Review rating:

Adelaide

• 1 review

Transparency is an issue

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

While this is a very pretty top, overall I am disappointed. I bought the top for work wear as the product description definitively states that this shirt is not transparent and a bra is not visible. This is incorrect. It is so transparent that I feel uncomfortable wearing it at work without a jacket. The sizing also runs small and the fabric is clingy. I think both the transparency and clinginess could be fixed by using a better quality silk. I expect better for the price and would not be inclined to make another purchase unless these issues are addressed. At the very least the product description stating the top is not transparent should be amended as it is misleading.

Sydney

• 2 comments
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

NOT true to size, although great quality and service

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2018

I am generally a 14-16 shirt in brands such as Sportscraft, David Lawrence, Veronika Maine, Trenery, Country Road, Witchery, Boden, etc.. I have silk shirts from all of these brands, as well as linen, cotton etc. The fit in the other brands is good, though in a couple, because of button placement, I have some gape issues at the bust which is easily fixed with double sided tape.

I had read so much about the quality of the Fable shirts and service, I decided to take advantage of a recent sale and purchase 3 shirts. I measured my shirts from other brands and decided to purchase 3 shirts in XL.

The shirts arrived promptly and were packaged beautifully. They came with a sample card of all of the fabric swatches, which is great as it takes the guess work out of future purchases when it comes to picking colours. The quality of the silk and workmanship is better than most of my other shirts from the above mentioned brands. I was eager to wear them! Until...

I tried a shirt on and it fit generously in the arms, shoulders and bust. These are areas that are hard to fit for me and I generally have to size up to fit these problem areas and tailor a shirt by adding darts to make it more fitted in the body and hips if it looks too big in the trunk, and it is why I decided to size up to the XL in this shirt. Unfortunately when it came to doing up the last button at the bottom of the shirt I knew I had to send t back - it was too tight. My hips measure the same as my bust, so I was really shocked and disappointed the shirt didn’t fit and was too tight in this area - especially given the fit in other brand shirts I own.

I decided to compare measurements of the Fable shirt with the Boden shirts I own (Boden run small compared to Australian brands). I measured both shirts laid flat on a table and compared the measurements between shirts, and the measurements on the website. I realised the shirt measurements on the website are done with the shirts held taught - which means they can get an extra few CM of measurement out of the shirt. The thing is, most people don’t wear their shirts this way or measure them this way. If I don’t stretch my current shirts and hold them tight when I measure them, they’re the same size, give or take a cm.

I am considering sizing up to XXL - which is 1-2 sizes bigger than my regular size in other brands. I don’t believe these shirts are true to size as the brand keeps insisting. When other people have raised the issue of sizing they say it is the standard size in Australia, but judging by the brands mentioned above - which are all Australian, except for Boden - the sizing at the Fable is NOT consistent with the sizing of brands people are more familiar with and would use as a yardstick for sizing.

Unfortunately for me, I don’t think the XXL will fit and I’ll most likely end up getting a full refund. It is such a shame more sizing and styles aren’t offered, but I understand that in order to keep the business successful they would only sell what they know they can shift and not introduce too much into their product line (I’d do the same thing - introducing other styles and sizes is what has ruined a lot of other boutique Australian brands, and they may only be able to get a shirt made in runs of 10,000 or so, and it may not be economically viable to get larger shirts made). Still SO frustrating though! I wanted to love these shirts and if they fit I’d be buying 2 in every colour.

Brisbane

• 1 review
  • 1 answer

3 for the button up. 4 for the T-Shirt

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 29, 2018

I find the cut is not very generous around the hip. I had to go up a size but now it’s too generous in the shoulders. I wouldn’t even consider myself very hippy. I actually got my normal size in the T-shirt and it’s a much better fit. The packaging and delivery is excellent, even returns where fast. I would only recommend the TShirt and will probably purchase another as they are perfect for office wear.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
The Fable Official

Thank you for taking the time to share this review, your feedback is very useful and valued. We are always looking to make improvements to our product and have noted your comments regarding the hi... read more »

Sydney

Very disappointed.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

I was so excited to find these shirts online, and eagerly awaited the arrival of my "speckled egg" shirt. While it arrived very quickly and beautifully packaged, it was way too small compared to standard Australian clothing sizes, and was NOT the design I ordered. The quality was beautiful. Other reviews have mentioned to order "up" a size and I would absolutely agree. The company needs to amend its sizing to reflect the many customer reviewers who have written about the same issue.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
The Fable Official

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. Your feedback will be useful to others. Our shirt sizing is reflective of Australian standard sizing. We do advise sizing up if a customer is i... read more »

• 24 helpful votes

Disappointing

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

I have to say, I was disappointed with these shirts. Having had them on my Wishlist for months, I finally took the plunge and bought two. Despite reading the measurements and checking them against other shirts I own and then ordering up a size to give a looser fit, I was extremely disappointed to find that when the shirts arrived they were too small. I would have thought that following the size guide, combined with ordering up a size would have guaranteed a good fit. Quality seemed different to the good quality silk pillowcases I own too????

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
The Fable Official

Hi Emma, Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is very helpful and appreciated. In regards to sizing, most of our customers find our shirts to be true to size as we c... read more »

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Excellent service but please don't cut on quality

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

Received my shirt this week, which arrived super fast, thank you! The shirt fits well but the quality of silk is not the same as it used to be. I own a couple of shirts from older collections, which were made in India, and their quality is exceptional! The new one, which was made in China according to the label, is much thinner and creases easily. I washed it together with my old one and the old one came out silky smooth, almost dry and no creases. The new one felt stiff after washing and was badly creased. Please do not compromise on quality!

Comments
The Fable Official

Hello Elena, thank you for writing this review. We are pleased to hear the shirt is a good fit and you are happy with the service. You are correct in noting that there is a difference in the silk... read more »

Hi, just wondered if the sizes have changed recently.. Bought 2 size M shirts a few months ago that fit great, but a recent purchase of an M has me swimming in the shirt? Please advise. Thanks.

No worries asked on Dec 02, 2018

Answer this

Hello, thanks for reaching out. We haven't changed our sizing although our fabric has changed slightly so depending on when you placed your last order, this could be why you're noticing a difference.

We have easy exchanges and returns so please send us an email at info@thefable.com.au and we can find a solution for you :)

Jessica

Hi there! is the white spot or rose quartz colour transparent?

Lana K asked on Oct 29, 2018

Hello Lana,

Dalmatian isn’t transparent however we recommend wearing a nude bra with Rose Wuartz as it has a degree of transparency.

Very best,
Jessica

I'm thinking of buying the new T-Shirt in white but wondering how see-through, can I wear it with a nude bra and that wouldn't show?

Evas asked on Sep 13, 2018

Hi Evas,

You can. If you wear a nude or white bra underneath it will not be visible.

Let me know if I can further assist.

Jessica

I wore it without a singlet (beige bra) for my first wear and felt exposed at work. I feel like I need a singlet under the white shirt.