Melbourne

Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Wholesaler Doesn't Honour Warranty

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2017

Crap Warranty!! Cleaner works ok; however a big selling point, and one that I purchased on, was a 6 year warranty; 3 years full replacement and 3 years pro rata. Mine died in the 4 th year, and needed some shafts and gear drives replaced. Lincoln Pool Equipment, the wholesaler, refused any contribution to the cost on the basis it was "wear and tear" and not defective materials. However, the warranty statement says "If it is found that the product has not provided 6 years service life ", replacement parts will be provided, at their discretion, on a pro rata basis. So Lincoln is not an honourable outfit to deal with. If you want a cleaner of the same design, I suggest you buy the Hayward AquaNuat which is identical design, etc, and I am sure Hayward would be more honourable to deal with.

Date Purchased: Oct 2015

A great pool cleaner!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

I can't fault the pool cleaner after a few years of ownership. We like it so much, we actually now have two, one in a rental property. It runs on very low suction, perfect for a three speed pump on low power. We have lots of leaves and it does a great job picking them up, only very occasionally getting stuck with too many at once, but easy to clear usually by simply switching the filter off and on again, or worst case pulling the cleaner out to remove the leaves. I would suggest anybody who says it's going out of the pool and sucking air has too much suction, ie: setup wrong. Don't blame the cleaner. The slower it runs, the longer it will last. Too much suction = too fast, bad wear and tear and will almost certainly climb out and suck air.

Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Bev M

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

Bev M
Ask your pool shop for a SKIMTROL vac plate.
A must for ANY auto pool cleaner.
This will control speed and not make it climb out of pool.
It will work a treat on your cleaner.
Remember to check wheel revs per minute,
Slower is better as a general rule.

Sydney

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jan 2016

The Pool Cleaner loves gum leaves and nuts!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

Our pool always has large gum leaves, and most of the year gum nuts. The Barracudas I tried stuffed their cheeks with nuts and leaves like a squirrel, and stopped working, all the time!

After looking for recommendations for something to cope with gum leaves I bought The Pool Cleaner in Jan 2016. What a little beauty! Chugs around and up the walls (even old pumps like ours can get it up the wall with easy adjustments on the hose). I've now paired it with a Gator Pool Surface / Leaf Skimmer - Automated Inline Pool Surface Cleaner. So now the surface of my pool is cleaned (gum blossoms!!!) as the Gator follows around the pool above The Pool Cleaner - I feel unneeded!

Maintenance Comments
If The pool Cleaner gets choked on a stick (and who wouldn't) follow the instructions and its quick and easy to clear.
I've purchased replacement tires, as they are wearing down, after 19 months, 10 hrs a day running around - but I haven't yet replaced them and she's still going really well.

Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Expensive and ineffective

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

Does not lift dirt, does not climb walls, does not clean steps, chokes on leaves, nuts and twigs. Stops every minute. Waste of $750.00. The retailer I purchased from no longer stocks it...too many complaints. There is no problem with my pump, filters or skimmer box. I am very disappointed

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Not too bad at all.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 01, 2017

As our third pool cleaner in 10 years I already knew to have low expectations. After all we're asking a lot of devices that run 8 hours a day in a hostile chemical environment. We've had this one for 4 months so far and are pretty pleased. Doesn't climb out of the pool after adjusting the flow regulators and only occasionally gets jammed with debris (small sticks seem to be its nemesis.)Twice I've had to pull it apart to clean out soft leaf debris that jammed the internal cogs. This was a moderate pain requiring a screw driver and the instructions but compare to previous cleaners I've had, on a par. It moves around the pool nice and fast and is certainly less prone to getting stuck in corners and missing areas. Time will tell how it stands up to the chlorinated environment and how often spare parts are required. It is certainly better than the previous Kleva Kleener, which was itself an improvement on the original Barracuda.

Date Purchased: Apr 2015

Money Saver

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2017

So i have had Zodiac Barracuda for years and replaced part after part, and went through three seperate units...
Decided to buy The Pool Cleaner and what an investment, its great over two years and not touched it, no parts worn out ot ripped, it does a great job at cleaning and saves me money compared to others, highly reccomend it.

Sydney

Date Purchased: Jul 2013

It. Just. Works.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2017

I had a G2 Barracuda. Hated that Barracuda. Made a ""doonk doonk doonk" noise all the time it was running, thanks to the pulsing of the diaphragm. It missed cleaning some small areas of the pool completely, the thing seemed to be frightened of leaves. Very finicky setting with the Skimtrol vacuum plate, the G2 either stopped moving altogether, or climbed right up the walls and made a slurping sound. Would jam and stop cleaning with the smallest stick or gumnut. And the replacement parts it needed, time after time!

So I put in The Pool Cleaner. All the above problems went away. It just works. Silent operation, easy to set, doesn't slurp air, covers all the pool floor, doesn't get stuck in corners or on steps. Passing over a bunch of gum leaves all at once will stop it, just drag it to the edge of the pool and pull them off and away it goes again. This is infrequent, so I don't mind.

Total replacement parts bill after having The Pool Cleaner for four and a half years: $20 for some new wheel bushes. A wheeled device makes more sense to me than something that drags its butt around the floor.

I can't fault it. I don't know what after sales service is like; I haven't needed any.

Corinda

Date Purchased: Mar 2010

Best Cleaner I've ever had

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 29, 2017

Over 30 years or so I've had a pool and having used several Kreepy Krawly and the generic form of them from Bunnings I bought a PoolCleaner 6 years ago. It has improved the entire appearance of my pool and coupled with a Zodiac TRi pH Chlorinator with Automatic acid dosing, I've never had it easier looking after the pool. It never gets stuck anywhere, including around the ladder where all others would often get stuck and it is quiet. It never stops and the only time I have issues are if a large item, such as a piece of wood after a storm gets stuck in the throat. Removing such items takes a couple of minutes and away it goes again. The only parts I've had to replace are the two rubber wheels and a couple of the small plastic wheels at the front. These items cost only a few dollars each and are simply like buying a new set of tyres for your car after so many kilometres. It was while I was looking for the above parts online that I came across the one bad review about this cleaner where it was climbing out of the pool and making a noise. I was most surprised at this bad review and have never had that happen in my pool. I would imagine it would be an easy problem to fix by adjusting the wheel speed or simply reduce the flow rate of the water. Anyway, I'm giving this cleaner 10 out of 10 in all areas and it's definitely worth paying a little bit more for it.

• 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Could definitely live with out!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2016

This cleaner was recommended by the pool shop as amazing. We have solar panels so thought I would run it at night. My children advised that there was a monster outside!! heavens only knows what my neighbours think because the pool cleaner comes out of the water sucks air and sounds like a monster or someone being strangled. Have been back to the pool shop on numerous occasions. Had the rep out still no luck. Cost me $899 (a small fortune) and a lot of arguments and angst with family members.

I have tried everything to adjusting speed, different valves etc to no avail.

I would under no circumstances recommend this cleaner.

I want my money back so I can go buy a Kreepy Krawley or a Barracuda.

Definitely Not HAPPY JAN!!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Don't see any advantage over my old Barracuda cleaner

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 03, 2016

Had a Barracuda for many years without much problem, it does get jammed by leaves but not that bad and I can deal with it. My pool is irregular shape, but my old cleaner goes around the bottom and walls with correct pressure without an issue.

Now I got this new "The Pool Cleaner", I just call it TPC here. My setup: 2 floats set at 50-60 CM, line is Max+1 as instructed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The first hour set sail I realized some issues, when TPC has 11-12 RPM, it does not go up any of my walls. When pushed to 14 RPM it goes up to some less curved (more vertical) walls, but still falls off the more curved walls at just 1/4 of height. Now that's just one thing.

The other most significant issue is when TPC does go up some of those walls, it doesn't stop until it gets OUT of the water sucking in a lot of air and makes a horrible sound. It won't stop until enough air goes into the pump and loss water pressure. Why does the design allow it to get OUT of water?! Looks like a design flaw to me.

Now, I have a TPC that does not go up some walls, and over do some other walls....

I know some of you TPC lovers would argue "that is RPM too high, and why would you want the cleaner to go up walls anyway?", hey, firstly my old Barracuda at $299 climbs all walls without much pressure, secondly it never had a drama of getting out of water sucking air, because it was designed properly. So I was hoping my new TPC at $699 would have an equally good design and do the same if not better. Turns out TPC is not performing any better than the cheaper product, if I could choose again I would go back to buy the same old model Barracuda.

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

set the wheel revolutions correctly

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 25, 2016

The Pool Cleaner, and its counterpart The Rebel, are the original and best pool cleaner in the world. But you need to set the wheel revolutions correctly. Needs to be 11 to 13 revolutions per minute. The instruction book that comes with it tells you how to do it. It is annoying when people don't read instructions, and then bad-mouth everything all over the internet! Next, find a decent pool shop where the people know what they're doing! You need to use a pressure regulator to set the revolutions at the right speed. If you can't slow it down enough to stop climbing walls and sucking air, then your pump might be too big for the size of your filter (too much pressure) or other inherent problem that has nothing to do with the cleaner. If in doubt, contact the actual manufacturer and ask them what your system problem could be.... because I guarantee it's not the cleaner's fault.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 comments

The Best leaf eater i have had in 40 years

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 19, 2016

Please read my review about the Zodiac Baracuda T5 Duo..a waste of *********
I have many many leaves. I have had the poolcleaner about 4-5 months. The only complaint that I have is that I am sick of emptying my skimmer basket, It just loves devouiring leaves. My Pool 30* 15 inground which I have had for 40+ years. I have had many cleaners and this is the best by far in doing the job. I cant comment on after sales or cost of parts but it surely loves leaves!!

Comments

Must admit that mine does try to escape from the pool but it is by far the best cleaner that I have had in 40 years.

Brisbane

• 4 helpful votes

Don't waste your money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2016

The Pool Cleaner had problems from day 1, the skirting kept falling off which meant the wheels would be spinning in the same place for hours. We ended up sending it back to the Wholesaler, it took a couple of weeks before it came back supposedly fixed. They accused me of dropping it and made out they were doing me a favour by fixing it. The same thing happened again after it was returned, the skirting kept falling off. I called them and spoke to the manager, I told him that I wanted a brand new cleaner as this one was faulty, cutting a long story short I lost the argument. I found the manager to be rude and couldn't care less. This expensive, useless cleaner has been sitting under the house collecting dust. Do yourself a favour don't get one.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Newcastle NSW

Private message

Best pool cleaner we have ever used.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 08, 2016

We have had the Pool Cleaner for about 18 months & it is absolutely fantastic. We have large gum trees on the property next door. These trees drop leaves into the pool 24/7. The Pool Cleaner handles the cleaning A1. On occasions it will get caught on the step around the pool but a recent adjustment to the bypass in the weir box has fixed this issue.
We would recommend this cleaner to anyone!

Purchased at: Direct Pool Supplies

Amazing Product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 07, 2016

I have had my "the pool cleaner" for six years and have not even had to change a hose let alone make any repairs. I have a tiled pool and have needed to change the tyres once in that time. It is a great product and works very very well. I bought it from the company that installed my pool and did not attempt to get a cheap version.

Perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2015

We have had the pool cleaner for a month now and found it perfect for our pool, excellent coverage and
A great improvement on the onga hammerhead which previously gave me nightmares, having to spend more time freeing it from corners and the step areas. We would certainly recommend the pool cleaner as an upgrade to a kreepy krawly type of cleaner.

Purchased at: Swimart

Brisbane

• 1 question
  • 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Terrific. I really couldn't ask for more unless I spent maybe $2.5k on a robotic cleaner- no thanks!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2015

I wanted a cleaner which would run on our three speed pump at it's lowest setting. Our main problem is LOTS of small to medium leaves. I don't care about climbing the walls- if your pool chemistry is right there is absolutely zero need to do the walls! I've owned pools for 40 years plus and never had the need to "vacuum" the walls!
The Pool Cleaner ticks all the boxes, wanders around the pool all day and only really struggles with very long or large leaves, and therefore only very occasionally for us needs such leaves removed from the intake. We have had it nearly a year and a half now and couldn't be happier.
(It replaced a worn out Cleaner).
I think that just as others have pointed out here, some people run these on FAR too much suction- which can cause them to climb out of the water and suck air, and will INEVITABLY also cause them to wear prematurely. I would suggest that people should run them on the lowest suction possible, either with low pump speeds or by having more water bypassing the cleaner.
Our's runs perfectly on the pump low speed (only 300w) and even some water bypassing through the skimmer. Very few cleaners will run on such low suction!
I am convinced that for the people who have trouble with these, you've got it set up incorrectly, and/or need to have a serious look at your pool chemistry. If you're growing lots of algae, and vacuum it up manually or with a cleaner, you're just dumping it in the filter and NOT getting rid of it.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

We Are About To Throw It In The Bin, Have Told Everyone Not To Go Near It !!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2015

This is the most frustrating pool cleaner we have had and yet the pool shop we purchased it from said it was the best!!! it climbs out of the pool, sucks air and makes shocking noises when it does, we have had the pool shop man come out to see what he can do but he has no idea !!! it is not about adjusting as we do read the manual and have done every single thing possible - do not buy one !!!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

The PoolCleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2015

I have Had a pool for 35 years and this is by far the best cleaner I have ever owned. It is well worth the money. I would recommend this cleaner. I have a pebble create pool and I now that it needs different wheels for tiled pools to work properly.

1 of 2 pages