel.

Purchased at: Telstra Mobile

Date Purchased: Aug 2018

A useless box if you have a smart TVs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

My $99 monthly “entertainment” bundle from Telstra came with a set top box (yes, yet another one to add to the Foxtel, DVD, Bose etc already there). What does the Telstra box provide in terms of the promised “entertainment”? Virtually nothing that my smart TVs do not.
All the useful apps such as Netflix, catchup channels, YouTube etc are on the TV already.
The Telstra box is so out of date and useless that Telstra’s marketing manager has a site – https://exchange.telstra.com.au/why-do-i-need-a-telstra-tv/ which is a whole page trying to persuade us about its wonders. Wish I’d read it before.
I waded through the marketing verbiage trying to find anything even vaguely useful about the Telstra box, apart from its ability to further track you and your preferences across apps (“Even less privacy! Sign me up!”). I found that the Telstra box is good, apparently because …. (wait for it) you can be billed for apps through Telstra, instead of separately through Netflix etc.
Even if you think this is a good idea (“Brilliant! I must get one now! Just what I’ve always needed and wanted to pay $100 a month for!”), just remember most Telstra call centres are in Asia, and you can spend wasted days in their call centre / chatline loops.
Above all, be aware the “entertainment” in your “entertainment bundle” Telstra box, does not include paid subscriptions e.g. to Netflix, except for a very buggy Foxtel app (see the other reviews of that -my experience is the same - don’t throw out your twenty - year old Foxtel box if you want to watch Foxtel properly.) Otherwise, it’s a useless bit of plastic.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth

Date Purchased: Aug 2018

Telstra you suck

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2018

$99 per month for Internet and Telstra tv. What a joke this service is constantly rebuffering and lagging, the bells and whistles that apparently come with it ..Foxtel, Netflix etc you still have to pay for and the set up is painful. The afl app doesn't mean you can watch live footy either.. You have to go through the torture of signing up whilst on dodgy crappy internet only having to fork out another $40 to Foxtel to watch the footy.
If you can call it 'watching'. Most of the time it was frozen and buffering with pixelated image and not keeping up with live tv AT ALL. Netflix also comes out with a dodgy picture. Painfully slow and frustrating.
Hey Telstra maybe check to which areas have the correct coverage to run your piece of crap.

Date Purchased: May 2018

Just Garbage

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

Although free with my internet plan, it is just very poor. Can't remove unwanted channels on free to air. Free to air slow to load, freezes, program info always behind time. Might make a good paper weight though. Just a frustrating experience in this day and age of technology. Just don't bother with it.

An absolute CIRCUS if you need Customer Service Support

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

We had NBN running at our place for about 1 week and then the signal became weak and we had to call Telstra. After 1 hour of them trying to even understand 'who is on the call' and 'what is the account', etc...they finally figured out who/address was on the phone. Then, 30 mins more of transfers to just try to get help on a weak signal. Then, they scheduled someone to call back who did, next day, and had to go through ridiculous account info and transfers...again. Then, they booked appt for next day than called to cancel later that day, saying it would be 2 weeks. So, we get back on the phone - another 90 mins of transfers, etc...and by now ready to cancel. At the end, we were assigned a 'complaints manager' who didn't follow up when promised, but at least it was fixed after 5 business days of the original promise date. If we had to do it again, we would NOT use Telstra NBN just because of our FEAR that we would actually need help from humans!

Gold coast

• 1 answer

I love it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

I love it, easy to navigate, quick, I have 2 the older model and the most recent. Both great the new one is faster but the unit is a little larger. I prefer the lay out over Apple TV. Netflix and your tubes lay out is easier to use on this and better then Apple TV. I love big pond tv because I can watch movies and it just gets billed to my account for me to pay at the end of the month.

Davistown

• 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Bring back my t box

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 09, 2018

I find this product very awkward to navigate. I can’t delete unwanted channels. It is very slow to respond to commands and seems to freeze regularly.It doesn’t rewind or pause live tv
I love the access to all the apps.
A lot of negatives but I’m sort of getting used to it

Purchased at: Telstra Home Phone

Adelaide

• 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Decent but not worth paying for

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2018

If included for free in a Telstra plan, this is a pretty decent way to get Netflix, ABC iVew, tenplay, etc on to a TV. It is essentially a slightly downgraded Roku box so it works surprisingly well. However, the box costs almost $200 outright, and for non-Telstra users a lot of features are deactivated for no reason. At that price, most people would be better off with an Apple TV (similar price), Nvidia Shield (slightly more) or Chromecast (much less) - the alternatives don't support TV recording but run Netflix/YouTube/Stan/etc, have more features (except the Chromecast) and don't stop working if the internet isn't coming through Telstra.

Date Purchased: Jul 2018

Telstra TV box is an attractive door stop option.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2018

Just got Telstra NBN today. Disconnected my Digital TV box with recording functionality and hooked up the Telstra TV box included with my internet bundle. Waited while it searched for channels and set itself up for what seemed like ages! - When finished I had 1 channel! - Channel 31!!!!! - Possibly the lamest TV channel in the southern hemisphere!!!!. Checked my other options , foxtel, stan, nine live. Every other option required me to set up an account before being able to view!!!! - Wasted best part of an hour exploring it's uselessness. Then unplugged and reconnected my tried and tested set top box. instantly 40 plus channels in full HD with abiity to record two channels whilst watching another. TELSTRA YOUR 'FREE' TV BOX IS A PIECE OF C**P!!!! - I shall be donating it to the local tip tomorrow!!.

Gawler

Date Purchased: Jun 2018

Is it worth unboxing?? or straight to the recycle bin??

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

Signed up to ta new NBN home bundle - main objective was better cheaper plan than my old obsolete one. Said I had no interest in Telstra TV, but it was included anyway and the box eventually came in the mail. Looks like to connect it I have to bypass my very capable Panasonic hard disk recorder and watch free to air via the Telstra TV box through HDMI - so I totally lose my recorder functionality. Or do I loop the antenna through the recorder and then to the telstra box instead of the TV? Looks far too difficult and I don't think the rest of the family will cope with the complication. offered to send it back, but Telstra didn't want it.

Date Purchased: May 2018

What a piece of crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

What a waste of money.
Can't delete unwanted channels.
Can't mute.
Guide is always out of timing.
What a piece of crap.
Telstra you should be ashamed to release such a piece of crap.
At least the old tbox worked much better.
What a waste of money.

Product is a joke - Fetch TV is WAY better

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2018

Slow, bad picture quality, ridiculously slow to connect to free to air TV. Keeps loading and repeating in the middle of advertisements, no live TV functionality - can't record pause or rewind live TV. In hindsight I wish I had signed up with Dodo and Fetch TV instead, which is far superior.

Gold coast

• 4 helpful votes

Telstra scams

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 15, 2018

No technician has completed the cable job. It has been 2 weeks with bricks being cut out of the house as requested by him. Their liars, they have re scedulded 4 'technicians' now and they do not problem solve or assist..go to vodafone

Their a joke would not recommend to a dog

1 of 5 pages