Despicable Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2019

I ordered a book before Christmas and got an email a couple of days later saying that my order was on its way. It's now been 3 weeks and still no sign of my book. I've contacted their "customer service" and they keep telling me to go to my local Australia Post distribution centre and see if they are holding anything for. Pretty stupid thing to recommend in the first place as AP doesn't work that way. Regardless I went to TWO distribution centres that deliver all mail to my suburb and every other surrounding suburbs for miles. They had a look at what they had on their shelves and as expected there was nothing for me. They even told me that they can't do jack crap without a tracking number. I really don't know why BD doesn't offer a delivery option with tracking for an additional cost.
I emailed them back saying that I had already gone to two AP distribution centres and got an email back saying I should go to my local AP distribution centre and check. Never mind that I had just told them that I had already done this. I'm waiting on a reply but am quickly realising that I'll NEVER see my book or a refund of the $340 I paid. If anyone out there has a contact number for this rotten company they I would really appreciated it. I had made several other orders with them which had arrived on the specified time but it seems that the most expensive order I've ever placed with them has gone missing. I'm even beginning to wonder if the book was ever dispatched in the first place. Again, if anyone has a phone number for this lot the I would really appreciate it. It seems that the person I've been emailing about my missing order is somewhere in Asia and hasn't got a frigging clue about customer service.

Inability to execute an Order for a Book.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2019

Placed an order of the 9th of December 2018 to meet the deadline for pre Christmas delivery in Australia. As of the 14th January 2019 the book still has not been delivered. So many commitments made that have not been honoured - Book Depository's capacity to meet advertised delivery times does not align - ordinary service at best!

Appalling customer service merry-go-round of hell

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2019

Received a wrong item - different cover to the one pictured in my order and on the site.
Sent an image of the book I received along with a screenshot of my order - 24 hours and ten emails later they still have not agreed to send the correct book or a refund.
Each email the customer service representative asks me for more details about - it is the single most frustrating customer service experience. I feel that they are hoping I will just give up. Appalling.

Love books

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2019

A friend told me about the company saying they were good value for books. Compared them with a couple of other online companies. They were either on par or cheaper. There was once one hiccup with an order but it was rectified without problems. I intend to continue using them while books can still be bought.

Book never arrived.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2019

Ordered a book and the website said it was available, when it didn’t arrive I contacted them and they said they didn’t have it in stock.
They should not sell books that aren’t in stock! Don’t expect your book to arrive on time.

Sydney

• 4 comments
  • 4 helpful votes

Delivery Inadequate

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2019

Order a book just after Christmas for an early January birthday present. Delivery said it would be received well before the required date. However it has not arrived nor have any updates been provided. Turns out it was still processing as they didn’t have a copy. They should not accept orders for items they do not have in stock or at least let you know at the time of ordering that iis on back order like other book sellers.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

The book I ordered was overly expensive

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 31, 2018

I ordered the book "The True Story of the Jersey Boys: The Story Behind Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons" by Jennifer Warner. Firstly the book is under 100 pages and is paperback. There are spelling and grammatical mistakes and the story doesn't flow. There is a lot of factual information however, there is no order to it. I have to wonder how this book ever got published in the first place! I had to keep going backwards and forwards to reread information. The cost of this book was $19.99 which is a rip off such a small paperback which is very poorly written. I was very disappointed!

Misleading delivery times

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 29, 2018

The email I received says expected delivery duration is 10 days max for my country. After 15 days it still hadn't arrived.

I called my national mail service. I mentioned a company in the UK and an untracked parcel and they IMMEDIATELY knew I was talking about book depository.

These guys send their mail via untracked mail, promise delivery times that are wildly inaccurate and clearly have been doing so for some time.

My national mail service recommends people wait a month for these books to arrive... so much for 10 days....

Worst customer service ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 29, 2018

Ordered a Christmas book for my 5 year old on the 10th December. The website said the book would ship in 3 business days and should arrive at my place in 3 more business days because it was coming from Australia.

Well I finally revived my book, which was bent, on the 28th December.

Customer service was horrible. I will NEVER use this company again and would NOT recommend anyone using them.

Don't waste your time

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2018

Emailed about an ordered that was over due spent the next 10 days confirming pointless details that were all on the order that sent me at the time of order. I will never order with them again. Item was a Christmas gift so am very disappointed that it did not arrive. Asked for refund was told it can only happen when books are returned and that can take up to 10 weeks. I just gave up and referred to PayPal thankfully I paid using them as they treat there customer with respect and deal with you in a timely manner.
Went and ordered through Booktopia should have done that in the first place. I read all other reviews seems this is a common theme.

Melbourne

• 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

Never again!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2018

I have ordered books for Christmas presents in 5 December - 5 days before their stated Christmas cut off. Some books have been delivered in drive and drabs. I am still waiting on 3 that were supposed to be dispatched withing two days yet took 8 days to dispatch. Now with Christmas a couple days away I am forced to either risk it and hope they arrive in Christmas Eve or go and shop for replacement gifts. Multiple emails back and forth and they have been hopeless. I requested a refund and they didn't even acknowledge my request. Terrible. You might save a couple dollars ordering from them but waste so much time and energy following them up. I will never shop with them again.

They changed delivery address post order

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 25, 2018

Sent my books to a different town in the same postcode even though I entered the correct delivery address. They expected me to track them downwith AusPost. When I couldn't, no explanation or apology was forthcoming. Don't shop here. Save yourself the stress and use Booktopia instead!

Adelaide

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer

I wish I ordered from somewhere else

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 22, 2018

I ordered a few books on the 30/11/18, it is currently the 20/12/18 and the package hasn’t arrived. The website stated that you should expect delivery in 5-8 business days and so far no one has answered my emails or Facebook messages.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Gold Coast

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Less than a week to Christmas they cancel and refund my order without any notice...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2018

I bought a cooking book as a gift for Christmas for my sister, and I ordered this on 3 December. I didn't hear anything from them until today (19 December) regarding shipping, etc., and I was getting very nervous about delivery and whether the book would come in time for Christmas day. And then today, LESS THAN 7 DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS, they emailed me to let me know that they 'were unable to fulfill my order' and the order has subsequently been cancelled and refunded. THIS IS SERIOUSLY DISAPPOINTING, AND JUST BAD BUSINESS ETHICS.

The fact that they cancelled and refunded my order without any notice as well as any sort of remorse or $10 gift card to make up for it, etc., and how they also neglected to notify me until less than 7 days before my order even though I ordered more than 15 days ago....

Safe to say I will NEVER be buying from Book Depository again. How can they treat their customers like this and get away with it?

Book Depository has the best prices out there and with free worldwide shipping, how can you say no? However, if you want to avoid unnecessary drama/stress and disappointment, I highly recommend paying a few extra dollars and choosing a website that you know you can trust like Booktopia.

Scam!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2018

Ordered a couple of books from them, then my order on September 18th never showed up and we chased the delivery.
We were told we'd have to wait 8-10 WEEKS for their returns to come in...It's now December 18th and they still refuse to refund or resend our book.
This is a $24 book, not a massive order and the crap service and non-delivery of what we paid for has put me right off ever ordering from them.
They would have to do a hell of a lot to win back our trust or get our recommendation - and we order plenty of books each year.
Be careful when ordering from Book Depository. You might never get what you ordered, yet they will take your money!

Disgraceful service and attitude

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2018

Ordered books for Christmas with confirmed address and delivery times, but Bookdepository delivered to wrong address. When I told BD that the books had not arrived, they asked me to either wait for 10 weeks, or to place the order again. Ordering and paying twice for the same product must be in breach of Australian consumer law.

Not happy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2018

Ordered a book on the 5th December, told it was despatched on the 10th December. I have been waiting for 8 days. Quick to take money but given the run around on my purchase (this should be done by book depository) less than a week to Christmas and I guess I don't have a gift to hand out on Christmas. Thanks For nothing book depository

Cannot get what i ordered

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2018

I am a school teacher and i get mentally tired. I opened an account with book depository and must have made a mistake in my email. They then kept telling me that the email i was using was not the same one given. I told them i must have made a mistake and if they could tell me the email i was supposed to have used then i can fix it. After-all, i cannot go into the email if it is not mine without a password.
I kept explaining to them but all i got was cannot help you. They did take money though from my credit card.
Now i have no book and have not been refunded the money they took.
I am disgusted with them for this and have since gone to Monkey ape who have been good.
I am ashamed with them.

WA

• 2 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 8 helpful votes
Private message

Lowest prices doesn't mean everything

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2018

I've used Book Depository a handful of times, mainly for the unbelievably low prices and free delivery. But everytime I place an order I remember why I don't purchase there often.
Order processing takes at least a week, then delivery takes 2-4 weeks on top of that. Ridiculous. Regardless of what you buy, tracking is not shipped so when you do enquire about missing parcels they simply re-send out your order.
Shocking service. Email enquiries are responded to days after placing them.
I'll be shopping elsewhere for my books.
If only Australia Post could lift their game and deliver quicker than 10 days from most companies.

Better than expected

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

The book I bought didn't have the information I wanted (the obvious drawback of buying books online); the fast arrival from free shipping was surprising.

1 of 27 pages