Generations:
Filter By:
  • 2 comments
  • 3 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Jan 2015

Reliable, economical family SUV excellent off road

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2017

Bought on of the last GXL 3.0L Di in Jan 2015, previously had a 2004 LC100 Sahara TD from new, and a SR5Hilux with the same 3.0L engine. If you have owned a Toyota for more then 3 years its easy to take the reliability and build quality for granted. We have covered over 70k's in the Prado, with only one drama when a 75% worn crappy OE Dunlop Grandtrek o/s/r tyre blew out without warning one wet Sunday afternoon between Gatton & Kilkoy. A quick roadside change assisted by a local policeman who stopped to help slow down the traffic on this narrow road, was followed by a dash to Costco to have a set of new Bridgestone Dueller LT's fitted. Had these before on other vehicles,excellent wear rates, brilliant in wet, mud,rocks only downside is they are noisy on tarmac, small price to pay. We monitor the fuel consumption together with all running costs on all our four vehicles,the Prado is no exception. I choose to monitor on a tank to tank basis which provides more accurate results, to date the cumulative average over 72,000kms sits at 8.9l/100. Capped price servicing for 60,000 kms brings running costs right down, and apart from tyres no other expense incurred, doesn't even use a drop of oil between the 10,000km service intervals. Very relaxing vehicle to cover long distances in, recently did 1200km's in one day, can honestly say didn't feel any discomfort. Have found the handling better than the earlier model, and if you learn to adapt your driving technique for the vehicle you are driving, the on road manners are very good for a vehicle of this size and weight. I have found the handling improves with speed. No need to talk about the off road abilities, its legendary, nice to see a rear diff lock available on the new 2018 GXL as standard, just to help out when the tracks on Fraser Island are dry and full with deep soft sand. Having had four under 10 yrs old children in my previous LC100 (leather) decided to go for the Prado seat covers. After nearly 3 years they have done a brilliant job protecting the original seat covers from the trials and tribulations of family life. What would I like to change? well the dash looks a bit 80's Japanese, the function button for the trip/fuel/etc should be on the steering wheel (like my Corolla's) and not hidden behind the steering wheel, shame Apple Play is not available. The whole dash could do with a redesign which I see from the 2018 facelift has been achieved very tastefully.Had a good look around at the competition before I bought this, including the Land Rover Discovery, which I thought had a beautifully designed dashboard and interior, but the poor record of reliability, durability and dealer support made me realise how good Toyota is. I can remember my father having transfer box failure with his one year old 1967 109'' Land-Rover 2.6, 6 cylinder petrol ( the old overhead inlet side exhaust head from the Rover 110). As they say Land Rover will get you there..........
Seats are comfortable, including the second row with very good leg room, the third row are OK for adults for journeys under 2 hrs, would I buy another, you bet, selling this privately, with full dealer service history and have achieved 75% of the purchase price after 3 years, why would you buy anything else? good dealership support, excellent build quality, durable with low cost of ownership

Adelaide

• 3 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Aug 2017

This is my second one.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2017

My 2012 model Prado has performed so well that I have just traded it up for a new one (August 2017) . Very happy with the resale value of the old one and the new one hasn't disappointed. The Prado is well designed and well built and I am happy with the quality. Plenty of room with the ability to be flexible with the interior space with ease. I am confident the 2.8 litre diesel will perform as well as the three litre and am looking forward to the same reliable performance going forward. Fuel economy is around 9 litres per 100km but too early to comment further. Everything about the Prado is solid, practical and reliable. A vehicle like this should come with tow-bar as standard and built in to look like it wasn't a tacked on afterthought.

• 1 comment
  • 27 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Love this car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2017

I'm really enjoying this car. We travel regularly, to both country and city destinations. Everyone is comfortable and happy. The long range fuel tank is a bonus. To date it has handled well on all types of roads in a variety of conditions. There is nothing that I can find to fault after a year of owning it. Long may this continue!

• 6 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Well worth the moola

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2017

This is an extremely quiet four wheel drive, the steering is light and handles well in the wet and winding roads. The interior is very roomy we have a few adults in the family to accomadate and nno one is squished in any more- the back seat even slides forward or back.. The far back row (seats 6 and 7) are comfortable strong and can take full size adults as opposed to some other 'contenders' in the marketplace. I like the soft suede type fabric and the floor carpeting is very wearable. I havent had it for overly long - 2 services, both capped price with is great. The vehicle is light on the fuel which I was surprised by seeing as it is quiet a big car. All in All I love it.

• 1 review

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Vibration Problems: Bad experience with customer care.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2017

Hello everyone, I purchased GXL Prado in April 2017. Right from that time, I noticed a vibration while I was stopping the vehicle at the traffic lights. It vibrates only in the 'Drive' mode and does not do so in Neutral, Parking and Reverse gears. The engine RPM drops around 625 to 650 mark when it vibrates.

I called Toyota Australia immediately. They advised me to take it to the dealer. I took the vehicle to the dealer. I think they plugged their computer in and said there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and it's just the Diesel engine. As I am an Engineer, I asked them what is the specification on the Idle RPM. They did not seem to have idea about that. One of the mechanic told me that it should be around 700. Later some other mechanic said, it could be 650. They sent me home saying that it does vibrate because its Diesel engine.

I was quite frustrated as the brand new car was not doing the right thing. Hence, I decided to call Toyota Australia again. They sent me back to the dealer again. I was on ad hoc for 3 to 4 times. At the end, I decided to live with it.

Recently, they did the first service. A lady called me from dealer asking whether I had any problems, I reported that this vehicle still has that vibration. She asked me to take the vehicle back to the dealer and it was same story again.

Recently, I also noticed few kicks while I had air conditioning on and waiting at the traffic light. The problem is very intermittent. With my past experience with Toyota, I am not sure whether I will report this at this stage. I may need to go through same process again which will waste a lot of my time.

I am quite happy with what dealer did on this matter as they have a protocol for testing and they could not fault the vehicle. However, I think Toyota Australia should have looked into this matter further by conducting some Engineering test. They seem to have one of the poor service as they don't seem to care about customer service.
My feedback is mainly on this ground. I have rated 2* for my overall experience. I have spent 64K on brand new Prado and they don't seem to care about my experience. If I was getting better customer care, I would have still easily rated them 4*.

With these comments, I would like to ask Prado community, whether they are experiencing similar problems? I read in some forums, people are saying that if Engine is not mounted correctly, it could vibrate. Are there any other reasons for such vibration?

Sydney

Generation: J120 (2002-2009) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Mar 2010

Good car but certainly not invincible.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 21, 2017

Before I eulogise like another Toyota cheer squad about how these cars are so reliable and never break down, perhaps a dose of reality is needed here. Yes, absolutely, Toyota comparative to other manufacturers tend to make very reliable cars but they are not as bullet proof as you may be led to believe. My Prado had done over 300 000km now but has had a laundry list of problems and repairs as it has aged including: worn CV joints, failing front wheel bearings, cracked dashboard, leaking fuel injectors, corroding seat belt anchors, rattling external trim panels, leaking power steering rack, leaking timing chain cover, bad ball joints, worn inner and outer tie rods, cracked engine chassis mounts which cost $ 2600 to repair, cracked inner guards, the infamous rattling steering wheel shaft, and a ruptured fuel filler pipe which spilled fuel all over the service station surface prompting the attendant to run out in an emergency! Toyota in the 2000's went through a quality control crisis as admitted by senior Japanese management. The cars they made in the 90's were much better built than today. I suspect that as a company they continue to ride on the back of that accolade in public perception even if it may not be warranted. Overall a good car, but not without its problems.

Brisbane

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Super to drive

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2017

I am only 5 ft 2 and with the movable seats up and forward it means I find it easy to drive. The reverse cameras and sensors add that extra layer of safety when parking. I love that it has 7 seats for the I have extra children to ferry to sporting events but this does mean limited space for bags. Leg Room is excellent for back seat and if using 7 seats the 2 back ones have adequate room but not if very tall. built in GPS is not the greatest...Still prefermy Garmin.

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Nov 2017

Just curious

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

Has anyone had issues with oil leaks from the tappet cover? I just purchased a used 2014 GXL and have had the issue 1 week post purchase. Purchased from top dealer but just wondering is this a common problem? Dealer is happy to fix so no issue there. Just curious

Gracemere

• 14 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Smooth Ride.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2017

We bought this after owning a Subaru Outback. It is beautiful to drive. Although we rarely use them, I like the option of 7 seats. The back row is not as deep as the outback which is no longer a problem as our youngest is now forward facing, however something to consider if you’ve got rear facing seats..

Purchased at: Toyota Dealers

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Mar 2013

Love my PRADO. Great Car.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 28, 2017

I love love love my PRADO. It is spacious inside with heaps of room for everything. The seats are comfortable and it drives really well. It has a big fuel tank so I only have to fill it once a month and it can cope with heavy towing easily. I always feel very safe in the Prado.

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: VX Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Great Large Car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2017

Love Love Love my prado. It’s spacious, easy to use the functions of the sat nav etc. The rear seats are easy to fold up and down and when folded up there is still ample boot space to store a pram or shopping. The only thing I would change is the way the boot opens, I would prefer it to open up like the doors on the kluger!

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: Kakadu Date Purchased: Aug 2010

Serious engine failure

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2017

Have had this Prado since 2010 and up until now it has been excellent. However, I was towing a 2.3 T caravan near Kings Canyon NT when all of a sudden white smoke appeared and the vehicle lost power. I was able to limp for a further 20 to 30 Km however the engine oil light came on (The first warning light to do so). I stopped in the middle of nowhere and fortunately for the RACV was able to tow it back to Ayres Rock. Prognosis at this stage is that one cyclinder is gone and probably a hole in the piston. Vehicle has only done 180K and the mechanic has informed me that they have a serious fuel injector leakage issue which probably caused my problem. Any feedback would be welcomed.

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GX Date Purchased: May 2016

Rough auto-transmission shifting

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2017

I bought 2016 toyota prado new last year at Manukau Toyota New Zealand.
Some porblems happening and refused service.

1. tail lights leaking : there are mist inside tail light at winter.
company answered : It is normal so can not replace.
2. Auto-transmission does not shift smoothly at some speed ranges. Feeling bump and attack at those range speed.
Auto-transmission control unit is reseted but same problems happening.
and toyota saying it is normal so there is no other way to fix it.

Yesterday I got phone call from my friend he bought toyota hilux (which using same engine and transmission) at near same time and same problems of mine. He complain many times here and there toyota and toyota saying it is driving shaft (not quite sure the exact parts?) problems and they fixed it and no more problems.

Also he report another problem which is extra heavy smoke from new car but not mine.
Toyota saying its problem from diesel fuel injectors and replace all injectors and solved problem.
Toyota mechanic saying some new car showing this problems.

I am not sure all Toyota of all of the world have same problems but as I know NZ Toyota try to hide their problems and cheating customers.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: May 2016

Not a happy family

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2017

The interior would be the only satisfying component of the vehicle. We have had toyotas for many years only for the advertising. After owning the last prado for less than 12 months we had to trade, very disappointing the price keeps going up unfortunately improvements if any are a letdown, the spare wheel on the back door I would not call a feature put it underneath the vehicle where it belongs. After 40 000 ks when you need to replace the tyres change the spare while you're at it and get new brake pads at the same time. Take my advice and look at other dealerships much better and improved vehicles around.

bathurst

• 1 comment

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Great heavy towing family vacation vecile

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2017

I enjoy driving the Prado on long distance (however the down hill override in the motor is very worrying as Toyota has told me this is normal)
I love the room in the front of the vehicle but believe the middle requires more room especially when you have adults or a baby seat in there
to date it has been very reliable car and the running cost compare to my last vehicle so i am happy with that

Adelaide

• 6 comments
  • 13 answers
  • 25 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Jun 2010

Best drive in 50+ years of driving

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2017

I had a Prado (series 90), which I thought would see us out, as it was a great 4WD. Then when I was at CMI Toyota having it serviced, I happened to see the new series 150. I think I fell in love yet again, so I arranged for a test drive so my wife could experience it too. We went and it was great, so we ordered a diesel GXL, Black (how barmy). I gave my daughter and husband a deal they couldn't resist on the old one and a few weeks later we took delivery of it. We have it serviced as it should be by CMI and it's ran amazingly ever since. The only complaint I could have is that the original tyres were absolute rubbish on a 4WD, and the colour seems to attract vandals in shopping car parks. It is big and that lends itself to its comfort. Back in about 1966, I worked in my own business and contracted to a steel fabricator, who purchased a new RR Silver Cloud. To my surprise (and Joy) he asked if I wanted to drive it around the block. The comfort was amazing, and there are features that can't and won't ever be matched, but when I drove the Prado for the first time I was Gobsmacked that the comfort matched what I could remember.
I've now had it for a little over 7 years and still think of it as a new car, albeit having a few vandal scratches. It is driven quite frequently off road, because my son has a few acres in the hills and he thinks of it as his second car. With my Cooper AT Heavy Tires it's an amazing vehicle, since swapping tyres it's never let me down

• 6 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 13 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Feb 2012

Perfect family country car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2017

We love our Prado. We new we wanted to buy a 4x4 after upgrading my BMW 318i once we had kids. We live on a farm and the Prado fits all our needs. It can tow most things....except my in laws huge caravan...we have a 3.5t dual cab for that! We now use it all over the farm and when we go camping its a lot easier with kids as you can store everything in the boot undercover. In 5 years I haven't had any issues until now where my rear parking sensor is sensing something that isn't there. I haven't bothered to get it fixed yet but I will as parking it with them was a breeze its a little hard to tell how close the car behind you is without them! Especially when the rear camera is constantly covered in mud during winter! Overall we love it. Would love to one day get a full sized land cruiser just because I love the car seat size and just extra space in the cab but for now I'm a happy purchaser!

Verified Purchase Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Mar 2016

LOVE our 2014 Prado t/d

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

Great to Drive this is my 5th Prado 2x120 GXLs 1x150 VX 2 x 150 GXLs very comfortable in the roughest of conditions climbing on the Flinders Ranges across the Big Red Sand Dunes or the Cordillo Downs Rd!
Never Let Us Down and they can go most places as standard, that other 4x4s go with their big tyres lift kits , lockers etc excepting maybe deep MUD ruts thats understandable. Since owning my first Prado 12 years ag I can't see us changing to any other 4wd. Only ever 2 issues in that time 100s of thousands of kms over some of the roughest roads and offroads in Oz. 1 a rock hit ABS sensor on the Cordillo Rd, my bad got bored so i was sitting on 100+ when it hit lit up the dash like a Christmas Tree but i just checked under car and no oil leaks and brakes etc all worked ok so took it back to Innamincka and cable tied it back on until reaching Adelaide 2 weeks and 5000kms later. The other was a common issue of the fuel tank showing empty when it is still half full, this was due to an aftermarket bullbar / light / winch fit up where the tech replaced a relay into the wrong spot.

perth

• 3 helpful votes

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Toyota Land cruiser V6 TXL 2013

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2017

I bought the car as a third hand in Kuwait 2017. Beside the usual problems due to lack of maintenance from previous ignorant owner(s), which is sometimes seen in the reckless owners who are thinking about selling off the car, and so leave the basic maintenance requirements aside, I have seen no trouble with the car.
It has a huge space (this is a 6 seater) and the engine can make the heavy body to take off like a sedan car (4 litre engine). However a massive fuel consumption, about 18 litre per 100km. So if you are in countries with high tax rates on the fuel (charged under different names for about a total of 30% of the real price in Australia) then I wouldn't recommend this car to you. If you have a boat to toe, I would recommend to buy V8 model. But bear in mind that more technological advanced vehicles are more expensive for a reason, for example higher dynamic stability and less fuel consumption due to use of better injectors. So you have to compare apple for apple.
In my case I remain happy about the purchase and I hope the car goes well for another few years without any other special care, but just oil / filter / fuel / tyre. Let's see...

• 2 answers

Generation: J150 (2009-2017) Badge: GXL Date Purchased: Mar 2015

Disappointed 2nd Prado

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2017

What a Lemon, two in a row. I finally got to know a salesman and he said he would never own one. The advertising costs is just ridiculous in the prado new today 63k drive away, come on Toyota there a 40k car not many improvements viciously in 20 years. 2.5 tonne towing, Rv owners beware not only fined by the rms towing 2.6 tonne. They are not designed for towing family rvs.

1 of 10 pages