Generations:

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Jan 2017

OK but pricey

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2017

I love my machine, i use it every day and its well missed when i dont have it but when i brought my machine, unfortunately, the time my consultant came around to give me demo on how to use it, clean it etc there was a medical emergency in my house. She said she would how me at my party but time got away from us and of course that didn't happen. Anyway i referred to the manual on how to clean it and one of the small parts on the back accidentally fall into the back of the machine. It is still under warranty for parts but they said i will need to pay for it and also pay a service call for someone to come and fix it. Although it was my fault i feel that they could of helped me out by perhaps offering to at least provide me with the new part seeing its under warranty. My lid was also broken..not my fault and they didn't want to replace that. For they money you pay for it the warranty really is not good enough in my opinion.

Brisbane

• 12 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Helper but NOT a life changer. Tad bit overrated. Would suggest thorough research before purchasing.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2017

Hi All,
I have had the Thermie for over a year and here are some of my thoughts:

The cons:
1) You probably already know this but I will reiterate it, it does not help with salads. No dicing, slicing and chopping in different shapes. A mush/ puree is all you are going to get.

2) Not useful for processing small quantities. My husband and I like to cook in small quantities and we find that if we try to process/ puree small amounts it only lands up adhering to the body of the mixing bowl. It remains unprocessed. On asking for help or a wor
karound they said, “You can cook in large quantity and freeze”.

What it can do:
3) We use it mainly for making dough and soups. If you are an avid baker, there are other options. Personally, I don’t bake that much so for us it is soups and dough.

4) The recipe list may look extensive but on a closer look you will find it is mainly dips and other things that involve making a puree or dough.

5) Non-cooking expert friendly as forums provide exact quantities and steps. I can ask my husband to make soups. He flies solo and does well!

My Suggestion:

Before making a $2000 investment, I would suggest borrowing a recipe book and taking a close look at what it can do and if that meets your requirements.

Great if you do a lot of dips, soups, cakes, muffins etc.
Great if you always cook in big batches.

Verdict for me!
As for me, I am wondering if I could have settled for a cheaper variant that does soups and dough!
I failed at researching better, but that is my own fault.

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Sep 2015

I do NOT love my thermomix.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2017

I've had my thermomix for well over a year now (purchased to assist in meeting special diet needs in my family) and I keep thinking that at some point I will fall in love with it. I have come close a few times (hollandaise, mayonaise, mash potato, pureed soups, gravy and custard are simply perfect in the thermomix), but there are so many things that annoy me about it! First, waiting for the lid to unlock can be surprisingly frustrating, and Oh My Goodness how annoying is that continuous, endless timer alert - surely just two or three bell sound s would be adequate! Second, you cannot save your own recipes on a $2,000 machine - it's a 2014 model, people!! Third, sauting food is nowhere near as good as the "real" thing (think microwaved mince - it's pretty similar - and gluggy rissoto). Grinding grains and legumes is NOT the same as milling them - the results are underwhelming and time consuming, as you have to grind a small amount at a time and wait for it to cool between chopping sessions (ground nuts are somewhat more satisfactory). If a recipe calls for "Chopping finely" the results are variable and not suitable for presentation to guests - some big bits, some small bits, stuff thrown up the sides... use your chopping board and knife. Don't bother whipping egg whites either. It's claimed to be "self-cleaning" but it is not. It can be rinsed if you put water and detergent in but I don't consider that "self cleaning" since you've kind of done most of the work anyway. Steaming in the varoma is quite good, but not much luck with pasta or poaching in the basket (too small). The mixing bowl is either too small for a full family meal, or too large for chopping herbs for a recipe - they all end up on the sides. YES the TM helps me meet my family's diet needs, and YES I do like it - but I don't love it.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Redfern, Sydney

• 2 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Limitations of Cookidoo

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2016

I am a new owner.

Thermomix claims that one feature/benefit of being a Thermomix owner is Cookidoo, its online recipe community. User beware. It's search function and usability is highly limited. Cookidoo is capable of searching thousands of recipes but unable to search your purchased collections only. It's a frustrating experience and unaligned with the tech innovation of the Thermomix itself. Instead, Cookidoo seems to be a marketing platform to push its other recipe collections, available for purchase.

Brunswick West, Vic

• 6 comments
  • 7 answers
  • 39 helpful votes

I love my old TMX31 better

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2016

I have both the TMX31 and TM5 and I love my TMX31 better.

I find the TM5 has more capacity which is great but I don't find it as intuitive as the TMX31. I get frustrated by having to wait for arms to lock and unlock. I have had liquid come out of the bowl when blending at high speeds despite the arms locking securely. Cleaning the arms is a bit of a pain.

Overall I do love the functions available in the Thermomix, it's great to cook with. Today I went to a friends house and was able to quickly prepare beetroot salad, caramel slice and cannoli custard within 20 mins with virtually no effort from me.

I have found that I've been able to adapt lots of my recipes to the Thermomix to enable me to spend less time in the kitchen.

• 8 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

Fantastic if its working!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 24, 2016

I really LOVE my tm5. In fact, I love it so much that I haven't used my stove in months. Problem is, as it does make my life a LOT easier it's impossible to part with which I am facing for weeks (like many others) due to broken scales. Unfortunately, reliability is a big issue. My friend had her scales fixed 3 times and if you ask around nearly every tmx owner will have to send their appliance in within the first 1-2 years, most of the times with known issues. And then repairs can have a very long waiting time as there is only one service centre. So big fat point deduction for after sales.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Canberra

• 5 helpful votes

A Glorified Blender.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 30, 2015

I regret paying $2000 for a blender and I prefer specialist implements. I still chop vegetables by hand as the chopping function does not work well. The steam function is OK but not great. Many things I thought I would cook such as egg custard don't taste like the hand stirred ones so I don't use it for this purpose. I make smoothies with my nutri blender because it is easier to wash. Similarly with risotto- hand stirred is better. It is good at grinding nuts but my inexpensive spice grinder does this as well. My opinion after having it for a while now, is that I would have been better saving my money.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

Very expensive blender

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2015

As far as kitchen aids go, this is the king pin. It is brilliant for sauces,soups,mayonnaise and lots of little bits and pieces. But steer clear of any food that involves steaming,especially meats. They are disgusting. The tm5 has no business cooking meat. Brilliant for cooking from scratch if you are concerned about what in your food. But expensive to cook from scratch every meal.

Brisbane

• 1 helpful vote

Generation: TM5

More things to go wrong than previous model

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 21, 2015

I adore the TM31 and was excited to get its bigger prettier sister and I have been remarkably unimpressed. I'm using my TM31 more than TM5 due to a fault with the arms developing in the first 9 months. It is pretty, I love the recipe chip function and it is quieter but the simpler TM31 still wins my vote - 5 years of solid heavy daily usage and went in for a new brain due to exhaustion! Customer service has always been truly excellent and I can't fault the service centre or the consultants. It is still a great machine but I prefer the simpler older style.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Gold Coast

• 21 helpful votes

Mixed feelings...

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2015

I've only had my TM5 for 3 months and I just sent it off for repairs last week. All of a sudden my scales started jumping so its getting serviced. I 'ummed' and 'ahhhed' for weeks before forking out the $2k so it wasn't a decision taken lightly for me to purchase. I appreciate all of the functions and use it often, but for over $2k and only a few months use I shouldn't have to get it fixed already, if at all! And this is a common problem to have!! Before this I used my breville blender (which was $200) daily for years and never had an issue wit h it, or in fact any other appliances I've owned at a fraction of the cost. And if I did I could simply take them back to the retailer for a replacement. The fact that you have to be inconvenienced by waiting around for couriers, plus not have the appliance for weeks is a joke. For such an expensive appliance I expect better quality and better service. I'm disappointed in my experience and don't think i'd recommend it to others.

• 9 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

Some good points, but prone to faults and poor customer service

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2015

Purchased a TM5 1 month ago. Have been impressed by some meals but would agree with some others comments about a lot of it not having the depth of flavours from stovetop cooking. I also find myself using about as many dishes once you account for the washing of the bowl multiple times. Then 1 month after purchase the machine has developed a fault. Customer service has been poor, have had to pay for packaging for it to be returned in, and haven't been offered any compensation for that. Would think twice about recommending to others.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

GOLD COAST

• 24 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

Has its good points but a very large bad point.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2015

I'll probably be slammed for this review. But it's an honest opinion. I've wanted a TM since I first went to a demo 3 years ago. Of course the $$ put me off. Since then I've been to 5 demos, and although I never thought the food was *that* great, I could see it was a helpful machine. My sister in law went away & offered to lend me her machine. I was so excited!!
I will say I am a person who cooks from scratch as much as possible, I take a lot of pride in my cooking & am pretty good at it.
First job was chicken nuggets for the kids. All fine
although it didn't process/mince as well as I thought it would. Anyway, 1 job done. Kids liked them & I'll use the recipe again, with added veggies but it was nothing I couldn't do in my food processor.
2. It was recommended to make Butter Chicken (a recipe I often make myself) & all went well. Made the rice too. Sat down to eat & hubby had a few mouthfuls & refused to eat anymore. I ate about half a serve but put it this way: if I was served this in a restaurant I wouldn't pay for it (not that I think you should eat restaurant quality every night). It was ok at best. We both thought my homemade Butter chicken was much much better & took the same time.
3. Made fruit & yogurt Popsicles for the kids. They like them but it is the same time & consistency as the food processor.
4. Butter. Was good. Was quick. Was tasty. I usually make it in my Kitchenaid. Faster in TM.
5. Bread. Pretty good but again, the same as in the Kitchenaid.
6. Hollandaise Sauce. It was quick but tasted awful. Hubby refused to eat it, as did I.
7. Poached eggs. They were fine but very slow. Have to heat machine for 12 mins prior to cooking, then cook eggs. So over 15 mins. I find it quicker to make in a pan.
Anyway, that's enough. I made much more but at the end of the day, it was all pretty much just as time consuming & nothing that can't be done without a TM. In fact most will taste better without a TM sadly. My opinion is if you already have a food processor and mixer you really don't need a TM.
But my biggest complaint is the food is pretty substandard. Most of it we wouldn't ever eat again & hubby is worried he's going to miss out on his usual fare & eat bad food haha.
We're actually pretty confused that everyone raves about the food. I'm not trying to be rude to anyone but most of the people I know that own a TM believe cooking means going to Aldi for a frozen lasagna to reheat & dumping a prepackaged salad in a bowl. If that is cooking to you then this machine will definitely help.
The dips & sorbet are great but how often do you eat that?
In the end, I am really happy I had the opportunity to try it out, but I'm even happier that I didn't spend the $$$.

20 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

MELBOURNE

• 6 answers
  • 24 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

Disappointing. I wanted to love it.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 29, 2015

Fine for a couple of months of light use, then the scales stopped working, then the recipe chip stopped reading, now another error, can't be bothered switching it on to check lol, consultant told me to call TM Aus and arrange collection etc. haven't done it yet because working in business hours like most people with $2200 to chuck away on an electronic bucket, I cant stay home for a courier anyway. Blah... I wish it lived up to its promise but like most things, it doesn't.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Eventually had the issues rectified by TM, same problems of cracking and dodgy scales, this time out of warranty. Never again.

Perth

• 2 questions
  • 3 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Good if you cannot cook

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2015

My wife and I went to one of these so-called “Thermomix parties”. Both of us reassured ourselves to have an open mind while the Thermomix is demonstrated.

Needless to say, Thermomix comes with a hefty price tag. Any gadget that is technologically advanced has a high price tag and this was understandable. My issue with the Thermomix will never be solely the price.

Negatives:

Marketing strategy - I am really against it. I do not approve of making use of friendship to sell products. Although the company does not use the term ‘pyramid sc
heme’ it is more or less the same concept as to what Market Australia and Amway Australia does. Its purchase process indicates that Thermomix is sold exclusively via in-home demonstrations i.e. Thermomix parties. Thermo Servers which is an insulated stainless steel bowl that keeps food hot or cold for extended periods is only given to you if you host a Thermomix party.

Varoma tray which is used to place ingredients for steaming is made out of polypropylene. My wife owns a top of the range Scanpan steamer that is stainless steel. For a device over $2000, you would think that this tray would be stainless steel - no, it is made from thermoplastic polymer.

We were told that rice could steam-cooked. When I asked how you could cook turmeric rice that way, the consultant said you could sprinkle turmeric powder on the rice. That would be the only way to include turmeric and sacrifice consistency if you choose to steam-cook rice in the Thermomix. Traditionally you mix the turmeric in the water you use to cook the rice. That was one more limitation to the list.

To demonstrate saving time, at one point raw chicken was steam-cooked using the varoma while vegetables were boiled in the mixing bowl beneath the varoma. I don’t see how this could go well with anybody concerned with cross contamination of raw meat and vegetables. Although eventually both chicken and vegetables will be cooked, I did not like my visualisation of raw chicken juice dripping it down to the vegetables.

You could accidentally press “next” button twice while following a recipe and possibly miss out on a vital step such as adding 500 g of water. This actually happened to the person volunteering during our demonstration and the consultant had to press the “back” button. Again, for a $2000 machine, you would think countermeasures are implemented to prevent this from happening.

Exaggerated seamless experience - consultant was demonstrating the Thermomix portraying a seamless experience. In the background however, consultant’s husband was ferociously washing all the accessories. I also remind you that, your memory is taken away from all the cutting and preparing of the ingredients (like in many cooking shows) so that the entire experience feels so painless. There was also another thermomix in the background and its mixing bowl was used to minimise time so that the time needed to wash the current mixing bowl is forgotten. In reality, the only time you save is the time Thermomix is simmering on behalf of you.

Thermomix cannot freeze. It can only heat. Sorbet is made using frozen ingredients. We could achieve the same or smoother outcome using a Vitamix which has a 30000 rpm motor as opposed to a 10700 rpm motor in the Thermomix.

I did not like the idea of having to touch screen of the Thermomix every so often while handling ingredients and particularly oil.

Thermomix cannot saute properly. There is not enough surface area to saute garlic to get that nice golden brown colour. It is evident that onions and garlic are not fried off because when you open a leftover dish taken out from the fridge the smell is atrocious.

In general, food cooked using the Thermomix has never to-date tasted as good as traditional ways of cooking. Usually since it is your family and friends who are gathered in a Thermomix party, they would never criticize the inferior taste during the party and instead simply nod to say ‘it is good’ when the consultant asks ‘how was it?’. This way the Thermomix lives on with good reviews.

Room for improvement:

Some recipes called for measurements by teaspoons. This should have been given in grams because Thermomix would not do measurements by teaspoons or tablespoons.

The capability of measuring ingredients could have been integrated to prevent accidentally pressing “next” button second time without any action.

Positives:

Biggest plus for me is the capability to automatically stir. The motor of the Thermomix can rotate as slow as 40 rpm for this purpose. It could thrive where consistency is required in stirring for a prolonged period.

I liked the automated measuring of the ingredients. It saves you from having to wash other measurement cups. However, this is where individuality comes in cooking where traditionally every household would have a unique dish in taste. It could be still useful for baking.

Finally if you receive a Thermomix as a gift and it does not affect your family’s income, none of the above limitations considering the price would not apply. For instance, I would not be worried about the inclusion of a thermoplastic cover for $0.00.

Latest version of the above review is at:[Link removed]

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sydney

• 6 helpful votes

faulty on arrival

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2015

My thermo turned off first week i got it and was never offered a replacement. Just told to try this and try that. A new chip was sent and a reset was provided in home. It doesn't happen as often. So a machine that arrived faulty continues to be my problem and when i send back for a service i will be further inconvenienced by not having it at all.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes

Disappointed

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2015

I've had my machine since November 2014 and it has been returned for repair/service twice! The scales were the first issue and then Error C160. I also had problems with 'pick-up and return', when the wrong courier was booked, which meant a further delay. It's a pity the problems were not ironed out before release. I certainly hope I have no more issues as I love what the machine can do.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

BAIRNSDALE, Victoria

• 8 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 39 helpful votes

Generation: TM5

Love the machine, but the disappointed it had an error after 3.5 months of owning

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 12, 2015

I have owned my TM5 since October, 2014. I ordered it soon after the release in September. I made the decision after owning other cheaper imitations of the Thermomix, and feeling that the motors in them just could not perform the way I needed them to. This decision was not a light one, as $2000 is a huge amount of money for our family budget. I found initially that the customer service was excellent, I received a call the very same day after contacting Thermomix from the area manager who put me in touch with a local consultant. She came over to my house with the TM5 to show me the machine. She then went through the purchasing options and I ordered.

Since owing the TM5, I have found it is an amazing machine. It has a stealth motor, with the ability to perform heavy handed tasks such as crushing a kilo of ice, making nut butter and grinding seeds & rice into flours. It does not struggle and can work for lengths of time without any overloading, plastic smell or weird noises. The accuracy in speed is excellent. The machine will turn at very slow revolutions to stir food, and extremely fast revolutions to grind. I love how it grinds whole spices into ground spices. Another very positive aspect is that it can go in reverse, which leaves food intact when cooking meals. When cooking, I am very impressed with the heat distribution. It cooks food very well, and heats up quickly. In comparison to cheaper models I have owned, it is superior at cooking food, even making complete family meals in a very small time-frame. I have made many all-in-one dishes using the steam attachment (varoma) and have been impressed with the quality.
The recipe chip idea for the TM5 is so clever. It runs through each recipe step and inputs the data to the machine, you just flick the knob and off it goes. It comes with the basic cookbook and chip which has over 180 recipes, including three automated recipes. To be honest, I don't use the automated recipes as I find they underperform compared to using the other recipes on the chip or using the machine manually, but others may find these very useful.
I had been a very happy Thermomix owner, until Australia Day, when my machine suddenly displayed a C150 error and started shutting down automatically. I contacted service and they advised my machine would need to be picked up by courier to be serviced. It was picked up on the 28th January stating it would be 7-10 working days until it has been returned to me following pickup. It is now the 12th February, so has been 12 working days, and still no word regarding my machine. I sent them an email last week asking if there was any news regarding my machine and I received a copy & paste type response advising it would be 7-10 working days and they will let me know when it has been serviced. I wrote back indicating that I was very disappointed with this response, and I received another poor reply just stating that they do not know anything yet and that it has been received, they will let me know when it has been serviced.
I am very upset, firstly that my machine had an error that needed servicing in the first place, and secondly that the customer service and time to service is so terribly poor. I have been reading that many people are experiencing errors on these machines, and for the money spent, this is just unacceptable.
Overall, I love the machine. The design is fantastic, the performance is excellent, but for those contemplating a $2000 spend, please be aware that the support you receive in the beginning does NOT continue. The machines do have a high error rate and the time to service is ludicrous. I am not confident this machine will continue to work now that this has happened, and feel dismayed at such a large purchase. My main fear is that when my warranty is up after the 2 years, and the machine continues to get errors, I will have to pay for servicing.

16 people found this helpful, do you? Yes