First time user

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2018

I used Uber twice for the first time in Geelong on the weekend. Can’t complain much except to say that the second driver was not friendly, and charged double for the same distance ride as the first (return journey to hotel). There was little waiting time, the routes driven were direct, the cars wereboth clean and tidy and the first driver was friendly. Could work out dearer tgan a taxi. Also, i doubt I’d use it on my own.

Canberra, ACT

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

It is quite convenient but just too expensive

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2018

When Uber first rolled out I really like that idea and started using it as soon as it is available in Australia, however, it is now getting more and more expensive and it just kinda lost the point of having it and it is just like a taxi booking app. Hope they make some adjustments and make it what it was again

Perth

• 9 comments
  • 5 answers
  • 16 helpful votes
Private message

Their business model will exclude me

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 03, 2018

Have been in an Uber with a friend who organised the service through her smartphone app, the service both to and from our location. The car was clean, drivers friendly and provided a good service.
I am one of those people who never downloads apps nor would ever trust a third party charging service to one of my accounts and especially credit card through a mobile phone interface and faceless third party server.

I just don't trust these new world mobile based payment systems , there is no control and no security and giving others permission to debit freely just does not cut it with me unless I initiate it via my own means. . I don't mind if I control that through my bank myself or by point of sale exchange.

So while I rate the experience good, I'm sticking to Taxi's because I can control the payment method more securely and at my preferred type of payment.
All other mobile apps such as betting and eats are also in the same category with me. ,

Account hacked

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2018

My Uber account was hacked and someone was able to some how have a shared account with me so I was paying for all their rides. I asked Uber how this was possible as they told me a guy called [name removed] was sharing my account. They never answered how this happened!!!

Rating

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2018

I had a five star rating and remained at that rating after using uber for weeks , then all of a sudden I dropped to 4.97 There was no logical explanation I am always polite thank them for picking me up and thank and compliment when we reach the destination. I always give the driver 5 but now I think I am wasting my time being so nice.

Melbourne

Private message

UberPool is a good idea but defeats the purpose

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

I used UberPool over the weekend as it is newly introduced in Melbourne and claims to be 70% cheaper than the usual version. It is quite a good product if you’re on a tight budget but the drivers don’t seem keen on it, the one time I used it I had to walk to the pick up location about 15mins and then wait a further 15mins for the car to arrive, and the driver refuses to cross the T junction of traffic lights to get to me (although he clearly knew it was me as I was the only one at the sidewalk waving at him).

Adelaide

• 1 question
  • 2 helpful votes

Uber vehicle inspection

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2018

I am a Uber driver. We have to inspect our vehicle to make sure that our vehucle are in acceptable conditions for passenger safety. When I book for inspection I wasnt given any information on cost of inspection they had. But upon arrival at workshop I found out its 75.00. Well if you are charging for something I believe it is good to pre inform while making a booking rather than taking by surprise. If we are pre inform we can work out and plan ahead. I understand there are fees for the services but would have been more professional if you can pre inform the applicants.

Cheers !!

Over charged

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2018

I caught uber from Bald Hills to Aspley on the night of the 24th of June. Uber couldn't give me an exact quote. I asked the driver, he didn't know but estimated around the $20 mark. The next day I checked. I was charged $36. I was slugged a $15 surcharge. Im sticking with taxis. They're cheaper.

I'm an Uber driver.....

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2018

All Uber drivers are "TRACEABLE"....For your info, Uber should and can get hold any driver at any time (or they can lock them out if they have issues with them)!! To read some of the issues raised in this forum seems a little far-fetched or Uber is not being "Fair"... My opinion is to get these "dodgy" drivers identified and boot them out of Uber...gives us a bad name...

Kippa ring

Gossip

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Redcliffe drivers gossip about every trip they do . I've heard from many passengers about every journey they have done.Unless it's a police matter and you don't take it to the police Ithey should shut up or not do the drive ? Best pay out of towners who are happy to cruise in and out . Next time could lead ya big mouths to a law suit ?

Uber has gotten worse

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2018

I have not been in a cab for over two years because I could not praise Uber enough...well boy has that changed, cars are dirty, they have reduced the drivers commission I believe hence no more water and mints (loved this personal touch ), and now they charge up to triple the normal fare and why ? Because it’s a busy period ....so what let people wait a bit longer , it just means the drivers are making more money and being extra busy ! I’ll try the new Ola from now on !

Mostly good

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2018

I have had pretty good service from Uber until last Tuesday. I booked an Uber to pick me up. I watched the driver do circles trying to find my location. I then tried to ring the driver to give further directions (other than the address I supplied in the order). I could not get through as his phone went straight to voicemail. He then cancelled my order and I got charged $10 cancellation fee (because he had to wait more than five minutes). NOT HAPPY UBER! I want my money back!!!!

Verified Customer

Too expensive

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2018

The cost of an Uber ride was outrageous. For a distance of 4.8 km cost $26. Your competition is hot on your heels! Reassess your surcharges so that you remain competitive.

Booking for specific times.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2018

I got charged a cancellation fee when I had thought I'd requested a driver at a certain time. It was my first time using the service, I selected the time window then the pickup drop off locations. But then I got a message telling me where 3 drivers were, not thinking anything of it went about getting ready until the driver called. So needed to cancel. When I tried to book by destinations first choose the car and then the booking window got an error message. So in the end I booked it Just in time. There was any story...

Great - if they rock up

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2018

I booked one for transport to Melb airport. Tracker described the car that was on its way. Then the info changed to another car supposedly because it was closer - tho the tracker said it was further away. This meant pick-up time would be on the far edge of requested pick-up time. A few minutes later the tracker said that car had also canceled and they were trying to find another driver. TRYING TO FIND ANOTHER DRIVER!?! YOU HAVE ONE JOB!! Fortunately, another car came and was only a few minutes late and made great time and I had allowed lots of extra time so it ended up ok (the driver I had was great;.as was previous one even tho he got lost due to traffic works) but it may not have. If you're pressed for time, use a taxi.

Lounge Room

• 19 answers
Private message

Child safety and the law

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2018

Did you know that parents expect their children can be transported by Uber without the parent supplying and fitting approved child seating?

The Law
Federal and state laws mandate the children less than 8 years old must be secured in approved child car seats.
The ONLY exemption is taxis.
Uber drivers (not parents) incur fines and points if stopped by police.

The Reality
Parents would never allow their kids to travel unsecured in their own cars.
In an accident unsecured children have been thrown through the windscreen resulting in injury, permanent disability or death.

Parent responsibility
Parents must supply and install child car seats and stop expecting drivers to break the law.

Uber driver responsibility
Refuse to transport unsecured children and report incident so Uber can take appropriate action.

Convoluted UX design

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2018

Hard to find features such as "split fare". App is not intuitive and slightly frustrating to use. Great concept but put off via app experience (a shame for a promising go-to)

Ashgrove’s

Uber has changed lot

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 26, 2018

I have been uber rider for past year and i used it daily. I have noticed there prices has gone so high that there's not much difference in cab ride anymore. Its very disappointing how you guys keep doing that. And also drivers are not very aware of location which make us pay even more than we expected. I started using uber because it was fast affordable and convenient but now its not same.
One valued customer lost. Will not order uber anymore.

Shortcuts that appear on Uber App

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 30, 2017

I regret I am most unimpressed that the Uber imposed shortcuts that arbitrarily appear on my Uber Map are a major frustration. Surely as the user I should have the option whether or not a shortcut is required. I now have destination shortcuts which I will never use again..... Come on Uber...... At least give the users an option to retain/delete a destination other than under 'saved' places menu option. Responses to queries raised with Uber (through the Uber 'delete account' menu option) also indicated that while staff tried to assist in resolving my frustration with the Uber imposed shortcuts they regrettably seemed completely in the dark on the subject!

No Uber available

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 14, 2017

Tried to get Uber 10 times and it kept coming up no service in area try later had to get back from operation from Hospital. First time ever used Uber, will and cannot be trusted again, looks like it's back to the Buses for me. Shame it could be good but not trustworthy means you can't trust them for a trip that you need to make.I got the bus home and it only cost $2.50. Yes I am the winner more money in my pocket!!!

1 of 2 pages

Can I pay cash to the driver in Melbourne Australia?

Blossoms asked on Oct 31, 2018

Answer this

I am not aware of any way to pay the driver cash if you use the App to order a ride. However if you arranged for him to pick you up without using the App (call him/her privately) you could probably get him/her to quote you for the trip and pay him cash. They are not supposed to do it but many do. I am not sure of the insurance arrangements in these cases.

As far as I know (and the procedure I followed) was to book the uber through the app upon which you include your bank details. Once your journey is completed uber bills you through your bank account and this is how they collect the money.
The downside to this is, for my ride the driver did not arrive for over 20 minutes and I was charged a 10AUD cancellation fee which I have disapproved.
Further I had to cancel my bank card and have a new card issued by my bank to prevent any further deductions from my bank account by uber.
Giving bank details to unknown parties are tricky and something I choose to avoid.
Uber is not any cheaper than taking a silver cab or a 13cab (some drivers do not know their way around Melbourne - watch out that your fair is not increased due to this)
Uber hires any person who wishes to drive for them, they lack professionalism and I would not use the uber service in the future
Hope this helps :)

Thank you for the information. I too dont like giving my credit card details. Sometimes I have missed important apointments dueto the delay òf the taxi more than 45 mins

Has anyone found a phone number that you can call to speak to a human being if you have an issue you can't fix through the App? The 1300 number on the site, even though it says 24/7 rider support turns out to be only support for the drivers.

Peter asked on Oct 24, 2018

Answer this

Read both your review and this question.

My family and friends have been using Uber extensively for nearly 3 years and have never been able to find any reference to Rider phone support. Please provide the relevant Rider web link you mentioned.

Research of their website only mentions Driver phone support.
(..Got questions about driving with Uber?
Driving with Uber...
5 Ways to Contact Uber for Help
Whether you’re on the road or taking the day off, drivers can contact Uber for support whenever they need to — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...
4. Phone support..)

Drivers main feedback is about riders who forget phone, sunglasses etc. Typically Drivers get abused, threatened, assaulted and receive no monetary compensation. I guess it is not surprising then that some items are tossed out (or taken by a subsequent rider).

Also not surprising, given hacking etc, that Uber refuse to help when a rider can’t provide correct account details.

Anyway there are a number of additional documented ways to contact Uber and specifically include lost items.

A friend forgot their phone in a taxi. Rang the taxi company and provided all the trip details etc. If you guessed the phone was returned you guessed wrong. New Phone=$1100.

If you do locate an Uber contact number, find a ‘phone contactable company’ or get your phone back please share here. Thanks.

I happened to be a passenger in a car and I spotted a very large building with an UBER sign on it. I went in and the staff there were very helpful. It was a Driver centre where they processed applications for new drivers. I explained my problem to the young man at the counter who said one of the support staff could help me. After about 15 minutes a young lady listened to my story again, took identification, found the driver and called him. He had the phone. He subsequently dropped it into the Driver Centre where I will pick it up today. Happy (if very lucky) ending. Write down your user name and password as if you get them wrong you haven;'t got a chance.

More interesting is that the driver still had it.

In this instance you solved the issue by visiting their office which contradicts with your ‘no chance’ comment above !?

I assume you were mistaken about the Rider contact number.

Did you give a ‘Lost Item Return Fee’, for YOUR inconvenience to the driver, as listed in the Help section of the app?
Hint - your phone is worth more than $20 :)

How do u get an Uber for 2 people?

Michelle J asked on Aug 09, 2018

Answer this

I am assuming that you mean one car and two passengers. If so it is like getting a taxi (one car+2 passengers) except you book via the Uber app.

Yep 1 Uber car for 2 ppl. Only $5 cheaper than a taxi and poor service