Karrinyup

Cancellation Fee

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

Ordered an Uber from the airport. The driver came in small Kia with no bootspace for our luggage. I had to cancel the driver and incurred an $8 fee which the driver said Uber would refund if I contacted customer service. I went through the App to refund and still haven't been refunded. Looking on my CC they have charged another $5 for no reason. Tried to call Uber today only to realize I have to pay 99c per minute to speak to a person to get my money back. Absolutely ludricrous!!!!

Rye

• 11 helpful votes

Terrible telephone manners

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2017

Was looking to sign up to drive for them, there was an issue with part of my application so a phone call was organised, the woman rang the wrong number twice after I gave them the correct number three times she finally called the correct number, the question I had was answered I then tried to ask another but was continuously talked over, I could not get the question out, I then asked to speak to someone else because I could see this incompetent fool was simply not going to give me a chance to speak, I told her I thought she was rude and arrogant she the hung up on me, I then contacted them via live chat and was told if I wanted to complain I had to go into their office, which is a 2 hour drive for me.
I have been in transport for over 30 years and never have I come across someone that is as rude and arrogant as her, she should not have a job and definitely needs counselling.

Presured by UBER

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2016

Uber ONLY listens to riders than drivers !! We drivers are just are at their mercy !! They blocked us to drive as and when Uber feels like ,if they get a poor review by a drunk or racist not releasing it's our livelihood and the investment we have put in without listening to us. You may get 100 five stars and get 1 poor review by someone , you are screwed .....I totally regret driving for such a company with NO HEART !!!

• 1 comment
  • 51 helpful votes
Private message

Uber, worst company, nil customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2015

UBER customer service is worst, they hire all people who can get there hands on, made more than 10 complaints, even the owner hide from talking to me, went there to talk to them, the person who email me is not even in the office, most of the emails are answered from Philippines. No phone number, nothing, they just don't care about partners. crook company, should be kick out of Melbourne and from Australia too. They are just hiding when I go there, doesn't even come out to talk, what a coward........

Do Not Use Uber Taxis! Fare Abuse

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2015

My son got ripped off last night by Uber Taxi. Paid $93 from the CBD to CAULFIELD South. Rate was almost double the company's estimate! They don't have a phone number, super-dodgy! You are promised access to a broader help section IF YOU REGISTER with them & sign in, which entails providing a bunch of personal information. Can't even PHONE them!

Adelaide

Beware the fare surge

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2018

Booked Uber ride to Airport from very well known Auckland Hotel. Quoted (estimated) $41.79 which was good but ended up paying $92+ on basis of "standard" fare $59+ (where did the $41 come from?) with 1.5 multiplier due to peak demand. Really? At 3.40 am in central downtown Auckland where map showed about 6 Uber cars circling? These guys are shonky in the extreme. Find a taxi and negotiate a set fare. Give Uber the big miss.

Dropped

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2017

An Uber driver accepted my request to go from Centra Station in Sydney to the airport. Arriving in 6 minutes. After about 4 minutes the driver calls me and asks me to change to the opposite side of the road, which I agree to do, even though it’s a longer drive for him. A few more minutes later the driver calls me and says he’s in heavy traffic, he’s about two blocks away. Five more minutes pass and he calls again, tells me there’s no where to stop (I’m standing in a lay by pick up zone),then he tells me he’s gone past me and hangs up. On the map, he’s still not yet reached me so I call him...ah yeah, Uber...you can’t call the driver. A few more minutes pass and I’m dropped and another diver calls me.... seems these guys can drop you and another driver can pick you up.

So I end up hailing a normal cab, now 20 minutes sine the Uber driver picked up my request. Missed my flight by a few minutes after taking 18 minutes to get from Central through security. Lodged a complaint from Sydney airport after paying $277 for a new flight and by the time I land in Melbourne I get an email from Uber telling me it my fault, I should have cancelled the ride.....thanks, that’s a great help. Last time I did that I got charged a cancellation fee.

So there is nothing you can do when things go wrong with Uber. The application is set up so the user always loses no matter what and the time it takes to resolve anything simply see customers walk away from their loss due to the level of frustration built into the complaints process. No doubt Uber will end up loosing their license as has occurred in the UK due to things like this.

Private message

I will never take uber again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 28, 2017

I scheduled a ride to the Melbourne airport from downtown Melbourne on Tuesday for 6:30am on Wednesday. Everything was accepted and I received notice the trip was setup. At 6:30am I received a text saying my trip was cancelled. I had to call a taxi who was prompt, professional and less expensive than Uber. I will stick with the taxis and never use Uber again. They are not dependable.

Private message

How to wait and wait and wait and pay for nothing!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2017

Waited ten minutes at the listed UBER pick up point outside Southern Cross Station. Uber driver called me saying I don't know where you are! He was then cancelled by Uber ten minutes later and the next clown called up saying "where are you? Please walk to me". He was at a location we couldn't see and we don't know Melbourne well at all. Uber then charged me $10 for cancelling more than five minutes after my pickup had been confirmed. Hopped straight in a cab. Fast trip to Alfred Hospital and only cost $5 more than cheapest Uber price. Impossible to find feedback form or phone number on Uber website...VERY DISAPPOINTING!
Third time with Uber might be my last.

Dishonest

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2017

Be very careful. If you use uber from Melbourne airport, you will be forced to take Uber Black and pay 25% more than a regular limousine service. Double a regular taxi.

My uber didn't turn up!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2016

I ordered my uber for Christmas break up cruise tonight. I watched it arrive on my phone until it was about 3 min away and then it dropped off the screen. When I looked into it, it said cancelled. We have missed our function. This was our first experience with ubet. Never again.

hillside

excess of confidence.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2016

today i came home in an uber from my bf house, the driver questioned my life the whole way to my home. sayings things as "why you are with him?" you should give me your number" .
my boyfriend pay for someone to take me to home safe not to someone to flirt with his own girlfriend. this shouldn't be happening at all. im so shocked and scared about using uber again so no more of this taxi app.

First And Last Time I Will Use Uber - Ruthless Unethical Company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2016

Myself & 2 others used UBER for the first time last night. We got slugged $184 for a taxi trip which would have cost approximately $80..Never never ever ever again...UBER are terrible...DON'T USE UBER...get a taxi, they are much cheaper and are reputable....

Not worth it

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2016

I tried driving for uber for a week to see if it was worth it. I drove totalling about 25 hrs. After taking out all expense i ended with around $17 an hour net in my pocket. Not worth it considering the toll on your car.
Ubers 25% cut is too much.

sydney

• 2 comments
  • 16 helpful votes
Private message

Selling your "worth self" real cheap

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2016

Driving for UBER is the worst decision you've made.
You are "expendable" without any prior notice.
Your loyalty equals to crap.
You subject yourself, health and vehicle to extra danger, for being on the road for all that many hours. You do not get paid any superannuation /holiday pay or any benefits whatsoever.
You must and have to put up with all the client's "demands"
if they want to have full blast music, you must comply. Even if this is against the OSH/WHS. If this over rides your senses to hear a pedestrian who is crossing where they shouldn't be while glued to theirs mobiles it is always your fault. If they want to eat or booze you must let them and the next client will complain that your car was filthy 1 star. You must stop at a "NO STOPPING" and double park, make illegal you turns for their convenience. If they don't get it their way you get 1 star rating, bad attitude plus dangerous driving complaints or worst. UBER pushes you to drive up a 20 minutes journey just to pick up. You can be in the city and you get a job from crows nest and if you refuse you get suspended. If you take a fare across the harbour you pay the return toll not the client. If the client cancels under 5 minutes. Your pick up journey is a total waste. Which happens a lot. UBER always give you a job which you have gone pass or are traveling the opposite direction what a great technology and you have to go around the world to get back at the pick up point only to get rated 1 star for being late.
You do not and never get paid for driving to pick up. Which is often longer than the trip itself. So you are working two jobs for every trip and get paid only for one. Finally some good news congratulations you have reach the 5,000 milestone you have earned a bonus. Oops your star ratings need to be 4.7 to claim this better luck next time and above all if a client complaints on you for not having their way.. EVEN WHEN NOT YOUR "FAULT" and you chose to do the right thing over the client's demand. You are suspended "on the spot" without any warning. It could take up to weeks to rectify the issue and you never get any compensation. You will be in a "BAD SPACE" during this period and no one will care. You will be in a dark hole all alone and don't expect any support from UBER support group. Then you are made to pay a $70 dollar fee for training to become an obedient dog to the clients, or else you loose your UBER platform.
There is no thank you, appreciation. Whatsoever from anybody for you here.
all you get is constant threats from UBER.
Please don't fall that low. Respect yourself. Live and work with dignity.
Don't let UBER exploit your desperate situation and don't expect a dollar in tips from your clients.
It will always be UBER first, clients second YOU and your SERVICES don't exist.
You will always be a nobody.
All the best, be your own friend.

Not worth it

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2016

For the money you earn for the time you driver it's not worth your while. 25% commission to uber plus petrol, maintenance cleaning wear and tear on your car higher rego and insurance plus tax and gst for all drivers no matter how much or how little you work. And uber expects you to get every trip a 5 star but it's very subjective rating from the riders and very easy to get less than 5 stars which means deactivation of your acount

Private message

Good for bargain hunters bad for drivers

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2016

Of course good for free riders bad for drivers i stop driving Uber tonight definitely not worth it at all its a government proved scam how come Australia can let them make millions of dollars while Uber using desperate people like us
i check my pay out table today i drove 9 hours i make only $220 hardly specially fussy customers tale you end of the world thiny narrow places with your brand new car they don't care you end up with their dirty $13 noway i better stay at home no more slave for cheap bargain hunters mate let them walk sorry taxi drivers they really worth what they charge now i understand.

• 1 comment
  • 8 answers
  • 31 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Less than minimum wage on Gold Coast

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2016

I decided to drive for Uber as I am in between jobs. Uber pays 20% less on the Gold Coast than anywhere else in Australia. Just finished working 4 hrs averaging $17/hr less petrol/vehicle maintenance. It is not worth the effort. Uber doesn't care about their drivers, they ignore my emails.

Do not drive uber

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2016

My rate was 4.30 and without any notice they deactivate me. And they ask me for training $75 bucks. This rating system is crap. Now uber cut 25% do nothing if you have accident or big issue who gonna look after you. If you calculate everything you will get less then $15 per hour.

Never be a uber driver

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2016

I applied uber driver on April and then went overseas for holiday. When I came back the application still in progress. I went to Uber Sydney office and they told me I have to apply driver authority card first. I applied it through Uber but took me 2 months for approval. The reason is they forgot to upload one document. I only drove less than one month. Yesterday they deactivated my account saying my rates is below 4.5. I calculated my rates and found one guy gave me one star . I suppos it is the guy who asked me to park on a no stopping area on a main road in Sydney but I refused to do so. Some passengers gave the driver rating with no reason . It only depends on their thought. This is unfair: when the driver have one star to passengers, they know it is you gave. But drivers never know who gave them low rating unless they only service one customer one day. The imcome is also low. Maybe around $15 or less per hour after pay the GST,petrol. Less than delivery driver at a pizza shop. Uber asked me to attend a ride share rating course which may cost about $70. But with no guarantee to reactive the account. I don't want to waste money . Never see you again Uber.

1 of 32 pages

Can I pay cash to the driver in Melbourne Australia?

Blossoms asked on Oct 31, 2018

Answer this

I am not aware of any way to pay the driver cash if you use the App to order a ride. However if you arranged for him to pick you up without using the App (call him/her privately) you could probably get him/her to quote you for the trip and pay him cash. They are not supposed to do it but many do. I am not sure of the insurance arrangements in these cases.

As far as I know (and the procedure I followed) was to book the uber through the app upon which you include your bank details. Once your journey is completed uber bills you through your bank account and this is how they collect the money.
The downside to this is, for my ride the driver did not arrive for over 20 minutes and I was charged a 10AUD cancellation fee which I have disapproved.
Further I had to cancel my bank card and have a new card issued by my bank to prevent any further deductions from my bank account by uber.
Giving bank details to unknown parties are tricky and something I choose to avoid.
Uber is not any cheaper than taking a silver cab or a 13cab (some drivers do not know their way around Melbourne - watch out that your fair is not increased due to this)
Uber hires any person who wishes to drive for them, they lack professionalism and I would not use the uber service in the future
Hope this helps :)

Thank you for the information. I too dont like giving my credit card details. Sometimes I have missed important apointments dueto the delay òf the taxi more than 45 mins

Has anyone found a phone number that you can call to speak to a human being if you have an issue you can't fix through the App? The 1300 number on the site, even though it says 24/7 rider support turns out to be only support for the drivers.

Peter asked on Oct 24, 2018

Answer this

Read both your review and this question.

My family and friends have been using Uber extensively for nearly 3 years and have never been able to find any reference to Rider phone support. Please provide the relevant Rider web link you mentioned.

Research of their website only mentions Driver phone support.
(..Got questions about driving with Uber?
Driving with Uber...
5 Ways to Contact Uber for Help
Whether you’re on the road or taking the day off, drivers can contact Uber for support whenever they need to — 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...
4. Phone support..)

Drivers main feedback is about riders who forget phone, sunglasses etc. Typically Drivers get abused, threatened, assaulted and receive no monetary compensation. I guess it is not surprising then that some items are tossed out (or taken by a subsequent rider).

Also not surprising, given hacking etc, that Uber refuse to help when a rider can’t provide correct account details.

Anyway there are a number of additional documented ways to contact Uber and specifically include lost items.

A friend forgot their phone in a taxi. Rang the taxi company and provided all the trip details etc. If you guessed the phone was returned you guessed wrong. New Phone=$1100.

If you do locate an Uber contact number, find a ‘phone contactable company’ or get your phone back please share here. Thanks.

I happened to be a passenger in a car and I spotted a very large building with an UBER sign on it. I went in and the staff there were very helpful. It was a Driver centre where they processed applications for new drivers. I explained my problem to the young man at the counter who said one of the support staff could help me. After about 15 minutes a young lady listened to my story again, took identification, found the driver and called him. He had the phone. He subsequently dropped it into the Driver Centre where I will pick it up today. Happy (if very lucky) ending. Write down your user name and password as if you get them wrong you haven;'t got a chance.

More interesting is that the driver still had it.

In this instance you solved the issue by visiting their office which contradicts with your ‘no chance’ comment above !?

I assume you were mistaken about the Rider contact number.

Did you give a ‘Lost Item Return Fee’, for YOUR inconvenience to the driver, as listed in the Help section of the app?
Hint - your phone is worth more than $20 :)

How do u get an Uber for 2 people?

Michelle J asked on Aug 09, 2018

Answer this

I am assuming that you mean one car and two passengers. If so it is like getting a taxi (one car+2 passengers) except you book via the Uber app.

Yep 1 Uber car for 2 ppl. Only $5 cheaper than a taxi and poor service