Book Depository Scum. Do not trust them

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

I purchase 2 books on 25th July for RM120.68 They saying order being dispatch on 30th of July. When we ask their customer call [name removed] for tracking number. His unable to have the proof as they do not have tracking system. None order being receive. Watch out everyone do not trust this website.

Buying off this site is risky business

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

Ordered four books 14 business days ago, haven't arrived but have said they were dispatched on the 2nd of August. I'm not even sure if the books are on their way, I received no emails confirming that the books have been shipped, and I was given really general time frames of when I may receive my books (looks copy and pasted from their website). You can't actually track your delivery, because unlike other sites that will provide you with the courier service they use to deliver their products (So you can use the courier services website to track your order more accurately), Book Depository Doesn't! (They don't even give you a proper tracking number that you can put in a courier services 'track my order' section). The only information you find out is that the book/s have been 'dispatched' not super helpful in the long run. I was lured in by the 'affordable' prices of their products, but seriously questioning whether it was worth it now. Have recently been in contact with Book Depository and I am yet to hear back. The same standard of care, efficiency and diligence is not awarded to all customers, so if you're a risk taker this is the site for you! Otherwise, I wouldn't order off of here! I NEVER WILL AGAIN!

The Worst

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

Led to believe it is an Australian site with Aus postage but after purchase learn product actually comes from UK. Why all the Australia Postage listing then? Never again. NEVER. What did I get? Zilch.

After 50 emails still nothing resolved

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

I have been ordering 10 - 20 copies of the same book for years, as I work with the author and have not had a problem until I was sent 10x copies that were a missprint and I cannot use them. After over 50 emails I have not had the matter resolved, I sent scanned copies of the error to The Book Depository to prove the books were missprinted, and then they offered me a 20% refund. I refused because I need the books to be usable, now they asked them to be mailed back and have gone missing between delivery to them and them recording them received. Each email is the same round and round story saying the same thing, it feels like I am talking to a computer with a broken link. There is nobody who will respond to me who makes any sense and nobody cares that they are loosing heaps of business as I always refer them on to others to purchase from them - 100's of people will no longer be referred to them. This is the worst customer service I have experience anywhere. I know feel like it is pott luck dealing with this company, if your order arrives properly, great, if there are any problems, its your lot to wear as the company will not take any responsibility. There should be a law about this?

Really unreliable service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2018

I bought an Eggleston item last week. Bought it at 374€ from their website. Few days later, I saw the exact same item being sold at 299€ (including delivery) from their account on amazon. Requesting compensation for this 25% difference in price, I got a no for an answer. That really feels incorrect!

Best Bookshop & Customer Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2018

Have ordered hundreds of books from Book Depository. They have an incredible selection with amazing prices, plus they offer free delivery worldwide?! All my books have arrived in great condition and within the time period they recommend. The two times my books haven't arrived, the customer service has been extremely helpful and sent me replacement books with no cost to me. And if I end up with a double of any books they always allow me to keep them! I buy gifts, personal books and uni books, all for a cheaper price. Every few months they will send me a 10% discount code to use on any books! I love Book Depository and couldn't recommend them higher!

Verified Customer

It's a shame I won't be shopping with them again

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2018

Books at great prices and usually the cheapest on the market for an international seller.
Unfortunately, the 2 items I purchased arrived late and damaged. The first item's box was very squashed and completely ungiftable. The second item was apparently damaged in transit and resent without my knowledge until I sent an email enquiring about the delay.
I do commend their customer service as they emailed back promptly and resent both items. This experience, however, will deter me from shopping with them again, especially if I'm shopping for gifts.

• 1 answer

No books arrived

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2018

I ordered a book which supposed to be sent within 2 working days from UK. After 6 days I contacted them and they told me they have problem with the supplier. After another 3 days I decided to cancel my order and reorder diffrent version of the same book (they assured me that one could be send within 2 working days). After 3 working days the book is not sent yet. However their website still shows " dispatched within 2 working days from UK " even for the jtem which is not available.
Never again.

Perth

Unhappy Timer.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

It’s been 2 weeks now. Still not dispatched . When I email them only the same response on all the emails.
“Sorry for the delay We having trouble with our usual supplier”
but even now there website still says 2 days to dispatch.
I feel like it’s now theft.

• 3 helpful votes

Delivery Fail

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2018

I wish I had read some of the reviews here earlier before purchasing. What should've been a pretty straight forward experience is really just an utterly frustrating one. I made an order, paid and have never received my product. Period. I'm now onto my 6th email with the company, which keeps asking the same questions over and over and again and offering absolutely no solutions. It seems like it's a lottery, if you get lucky you might receive your book(s), but if you're not, then you have wasted your money entirely. I will NEVER order from them again and suggest you do the same. A complete waste of money and time!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Still not delivery, can I put 0 star?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2018

I had order 2 books and suppose to be here on 17/7, but still not here today and nothing in the post office... did you send the book at all?

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Books not received

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2018

I have purchased from Book Depository for a number of years and have never had a problem. My last order was for a number of books and amounted to approximately $AUD140.00. I paid by Pay Pal but the books had been sent to an undeliverable address (the street and number omitted). In the Book Depository my address had been altered - I certainly did not do it - why would I? My address on my Pay Pal account is correct and I have not had any trouble with any other purchases. Book Depository claims they will only resend my order when the books are returned to them but I will have to contact them weekly to see if they have been returned. The Resolution Specialist has resent 3 books but 6 remain undelivered amounting to $AUD97.00. I placed these orders at the beginning of June. The Customer Advisor still requires that I check weekly for their return there. I will not be using the Book Depository again as they do not seem to place any value on longstanding customers.

Book Depository price hikes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2018

I buy on average 2 books a month, so my wishlist is always full because I find the books I want and buy them when I have cash available. Over the past few months I ahve noticed a consistent increade in price of books. I thought I was loosing my mind but then I remembers a written list I had sent to my kids before mothers day (none of my wishes were granted btw), and today i found the list and compared it to current prices .THese are two on my list, dated 22 April 2018:

In budhas words, Bhikkhu Bodhi $19.62 - I paid 22.80 in July 2018
The Bhagavad Gita, Phd George Feuerstein $50.19 April prize $37.72 this is a ridiculous increase.

I have also noticed that every time i get a 10% discount voucher, the prise was increased before hand. So when I goto use it, it makes no difference.

I have noever had bad customer service and my issues were dealt with immediately even on a Sunday. So I cant fault them there, but the prices should not go up every month the way it does. Ido understand that there are % increases and discounts but from 37 to 50 in two months is a bit much as it was never discounted to 37 at the time.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Never disappoints

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2018

Cheap books - free delivery? What else can you ask.
I love The Book Depository, although lately the delivery times have exceed the 10 business days, I guess that's what you "pay" for a book half a price. So my recommendation is always plan ahead if you need the book for an specific date. I did get my refund because I emailed the second I realized the book was in Polish and not English.

Did not refund.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2018

I accidentally purchased the wrong book. After emailing Book Depository they said they would refund it if I returned it. I returned it and they didn't refund me.

South Perth

Beware returning books to Book Depository

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 23, 2018

I bought a 2 book set costing $100.20 and received only 1 book from the set.
After several emails, Book Depository asked me to return the single book to their warehouse in Chullora, NSW for a refund.
I posted it as requested in May using Australia Post Tracking.
Australia Post have confirmed that it had been delivered as part of a bulk manifest.
It is now July - over 2 months later - and Book Depository continues to tell me that they have not received it, so of course they cannot sort out a refund.
I have bought lots of books through Book Depository in the past, and been happy with them.
This is the first time I have had to return anything, and I do not intend to have to deal with their returns again.
Disappointing.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sent a replacement

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

After ordering from Book Depository many times, I have never had an issue, however my latest order placed on 1st June and dispatched on 5th June did not arrive after a month so I sent an email (2nd July) requesting a replacement in which they got back to me in an hour (pretty fast). Of course after going through the typical "did you check your post office question", they sent me a free replacement in which arrived in a week. So thanks I'm happy for that! Just have to be polite and the customer service will be polite back! Overall I am a happy customer.

Free shipping, affordable

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

I have purchased many books with book depository and have never been disappointed. I like the fact that its free shipping to Australia and I haven't had to wait for more than a week each time and that I have had each book arriving in great quality and undamaged. Book depository is one of my first places where I order books from. Highly recommend.

Verified Customer

Glad the bad reviews didn't put me off!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2018

I placed an order for 3 books and only then read the reviews. Too late to do anything, I could only pray my experience would be different to those awful ones I read about. Yesterday, 12 days after I placed my order, 2 out of 3 books arrived, a day before my birthday! Thank you Bookdepository for the excellent service... and I say excellent because I live in Malaysia and those books are flown in from the UK. Now waiting for my final book, which I'm now confident will arrive in the next few days.

Good resolution

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

Have found Book Depository to be very helpful when books have not arrived. They ensure a resolution on every transaction.

1 of 24 pages