Generations:

• 3 questions
  • 4 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Mar 2017

The best investment of appliance I have ever purchased

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 01, 2017

I absolutely love my Thermomix. I have had this appliance for about 3 years now, as previously I owned the previous model the TM31. I absolutely love this digital upgrade of the TM5. Where the machine automatically seals the cap, so no pressure build up and explosion, all intact. It does everything, except for frying and who needs that with today's healthy eating regimes. So easy to use, even my kids use it. Loving the digital chip and community page, where you can buy more online recipes and connect it to your thermomix. I highly recommend it.

• 3 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Jan 2015

IT WILL BREAK!!!! my machine is just over 2 years and it will cost £420 to repair !

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

The machine just over 2 years old is the second time that goes for repair! first time under warranty and at this time they have sent a bill of £420 totally unacceptable!! the cause is spill in the motor! how is an equipment design for cooking liquids spilling in the motor ? poor assistance poor customer service! I have decided to don't repair and throw it in the Garbage Bin!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perth

• 1 question
  • 10 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: May 2016

Better than expected!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2017

After having my TM31 for 8 years and never having a single problem with it, I decided to upgrade.

Was hesitant at first after hearing problems from some TM5 owners but I couldn't be happier. Works seamlessly. I enjoy using it more than my TM31, which is now neglected.

I love the new sound once finished cooking, so much more pleasant.

• 5 comments
  • 5 answers
  • 38 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Sep 2015

My best friend in the kitchen

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2017

I absolutely love this machine. I know that it can be temperamental, and I know that if something goes wrong, I'll be without it for a short time. So far, it's been the most amazing thing I've ever bought. While it's extremely expensive, and we know we're ripped off in Australia, it is absolutely worth it. There is rarely a day that goes by without me using it at least once.

You need to go looking for lots of different recipes. The Thermomix books are really great, but sometimes they're a little bland. Look for ones written by Skinnymixer a
nd Tenina, or Jo Whitton to get the best out of it. Being able to make things that you need to buy (such as almond milk, gluten free ingredients, specific flours etc) cuts down on expenses. Being able to use fresh herbs and real stock without preservatives, makes your food taste so much nicer. You get true bursts of recognisable flavour such as garlic and ginger, which is an absolute delight.

The only thing it can't do is brown food. While this is annoying, you can usually work around this, using the TM5 to prep your work (spice mixes/marinades etc) and then brown it off if that was something that was necessary. I use it to steam meat (meatballs/chicken etc) and while it doesn't always look as visually appealing as stove top cooking, it tastes really good.

To get the most out of your device, make sure you attend a demonstration, have your consultant demonstrate it with you, connect with other users on Facebook pages or similar, and just enjoy using it. It's easy to clean, but some ingredients will cause it to discolour (the lid). Don't stress, this will correct itself over time, and does not at all interfere with the use of it.

There has never been a day in the time I've owned it that I've regretted the decision. I look forward to many, many years of using this. It would be very hard to go back.

Victoria

• 2 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Good addition to the kitchen...BUT..

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 22, 2017

I was very happy with it until recently. Used it for everything but I have never used such a sensitive machine. If the cord isn't all the way out or the cord touches something else it affects the scales. Even a grain of rice under a foot. The scales have stopped working now and it's only 4 months old. It doesn't mince gravy beef either...even chopped into cubes and partly frozen. I love it for everything else but the scales in the machine is a big mistake. Not happy that an expensive machine only 4 months old needs repair.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 5 comments

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Great appliance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2017

I was lucky enough to win my TM5. Ive had it just over a year now. No doubt, it is completely worth the price. Ive made so many things i would never have attempted without it. The TM5 guided cooking is great to begin with but once your confident enough, its not essential and most recipes i make dont use the guided cooking. I make so many things from scratch now so its really helped clean up our diet.

Brisbane

• 1 question
  • 12 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Helper but NOT a life changer. Tad bit overrated. Would suggest thorough research before purchasing.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2017

Hi All,
I have had the Thermie for over a year and here are some of my thoughts:

The cons:
1) You probably already know this but I will reiterate it, it does not help with salads. No dicing, slicing and chopping in different shapes. A mush/ puree is all you are going to get.

2) Not useful for processing small quantities. My husband and I like to cook in small quantities and we find that if we try to process/ puree small amounts it only lands up adhering to the body of the mixing bowl. It remains unprocessed. On asking for help or a wor
karound they said, “You can cook in large quantity and freeze”.

What it can do:
3) We use it mainly for making dough and soups. If you are an avid baker, there are other options. Personally, I don’t bake that much so for us it is soups and dough.

4) The recipe list may look extensive but on a closer look you will find it is mainly dips and other things that involve making a puree or dough.

5) Non-cooking expert friendly as forums provide exact quantities and steps. I can ask my husband to make soups. He flies solo and does well!

My Suggestion:

Before making a $2000 investment, I would suggest borrowing a recipe book and taking a close look at what it can do and if that meets your requirements.

Great if you do a lot of dips, soups, cakes, muffins etc.
Great if you always cook in big batches.

Verdict for me!
As for me, I am wondering if I could have settled for a cheaper variant that does soups and dough!
I failed at researching better, but that is my own fault.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

COFFS HARBOUR

• 5 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Wish I owned one years ago

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2017

By far my biggest regret is not buying a thermomix sooner!!! This machine is amazing!! So simple, so great to make delicious, healthy food from scratch. Make bliss balls in minutes, or your own tomato sauce, so the satisfaction of dicing an onion in 3 seconds. Amazing! Highly recommend this brilliant device that does everything!!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

geelong

• 6 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2017

Great product , so simple to make great healthy meals. Clean up is so easy.We have not had any problem at all Should have bought one a long time ago.
Healthy eating without preservatives and additives . Recipes are great and easy to use, We use it a lot more than we ever thought we would.

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Every kitchen should have one!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2017

I hated cooking prior to owning my Thermomix and now I cook in it every day. With 3 young children I love knowing what's in their food (and ours!!). It's so easy to use and creates amazing results effortlessly. This appliance should be standard in every kitchen just like an oven and cooktop are.

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: May 2016

Buying a second Thermomix.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 29, 2017

After 2 weeks of ownership my husband said he should have bought me one years ago. The machine is not perfect but I have adjusted recipes and cooking methods to my preferences. I could not live without one. When our children leave home we plan on giving them our Thermomixes and we will buy new ones.

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Sep 2015

I do NOT love my thermomix.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 22, 2017

I've had my thermomix for well over a year now (purchased to assist in meeting special diet needs in my family) and I keep thinking that at some point I will fall in love with it. I have come close a few times (hollandaise, mayonaise, mash potato, pureed soups, gravy and custard are simply perfect in the thermomix), but there are so many things that annoy me about it! First, waiting for the lid to unlock can be surprisingly frustrating, and Oh My Goodness how annoying is that continuous, endless timer alert - surely just two or three bell sound s would be adequate! Second, you cannot save your own recipes on a $2,000 machine - it's a 2014 model, people!! Third, sauting food is nowhere near as good as the "real" thing (think microwaved mince - it's pretty similar - and gluggy rissoto). Grinding grains and legumes is NOT the same as milling them - the results are underwhelming and time consuming, as you have to grind a small amount at a time and wait for it to cool between chopping sessions (ground nuts are somewhat more satisfactory). If a recipe calls for "Chopping finely" the results are variable and not suitable for presentation to guests - some big bits, some small bits, stuff thrown up the sides... use your chopping board and knife. Don't bother whipping egg whites either. It's claimed to be "self-cleaning" but it is not. It can be rinsed if you put water and detergent in but I don't consider that "self cleaning" since you've kind of done most of the work anyway. Steaming in the varoma is quite good, but not much luck with pasta or poaching in the basket (too small). The mixing bowl is either too small for a full family meal, or too large for chopping herbs for a recipe - they all end up on the sides. YES the TM helps me meet my family's diet needs, and YES I do like it - but I don't love it.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Oct 2004

Simply rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2017

Don't by this product! it looks amazing as you start using it, especially with the digital recipe display but it won't last. Started having issues (malfunctioning) after a year of purchase, had it fixed because within warranty but then weighing stopped working, then heating stopped working, but with the warranty just expired I should be putting more money into fixing something repeatedly; with the huge price that you have to pay to purchase it, becoming out of order just after 2 years it's outrageous! Previous non-digital models were probably better and last longer but now you only have the supposedly better digital version, which in fact turns to be rubbish!

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 5 answers

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Jan 2016

I can't live without my TM5! It comes on holiday with me!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2017

This machine does almost everything! I save money & time everyday cooking basic or gourmet meals & I have paid my machine off almost twice! I since have become a consultant to help others cook good healthy meals from scratch & save money! It's the best thing ever! Its reluctance free motor means no burnt out motor!

Sydney

• 8 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Oct 2010

Still a good investment but I preferred my TM31

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2017

I was a raving fan of the TM31. Absolutely loved it to pieces and used it multiple times a day, took it away with us on holidays even when camping (if there was a power source nearby). I had it for 5 years, then the TM5 came out which my neighbour bought. I went to her delivery demo and I was sold on the new gadgetry and automated features. I took advantage of the 2 years interest free deal that came up a little while later with the thought of giving my old one to my daughter. However 1 year later I'm going to give her the TM5 and go back to th e TM31. If you are an owner of the older model toying with the idea of upgrading, don't do it. The silly new safety features they implemented for people who have no common sense drive me nuts. It is a bit like going from a standard top loader washing machine to the early automatic front loaders - you lose control of what you can do. New users won't know the difference but standing there waiting for the lid to unlock really tests my patience.

However I still think it's good value for money when you put it up against similar quality products (KitchenAid, Vitamix). We've easily cut out huge amounts of preservatives from our diet by not needing to buy processed foods. We only rarely buy commercial bread, or buy the ridiculously expensive gourmet breads. I make my own gourmet artisan breads for a couple of dollars. I make all my own sauces, mayonnaises, yoghurts, cakes, butter, curry pastes.

There is a bit of time needed to adapt to doing things a bit differently but before long you will be cooking things you had never dreamed you were capable of doing. Also for people that have no idea how to cook, it's great. The recipes are step by step - ingredients, time, temperature and speed. No strange terms like saute, simmer which a non cook may not initially know exactly what that means. I know of a couple who had 3 kids under 5, the wife was the main cook as hubby didn't cook. Within 6 months of having the thermomix the husband was the main cook in the house!

One thing nobody mentions when reviewing why anyone would spend $2000 on a machine that several other machines could do for far less money (or the cheaper copies) is the German technology. These machines will still be going in 20 years time. How many blenders would you have burnt out in that time, especially when trying to grind wheat or ice. There are no moving parts, it is electro magnetic. The cheaper versions will burn out in a year or 2 of constant use. A friend of mine has an older model Theormomix she bought out from Germany 20 years ago and it's still going strong!

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Bit scarey but very useful

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2017

This was a totally unexpected Christmas gift (I was expecting to receive one of the cheaper alternative brands). I've been using it for about two weeks now and have to say that it's fantastic. It definitely takes some getting used to as it's a completely different way to cook and requires a lot of attention to the instructions, especially as regards safety (the blades are SHARP!). I've made a variety of dishes so far and am impressed with the versatility the Thermomix offers. It is expensive, that's for sure. And so it's probably not worth getting unless you intend to use it a lot. But if you love cooking from scratch it offers a lot of time saving features. I can't wait to mill my own flour to make bread!

Melbourne

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Apr 2016

We love it

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2016

Both my wife and I are in love with our Thermomix. We are making all kinds of things that we wouldn't have attempted before. It's also left us with more time to concentrate on the kids after work whilst the Thermomix is cooking dinner.
We couldn't live without one now.

Redfern, Sydney

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Limitations of Cookidoo

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2016

I am a new owner.

Thermomix claims that one feature/benefit of being a Thermomix owner is Cookidoo, its online recipe community. User beware. It's search function and usability is highly limited. Cookidoo is capable of searching thousands of recipes but unable to search your purchased collections only. It's a frustrating experience and unaligned with the tech innovation of the Thermomix itself. Instead, Cookidoo seems to be a marketing platform to push its other recipe collections, available for purchase.

Townsville

Generation: TM5 Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Love my thermomix

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2016

The extent of my cooking before getting my Thermomix was to cook a piece of meat (chicken breast, steak, pork chop, fish etc) in a pan, and crack open some salad items (lettuce, carrot, celery, sprouts, capsicum) on to each plate. Since having my thermomix i now 'cook' delicious, nutritious and a variety of meals - curries, pies, soups, snacks, deserts, breads, dips, smoothies and much more. Yes the machine is expensive but i well and truly made my money back with taking the leftovers for lunch instead of buying takeaway each lunch at $10 a pop . I do spend a lot more time in the kitchen cooking now than I ever did, and it is a noisy product at times that requires hearing protection. But overall I LOVE my thermie and am very glad i bought it. I NEVER would have made a new meal for others without testing it out first before I had the thermomix but have had total confidence to make and take anything to someones place without testing it first. I also love being able to whip up a healthy smoothie for my kids after school or a quick desert when someone asks for it. And of course i like being able to make my own products without all the preservatives and fillers.

2 of 8 pages