Verified Purchase

Great customer service even with my mistake

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2017

I have ordered books from The Book Depository for a few years, all of which have arrived in a timely fashion, until recently. I ordered 5 books of which only 1 arrived. After contacting customer support they offered to resend the missing 4 books. It was only after I received the last books did I realise that I had entered the wrong Post Code (luckily still in Sydney). Hence it was only luck that occasionally Australia Post would figure out the mistake and redirect the books to me.

Hence I only have the highest regard for The Book Depository customer support (and the lowest regard for my slack postal address entry skills). Plus kudo's to Australia Post.

Never had any issues. Cheaper than local aus. book sellers

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

The book depository is significantly cheaper than local stores such as dymocks, especially for hardback books. never had any issues with the shipping/delivery (always came with nice free bookmarks), albeit a bit slow. A good local alternative that provides faster shipping is booktopia.

Surprisingly excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

After reading some mixed reviews about Book Depository, including some people's seemingly terrible experiences, I was really hesitant to risk buying through them. Nevertheless, the price was so much cheaper, I figured I may as well give it a shot. I ordered on July 4th, late afternoon. The order was shipped on July 6th and arrived in my letter box on July 12th. I was really surprised and impressed. The packaging was simple (a bubble wrap satchel) but the book was in perfect condition. I'm really impressed and hope future experiences are this good!

Melbourne

• 18 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 20 helpful votes
Private message

Once Upon a Time ..... the Best Book Seller

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

I've purchased so many Books from 'The Book Depository' for a lot of years and been happy with prices and service until now. For 2 of my recent orders they sent me damaged books . Then the next order they sent the wrong edition of my book. Customer Service was hopelessly inconsistent with different staff sending totally different messages to resolve the issue. Firstly they said to keep the wrong book and they would send the right one. Then someone else said they didn't have the edition I ordered but it was on their website but they cancelled the correct book anyway when I inquired why it hadn't arrived well over the expected shipping time and then another staff member decided to refund me but not send the book I had Ordered and then said I had to pay to send the wrong one back .Postage for that was more than the book cost and while it can go to Sydney they don't have a Reply Paid process.
All in all very disappointing for a company who once sold at good prices ,was efficient and books arrived promptly.
I'll be looking for a new supplier.

Sydney.

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Brought Quite a lot of Books from them b4 n they were Excellent on Prices n Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2017

It's a Pity that Amazon has brought B/Depository n their Services has gone That BAD, as i was thinking of buying quite a few books from them.
As i don't want 2 go thru any Hassle of Refund or Return. It 2 Bad as they have built up such a Good Reputation n Now has gone that Bad. So sorry 4 them. As the saying goes when ur Good Nobody Remember, When ur BAD, NOBODIES 4GETS.

Postage /Delivery

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2017

A very efficient service, I was kept informed

Verified Purchase

Poor services

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2017

After placing my order for my book on June 15th, it is now July 6th, and I have not yet received my order. After having spoken to TWO customer advisors, they both replied with the same thing: "To check the local postal services" so that they can continue to look into the matter further. Which I did, and still no package. Not only are the responses the same as each other, but from two separate customer advisors, meaning that it is not being handled by a single advisor. Furthermore, their customer response time is incredibly slow.

Horrendous Customer Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2017

Books were sent to the wrong address. Was not given any reason as to why. Now told that will have to wait 5-10 weeks for the books to be returned. This is assuming the books were sent back in the first place (which no-one can confirm since it was sent to the wrong address). Would never use again and do not reccommend.

Terrible customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2017

Book sent to wrong address after logging a support request. Have to wait 5 to 10 weeks for the book to go back as undeliverable. Won't use again.

Excellent and speedy service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2017

Pre ordered a book with 10 days to go before book released.. book was promptly dispatched on due date and delivered to us within a week.
100 % satisfaction

Use Booktopia

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

Use Booktopia. Way better service. This company lies about books being in stock. Still waiting. Really could use that school textbook.

Terrible service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2017

Don't use this company if you expect customer service, I've purchased hundreds of books only to find they have changed my address now and books are going to the wrong address. Despite numerous emails, they have failed to fix the problem. I'm closing my account because of this

1 of 25 pages

I assume everyone knows that these problems we're all having have gradually crept on since Amazon took over the Book Depository a few years back? I'm speculating they want you to use the soon-to-arrive-in-Aus, Amazon service, so they are gradually making the book depository worse and worse. Buy your competition and run him into the ground and all that... some people seem to want to switch to Amazon, which is what they want you to do. I've switched to Booktopia, Aussie owned. Who else has made the switch?

jaya36 asked on Jun 06, 2017

Are their deliveries to South Africa reliable?

Geo asked on Apr 25, 2017

Answer this

In my opinion I think Book depository is unreliable,me and also a lot other people have experienced issues with this company,they tend to advertise books as available and ready to be ship but in reality they don't have them in stock and you end up chasing them for a answer,I would go elsewhere for your book purchases.

I don't think it will be reliable. Book depository have been really bad since Amazon took over. I used to love it.
They are having problems printing your address, even though you provide it correctly.
The customer service is also bad, now, and I have had damaged books arrive. I can't recommend them anymore.

Did anyone buy books from book depository and shipped in Italy? Did you spent some additional charges upon receiving the parcel? Thank you..

phengtas asked on Dec 27, 2016