Parmelia

• 1 question

Great prices

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

Have shopped at book depository for years now fast service, great prices fast and free shipping, stress free shopping, its great just bought book took less than a week to get it, any problems with the order and the customer service is great,. Very happy thanks.

Shocking customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

I ordered a book and they mailed it to an incorrect address. When I notified them of this their reply was that Australia Post altered the address?? Really???? As the book still hasn't arrived...two weeks since dispatch...I emailed them again and the reply was that they advise their customers to check with the local post office. So this happens regularly?? They sent it to the wrong address and I have to chase it up! Their tracking system is next to useless. The lack of customer service is appalling. The only information is that the book has been dispatched. Their email told me that much!!
Fortunately it wasn't an expensive book so I'll order another from Booktopia which is what I should have done in the first place. They've always mailed to the correct address and Australia Post hasn't had cause to change it!

Damaged Items, crap customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2018

I have ordered 8 books over the course of a year from the same series. All but two of these books have come damaged, one of them not having arrived as of yet (no idea where it is, it was apparently sent 13 working days ago). You may not be paying for postage but you may as well be having them sent wrapped in a plastic bag. Pay for postage somewhere else.

Sent Wrong Book

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2018

Ordered a book as a present for a friend.
Incorrect book sent and then they said it was my fault for being listed incorrectly on their website, really basic stuff.
Customer service is appalling.
Strange because they USED to be great...
Caution!!!

Frustrating and Inadequate Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2018

I purchased a pre-ordered Hardback book in September as a gift for my daughter. Received a parcel from Book Depository on 31/10/2018. The book was not what I ordered. I promptly emailed the company asking how to do a return & exchange for the actual book I ordered. I received what seemed like an automated response: "I am very sorry to hear that your order has not yet arrived. I can confirm that it was dispatched on the 18th October 2018. It should have arrived by now; perhaps it has been delayed in the post. Have you checked to see if this is being held at your local sorting office? If you have still not received this please contact us again confirming that the above address is correct; we will then look into the matter further for you."
I had given a detailed description of the book I ordered and of the incorrect book received. Their response made no sense. Sent another email with the same details, their response was to ask for the details of the books, order number & ISBN number of the book received. Details already previously given. I scanned the receipt and cover of the book and emailed them back.....again detailing their error. I frustratingly got the response of where to send the book to and "Please include the packing slip as this provides all the information needed to process your refund and also a brief note explaining the reasons for your return. I am afraid that we are unable to reimburse customers for expenses incurred returning titles to us." Asking me to pay for the return of the book, an error made on their end, and receive a refund, not the ordered book. I came to decision that it's not worth the hassle of further contact with them and will keep the book sent and order the one I actually want from an Australian book supplier.

Great customer focus

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2018

My order was missing due to some issue with AU POST delivery in AU. Upon informing the customer care about the matter, they tried their best to track the post unsuccessfully and had promptly sent me a replacement order.
Guess this is the reason why companies grow. Customer focus !!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 04, 2018

I regularly purchase books from book depository and always receive it on time and in perfect condition. I would recommend it

Sydney

Will not use again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 03, 2018

I have ordered from Book Depository on quite a number of occasions but will not again.
Through my account I ordered a $40 book to be delivered to my home address, as I have done before. It was done in a hurry as we were about to leave for a trip and the book was a present for my niece who was house sitting. Upon our return I learned that the book had not arrived.
Looking into it I have learned that the parcel was incorrectly addressed - it seems that the Book Depository System does not produce all of the delivery information that is held on the account - you need to re-enter the delivery information each time! The company have since confirmed this and that it is a common error from customers.
So my item was sent to my correct name, my correct house number - BUT no Street NAME - the correct suburb and postcode were there - the street name was the only piece of the address missing even though it is held on my account and all other information was populated.
I understand it now and at first thought it was all my fault but now I think the company should also take some responsibility for their systems.
It is now 4 months down the track and each time I contact the the service area they tell me the goods have not been returned and to contact Australia post and please check again in 10 days - all very nice but a brush off.
Australia Post tell me that if they receive an item incorrectly addressed it is immediately returned to sender - they 'may' keep it for a maximum of 2 weeks in case anyone enquires.
The service centre normally answer my emails within minutes however today I have asked for the tracking number and no response! Australia Post have told me that anything bigger than an envelope has a tracking number and this was a big book so it would have been sent as a parcel.
So $40 out of pocket, I feel sure the book has been returned to them and I am now going to support Booktopia for my online needs - I might pay for postage but at least i will get my item!

Very poor communication!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2018

A slight miss-spelling of my email address on my first order order( which I notified BD of Immed'ly.) led to disaster! I received several replies all saying they could not reply as my email did not correspond to the original.. The 5 security questions were answered, prob. 3 times, I pointed out repeatedly that the initial email address would not work, etc,etc.. Clearly their 'Team" did not read their mail-- It appeared they simply pressed a standard reply key.
The "customer service ???" really needs to be reviewed. As an 'oldie', time's not a big issue. so I persevered, but at one stage I thought a $25 paperback was not worth the stress---I'd get it from another supplier..
The issue was eventually resolved, with some constructive (simple) advice.

Private message

Good luck getting a refund for a return

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2018

I am a regular customer. I could get past the slow and very late postage because it's free postage. But i had a book not arrive and as another reviewer stated they just tried to blame the post office. Skip that drama and head to my current nightmare; I ordered a book and it wad not as described AT ALL, it was basically a $30 notepad, furious I asked how to do a return and the said I had to pay for return postage, fine, whatever, so I did and sent it to their returns facility in chullora NSW. I did it in the AUS POST shop. This was back in early September. I sent a few emails to see the progress and the email responses were terrible like it was the first contact I had made. A couple of days ago I checked again and they said they still haven't received it. BULL the responses were like that of telemarketers and I don't believe English is the first language because everything was getting lossy in translation. I tried contacting the facebook page and they just gave me a different email address but to the same support section. I don't care if it's $30 or $500 I want my can money back for an item that wasn't as described and this total crap I'm going through is ridiculous. Stick with booktopia!!

Singapore

Verified Customer

Scam in the name of free delivery

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

In the name of free delivery, the book that I ordered never reached the designated address. Upon contacting, they asked me to contact the local post office without naming a single one (I wonder if they air drop to any random company? Won't the company have the ties with at least one post office company?). Apparently because its a free delivery they don't care about it and refused to give me a refund when I emailed them about the problem.
Never going to order from them. Not recommended at all.

Toowoomba City

Not a good start.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2018

Having only recently registered with the company I purchased a couple of items that were sent a few days apart. The calendar arrived today and upon inspection it is a reformatted copy of the American edition from last year, with exactly the same images from the US edition for 2018. I emailed the company and the response from Andre P thanked me for my message and said sorry for the way I feel and explained that this is definitely not the service that they would like to experience.

He said that he could not assist any further.

I am trying to contact them again as I want to return the item that is to me completely unusable for a refund. So far they are not responding to these requests. This is my first order with BD and it seems that they completely uncaring and do not care with customer satisfaction. Hopefully the next item will arrive soon and be ok.

I will not shop with them again as they seem untrustworthy and I will be out of pocket due to their poor attitude to their paying customers.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Used to be good now it’s awful

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

I have been ordering from this site for 2-3 years. I used to get my orders quickly and in great condition and when I did have a problem the customer service was helpful and replied quickly. Recently however I made an order and after a month did not receive it. I sent an email asking for them to be sent out again and 4 days later hadn’t received an answer. I emailed again asking for a refund this time as I was tired of waiting for the books and they replied saying they had ordered a second shipment of the books. I replied again asking for a refund and they finally gave it to me. I don’t know what’s happened to the company maybe some one else is in charge but they no longer seem to care about the customers and I don’t think I’ll be ordering again as other sites have similar prices with better shipping times and communication

Misrepresenting products/making returns impossible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

Have bought from this company for yrs. Recently bought an old edition of a book. Unfortunately I received an up to date version so reordered. Same thing happened again. When it came to returning goods was told I couldn’t return them in the UK, I had to return them to Australia at my expense! Turns out a new edition was launched over the summer and they clearly didn’t want me to return old stock. They have been using photos of an edition which is many years out of date. I complained to amazon who agreed that this was unfair and refunded me. This is blantant deceit and I would beware of buying from this company again. Interestingly I made a further complaint and was told that I could return the books - to an address less than half an hr from my home!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Missing part on my order/wrong edition sent

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2018

I received the wrong edition that differs from the picture and the description of the item i ordered which did not included the jigsaw alphabet which was the reason of my purchase.
After several email they are now agreeing to the return but not to the international fees for the expedition.
it is not right.

They don't even have the book!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2018

Don't waste your time waiting your book because they can't even get the book from suppliers.
I had tried to order the same book TWICE. After waiting couple of days after I put my order my book was still not dispatched.
So, I had to contact them to get more info, then i was told TWICE they can't get the book from supplier but happy to refund. However, on their website the book was showed " available, dispatched in 2 business days"
So, don't only attract by their cheaper price but wasting your time coz you never get it!

Very slow delivery.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

My book was mailed to me on Sep 7. I did not receive the book till Sep 28. I will not order a book that originates from this company.

Book Depository Free Shipping BUT Damaged Goods

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2018

Have ordered from Book Depository many times. The prices are great and so is the free global shipping. I have recieved damaged books about 7 times out of 10, always along the bottom edge of the book where it seems the bottom fold-in trim of the box is forced up inside to seal the package closed. Always the same damage. I love the great prices, but the packaging / shipping more often than not delivers damaged goods. Shipping always takes a week or two longer than quoted. Maybe the company could invest in some slightly larger boxes and use bubble wrap for protection, but then I guess shipping would not be free. I'll continue to buy throw away paperback novels and such, but I have ordered expensive items only to receive them with creases and ruined covers - extremely disappointing.

Book Depository has the BEST PRICES around, BUT products will more often than not, come damaged from how they're packaged.

Recommend only buying cheap paperbacks or books that don't matter if they come with the cover and the first 5 (or so) pages inside damaged. Price = Great. Quality of Shipping = Poor.

Obvious to see which reviewers on here are writing reviews on behalf of the company. The negative reviews, I feel are much closer to the truth... if not a little exaggerated understandably due to the emotions involved with a bad experience.

Negative Experience

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 28, 2018

The Book Depository do not track their items. I have ordered books from them and never received them. I asked if they could be tracked but they do not do this. I have had to get replacement books sent by the company but in doing that I don't even know if the replacements will get to me.

Poor quality books

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

Overall I am happy with this company, bit there are things one needs to be aware of. They have a tendency toward selling throw away quality paperbacks with non acid free paper that is as thin as 1 ply toilet paper and feel terrible in the hand.
I've tried to avoid getting these by choosing the more expensive titles but I have still occasionally been let down. The only foolproof way so far is to buy hardback... Don't pollute the world with more trash by buying this kind of rubbish, books should be handed down to your grandchildren.

1 of 26 pages