Generations:
Filter By:

Generation: XW50 (2016-2017) Badge: i-Tech Engine Size: 1.8 Date Purchased: Mar 2016

Toyota Prius

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 05, 2017

Great ride, smooth and trouble free. Really enjoy driving this quiet, efficient and fuel efficient vehicle. Roomy interior with ample foot room in both front and rear. Panel has all you need to ensure a drama free and hassle free drive. Radio controls very simple to use. Lots of storage space as well

Brisbane

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Generation: XW20 (2003-2009) Badge: i-Tech Engine Size: 1.5 Date Purchased: Sep 2009

Great car, low running costs, great technology

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

Bought car at auction in 2009, it was 1 year old. 8 years later i have spent nothing on repairs apart from the standard service, 2 sets of tyres and 1 $80 starter battery. Fantastic for city driving, goes great on the open road and excellent air conditioning when driving out west. Done 210,000 km and still getting 4.8 litres per 100 km. Still on the original hybrid battery and going strong. Will upgrade soon and buy another prius. Its the least trouble i have had with a car and i have been driving for 29 years.

• 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

Generation: XW30 (2009-2015) Engine Size: 1.5 Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2017

Looked at a lot of cars before l chose the Prius was blown away by the performance when l tool it for a test drive it's a zippy little car for getting around town but has the power on the open road it is very economical to run l absolutely love it

• 8 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: XW30 (2009-2015) Badge: i-Tech Engine Size: 1.8 Date Purchased: Dec 2012

Love it. I don't know why it's not popular here in AU. What are people afraid of it? Ignorance perha

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2017

We've owned our 2012 Prius i tech since end of 2012. So far, it's been great, no issues, petrol consumption has been 5L/100. Bear in mind, i tech has 17 inch tire and heavier (solar panel) than none i tech. My friend's none i tech has 16 inch, so he gets 4.5L/100. The car (at the time we bought it) had good features, e.g. radar cruise control and emergency braking (of cos now "all" cars have it), digital radio, electric air con, heated seats, heads up display, touch activated door etc etc. I couldn't find all features on a $80,000 BMW / Merc at the time.

The transmission (eCVT) is superb! Forgot those CVTs in corolla or subaru. This CVT is different than those metal threaded belt driven CVT. This one is the best! It's smooth and efficient in terms of torque and power band. I know those traditional petrol heads don't like it, but so far I can't find any issues of it.

One issue I found so far is that, the front tires seem to have tire cupping issue. The dealer was reluctant to acknowledge that it's a real issue. The answer I got was, you drive too fast and turn corners too hard. This is one thing which I'm not happy about the car. Also when turning, (I know it's not a sports car) the centre of gravity is too high (I guess due to where the battery is placed. It's behind / under the rear passenger seats), hence the rolling during turn is quite noticeable.

The other issue is probably depreciation, not that I'm going to sell the car any time soon but last time I checked, this car is probably only worth a bit over $25000 now (compare it to a hilux, or a corolla!).

I'm not sure about the latest gen prius, but it could be better if solar roof panel could charge the main drive battery. This would be awesome.

Overall I'm really happy with this car. Unless Tesla drops its prices in the next few years, I would buy one more prius before going full EV.

Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: XW50 (2016-2017) Badge: ZR Engine Size: 1.8 Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Great car, low fuel and emissions but still powerful

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 07, 2017

Great car. Have driven over 2000kms now and love it. The hybrid system is seamless and there is no loss of power switching from electric to petrol and vice versa. Uses about half the petrol of our old Ford Fiesta (which was also a great car). Lots of features like LED headlights, auto adjustable cruise control, wireless phone charger, 10 speaker stereo with bluetooth, large console screen with fantastic reverse camera. Very quiet car even when the petrol engine is working. Almost silent when it's just the electric motor. Can't find any issues. Love it.

• 5 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: XW20 (2003-2009) Badge: i-Tech Engine Size: 1.8 Date Purchased: May 2010

Perfect

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2017

I have had my Toyota Prius I Tech for seven years and I absolutely love it. I do not have to fill it up with petrol very often due to its effective use of fuel. It is also very spacious inside with a high roof. I couldn't live without my Prius.

Private message

Generation: XW30 (2009-2015) Badge: i-Tech Engine Size: 1.5 Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Economical - Smooth - Comfortable - 7 seater

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

The 2012 Toyota Prius delivers stellar fuel economy without requiring much effort on the part of the driver. The smartphone-connected Entune system brings live destination search, traffic data, and Pandora streaming to the dashboard. Voice command tech and intuitive steering-wheel controls help to keep eyes on the road.he 2012 Toyota Prius just works, delivering outstanding fuel economy, good cabin-tech options, and a comfortable ride with few compromises.

Sydney

• 8 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Generation: XW50 (2016-2017) Engine Size: 1.8 Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Lovely smooth ride with lots of bells and whistles

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2017

We bought our Prius V i-Tech (7-seater version of the Prius i-Tech) just last month (march 2017). I like the standard of trim of the itech with leather seats and my wife loves the moon roof for those gloomy wintery days. Compared to our previous 7 seater which was a Renault Grand Scenic it is a bit more squeezy for my 6 foot plus frame and its a little narrower. But having said that there is a bit more length in the car that makes the legroom acceptable whatever the seat position of the front seats. The two extra seats in the back also have reasonable leg room. Too many of these Wagon style 7 seaters make you compromise too much to actually fit people older than 5yrs into the two back seats. I also like the 2-3-2 configuration better than the 2-2-3 configuration of the Honda Odyssey. Much more practical and allows you to use the boot for most journeys with our 3 kids.
Driving it is easy. No lurching between gears as it has the CVT gearbox. No gear change lag. But it does have its own lag when attempting to accelerate hard. Most of our driving is around town and the suburbs and the drive is very easy and smooth. You can select between 4 different drive modes. Normal, EV (electric only - very short range), Eco (for best fuel economy in normal driving) and PWR for more grunt. We alternate between normal and Eco around the burbs and have found acceleration pretty comparable to our old Renault (4 speed Auto 2.0L).
It has pretty good keyless entry. Just have the key in your pocket or handbag and reach for the handle or press the button for the boot. Tap the handle to lock. It has a heap of other functions we haven't got to in the user manual.
Warranty for the battery is now 8 years and I have spoken to many Prius owners who have had no problems at all for over 12 years.
My minor gripes would be for me the reduced roof height with the moon roof, the slow electric seat adjustment (no presets and I have to stand in the rain for 10 to 15 secs to get from my wife's seating position to mine.). No alloy wheels as standard even on our top of the range i-Tech.
The economy is pretty good at around 5l/100km but they make you buy Premium fuel to maintain the warranty. So the cost saving is a bit reduced.
Am I happy with the car....Yes. Would I choose differently next time. Probably not. At least until someone makes a larger 7 seater with comparable cost of ownership.

Perth

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 15 answers
  • 7 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: XW20 (2003-2009) Badge: SX Engine Size: 1.5 Date Purchased: Jul 2011

Amazing! Reliable! Cheap to run!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2017

These cars last forever, with regular servicing. There are cases of taxi's in the USA which have over 1 million miles and all they needed was regular servicing and one hose replaced. The reason is, that the electric/battery tech helps the mechanical/petrol engine, which means the petrol engine doesn't get anywhere near as much stress/work as a typical car engine. Less wear and tear = more reliable.

We've had ours since 2011 and it's been brilliant to drive and saves so much in fuel. A tank (say $60 for a full tank of 95RON nowadays) does between 900 - 1000 km's (depending on how/where you drive).

Nothing major has gone wrong. We had to replace the 12V battery once as it wasn't a Prius compatible one (any battery of the right size will fit, it's just that the Prius compatible one's hold their charge better).

The centre console fabric wore away in a couple of places and created a hole in one, so we paid less than $100 to have it recovered in a nice velour.

Priuschat.com is a brilliant resource.

We've installed a flip-down monitor for the rear passengers (went way too big, so something like a 12" screen would be best), connected to a Sony Head unit with USB. Don't buy Sony (or Pioneer) if you want to play video's via USB as they use Divx, so you have to try and re-encode all your video's into Divx, and at the correct bitrate and resolution.... which is all but impossible as the source video's are all different resolutions. I'm experienced at video conversion, and even I gave up and went back to burning DVD's. I'd suggest a half-decent Chinese head unit, as they play pretty much anything you throw at them, without having to have it converted first. Something from https://www.carjoying.com/au-warehouse.html for instance. I've not bought from them yet, but in correspondence with them they've been very honest and informative (even directing me to another site for a component)

• 2 questions
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Generation: XW30 (2009-2015) Badge: i-Tech Engine Size: 1.8 Date Purchased: Jun 2014

Best car I ever owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2017

Using this car is always a good driving experience. The performance and handling is very good. The interior is roomy and quiet and very easy for a tall person to enter and exit the car. The car is very reliable. Running costs are low due to the hybrid design. Petrol consumption around city and suburbs with constant short trips returns about 5.6--5.8 litres/100 klms but on a recent freeway trip of 120 kms it used only 3.7 litres/100 even including 2 stops. There are too many features to mention. Has travelled 110,000 klms and I have had it since about 80,000 klms on the clock. I would buy another for sure.

Generation: XW30 (2009-2015) Badge: i-Tech Date Purchased: Feb 2014

Simply the best

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2016

Our first 2010 Prius was great but got destroyed in a bushfire, so we upgraded to a 2013 iTech which is even better. Not one problem, fuel efficient, easy to drive, loads of features, and especially love the solar panel on the roof which reduces the inside temperature when parked. The only thing I would swap it for is a fully electric vehicle, which is planned for once we get our solar battery backup installed soon, and will look to Toyota first for this as they make brilliant cars.

Tweed

• 4 comments
  • 10 answers
  • 19 helpful votes

Generation: XW20 (2003-2009) Engine Size: 1.5 Date Purchased: Nov 2004

We've driven it 'into the ground'

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2016

Bought our Prius new in 2004, now has 418,000 km on the clock. In all that time, it has given us very little trouble and generally been an excellent family car. I'm certainly no mechanic but I serviced it myself since 120,000 km, which is mainly just changing the oil. Had two recalls which cost nothing. Both our kids did their driving hours in it, so it's a bit battered these days but still going well.

THE MAIN BATTERY. Ours died at about 340,000 and 10 years of age - you get plenty of warning, ours died over a period of a week or so, red warning lights came on well before the car itself started to die a few days later. It never actually stopped, but it started to get very sluggish after a week. After ringing around I found a guy who exchanged our battery for a 'reconditioned' one, which just means he had replaced the weakest cells (ReVolt I think, in Queensland). Cost was $1000.00 for the battery - I think he charges a bit more to install it. We've had the replacement battery in for around 70,000 km without any further issues.

Other troubles? We've had very few. Rear tailight cluster ($180.00). Probably three 12 volt batteries. Front struts at 3000,000. One set of brake pads. One set of spark plugs. Headlight plastic has dulled, which seems common these days.

All in all, it's no oil painting and a bit quirky, but it really is a great car. I can't believe the thing is still going after all these km.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sydney

• 3 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Prius Battery Life 2nd Time Around

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2015

On my Prius when the battery was finished the car did not stop, did not require a tow truck. Just the alarm came on the dash board, the battery charged full and discharge again totally within a few km. Most noticeable the battery cooling fan run permanently (non stop). I managed to drive to Prius Battery Exchange Australia in Rydalmere (Sydney) and they put a reconditioned battery in. They kept the old one.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: XW10 (1997-2003)

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2015

I like this car. With increasing fuel prices, it doesnt pay its way back for a fair while (10yrs on 2006 prices). I havent had any issues in the 3 years I've owned it.

+ Fast. Ridiculously easy to drive. Fuel efficient (750k to 50L tank). Good resale price (according to car sale websites). Comfortable to be a passenger. Enough passenger room for 5 incl driver, and luggage room even with the battery. Cheap servicing ($125 for a full service at a Toyota service).

- A little weird looking. Not very gutsy on uphills (though not many 1.5L are). A little cramped in the drivers seat, but I'm 190cm tall. Its a new product, so maybe all the bugs havent been worked out yet.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

No issue but driving a Toyota heres a razor blade...

• 3 helpful votes

Generation: XW30 (2009-2015) Badge: i-Tech Engine Size: 1.8

Love my Prius 2009

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2015

I love my 2008 hybrid Prius bought it new and would never ever buy another straight petrol car a again fuel Eco fantastic 3.9 per 100 km it is by far the best car l have ever had. Just up graded to an I tech 2013 love this car and l would never ever change. Cheap to run cheap to service and so reliable. 10 out of 10

• 1 comment
  • 12 helpful votes

Generation: XW20 (2003-2009)

Is the Prius really green and does Toyota care about its Prii customers?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 07, 2014

I bought a used 2005 model Prius 2 years ago. I've loved it and it's had great fuel consumption after having driven an old Camry prior to this. However, recently my love affair with the Prius has come to an abrupt end. After 5 days in a smash repair shop where I had the bonnet resprayed, the dashboard showed me the notorious 'triangle of death' upon picking up the car. It seems very odd to me that the HV battery pack would fail after merely standing in a workshop for 5 days. The car has an excellent service history and everything was working fine when I put it in. One mechanic that I’ve since spoken to commented that there does not seem to be a viable explanation for this occurring. Of course, the smash repairer denied all responsibility, and the local Toyota dealer initially quoted me just under AU $ 5000 for a new HV battery pack (supply and fit).
According to Redbook the car is worth AU $ 8000, so I've got a big dilemma on my hands now, especially given that I'd just spent over AU $ 800 on the spray painting job. Of course the battery was just 9 months out of its 8 year warranty (but still under the 160 000 kms of the other warranty criterion - incidentally the warranty period in California compliant emission US states is 10 years), and the Toyota dealer's warranty claim with Toyota Motor Corporation was rejected twice on the basis that it had exceeded the 8 years.
I have spent the better part of my week ringing and googling around to get more information about this situation as I am extremely disappointed with Toyota Motor Corporation’s small minded and mean decision. In this exploration I found that given the limited long-term experience with Hybrids so far and the public’s widespread concern with the long-term reliability of this as yet untested new technology, Toyota seemed keen to let the market place know that they will be there if things go wrong with the HV battery (hence the extension of the HV battery warranty from 5 to 8 years, cf). Non-Toyota online claims vary from a life of 7-10 years to the lifetime of the car. In the US there are alternative options for reconditioned batteries that are much cheaper than replacing it with a new one. Unfortunately though, these options don't seem to exist in Australia.

Based on my research and experience, there are 2 main issues:
1. One Auto Electrician told me that Hybrids' claim to be 'green' is misleading as the savings in petrol and lower emissions over time is made up by the price of a new battery pack and the environmental impact of the disposal of the old battery packs.
2. What Toyota Motor Corporation does not seem to recognise is that their decision to reject my and the Toyota dealer’s warranty claim greatly impairs the resale value of the car. After 8 years you never know if you’re going to be hit with a massive HV battery pack replacement bill, which may well come close to if not exceed what you initially paid for the car. This is unlike conventional second hand cars, where you’d expect to pay a few hundred dollars worth of repairs, not a few thousand in one hit.
Due to my experience with Toyota's inflexibility and pettiness around their discretionary warranty decisions, I would caution anyone considering the purchase of a second hand Prius that's reaching the end of its HV battery warranty, ie approaching 8 years of age. Of course if you’re thinking of buying a new Prius and are planning on selling it sometime down the track you may want to think twice whether this is a good idea given the potential problems that second hand buyers may have with the car once this issue becomes more widely known, including Toyota’s stance towards it as I had to experience.

In summary, Toyota’s rejection of my warranty claim seems a very short sighted approach to a matter that is of importance to a company that tries to promote and instill confidence in the market place in a still relatively new technology. The way this situation has been handled by Toyota Motor Corporation has put me off buying another Toyota ever again, and you should think very hard before buying a Toyota Hybrid, new or second hand, as well.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I've since had to replace the battery pack and pay for it myself as I had no other option. I was shocked to learn that the new Toyota battery pack only has a warranty period of 12 months (???!!!).

Generation: XW30 (2009-2015)

Lovely car, pity about suspension

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2014

I had one of the previous models to this one (2003) and it had the same issue - poor suspension. Low to the ground to cut wind resistance and push fuel efficiency but can feel every bump in the road.

Other than that, I can get around 5.1L/100km which is pretty fair. Means a fill up every few weeks. Would like to see the plugin version in Australia, but they aren't selling one from Toyota yet - has to be custom job.

+ Very fuel efficient. No issues reliability wise. Warranty pricing is $130/service.

- Poor suspension in the series as a whole.

a great car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2013

We're extremely happy with our 2004 prius that we've had for 4 years, which has done 153,000ks since we bought it. We estimate that we've saved $7500 in fuel compared with driving a similar car with a conventional engine. Maintenance costs have been low, and the existing big battery pack is still doing well. We're still able to get 4.8lt per 100ks, when we're easy on the acceleration, 5.1lt at other times, which is country driving. Efficiency is better in urban areas. Our bikes fit in the back. Quiet, reliable, roomy and pleasurable to drive.

brisbane

• 2 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

unbelievable

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2013

Have had a prius for 5 years and have --- bought it as a used car at a government auction on a whim
i am utterly impressed with every aspect of this car even forgetting the fuel economy, it has been completly reliable and has not missed a beat, i currently use it as a workhorse carting building materials arround, i have put almost a tonne in the rear, this car has put up with my abuse and still comes up smiling ---- recommend to everyone

+ everything

- you dont look cool in it and its a bit ugly

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 27 helpful votes

Generation: XW30 (2009-2015) Badge: i-Tech

Extraordinary!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2013

This is a little awkward , because I have now had two Prius cars in a row! The NWZ 20 series I-Tech ( which I have given to my wife to replace her Rav $ ) and now I have the the NW30 serties I-Tech..( thats the latest model with the funny front lights.)
I bought the first one to use as my ' Rep's car , as I am on the road a lot and wanted to control my fuel bills..Little did I know that the quirky things in the Prius tend to grow on you and change the way you enjoy driving.At first I tried really hard to be frugal, but after a while that lost its amusement factor and I ended up trying to Fog it in highway and city driving .. The reality is that they drive no different to what any 2ltr car might be expected to behave.. and use around 5 to 5.5 litres per hundred k's depending on how hard you press the peddle!

The I-Tech's are the top of the range versions and have almost every imaginable electronic toy, so they are fun to play with .. The best electronic toy is the Radar Cruise Control!! Press a button and set your speed.. that's normal, but in this system , if the idiot in front of you slows down then My Car slows down and I don't even have to put my foot on the brakes! It will keep the preset distance between me and the car in front.. Terrific for long Highway travel , as well as city driving on freeways!.. Anyway , with typical Toyota reliability, I have cut my families fuel bills by two thirds, and never looked back!

+ Amazing electronics!

Purchased at: Toyota Dealers

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 2 pages

XW20 (2003-2009)

What should I choose between 2nd gen Prius iTech and 3rd gen base grade? The differences between 2nd and 3rd gen? Thanks

Edward asked on Nov 28, 2015

Answer this

I never drove a Gen 3. I hear they use sightly less fuel.
My Gen 2 high tech is a dream and did not cost much.
80 percent of all Prii are Gen 2 except Taxis

XW20 (2003-2009)

Hi, I'm seriously think of buying 2006 Prius itech model with really low kms(90k). Owner said the battery pack was already replaced in the last recall back in March when it was still in 8 year warranty. How much is that worth and what should I be afraid of owning this hybrid vehicle? Thank you.

Edward asked on Nov 19, 2015

Answer this

Do own a Hybrid is the best yon can have if you are energy minded,
I have 2 , a 2005 Prius and a 2014 Prius C.
I am not aware that there was ever a recall on the HV battery, People would talk about it.
From Toyota it costs $ 3888.-- for a new Battery installed with a 1 year warranty.
You can get reconditioned Batteries for less than $ 2000.-- also with a warranty.
Low milage is good and bad as the battery last longer if worked hard .
2006 Prius are quite inexpensive on the second hand market.
I trust this assists with the decision to be made.

Thank you, Hybrid. Could you also advise me what to look out and what to ask to owner when I make inspection to that car?

Need some help. I seriously considering buying a 2003 Toyota Prius hybrid. Are they any good? All the reviews I have read on here seem to be about the newer ones. The private seller is asking 5300 it's done 189 thousand Ks. I have never bought or even test driven one of these cars before. The only experience I have had with Prius hybrids is being in a cab in Perth city and noticed how quiet it was and how freakishly agile it was. (I had a scary ass taxi driver mind you) Keeping this in mind I have also been sussing out a 2007 Prius hybrid and the seller is asking 11k is that pricey? He has not Got much information about the car or why he is selling it. Any opinions and help would be greatly appreciated.

Tam asked on Nov 16, 2013

Answer this

Okie dokie .. I guess I am a Prius Groupie as we have two of them..
My 2005 Prius has been an excellent vehicle.. It now has almost 250,000 klm on it and all is good.. Both my Prius's are the i-Tech model which has all the goodies and toys in them..ie cruise control and more multi screen info .. it sounds like you are buying a base model ( even those are quite good cars, but not too many toys).. All I wouold recomend is getting and NRMA , RACQ or RACV inspection.. to ensure the mechanicals are all in good order.. Otherwise.. GO FOR IT!!

let me know .. i am really interested.!
Cheers
Bob

Hi My Prius 2004 is the best most reliable car i have ever owned i have had it from second hand since 2008 ---- Having said that i would not buy a 2003 (Personally) because i just believe that buying a car that is 11 years old is a bit risky no matter what it is ------- If you can afford it, i would buy a less expensive new car that has 5 years warrantee ----- the problem i feel is that, in this day and age things just cost too much to fix ---- eg i believe the battery in the Prius lasts from 10 to 15 years and costs around $4,000 to replace ---- the 2003 is around about that age ---- short answer ----- love the Prius --- but i wouldn't buy a Prius that age----- and if you have to --- buy a car that is less tech (hybrid)

good luck Ross

Hi Tam. Pretty sure the 2003 model was the old Series 1? If so I would probably avoid it and try to get a series 2 model which started in 2004 I think. The first series is getting a bit old now and is more likely to have problems (not as well designed as the later ones from what I have been told) and parts could be harder to find and more expensive.

See all 7 questions about Toyota Prius

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details