sunshine coast

• 4 comments
  • 2 helpful votes

Not the same as it was

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2017

Items are taking a lot longer to arrive then they did several years ago and no it's not because of AUSpost, its Bookdepository taking 4 to five days or even longer to post the items. Another reviewer suggested that the service has gone downhill since Amazon took over BD several years ago. Apparently they are hoping Aussies will transfer their allegiance to the new Amazon Store……Nah… if I’d known Amazon now owned BD I would not have cared as long as the service was good, but if BD is now owned by Amazon then it’s Amazon giving bad service so I think I’ll go back to Booktopia & QBD.

Ballarat, VIC

• 1 comment
  • 4 answers
  • 38 helpful votes
Private message

Fast delivery and good price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2017

I have made several purchases through the Book Depository and their prices are very good and shipping is quick. I have never had to return anything or deal with their customer service so I can't comment on that. I have not had any issues with deliveries and I would definitely buy from them again. Their website is also easy to navigate.

Always great

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

I buy lots of books through the book depository. Great titles and often the best price online or in book shops.

Verified Customer

Total lack of customer care and no accountability

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2017

Books that I ordered have not been delivered however Book Depository keep telling me I need to follow up with Australia Post blah blah
Very frustrating for them to take no accountability for the delivery

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Terrible if you return items

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Prompt delivery of items. But don't use this company if you want to return items because they claim that they don't receive them.

Brisbane

Private message

I cannot live without book depository!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2017

Best online book store ever! Super fast postage and great selection of cheap books! I was an.obsessive bookshop shopper but now shop for books only at book depository!

perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2017

the price was right, delivery super fast. no packaging and postage charge. I will not hesitate to use them again.

Cake book

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2017

Quick delivery and good value especially with free delivery. Will use again. The book is as described. Seen it advertised for more plus delivery.

Timely, accurate and great prices

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

I have ordered many times and have never had an issue with turnaround times, charges, book condition or anything else. I have saved so much money by buying books from here and I can get hold of titles not otherwise easily available. Incredible range of calendars too. I simply cannot fault them
PS love the bookmarks they send also

Doncaster East

• 1 answer

Verified Customer

Dishonest company with terrible customer service!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2017

I have used book depository for years now, but recently I have noticed their service have dropped significantly! I recently bought three books, I paid through PayPal the amount owed, but when the money was taken out of my account it was $8.60 more than I was originally quoted. After several emails, they repeatedly blamed my bank saying it was international fees from my bank, but I confirmed with my bank that there was no fee involved in the transaction. The entire amount was definitely charged by book depository. Book depository refused to look into it further, they just continued to blame my bank. I feel that this is a way for them to boost their income, so be careful, don’t believe for a second that because they told you a book is $20 it will actually be charged as $20!

• 1 comment
  • 23 helpful votes

Excellent Service and Fast Delivery times

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

I have made many purchases from the Book Depository online store. The online service is professional and delivery times of items has been quick and flawless. Keep up the excellent work!! I will definitely keep on purchasing from The Book Depository online store. So much to choose from wow! The prices are reasonable as well.

Adelaide

Love this site

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

Book Depository is my go to site for books. The books are always reasonably priced, it has free shipping worldwide which is a bonus and all deliveries I have had , have reached Australia within 2 weeks. The books always come well packaged, I've never received any damaged books.

Rockhampton

Private message

Book Depository, terrible service.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

My family have used Book Depository for years however in the last 12 months the service has been terrible. We have received damaged books, had books sent to the wrong address, even though the correct address is stated clearly on our orders and we have been waiting for weeks now for a book which was pre ordered 5 months before the release date and all we get back is a standard e mail saying that they are waiting for more stock to arrive. Ditto the books that they sent to the wrong address, we received an email to say they had shipped (to the wrong address) and now are being told that they are out of stock and have to wait even longer while someone else received our copies for free. The website still states that all the books we are waiting for are available to ship within two days which is blatant false advertising if they are not in stock. We are very annoyed as loyal customers we have spent hundreds of dollars on this website and all customers deserve better service. Think we will have to change to Wordery and give them a go as BD do not deserve our hard earned money.

November 9th 2017 Update: Insult to injury

My daughter has now received a reply regarding the book which arrived damaged. To add insult to injury all they offered was a 30% discount on a book that is only fit to be thrown into the bin, a book that was intended as a gift. It is not only deplorable behaviour on their part it is very bad business practice although I suppose that now Amazon are running what was once a very good site that they do not care if they lose some customers because they are such a big and powerful force. What they need to remember though is that the bigger you are the harder you fall and there have been many companies who thought that they were invincible only to discover that they were not. Sort yourselves out Amazon.

Private message

Use to be good but customer service is terrible

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

Ive used book depository in the pass with no issue. Recently purchased some children books and one of them was not what i expected. Contacted BD with my concern and they pretty much dont care. I advised that in all the other listings for these books, they clearly state when a book is a miniature version but one of the book i purchased didnt have the miniature listing in the title, so i was under the impression it was the normal book. They are however not interested in this fact and said i should have read fine print with dimensions. So i now a book that doesnt match the others in this collection :(
So bewave

Hampton Park

Purposefully Misleading

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2017

After needing a textbook for an exam in just over a week, I purchased through book depository. It said it was available, would be dispatched within 3 business days and would only take less than five days for delivery after than. Calculating the worst case scenario given in their delivery times, I purchased the book feeling confident that it would arrive on time. A week past, and I had no information or update on my delivery, so I inquired to the status, and it was still processing, meaning they had to source it overseas. Firstly, the website said that is was available in Australia and would be dispatched within 3 days. Secondly, I was not given any information about the sourcing overseas.
After realizing that the delivery would never reach me in time, I decided to cancel the order as it had taken over a week to dispatch and purchase locally, even though it was expensive. And what to you know, conveniently the order gets dispatched a few hours after I ask for it to be cancel. Now I have to pay to send it back to them, and still won't have it in time.
This whole website is a joke when it comes to service and is purposefully misleading.

Private message

Don't order textbooks at this website.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2017

I ordered an HSC textbook at the Book Depository. To make sure of the timely delivery, I emailed the BD around the time the book had been published, and they assured me it would be delivered without delay. When other people who ordered the textbook at other websites started receiving the copy, I contacted BD again. They did not secure the copy and could not find it anywhere. The publisher's website said the textbook was sold out and not available for 4-6 weeks, and the HSC term has already started.
The BD failed in 3 stages. First, it did not secure the copy when I ordered it, second, it assured me the timely delivery without confirming the availability when I sent follow up email, lastly, it did not look hard enough to find a copy even after finding their usual supplier did not have it (I called up bookstores and found a copy eventually)
I had to pay the higher price for the copy, and the BD does not refund the price difference, meaning they did not take any responsibility. And no, they did not give any compensation for the inconvenience.
I strongly recommend others not to order time-sensitive items (such as textbooks) at this website.

Melbourne

• 2 helpful votes

Children's book

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2017

First order from book depository and it was well packaged and arrived within the time frame of 8 days. The prices are good and free delivery is a bonus.

Private message

Never had any problems until now!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2017

I order the majority of my books from book depository and have never had a problem until now. I preordered a signed copy of Turtles All The Way Down over a month before release on October 10 and still haven't received it. I have sent numerous emails to customer service and they have been absolutely useless, basically just expecting me to wait around until they eventually cancel my order like they did with another book I preordered recently. If they aren't going to have enough stock they shouldn't let so many people buy the book. I have now had to cancel my order and buy the book for a higher price somewhere else and am really worried I won't get some of the other books I have preordered for next year.

Melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Highly recommended - quick, cheap and reliable!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2017

I've ordered about 15 different books from The Book Depository over the last 2 years and have been consistenly impressed with the very low prices, the free postage and the fast delivery. They are my 'go to' company if I'm buying a gift for someone who lives in a different state in Australia or country because I can buy an awesome book and post to them for less than the price of just posting something from here! I have had one problem in all my transactions (I ordered 2 copies of a book and only 1 arrived) and they resolved it for me immediately. I will continue to use this company whenever I order books online.

Appalling Service!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2017

After waiting 3 weeks for my book to arrive, I contacted BD as to my parcels whereabouts only to be told that I would have to track it down myself with no further information than my name and address. The parcel was coming from the UK so at this stage, it could be anywhere! Never in my life have I been asked to conduct my own investigation into where my package would be in which I have already paid for in advance!

After contacting my local post office and having no luck whatsoever, I demanded a refund. I was refunded with no single sense of an apology for the inconvenience and terrible service I was provided. If you don't look after your customers BD, you will lose them and I can assure you I will never be using your services ever again!

First time customer, last time customer.

One very unhappy customer

1 of 17 pages

Has anyone ordered from BD recently & had them shipped the United States? If so, how was your experience? There’s a few books I would love to purchase for my children for Christmas, but I’m a little leary after reading all the negative reviews. If BD isn’t the way to go, could anyone recommend a similar online book company that is more reliable, reasonably priced & has good turn around time to the US? Thank You!

Alicia M asked on Nov 11, 2017

Answer this

Unfortunately I am from Australia, but I recently did order 3 books for children from BookDepository. One book never arrived, instead they send me a Physics book for university study and the other 2 books said that they were for age group 0-5, however when they arrived they were definitely for school aged children as they consisted of word puzzles, word searches and writing words. I am not sure what they were thinking, but I have never heard of a 0-5 year old that can read and write. As yet BookDepository have not resolved my complaint, they said I can return the 2 books at my own cost and the missing / wrong book they have yet to make any comment! I will definitely discourage any one from using them! I now use fishpond.com.au or booktopia.com.au.

I assume everyone knows that these problems we're all having have gradually crept on since Amazon took over the Book Depository a few years back? I'm speculating they want you to use the soon-to-arrive-in-Aus, Amazon service, so they are gradually making the book depository worse and worse. Buy your competition and run him into the ground and all that... some people seem to want to switch to Amazon, which is what they want you to do. I've switched to Booktopia, Aussie owned. Who else has made the switch?

jaya36 asked on Jun 06, 2017

Answer this

I definitely prefer Booktopia,they are much more reliable than Book Depository,I made a order with Book depository that I believed they had in stock which turned out to be a lie and while I had to get a refund they still advertise the same book as available but Booktopia is better since they are more honest and you do get your book but it's interesting what you said about amazon buying the company,from what I have read Book depository was actually good before Amazon bought them out so maybe all these issues now may be deliberate.

Yes, Book depository used to be excellent, their logistics was brilliant, their prices were spectacular... then it was sold, and I started getting damaged, late, mis-addressed and badly packed books. Never again!
Looks very, very deliberate to me... it's been gradually declining, and they think we're too dµmb to notice... that offends me very much indeed! It must be so, because it wasn't broken, so why fix it? They actually said they had new systems in place and then started lying to my face about what had gone wrong.

I didn't know they were bought by Amazon. All i know is that their customer service is currently a disgrace and I have spent the last few weeks trying to chase my order. Every single customer service officer has provided me with a DIFFERENT answer, so I don't know what is going on. Being in another country, it is difficult to get the matter escalated or to speak to an actual person who has the authority to resolve the issue. I may have to ask my credit card company to resolve this.

Are their deliveries to South Africa reliable?

Geo asked on Apr 25, 2017

Answer this

In my opinion I think Book depository is unreliable,me and also a lot other people have experienced issues with this company,they tend to advertise books as available and ready to be ship but in reality they don't have them in stock and you end up chasing them for a answer,I would go elsewhere for your book purchases.

I don't think it will be reliable. Book depository have been really bad since Amazon took over. I used to love it.
They are having problems printing your address, even though you provide it correctly.
The customer service is also bad, now, and I have had damaged books arrive. I can't recommend them anymore.

See all 9 questions about The Book Depository