Generations:

• 1 helpful vote

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Oct 2015

Expensive and not used

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2017

Purchased on promise it would save heaps of time and money - does not get used because the scales keep breaking down and it often just shuts down for not reason - has been fixed twice. Wish I saved my money and purchased a cheaper version. Waste of money and bench space.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

sydney

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Jan 2015

It overheats!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2016

I had a TM31 before. I loved that machine. I loved it so much that my friends asked if I was a salesman because I wouldn't stop preaching about it! I even went and I bought two more as presents!

Then the TM5 came out... an even better Thermomix? I couldn't miss that opportunity!

Big mistake. If you want to prepare cold food it is fantastic. It even stores your favourite recipes (at a cost). However, if you want to cook something warm... it overheats and shuts down automatically!

It is so frustrating!

Initially I was told it was because I had to use slow speeds (no ore than 2) when cooking (something I never had to do with my TM31). But even using spoon speed it can't even finish cooking plain rice.

Very disappointing.

If you have a TM31 and are thinking about changing... don't do it! If you don't have a Thermomix but want one, find a TM31, it is much better and it will be much cheaper!

Good Luck!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Geelong, Victoria

• 25 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 44 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

Unrealiable poor customer service.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2016

I loved my Thermomix when it is working. Mine also has also suffered from faulty scales. Seems to be a common fault. Customer service follows a well maintained script this is just an isolated issue blah blah blah. Mine failed after 4 weeks. I kept using it without the scale function as didn't want lengthy return wait. Thermomix are too cheap to pay for packaging for return and they suggest you find a box at your local hardware store. Mine thermomix also started not heating up. I have owned it for 7 months. It will be an expensive paper weight once the warranty expires.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 review
  • 7 helpful votes

Dissapointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2016

So very dissapointed with thermomix and my machine. Barely 7 months old and it has faulted on me twice :( not acceptable for such an expensive machine. The customer service has been just as bad. I seriously regret ever buying the machine, i have lost all faith in the product and the company.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes

Faulty

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2015

Tm5 has a problem with the lid it always shows error. I am fed up of it. I think it's a manufacturing defect. Don't buy it. Don't buy it don't buy it unless there's a service centre near your place. Even then I don't know if it will help.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Hamlyn Terrace

• 1 comment
  • 34 helpful votes

Hate it. Like a cult

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 09, 2015

This review is a 30 something male being bullied into the purchase by his wife. The machine is ok at some tasks. Certainly not as wonderful as the nazi like consultants would lead you to believe. clean up is a nightmare and I wonder if it would be easier to throw food around the kitchen and then wipe it up. I also found a lot of the recipes on the recipe community are disgusting. Yet people rate them and give them 4 or 5 stars because they don't want to upset the rest of the cult. It has got to the point where if a recipe goes wrong my wife will blame me that dare say anything bad again the culty consultants and community. A disturbing culture that preys on women's need to compete with other and desperate need for acceptance. the cooking classes are more to entice more people to buy. They are filled with lies and often most of the class are TM consultants. If you question anything or argue a point they quickly surround you and try to shut you up. They don't want you disproving their lies and stopping a sale.

22 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Read 594 related reviews

TM5

Was wonder if I bought 2nd hand chips of ebay will they work in my machine?

cheryl ellis asked on Nov 15, 2017

Answer this

Yes they would because the Thermomix is isolated from the internet. The problem of chip registration may occur over time as using the Cook-Key means registering your chip to open up the recipes to your online account. If someone had already registered the chip you’d need to ensure they de-register it online before buying it. Worst case, you could still use the chip on the machine directly. The internet access Cook Key is a bolt-on, and the machine is essentially “dumb”. I’m sure future models will be properly internet enabled, but right now it isn’t - which is good!

TM5

Do you think it is good for only one person or a waste of money?

Dash asked on Nov 07, 2017

Hi there,

It's definitely good for one person! A lot of the meals you make in it can be frozen. Plus, there's lots of stuff you will use it for that aren't dependent on a number of people (like sauces, loaves of bread, chutneys, chicken stock, milling your own flour, making your own butter etc). If I lived on my own, I'd get one for sure - it's a less cleaning than all the pots and pans you still use for one person!

Hope that helps.

Beth.

The short answer is yes, but I concur with Beth in that a freezer is a good idea. There are some other advantages too around risk eg. no chopping and cutting yourself, pans boiling over, hot plate left on, having to stir continually etc. Definitely a good buy for a single person, as long as you actively use the product. If you just hate cooking altogether it won’t change that - it just makes it a lot easier.

TM5

Is the plastic parts in TM5 BPA FREE?

Gie asked on Sep 24, 2017

Hi Gie,
yes, all plastic components (made of food-grade polyethersulfone - PES) of the TM5 are BPA free.
For the sake of completeness I should add that, however, trace amounts of BPA have been used in the lid of the Varoma and Measuring Cup for the older TM31 model solely for the purpose of hardening. I remember reading that Vorwerk acknowledged this and commissioned a couple of toxicological investigations to ensure there is no transference to food matter; all test results were below what is called (in laboratory terms) Limit of Detection (LOD) for BPA compounds, noting that the WHO trigger value for BPA detection is approximately 300 times higher than the LOD; thus, I would say those parts are suitable for cooking food. By comparison, some clothing, coating and cosmetic products are way more hazardous to human health than the Thermomix plastic components.
Hope this helps.

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details