I WAS SKEPTICAL BUT HAD A AMAZING EXPERIENCE

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2017

I was very sceptical about ordering from here after reading some negative reviews HOWEVER I can not complain. I ordered 7 books all receieved withi 3 days to Syd, AUS. I'm about to place my second order so I'm hoping it is just as great

Private message

I have received neither book, nor money back.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2017

I have received wrong book, send it back the same day and have not received any answer. After about 2 weeks I have asked where was the book I have ordered. In return I was requested to send few informations which have been attached to the book. How could I send those informations if I sent them with the book back. The response was that there was nothing they could do. So thanks for stealing my money.
I wonder why in the past everything was working perfectly, but now takes much more time to send books and you can't even send proper item.

Perth

• 4 helpful votes

100% happy with the Company delivery service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

I have purchased books with Book Depository more than 10 times now. I am very happy with their service (although some items might take slightly longer than other to leave their warehouse).
Competitive prices (most of the time i find them much cheaper than those in the local bookshop in Australia. All my orders are nicely packed and the books were well protected. (That is the reason why i choose the book depository as my choice first to get my books).

Can't complian

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Was dispatched and delivered relatively quickly. Was worried due due bad reviews but I received the order in 5 working days after dispatch, although it took an extra day or so for the order to leave the U.K. then what the website initially advised and I do wish there was tracking but the price was good and I'm happy, I'll buy from them again.

Melbourne, VIC

• 19 comments
  • 35 answers
  • 98 helpful votes
Private message

Cannot fault - my one stop shop for purchasing books

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2017

Forget the prices you pay at bookshops these days. Just go online and search for the book you want. Pay the price that's offered and your book is sent to you, from the UK, with free postage and generally takes me about 5 to 10 working days to arrive very well packaged at my doorstep.

Simple to use, a breeze and very good prices. Why would you go elsewhere unless you want to pay more for the same product?

Chippendale

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Always a delight to shop from Book Depository!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2017

To be honest I never had any issues. A diverse range of books with 20-30% off. Hardly find any discount on animation and design books elsewhere. Delivery sometimes takes a week, but thats alright. But customer service is very helpful I always get a prompt reply even if its a minor issue or delay.

sydney

• 1 comment
  • 12 helpful votes

Verified Customer

one book came torn to pieces

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2017

Order several books from here. Prices are competitive. Was not impressed however to receive one of my brand new books i paid for torn apart. Use some care!!!

Service has gone downhill

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2017

Back around 2011 I rarely had problems with Book Depository orders, and when I did the customer service was excellent and they were quickly resolved. Now it seems there is something wrong with every order (books not sent, or sent to the wrong address so they get returned to sender). Customer service also seems to have been moved to a different country - at any rate the person I'm emailing now about a lost order doesn't seem to understand anything I'm saying. Good incentive to buy from within Australia next time.

Perth

• 5 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 15 helpful votes
Private message

Poor customer service. On hold for ages, emails ignored!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2017

3 weeks since a book was ordered. Emails asking for updates ignored. I accept that books from overseas can be delayed but to get blatantly ignored is an insult.

Private message

The Worst Of The Worst Ever!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2017

If I could rate these jerks a zero, I would. They don't post items using tracking numbers they post it as a large letter. Absolute rubbish service. The book I ordered from England to Australia arrived within two weeks. The book I ordered from Melbourne is over a month overdue! I get told by 'customer service' to contact my local post office to see if they are holding anything under my name... pardon me but I don't live a small village of 15 people in the 1800's ... Complete and utter numpties! Will never ever ever ever use these mob again!

Melbourne

• 3 helpful votes

Sent wrong books twice

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2017

I was sent wrongs books twice in a row. It has cost me one month since I ordered them. I still can't get the right book. No sincere apologies, no express delivery for the correct book, only one dollar refund.
I bought some books including ABRSM grade 6 piano book with CD from Book depository. First time they sent me grade 1 book, without CD. It is obviously wrong just by feeling the thickness of the book. I requested for a replacement book by express, because the student's studying was delayed by them. They refused to send it by express, just refunded me 1 Australian dollar. After I waited for 2 weeks, they sent me another wrong book. This time it was a "sight reading book" which again was obviously wrong just by common sense because again it doesn't have CD.
Everytime there is always a different person replies my email, I don't think they even know what is going on. This company seems to have a big chaos in their book handling and logistic system.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Late shipping

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2017

The shipping timing from UK to Aus, is 5 to 8 working days but they deliver after 11 working days. Sorry, you lost me Book Depository.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Dust jacket of hardback book folded and creased

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2017

Bought a hardback two weeks ago and arrived today and I'm pretty disappointed with it. The dust jacket is badly folded and creased. Not only the edges (which I understand may happen during its delivery) but its folded in the centre as well. The free bookmark we get from every book purchase was also badly bent, folded. I fail to see how this occurs during delivery when the bookmark is smaller than the hardback book.

No Customer service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2017

I used to love them but recently I placed an order and they mailed it to a 7 year old address. None of my address details on either their website or paypal still had that address. I emailed them immediately but got no response. I emailed them 5 times and they still sent it to the old address and then afterwards emailed me and said it was my fault and nothing they could do. I won't be using them again, there are heaps of online book shops that have better customer service.

Waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2017

Delivery is poor, ordered my book over a month ago and still haven't got it. I have contacted customer service and they were not able to help me to track where's my order. Now I have to leave the country and wasted my money ordering this book which I even won't be able to receive. Shame!

Very disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2017

In the past I have loved this company. Unfortunately I emailed them 3 days prior to my last order being dispatched in order to change the address on the order as there was a problem when placing it and they informed me it didn't turn up in time. The book was posted to a place 7 hours away from me and I now need to rebuy the book. Very disappointed in the poor service. I will think twice before using them again.

Sydney

• 3 answers
  • 27 helpful votes
Private message

Never had a problem and a great range of books

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2017

I love the Book Depository, it's my go to place to when I want to buy a book. I find that the traditional bricks and mortar bookshops have very limited books these days.

I can usually find the book I'm after on the Book Depository, and often there is a range of book covers to choose from (I find Australian big book retailers like to stock movie cover books). Normally, I buy several books at once and they come separately (most likely because they're being shipped from different warehouses).

This doesn't really bother me, because it allows me to get started on a book while I wait for the others to arrive.

Overall a top notch book retailer - easy to move through and doesn't spam you with emails.

Verified Customer

Great customer service even with my mistake

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2017

I have ordered books from The Book Depository for a few years, all of which have arrived in a timely fashion, until recently. I ordered 5 books of which only 1 arrived. After contacting customer support they offered to resend the missing 4 books. It was only after I received the last books did I realise that I had entered the wrong Post Code (luckily still in Sydney). Hence it was only luck that occasionally Australia Post would figure out the mistake and redirect the books to me.

Hence I only have the highest regard for The Book Depository customer support (and the lowest regard for my slack postal address entry skills). Plus kudo's to Australia Post.

Sydney

Private message

Never had any issues. Cheaper than local aus. book sellers

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

The book depository is significantly cheaper than local stores such as dymocks, especially for hardback books. never had any issues with the shipping/delivery (always came with nice free bookmarks), albeit a bit slow. A good local alternative that provides faster shipping is booktopia.

Surprisingly excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

After reading some mixed reviews about Book Depository, including some people's seemingly terrible experiences, I was really hesitant to risk buying through them. Nevertheless, the price was so much cheaper, I figured I may as well give it a shot. I ordered on July 4th, late afternoon. The order was shipped on July 6th and arrived in my letter box on July 12th. I was really surprised and impressed. The packaging was simple (a bubble wrap satchel) but the book was in perfect condition. I'm really impressed and hope future experiences are this good!

1 of 16 pages

I assume everyone knows that these problems we're all having have gradually crept on since Amazon took over the Book Depository a few years back? I'm speculating they want you to use the soon-to-arrive-in-Aus, Amazon service, so they are gradually making the book depository worse and worse. Buy your competition and run him into the ground and all that... some people seem to want to switch to Amazon, which is what they want you to do. I've switched to Booktopia, Aussie owned. Who else has made the switch?

jaya36 asked on Jun 06, 2017

Answer this

I definitely prefer Booktopia,they are much more reliable than Book Depository,I made a order with Book depository that I believed they had in stock which turned out to be a lie and while I had to get a refund they still advertise the same book as available but Booktopia is better since they are more honest and you do get your book but it's interesting what you said about amazon buying the company,from what I have read Book depository was actually good before Amazon bought them out so maybe all these issues now may be deliberate.

Yes, Book depository used to be excellent, their logistics was brilliant, their prices were spectacular... then it was sold, and I started getting damaged, late, mis-addressed and badly packed books. Never again!
Looks very, very deliberate to me... it's been gradually declining, and they think we're too dµmb to notice... that offends me very much indeed! It must be so, because it wasn't broken, so why fix it? They actually said they had new systems in place and then started lying to my face about what had gone wrong.

I didn't know they were bought by Amazon. All i know is that their customer service is currently a disgrace and I have spent the last few weeks trying to chase my order. Every single customer service officer has provided me with a DIFFERENT answer, so I don't know what is going on. Being in another country, it is difficult to get the matter escalated or to speak to an actual person who has the authority to resolve the issue. I may have to ask my credit card company to resolve this.

Are their deliveries to South Africa reliable?

Geo asked on Apr 25, 2017

Answer this

In my opinion I think Book depository is unreliable,me and also a lot other people have experienced issues with this company,they tend to advertise books as available and ready to be ship but in reality they don't have them in stock and you end up chasing them for a answer,I would go elsewhere for your book purchases.

I don't think it will be reliable. Book depository have been really bad since Amazon took over. I used to love it.
They are having problems printing your address, even though you provide it correctly.
The customer service is also bad, now, and I have had damaged books arrive. I can't recommend them anymore.

Did anyone buy books from book depository and shipped in Italy? Did you spent some additional charges upon receiving the parcel? Thank you..

phengtas asked on Dec 27, 2016