Generations:

Darwin

• 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Was good until you call the customer service for broken parts

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2017

I have a TM5 for nearly two years, but just start using it everyday after my baby's ready for solids.
Three weeks ago, the base of the mixing bowl was burnt and melted a bit causing the blades couldn't be locked properly, so I called the customer service line.
The first staff who was handling this was ok, said will send me a new base, but it took two weeks to arrive. And once I tried the new base, it was very loose and I can use one finger to unlock it. I wouldn't risk damaging the whole machine so I called customer service again.
Meanwhile, I had to return the mixing bowl I borrowed from a friend, so I asked them if there's anyway they could help since I need it everyday to make baby food. But they just said there's nothing they could do...
I'm quite disappointed for the service I got considering that the price we paid for the machine. It's over 2000 machine and they can't just send me a replacement, while I paid $300 for Avent electric breast pump and they sent me a brand new one when the original one was out of order.
I feel like not been taken care of when asked them for help, they don't care what your baby gonna eat or what you gonna do without it.
First time I feel regret buying it. Better don't rely on it too much because once it broken, you're on your own.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Jan 2015

IT WILL BREAK!!!! my machine is just over 2 years and it will cost £420 to repair !

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

The machine just over 2 years old is the second time that goes for repair! first time under warranty and at this time they have sent a bill of £420 totally unacceptable!! the cause is spill in the motor! how is an equipment design for cooking liquids spilling in the motor ? poor assistance poor customer service! I have decided to don't repair and throw it in the Garbage Bin!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Oct 2004

Simply rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2017

Don't by this product! it looks amazing as you start using it, especially with the digital recipe display but it won't last. Started having issues (malfunctioning) after a year of purchase, had it fixed because within warranty but then weighing stopped working, then heating stopped working, but with the warranty just expired I should be putting more money into fixing something repeatedly; with the huge price that you have to pay to purchase it, becoming out of order just after 2 years it's outrageous! Previous non-digital models were probably better and last longer but now you only have the supposedly better digital version, which in fact turns to be rubbish!

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 12 helpful votes

This is terrible.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2016

Paid 2000 dollars for a machine that leaked through first recipe and now the company's or sales rep saying is totally our fault.a 2000 dollar machine that cant tell if it was put together properly and still work baffles me.and when you ring the sales rep and get no help just blame after she promised the world.shame o you thermomix.

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Now the sales rep hasnt had no contact and no word what us happening with machine after three weeks.promised the world .so disappointed.

• 1 review
  • 18 helpful votes

Very disappointing! Not Good Enough

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2015

I have LOVED the Thermie since first seeing it back in January this year. I also could see myself becoming a consultant however after my Tm5 recently arrived I've somewhat changed my mind. My consultant has become more of a friend now days and she had never come across the issues that mine began with. Upon first start up it had a line across the screen, then it turned off all on it's own and when it comes back on it says that there was an issue with the chip.
Not Good Enough!
I've cooked a few great dishes in the last week or so however it was going to be collected for service today and I've had to stay home all day waiting on the courier. :( still nothing.
I'm ready to take this further.
I think it should have been a complete swap over as it's had glitches the moment we turned it on.

Terrible waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2015

Bought the latest model, TM5. Very, very expensive at over $2,200, but the consultant told me it would literally make me a " Master Chef". It has some great features, no doubt about it ....BUT it requires quite a bit of washing and cleaning. Some of the claimed features such as ice cream making is not that simple. It is quite bulky, use a lot of bench space. Customer service is very poor. To be honest, at that price, it is really a waste of a lot of money. A friend of mine purchased top quality electric pressure cooker and blender and can cook amazing things with the combination of these two appliances for a fraction of what I paid for the Thermomix. Please avoid this appliance.

22 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 21 helpful votes

Always Breaking

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2015

I had my thermomix for only a month before it broke due to an error in new machines. When I sent it back it took ages to fix and was returned without the chip. When I told my rep she said my 2 year old must have removed it? Now it has broken again. Not weighing and no longer heats. What a waste of money.

21 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 10 helpful votes

Not Happy TM5 C160 Error

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2015

Not Happy. C160 Error appeared after using the Veroma for the first time. The next night cooked a chicken in the Veroma and go the same C160 error 4 times, resulting in the machine shutting down and being un usable. Have just googled the fault and found many many unhappy people with the same fault. SHAME on Thermomix, this is a $2000 machine, it shouldn't have these issues. Want to get it fixed under warranty and a guarentee that it won't happen again for the life of the machine. Think I 've been scammed as I contacted our sales person and was told this is a common fault.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 11 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

follow up support is worthless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2015

They 'sell' the machine as an experience. Selling how you get 1 on 1 support and service unlike what a shop could deliver. Absolute crap! The cooking events COST you money to sit in a room with 60 other people and watch them cook a few things to pitch a cookbook NOT to help you utilize the machine. Continued money making pyramid scheme not a genuine help for purchasers. Perhaps so many FREE cooking events should be included when you purchase one! For $2000 i was expecting a few follow up phone calls, bit more personal time than the generic email. No more than shop service really. But with a higher pyramid scheme price tag. I could have stayed with bellini and saved myself some serious money. Paying $20 and be one of 60 in a room was a joke and waste of my time. How about help help help the purchasers instead of make more money!!

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth

• 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

Horrible Demo

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2015

I had the luck of getting a nice demo with wonderful recipes. I told the Demo girl one day ahead that I will be having 20 odd people viewing the demo- and she was okay with it. So on the day many of my guests were excited to see how it all works as was I, and as I was going out to call everyone in the Demo girl called me in and said she spoke to her Team Leader and they had advised her that she CAN NOT do a demo for more than 4 people. so I said to her you are making around 6 recipes, I can bring them in 4 at a time, and yet she was persistent in NOT doing the Demo. I forgot to mention she was already packed up and ready to leave.

Left me breathless. So I called another lady who I know works with Thermomix and asked her if this Demo girl was right in what she told me - and this lady said no way there was ample opportunity for her to be able to at least sell 2 thermomix's.

I am not hating thermomix, I am just saying, the Demo experience I had, was horrible.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

ThermoFAIL: Only 3 months and sent to service twice already. Not worth the money.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2015

Ask your consultant what your rights are for a refund/replacement as I'd be personally interested to hear what their response is. I've had to send the machine for service after just 6 weeks for an issue with the touch screen. Three months from delivery two other errors/issues cropped up and the issue they had fixed at 6 weeks recurred. (Three issues in just 3 months.) The company REFUSED TO REPLACE the machine as they don't see this as a major failure. What they do not tell you is that they have paid many a middle men along the way, hence, you are not entitled to a refund/replacement. Twice I have been told that my machine is good as gold after service. Once your machine is out of warranty, expect to shell out at the very least $300 for repair and courier (service centre is in WA).

Feel free to check their recipe community: http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/content/error-c161.

I believe this unit is a half-baked effort to release a newer model--conversation with the consultant, branch manager, service technician and service manager alluded to numerous errors/issues identified since its launch in September 2014. As a consumer, I am not happy to bear the brunt of potential design flaws.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Warriewood

• 7 answers

Verified Purchase Generation: TM5

poor design

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 19, 2015

We only had ours a few days before a small spill of liquid found its way onto the power board and motor.
Why are the seals inadequate ?
Why was there no protection for either ?
Why wasn't the circuit board coated ?
If you really must have a thermomix, I suggest that you :
- 1) keep the box and packing material so that it's easy to send back for service
- 2) buy a second one to cover the time when the first one is being fixed
- 3) budget for a few hundred dollars every few weeks to cover the service costs

A half baked design !

22 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 19 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: TM5

Fault after after 7 weeks use

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 21, 2015

We have also had the C34 error after our new thermomix being delivered in December. The blades made an unusual sound and could be seen going into reverse when on a slow chopping speed.

Tried to to contact our consultant to be told that she had left the company but would forward her team leader contact details (had wondered why we hadn't been invited to any cooking classes or to hold another demo as we had lots of friends who were interested and couldn't come to our original demo). After nothing was received we contacted the main office.

main office told us that 9/10 times the fault was because fluid had gotten into the motor - insinuating that we'd caused the fault! We have been very careful to not let water get into the motor as $2000 on a kitchen appliance was a very expensice purchase for us! It seems from this forum we're not the only ones with the fault! Had to take our machine down to the main office which is a huge inconvenience when we both work full time and are now waiting for a response.

Very disappointed at the quality and the customise service we have received!

19 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

• 20 helpful votes

Craplastic

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2015

We were told by the consultant. It's not plastic it's ' food safe polypropylene'. Which is a fancy word for plastic. The lid contains harmful bpa. How can a company sell a machine for $2000 when half of it is made of cheap and nasty plastic? And why are the consultants so cheerful and running with the line there's no plastic in the thermomix? I call scam! Don't buy this ridiculously expensive machine and never cook with plastic at high heats.

• 18 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

Lots of problems with TM5!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2015

Please be aware of all the thermomix consultants posting in here. I am not a consultant and bought mine 2 months ago. I have had 2 problems in2 months and now my machine needs to be sent back and the process of fixing it is not a quick one. that's despite the 2 k price tag. If you want to see how many others are having problems have a look at the recipecommunity.com.au and see all the users posting breakdowns on there.
My advice, yes it's a great machine but wait a year or two until they have ironed out the bumps. It's clear they have rushed the launch of these.

Perth

• 1 question

Falsely advertised as being Bishpenol-A (BPA) free

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 07, 2014

Very dissapointed. Product is advertised as being BPA free. Thermomix is advising customers on their facebook page that there is no BPA in this model. Yet Thermomix customer service has comfirmed there is BPA in the Varoma lid for strengthening. Will not be using as BPA is not a safe plastic to heat and cook in. The Varoma lid gets extremely hot during cooking and condensation drips into the food being cooked in it. I will not cook in the Varoma until the manufacturer offers a BPA free alternative. Very dissapointing experience.

13 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Read 584 related reviews

TM5

Was wonder if I bought 2nd hand chips of ebay will they work in my machine?

cheryl ellis asked on Nov 15, 2017

Answer this

Yes they would because the Thermomix is isolated from the internet. The problem of chip registration may occur over time as using the Cook-Key means registering your chip to open up the recipes to your online account. If someone had already registered the chip you’d need to ensure they de-register it online before buying it. Worst case, you could still use the chip on the machine directly. The internet access Cook Key is a bolt-on, and the machine is essentially “dumb”. I’m sure future models will be properly internet enabled, but right now it isn’t - which is good!

TM5

Do you think it is good for only one person or a waste of money?

Dash asked on Nov 07, 2017

Hi there,

It's definitely good for one person! A lot of the meals you make in it can be frozen. Plus, there's lots of stuff you will use it for that aren't dependent on a number of people (like sauces, loaves of bread, chutneys, chicken stock, milling your own flour, making your own butter etc). If I lived on my own, I'd get one for sure - it's a less cleaning than all the pots and pans you still use for one person!

Hope that helps.

Beth.

The short answer is yes, but I concur with Beth in that a freezer is a good idea. There are some other advantages too around risk eg. no chopping and cutting yourself, pans boiling over, hot plate left on, having to stir continually etc. Definitely a good buy for a single person, as long as you actively use the product. If you just hate cooking altogether it won’t change that - it just makes it a lot easier.

TM5

Is the plastic parts in TM5 BPA FREE?

Gie asked on Sep 24, 2017

Hi Gie,
yes, all plastic components (made of food-grade polyethersulfone - PES) of the TM5 are BPA free.
For the sake of completeness I should add that, however, trace amounts of BPA have been used in the lid of the Varoma and Measuring Cup for the older TM31 model solely for the purpose of hardening. I remember reading that Vorwerk acknowledged this and commissioned a couple of toxicological investigations to ensure there is no transference to food matter; all test results were below what is called (in laboratory terms) Limit of Detection (LOD) for BPA compounds, noting that the WHO trigger value for BPA detection is approximately 300 times higher than the LOD; thus, I would say those parts are suitable for cooking food. By comparison, some clothing, coating and cosmetic products are way more hazardous to human health than the Thermomix plastic components.
Hope this helps.

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details