Victoria, Australia

Book Depository-Caution

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2018

After receiving my order within 3 weeks of despatch, 5 books arrived damaged. Immediately complained and in their credit book depository apologisef and asked for some picture to be forewarded, which I immediately did! 3 emails of following up latter no response!!! I think therevhoping I will go away and forget about it!!! As far as I'm concerned they've lost any credibility!! Would approach with caution! You spend the money for a damaged product and you have no recall. Please be careful

Don’t waste your time with this mob!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

Book ordered 3 May & supposedly dispatched 9 May with delivery indicated in 5-8 days. Nothing arrived. Email enquiry to which I did get a reply reveals no systems in place to track deliveries! Remarkably poor organisation. Apparently I’m expected to ask at our multiple local Post Offices on the off chance the item is there.

• 4 comments
  • 8 helpful votes
Private message

Looks like i have been had also

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2018

I ordered books over 2 weeks ago, they are a gift for a birthday. They do not respond to emails, yet they take your money. Fortunately i am with PayPal so i am protected.
But really, what is wrong with these on line stores, dont they understand people write complaints, maybe they just take your money and dont give rats.

Comments

I have been getting emails from these people telling me i used another address to order my books. How they can say this is just stupid, i only have one address, they tell me they will give me a ref... read more »

Verified Customer

Pathetic and dodgy at best! Buyer beware!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2018

I placed an order for 5 books on the 3/5/18. All books ordered were meant to be dispatched within 3 business days of the order in the UK. 11 days later my order had not been shipped. I had emailed Book Depository but had not received a reply. I completed and submitted the order cancellation form on the Book Depository website. The following day I received an email telling me that my order couldn't be cancelled as it had just, conveniently for them, entered the shipping phase. My order only entered the shipping phase after I had attempted to cancel it. The company stated in the email that they would be unable to reimburse me for the shipping costs. Don't order from the book depository if you expect customer service and to receive your order without using threats of disputing transactions. I will never shop at book depository again.

Sydney

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer

I am one of the many victims

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2018

In Feb, I ordered a textbook. After 3 months and the book still hasn’t arrived. Every time, a different customer advisor replied my email and said would send again. They asked me to provide a different address. I did. They asked me to check with the local post office. I did. So many times and so much disappointment!
They didn’t want to refund....nearly $90 gone!
I am wondering if everyone wrote to TV programs like Current Affair or Fair Trading, will they investigate it?

Verified Customer

Don't waste your time and money

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2018

Bought a book titled " Ducati restoration guide". Anyone would reasonably believe that this book would contain useful technical information to repair and restore a Ducati motorcycle. It is purely a history book on Ducati. After waiting to receive the book then finding out it was totally not fit for purpose , I complained. Despite there being no warning that this book isn't capable of being used as described [restoration guide] , they will except it to be refunded but I have to pay for its return.
This is what you get when you buy a book in good faith thinking that it is as described. Don't waste your time or money with this mob.
Very disappointed.

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

lost a book and have charged me

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2018

Similar to the person below I ordered a book on 12tb April. UK to Australia should be 5-8 days. These con artists have no way to track if a parcel has been delivered. I work in a massive corporate park (2nd biggest CBD in Sydney) and they’ve told me to ‘go down to my local post office’. Lift your game Book Depository and provide a full refund.

Brisbane City

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Incompetent is an understatement

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2018

I ordered a book on the 9th of April 2018. Which was dispatched on the 10th of April. No way to track the order. Nothing turned up for a couple of weeks and I was starting to run out of time as it was meant to be a gift (which I had ordered with loads of time to arrive - working off the latest arrival date expected.) I contacted Book Depository and asked if they could track to see where the book was as every time I tried to track it myself the only information displayed was that it had been dispatched from the UK on the 10th of April 2018.
They asked me to check with the local post office to make sure they didn't have it. So I went down to the local post office in Milton - sure enough nothing there. I even went to the extent to ring AU Post to check that it hadn't ended up in another post office in another suburb of the city. AU Post confirmed that the tracking number provided to me was invalid.
So I emailed back the Book Depository to let them know that it was not at the local post office and that the tracking number did not exist. I even forwarded them the email correspondence from AU Post to confirm this.
The Book Depository said that they were unable to track it any further on their end (which to me makes absolutely no sense - if your a business sending out parcels surely you would have a better system in place to track your goods and goods purchased by customers whether you charge or not for the delivery or shipping?)
But no. They can't.
I have probably sent about 15 emails now requesting a refund for the book as it has not turned up within the expected delivery period - and also due to the fact that the tracking number does not exist. Each time I get an email from a different 'Customer Advisor' but the email is the same.
Then they have emailed saying the re-sent the book after I have previously requested for a refund. I also, at that point, would have been happy for a store credit or a book swap. But now, two weeks later - and still requesting a refund and still being met with the same damn email from a different Customer Advisor - I am no longer happy with a swap or a store credit (which was never offered to me - and my requests for a refund have been completely ignored throughout all emails). I just want my refund so I can go and continue to buy my books through another company that actually has some idea of how to run their business, track their orders and respond to their paying customers.
I will admit - before this incident I have not had any other issues when ordering through this company but after the massive ordeal this has been - I honestly will never bother to waste my time spending money here again. So not worth the hassle or the minimal savings.

Sincerely,

The girl who is still waiting for her refund xoxo

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Terrible service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2018

I ordered a book 01Apr from Book "Supposidery" ..in stock in Melbourne..site said 3-6 days from dispatch, eventually dispatched 4Apr so not good considering it said it was in stock but anyway..nothing for a week. Rang them ." Oh sorry we actually hadn't dispatched it..its going now should be with you in a week." Eventually got it on the 18Apr. Will never use them again. They do not have a track feature and obviously either lie about when the book was dispatched or their system is so shambolic they don't know. Either way..never gain... Booktopia or Amazon from now on. Missed a very special birthday.

So Far Soooo Bad

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 26, 2018

Its the very first time that I write a review, ever!! but I just needed to do it.
I bought a book from the Book Depository on the 14/04/2018. In their website was marked as "IN STOCK" and they promised dispatch in 2 business days. Its 23/04/2018, and the order is still processing. The only answer they could give me was: "sorry we are having troubles to find a provider for that book", Even though i buy it believing that the book was available.
So Far... Absolutely terrible!!!!!

Verified Customer

Great prices but never received my book

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 23, 2018

I ordered two books from this online store but only received one. The other book was listed as "shipped" about 2 weeks after the initial purchase (which didn't really bother me as I wasn't in any hurry). However, another 2 weeks went by without delivery so I contacted customer service to get a status update. No response. Another 2 weeks go by, I try to contact them again to no avail. 1 more week, I try again, still no reply. Eventually they decide to send me an email (some 6 weeks after my initial purchase) but, to my disappointment, it's just a generic customer feedback form to rate how well they "helped" me with my enquiry. At this point I'm pretty irritated. It's now over 2 months since my purchase and still no book or acknowledgement of my email, so I guess I won't be seeing that $24 again. Next time I'll remember to buy from a reputable company.

Adelaide

Fantastic service and delivery

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2018

I've bought several books from The Book Depository now, and they have always delivered books promptly, and in great condition. Recently I purchased a very large, hardback book, Magic 1400's -1950s. I'd fallen in love with a copy I'd seen at my library. My book arrived in beautiful condition. Part of it's value are the 1000+ pictures of show posters, and photos. It is not just a book to read, it is a book to admire. And The Book Depository treated it as such, it arrived carefully wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap, and neatly boxed. Delivery was free. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Happy with Book Depository

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2018

Was worried when reading the reviews (after making order unfortunately) but my book turned up today.. took 9 business days to arrive (website said 5-8) but that's fine. I did get slightly worried yesterday after the length of time it was taking and emailed book depository - they got back to me same day. Very quick responses.
Only negative is not being able to track the package but hey it's free shipping. Book was half the price of what it costs in store. Was packaged well, covered in plastic wrap and bubble wrapped in a box. Would definetely order from here again!

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

Take your money, and don't even send product! Very disappointed! Tried to email regarding order, no one got back to me!

Verified Customer

i was scammed by the BookDepository

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2018

before my recent purchase, I have purchased 7 books from them with no major problems

on the 02.4.18 I have ordered 4 books from the book depository and right after the ordered have already placed,
I've noticed that one of the books I ordered is cd-book so I messaged the book depository to change this book to the hardback one or to cancel the purchase.
I got an email from them right away that the whole order number "BDU-502-07835876457" is cancelled and that the refund should be seen within 2-3 days. because I was a satisfied customer i decided to purchase again and i was taking off the same day to 7 days vacation.
so I ordered right away 3 books (on the second purchase i decided to purchase only 3 books and not 4)
when I returned from my vacation I checked in my bank-credit account for the refund money (7days passed)
when my refund from them wasn't there I went to their website to check for the order history
so I have seen they refunded only the cd-book (no money was ever delivered)
so I messaged them for their mistake asking them to pay return shipping so i get a full refund on the first order
at first, I got an insulting message saying "We are so sorry to hear that you were misled. That was not at all our intention. We're very happy to hear that you are now a satisfied customer"

happy? that was the response, after a few more messages to their customer support they admitted their mistake
and said that they will refund the whole first order. so far it sounds fair enough!
but the thing is the money was never delivered over a week and so far I received only 2 books (they lie about shipping time as well)
I messaged them for the transaction numbers because of my lack of trust in them so they sent me 2 fake one's
invalids, to my understanding their customer service is located in a third world country with lack of experience to work with western customers.
book depository is a really poor online store with no real customer service I was scammed with 70.07$

my main conclusion is not to be cheap for 1-2 dollars and order from a proven service like Amazon
the delivery will be a way faster and no issues with bad customer service.

Tilly and the Buttons Stretch

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

Made my purchase on 9/4/18 required for a gift.
Received an email on Friday 13/4/18 advising my order has been cancelled without an explanation and that I will receive my refund in 2-3 days !!
Not good enough Book Depository.

Love this site!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

This is def my go to web site fo buying books - cheap and quick delivery and easy search functions

2months and still waiting

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2018

Purchased a big order from this company. Shipping said 5-8days. After 4 weeks contacted them letting them know nothing had arrived. Customer service very Vague and asked me to wait another 5 days and contact them again.
Nothing came so contacted them who said they will ship the books out again. Waited another 3 weeks before contacting them saying nothing had arrived got different customer service person every time and challenged to identify myself 3 times. They again told be to wait another 5 days. It’s been 9 weeks since ordering and I still have not received the order as well as poor customer service, no apologies and no solutions. They are now apparently sending again to a new address?!? Could not get a contact number to talk with someone, emails not answered and love chat was not live (had to wait half how before someone responded). Please do yourself a favour and do not use this company.

Issues, but resolved.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 09, 2018

I bought a book to be delivered to Melbourne.

The book didn’t arrive for around a month and they initially refused to secure a refund because “they cannot guarantee the book will be sent back to them” (paraphrased).

After four long email threads with different people at the company, they eventually sent me a copy of the book I bought.

My experience with this company wasn’t positive but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and purchase another book to see how it goes.

According to them there is something wrong with their website and if you pay using your paypal account, you can’t edit the shipping address or something like that.
So watch out for that.

The Best Book ShoP eVer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2018

The Best cÜstomer Service eVer
Books packaged safely, Fast Delivery
Book Depository is my FaVorite Book ShoP ♡♡♡

1 of 22 pages

Does anyone know where the "local sorting centre" is in Sydney. This was the advice provided by the company- I had to contact the "local sorting centre" but no address nor telephone number was provided. Appalling service. Or does anyone have any contact numbers for this company?

candie asked on Mar 23, 2018

Answer this

Hi - this is the address I have for returns, you will have to argue about it because I just wrapped the books, added stamps and posted - they will ask for tracking details, receipts etc.
BookDepository.com
Returns
Star Track International
PO Box 6082
Chullora
NSW
Australia

but if you ask for the complaint to be escalated to a Manager, that generally works

Thank you so very much!!

Has anyone ever had worse service than Book Depository offer? I think that any firm that did provide worse service has now gone out of business.Try any and all of the below similar book shops before risking it with Book Depository

IhateSPAM asked on Nov 26, 2017

Answer this

I have never had a negative experience with book depository.

I have only had negative experiences with book depository

Tried them instead of Booktopia or Angus & Robertson because they were about 15% cheaper. Bad move as it turns out. No idea where order is at now. Hopeless. Steer clear. I'll pay the extra coin to get reliability in the future and discuss these clowns with consumer affairs.

Has anyone ordered from BD recently & had them shipped the United States? If so, how was your experience? There’s a few books I would love to purchase for my children for Christmas, but I’m a little leary after reading all the negative reviews. If BD isn’t the way to go, could anyone recommend a similar online book company that is more reliable, reasonably priced & has good turn around time to the US? Thank You!

Alicia M asked on Nov 11, 2017

Answer this

Unfortunately I am from Australia, but I recently did order 3 books for children from BookDepository. One book never arrived, instead they send me a Physics book for university study and the other 2 books said that they were for age group 0-5, however when they arrived they were definitely for school aged children as they consisted of word puzzles, word searches and writing words. I am not sure what they were thinking, but I have never heard of a 0-5 year old that can read and write. As yet BookDepository have not resolved my complaint, they said I can return the 2 books at my own cost and the missing / wrong book they have yet to make any comment! I will definitely discourage any one from using them! I now use fishpond.com.au or booktopia.com.au.

See all 10 questions about The Book Depository