Always the cheapest!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2018

I was surprised to see a lot of negative reviews on here, as I have never had an issue with The Book Depository. The only thing that keeps me from giving 5 stars is the slow processing time. I fail to believe it takes 72 hours to put a book in a package and send it, but hey, I'm not usually in a rush to get it, so this doesn't bother me too much. Shipping times are about what you'd expect coming from the UK to Aus. They have a great selection of titles and are always the cheapest. Would recommend.

Unauthorised Order

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2018

I will never order from Book Depository ever again. I received an incorrect order, it was an order that I had not even placed, the customer service team could not prove to me that an order had been placed. After emailing them back and forth for two weeks they continued to refuse to pay for the postage of the return of the books. Their customer service is disgusting.

False advertising

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2018

I ordered a book on the 1st of february online where it stated the book as in stock. It was dispatched on the 7th of feb and is now the 14th of feb and have recieved nothing the book was suppossedly only coming from victoria!

Perth, Western Australia

Verified Customer

Slow delivery and uncommunicative.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 13, 2018

The book was suppose to be dispatched within 2 days and arrive within 4 to 6 days of dispatch. It was dispatched 7 days after the order was placed. It has not arrived as yet.

Return Lost

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2018

I accidentally ordered an online book instead of the hardback version in Dec. 2017. I returned the product Key unopened to the address provided early Jan. A month later and I still have not been refunded. I have been told to e-mail them each week to check if my product has been scanned into their system.
Ridiculous. Should've just kept the online key, as I am now $50 out of pocket, with no book.

melbourne

• 7 helpful votes

Highly recommended

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2018

Fast shipping and very cheap price
I bought my daughter's school books which was very expensive here in Australia.
I got the books for half price from book depository.
I am very happy with free and fast shipping.

I love the book depository

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2018

They have a huge range, great prices and worldwide free delivery!!! Their customer service is wonderful. They promptly replied to all my emails.

Poor advertising with delivery

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 04, 2018

Ordered 2 books for my daughters class at school.

When she opened them there was advertising for free wine. Why would you put advertising in with kids books is beyond me.

Other than that books came within 5 days.

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Do Not waste your money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2018

I wish I had read these reviews before purchasing on the Book Depository. I ordered a book 15 days ago believing it would take 1-2 days. I received an email stating it was dispatched 5 days after ordering but the book still has not arrived. I’ve emailed them multiple times and received a generic copy paste reply telling me to check my local post office. I have checked and it’s not there. I don’t believe I will ever see the book or my money again. Epic fail. Don’t believe the 5 star reviews. Seriously who takes the time to write a review unless you have something bad to say.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Armidale NSW

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Great Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2018

I have used this Service several times in the last month. I have found everything I have searched for and more. I have found the service very prompt and reliable. My books have arrived in a timely fashion in perfect condition. I have no hesitation in recommending this Business. I will be using it again in the near future.

A scam!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2018

Don't waste your money with these people. Three months, I have been trying to get a book from them. I paid in November 2017. Nothing came. I wrote to them saying it didn't arrive and received a generic "check the address and postal depot" letter. Still nothing. Wrote again, and they said another copy would be sent. That hasn't arrived. Wrote to them again and got the same generic letter. This has been a frustrating waste of time and money.

Damaged product terrible customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 29, 2018

Item arrived damaged. I was told I had to cover the cost of returning it. It wasn't even a book. It was a magazine, advertised as a book but was stapled not bound. Will never purchase from book Depository again.

• 19 helpful votes

No quality guarantee of stock - No responsibility

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 25, 2018

Bookdepository.com will list just about anything whether it be of quality or not. I purchased a book believing it to be of a reasonable quality, what I received was little better than a poorly printed brochure. BD refused to cover the costs of my returning it.

Sydney

• 2 helpful votes

Excellent Experience!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2018

For the first time, I ordered a book from book depository last Saturday and was dispatched straight away on Monday. It came today, a week after it was dispatched, in excellent condition in cardboard packaging. It also came with bookmarks and vouchers. Highly recommend.

Sent wrong book, not willing to fix mistake.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2018

I was sent the wrong book, which took about 5 months to get to me, the lady whom I dealt with told me they only do this when they cant get the book I ordered, she was quite rude in the email and not apologetic at all! I wont be ordering from them again as you 'only get whats available other wise what else may be in stock will be sent to you. You don't get the same book you ordered, just a different version of it no matter what price you pay, so if you pay extra to have a nicer looking version you will still end up with a version you don't want and pay extra anyway.

Book purchase online.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

Very happy with the online order process, communication and very speedy delivery. An excellent selection of books at fantastic prices. Excellent service

Melbourne

• 3 helpful votes

Order elsewhere!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

Ordered a book listed as 'available' and 'ships in 2-3 business days'. 11 business days, three emails and two directions to visit my 'local sorting office' later - the order still hadn't even been sent.

This company is a joke. They don't know what they're doing. Order elsewhere!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

redxcloud@gmail.com

• 1 helpful vote

Service is always excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2018

I bought 3 books from Book depository There is no postage to pay ever Everytime I oreder a book including these last 3 it arrives in a very short time in excellent condition The service is consistently good and hey find difficult to find books easily also

Cancelled an order

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2018

I pre-ordered a book a couple of months ago that is due out in about another two weeks. Last week I received an email saying the book had been released early from the publisher and it would soon be shipping to me. Today however I get an email that they have cancelled my order saying they cannot fulfil the order.

However the item isn’t even released for another two weeks. And is still showing on the website as available for pre-order!

• 5 helpful votes

DISPATCH TIMES ARE ALL COMPLETELY FALSE

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2018

Do not order a book if you care when it will arrive, simple as that. I have bought several books for presents to save on postage overseas, but unfortunately they have never been dispatched within the stated time.

1 of 20 pages

Has anyone ever had worse service than Book Depository offer? I think that any firm that did provide worse service has now gone out of business.Try any and all of the below similar book shops before risking it with Book Depository

IhateSPAM asked on Nov 26, 2017

Answer this

I have never had a negative experience with book depository.

I have only had negative experiences with book depository

Tried them instead of Booktopia or Angus & Robertson because they were about 15% cheaper. Bad move as it turns out. No idea where order is at now. Hopeless. Steer clear. I'll pay the extra coin to get reliability in the future and discuss these clowns with consumer affairs.

Has anyone ordered from BD recently & had them shipped the United States? If so, how was your experience? There’s a few books I would love to purchase for my children for Christmas, but I’m a little leary after reading all the negative reviews. If BD isn’t the way to go, could anyone recommend a similar online book company that is more reliable, reasonably priced & has good turn around time to the US? Thank You!

Alicia M asked on Nov 11, 2017

Answer this

Unfortunately I am from Australia, but I recently did order 3 books for children from BookDepository. One book never arrived, instead they send me a Physics book for university study and the other 2 books said that they were for age group 0-5, however when they arrived they were definitely for school aged children as they consisted of word puzzles, word searches and writing words. I am not sure what they were thinking, but I have never heard of a 0-5 year old that can read and write. As yet BookDepository have not resolved my complaint, they said I can return the 2 books at my own cost and the missing / wrong book they have yet to make any comment! I will definitely discourage any one from using them! I now use fishpond.com.au or booktopia.com.au.

I assume everyone knows that these problems we're all having have gradually crept on since Amazon took over the Book Depository a few years back? I'm speculating they want you to use the soon-to-arrive-in-Aus, Amazon service, so they are gradually making the book depository worse and worse. Buy your competition and run him into the ground and all that... some people seem to want to switch to Amazon, which is what they want you to do. I've switched to Booktopia, Aussie owned. Who else has made the switch?

jaya36 asked on Jun 06, 2017

Answer this

I definitely prefer Booktopia,they are much more reliable than Book Depository,I made a order with Book depository that I believed they had in stock which turned out to be a lie and while I had to get a refund they still advertise the same book as available but Booktopia is better since they are more honest and you do get your book but it's interesting what you said about amazon buying the company,from what I have read Book depository was actually good before Amazon bought them out so maybe all these issues now may be deliberate.

Yes, Book depository used to be excellent, their logistics was brilliant, their prices were spectacular... then it was sold, and I started getting damaged, late, mis-addressed and badly packed books. Never again!
Looks very, very deliberate to me... it's been gradually declining, and they think we're too dµmb to notice... that offends me very much indeed! It must be so, because it wasn't broken, so why fix it? They actually said they had new systems in place and then started lying to my face about what had gone wrong.

I didn't know they were bought by Amazon. All i know is that their customer service is currently a disgrace and I have spent the last few weeks trying to chase my order. Every single customer service officer has provided me with a DIFFERENT answer, so I don't know what is going on. Being in another country, it is difficult to get the matter escalated or to speak to an actual person who has the authority to resolve the issue. I may have to ask my credit card company to resolve this.

See all 9 questions about The Book Depository