The Valco Runabout Tri Mode has been replaced by the newer Valco Baby Trimode X model.

Amazing all rounded pram

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2016

This pram is really fantastic. It's light weight and has great handling. Wheels pop off for space saving transport and lots of storage compartments. I bought it second hand from a lady who had only owned it new for a year and a half. She had no use for it as she didn't do regular jogs anymore and used trollies when shopping. It was practically brand new. The options you can have with this pram are endless. You can attach car capsule and have the option of 3 different kinds across 3 different brands, bassinette attachment for rear facing and second toddler seat for the option of having 2 bubs. It has a safety harness which is great for keeping baby safe at all times of the jogg and wheels can be upgraded to sport kit if you do intense jogs off road. But the wheels it already has have a lot of shock absorbtion when I jog which suited me well. I take it through the shopping mall as it's not that much bulkier than the other prams designed for shopping use. Love love love this pram

Heavy & wide! Doesn't fit in boot :(

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2014

It's nice to walk with but it's pretty hard to get it in the boot as it's so heavy & not the easiest thing to collapse down. Only just fits in my Holden cruise boot with basinet. The wheels are so massive I'm always crashing into things (especially in small shops). I'm looking to change prams already (8weeks in). :(

Not enough space to get baby bag in storage compartment.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2014

I love how light the pram is and the extra big hood is great for sunny days, baby is fully protected from sun. The storage compartment underneath is nice and big but it is almost impossible to fit a bag between the metal bar at the top of the storage area and the bottom of the seat of the pram so I end up having to carry the bag. The storage compartment is actually useless unless you have a tiny handbag. I actually regret paying so much for this pram.

+ Lightweight, good big shade cover.

- Cannot fit bag underneath!!

Purchased at: Pram Warehouse

2008 Valco Runabout trimode

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2013

My husband actually picked out this stroller because he said it didn't look so baby-ish. We have the champagne and black fabric. Very comfortable ride for my son, very easy to maneuver for me! Great handle bar height adjustments. Lots of available accessories.
We used the bassinet for months. That saved us from buying a regular bassinet or cradle for home. Was able to keep my son asleep while snapping the bassinet on/off and getting some fresh air.

Car seat attachment was super easy to use, although I did not like having to remove it to get the most compact fold.
With the toddler seat attached, the stroller does tend to feel a bit top heavy. I found that ensuring I was in the 45 degree front tire mode, it did really make a difference. (Yeah, we read the instructions about doing that in the first place, but who wants to lose maneuverability, right?!? Trust me...do the 45 degrees...world of difference!)

Oh and the canopy for the toddler seat is big, but does the trick and gives the kiddo a place to rest their head if they fall asleep. We did find that 2 kids about the same size at ages 3 and 4 didn't do all that well with the toddler seat attached. 1. the kid in the main seat can't kick his legs around like he wants without bumping the behind of the kid in the toddler seat. 2. the kid in the main seat can easily reach the kid in front and pester the daylights out of him. 3.

the kid in the toddler seat can kick/step on the feet of the kid in the main seat when he becomes annoying. 4. kid in main seat gets annoyed when they can't see what the kid in the toddler seat can...1 kid has an amazing view...the other gets minimal. These things are probably not an issue if the 2 kids are different ages/sizes.

We didn't really have a use for the single lap bar thing that comes with the stroller, so opted for the snack tray. Snack tray is like any other snack tray really. The little snack/cup bin pops out for easy cleaning or in our case, with that popped out, it was the perfect size for my son's toddler cup...no tipping and no losing it! Wish list item...would be awesome if the snack tray swiveled out of the way so that my son could get in and out of the stroller easier.

Breaking is super simple as is the recline. Love all of the storage and can pack tons of stuff in the basket, the back zipper pouch and the 2 side pouches. Easy access via zipper to basket storage when in recline, although it is a bit of a blind search.
This stroller folds down quite small and I was able to fit it in spaces in my car where a regular travel system type stroller was not able to squeeze into. This was thanks to the removable wheels.

Friends were absolutely amazed at how compact the fold and how easy it was to pop the tires on and off. To give an example, I was able to fit my tri-mode and a graco travel system type stroller in the rear of my hatchback Ford Focus and still had room for the diaper bags and accessories. The regular stroller was larger (longer) than the tri mode. It is a bit heavy overall, but not any more than other joggers I have tried. I do wish the locking mechanism when folded would be integrated onto the frame (like a locking hook bracket or something) rather than a strap that has a hook that goes around points on the frame. It's easy enough to use and all, but being able to flip the lock with one hand would be better.

The canopy is definitely adequate with the additional fold out, however we added an additional sun shade that will cover head to toe (not the valco zip on sun shade). The canopy is super sturdy too. Ours acts as additional storage when we are places where we need a map and don't want it blowing away..fold the canopy back one click and tuck the map in. Fold out the canopy and it's like a snack tray for parents.
The stance on this stroller is a bit wide like most joggers/all terrain strollers, so it took some getting used to after using standard and umbrella strollers.

One of the things I really do not like about our stroller is that you need some pretty serious finger strength to change out the accessories. It's not super easy like the tires.
We use the Tri Mode all of the time. It has become our daily use stroller. It is sturdy and is lasting through a lot of wear and tear.
I'll admit at first, I was a bit overwhelmed by the wide stance, all of the adjustable parts, the fold (I mean, where was my one handed, slide the lock with your finger while you squeeze and magically a stroller appeared/disappeared?!?).

The real aha! moment was when my sister in law and I had to park in the dirt for an event and hoof our way several blocks over varying terrain. Although she was able to do the one handed *poof* insta-stroller, I was able to actually tread through the sand, dirt, over the gravel and rocks and through the water. Oh yeah, that was with her son on my hip since she was carrying her stroller!

+ Super easy maneuvering, comfortable, fold is pretty compact when wheels are removed (and that is super easy)

- Leg room for tall 2nd child in primary seat with toddler attachment is scarce. Takes some finger strength to press the release tabs for the accessories.

Perth

• 16 helpful votes

Some Positives & Some Drawbacks

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 19, 2013

We purchased the valco trimode runabout as a secondary pram to our lightweight combi. I only use the valco when i'm going walking on uneven ground like the gravel walking track near our home or when we're taking bub places like the park or other rough outdoor surfaces as the pram is massively heavy in comparison to our primary pram and i personally find it so difficult to collapse and reassemble (though hubby and my niece have had no trouble when they've done it so it may just be me who struggles with this).

As a result of my trouble collapsing the pram we leave it assembled at home which isn't great for space but to be honest the valco is so bulky even when it's collapsed that its not too much of a difference.

Be warned though if you have a small vehicle this is not the pram for you, i drive a commodore (huge boot space) and hubby drives a holden station wagon and when we go on picnics either car will virtually be at full capacity with the valco, baby's nappy bag, a picnic basket and blanket in the back of them.

Also be aware this pram is no good for shopping centres, it's rear wheels are too wide for a supermarket checkout and it can't be taken into small stores (i learnt this the hard way when hubby took our other pram to work in his car accidentally!)

The positives though -- once it's up it is very easy to push and maneuver despite the weight / size and is brilliant at navigating all sorts of rough outdoor surfaces and going up/down curbs. The trimode also came with the rain cover and a uv mosquito net as standard which was really convenient and the netting zips on easily and is perfect for the warm perth summer weather (and to keep flies etc off the baby while i'm walking).

The handle is adjustable height which means this works well for my hubby also unlike our every day pram which has a single height handle and doesn't quite work for him height-wise. I also love the zip up case on the rear of the pram directly below the handle, it's plenty big enough for my mobile, purse, house keys and a bottle of water when we're going for a walk.

All up i'm very happy with the valco and it works really well as a secondary pram when we need it but i wouldn't recommend it as a primary or only pram as it definitely has a few issues i wouldn't want to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

+ Great on bumpy ground, adjustable handle, zip on UV mosquito net, storage pouch under handle

- Heavy, difficult for me to collapse, bulky to store, small basket doesn't fit my nappy bag

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Newcastle

Private message

Very very happy with the pram

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 25, 2013

Our Tri mode was bought in 2006 as a brand new pram. We have never ever had any problems with wheels, steering or fabric. My child was using the pram till she turned almost 6 as she really loved it. Now we are expecting our second child and found out that we can use travel adaptors to fit other manufacturers' infant carriers. 7 year old pram looks as new and survived every year overseas trips, parks, camping arears and walks. It is a bit heavy if you have to put it in the car but as we dont use it for everyday shopping trips (there is a Valco Baby Umbrella Stroller for this purpose in the boot of our car) then you can find the pram very durable, steady and perfect for excercising with your child. And Valco Baby Customer Service is just great - friendly, helpful and very informative people! Highly recommended!

+ Greet and durable, perfect wheels, sun net and rain covers, with the travel adaptor can fit many other manufacturer's infant carriers, very good fabric and comes in different colours

Australind

• 2 answers

Horrible pram

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2012

We bought this pram quite simply because of the name Valco, we assumed that you get what you pay for. This is not the case with prams, it would have to be the heaviest pram in existence. It takes up the best part of a station wagon's boot. To close the thing is a two handed adventure too. We found a fantastic 4 wheel pram for half the price that weighs nothing, you can fold with one hand and has the reversible capsule too. Do your homework first !

+ Looks nice

- Everything else

It's OK.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2012

I bought this pram second hand, with all the extra's. The lady before me didn't have the pram all that long but once I had it within a month the hood had bent so that it no longer stayed down correctly by it's self (without the sun shade zipped to it). The wheels became sticky and difficult when using the pram which I did around dirt roads and paved areas. I also find I can't handle the pram with one hand, which is usefully when you need your other hand and also it is extremely bulky. The Pro's is it has it's boot cover which I love as I see a lot of prams without this and the basket is quiet large. Aside for those things it's OK.

+ Boot cover, brakes work well, lots of basket space

- hard to move, bulky when folded down, pulls when walking on tilted footpaths

Don't hate it, don't love it

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2012

I've had an '07 Trimode (bought it secondhand in very good condition) for a year now & I've never loved it. I had a single BOB before that I sold for the Trimode because we were expecting #2 & I loved the idea of the toddler seat. Well now #2 is 6 months old & my oldest is 2y8m (30lbs) & pushing the two of them is quite the workout. If the sidewalk dips at all it takes all my strength to keep the thing going straight. I prefer to have my toddler walk & just use the stroller as a single.
Also the thing is freaking huge when it folds down & takes up the entire back of our van. When we had a sedan I would curse up a storm getting the thing in the back, it barely fit (my BOB always slid right in no problem).
I've now sold the Valco & bought myself another single BOB. I am IN LOVE with the BOB. The two strollers are incomparable. I can push my toddler in it with one hand with ease. I won't miss my Valco, not one bit!

+ Looks nice, big storage basket, adjustable handle

- Heavy, difficult to steer with the toddler seat attached, huge when collapsed

Valco Trimode 3 wheeler with toddler seat

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2012

Pruchased the pram when we were expecting our second child. Liked the look of it and steering. Once baby arrived we found it a challenging pram for a newborn when the toddler seat was attached. Was difficult to get baby from the pram if toddler was in the seat. Lots of attachements available, however with a capsule none of these are compatible. Was disappointed with the pram as alot of the options presented wernt suitable for 2 children.

The extendable hood was brilliant for the single mode but didnt reach over the toddler seat and created a bit of annoyance for our toddler. A hood needs to be purchased for the toddler.

+ Options for accessories, 3 wheels made it easy to steer. Large extendable hood.

- Accessories wernt second child friendly, toddler seat didnt offer a great seal of comfort.

Gold Coast

• 1 question
  • 16 helpful votes
Private message

Sturdy, great to manouver, comfortable for baby, fits a capsule

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2012

I've had a few prams and strollers but the Valco has been my favourite by far. It is so easy to push around, gets through aisles and doorways fine (although the Valco everest is even narrower), stores tons of stuff underneath and best of all, baby is happy in it! It does fold up rather large, and is rather heavy to lift, but I had a station wagon so it never mattered to me. BUT You can pop the front wheel off if you need to to put it in the car. One of the best features was that my SnS capsule fit snugly in the pram and I could just pop bubs in facing me in the capsule and he could stay asleep from the car to the shops.
One of the drawbacks is the sunshade hood could be larger/curve down more like with some other prams but a bunny rug draped over fixes that.

+ Inexpensive, easy to manouver, large basket, fit capsule

- Large fold, sunshade could be better

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

the best pram you'll ever had!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2012

Fantastic.
Easiest pram to steer, a dream to push.
Parent handle is adjustable great for mums and dads tall or small.
The basket is a great size fits our back packs in it.
The sunshade is brilliant. Zips in. So easy.
We use this pram for everything and love it.
The accessories are quite cheap and there's lots to choose from.

+ Sunshade and steering, so easy.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Awesome Stroller

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 03, 2012

I purchased the single Trimode in 2009 for running. I found myself ditching all of my other strollers and using the trimode everywhere, even small stores. Once I had my second son, I added the toddler seat. Yes, with the toddler seat it is harder to push (my son is 35 pounds and the other 20 lbs), but comparing it to my other two seated stollers, it is a hundred percent better. I believe the trick is to make sure you lubricate your wheels correctly and check the tire pressure. I use it at the LA Zoo(which is in a mountain-all uphill) all of the time. During Christmas vacation, I easily snapped off the wheels which made the fold perfect for packing our car with luggage, christmas gifts, babies, and dog. Compare this fold to my hubbies City Elite and I can barely lift the Elite and the Elite takes up so much space in my car. The trimode is a sinch and takes up less space. The only con is that the Joey Jump seat does not recline at all. On longer Jogs, my oldest falls asleep so I have to stop. So, I did research on a double twin stroller. Everyone said buy the BOB, but to my surprise, my oldest son who is barely 3, doesn't fit in the BOB. It is so short and the basket space is scarce. So we are getting the twin trimode. I hope it lives up to the single.

+ Customer Service. Great for bigger babies. Flexibility to add more seats. Storage space. Quick release tires.

Goongerah, Victoria.

• 7 answers
  • 12 helpful votes

I love it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2012

I bought this pram brand new at a discounted price and haven't looked back. It is light and easy to pack away and also to set up. My particular pram has solid wheels that with a push of a button come off the pram to make it more compact if needed. (I specifically wanted solid tyre's so as not to have to deal with flat tyre's). It is sturdy and great for walking with. It is dark blue, always looks clean and if needed the whole lot can be easily removed for cleaning. The under-basket is roomy and has 2 pockets either side. It has a head hugger for newborns, a footmuff/sleeping bag that really is very useful in keeping bub/toddler snug all year round, a silver reflective mesh/sunshade that zips to the hood and a well fitted storm cover. Overall it is easy to use, looks nice and I imagine is very comfortable.

+ Solid tyre's, easy set-up & fold-up, enjoyable to use.

MELBOURNE, Victoria

• 10 helpful votes

Great walking Pram

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2012

I love my Valco Tri Mode, I have had them for about 5 years now, they are effortless in walking on all terrains, they are very stable, I found walking a breeze even with the toddler seat attached,easy to remove and wash the the cover and the Bassinet attachment was fantastic.

+ Easy to push, fold and feels safe and stable for a 3 wheeler

- To wide for supermarket isles

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Very bad when adding the toddler seat!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 01, 2012

I purchased this pram in 2008 as it gave the option to add a toddler seat later. I only used the pram for walking outdoors and had a separate stroller for shopping etc as it was too big for the boot of my car.

The fabric on these prams are of poor quality there is fraying at the back of the pram where it holds the back support and also the top just near the hood area. I have taken it to a few sewing experts who say you will loose a few centimeters off the areas and judging from the fabric it will fray in other areas. Of course it happened as soon as it was out of warranty!

This pram is awful with the toddler seat. My 3month sits in the pram weighing 7 kilos and my 3 year old weighs 13 kilos and the pram is so hard to handle. The front of the pram cannot cope with the weight and won't allow you to push it up a path, you have to physically pick it up and lift is over otherwise if you try to push it your pram will tilt over!!!
To top it off the wheels wobble.

Considering the pram wasn't used often the fabric quality is poor so reconsider this you choose to purchase with the intent to add a toddler seat. Not to mention the difficulty with control and potential danger when using it as it tips.

+ The first impression

- Poor fabric, poor design with toddler seat - potentially dangerous

Purchased at: Baby Kingdom

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2012

We have this as our 'second all terrain pram' as well as the Emmaljunga Cerox 360. My husband doesn't know why i spent the money on the Emmaljunga, and i can sort of see why, this pram has been excellent for us and never skipped a beat. I use it to walk and jog my toddler in it and it handles the weight excellent.

+ So light and easy to push, compact and easy to fold, easy push to remove tyres in a second, great parent pocket at back which detaches and big underbasket easily accessed from the back. I love the 3 options for the front wheel to swivel 360', 90' or locked (great for jogging)too.

- The tyres do tend to deflate easily if used on rough terrain a lot and it isn't easy to clean the pram lining.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2012

If you are an active person or someone who will use the pram on all sorts of terrain, this is the pram for you. It secures the child in safe and securely, is easy to maneuverer over gutters, footpaths and parkland and is basically unbreakable.

+ I really love this pram. As an active person who's constantly on the move I wanted something that was durable, comfortable and easy to maneuverer. You are able to purchase a travel system that connects a Safe n Sound Unity capsule securely into the pram at a very reasonable price. It's light weight and very secure for little ones.

- There are only 2 things I really didn't like about the pram. 1. The size of the pram when folded down, and 2. the width could sometimes be inhibiting in certain shops.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Cobden, vic

• 25 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2011

I didnt mind this pram, was great looking easy to steer, but the handle ripped easily which is a pet hate of mine, its a little bit wide I think there is some better options for 3 wheelers.

+ easy to steer, great sun coverage, looks great, great accessories, easy fold.

- a bit wide, foam on handle easily broken & ripped.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2011

Im looking for another pram. I would like a smaller one and one that my son can see me. I end up carrying him everwhere because he cant see me. Its huge and no good when traveling qantas wont let fly with it.

+ Its great to steer. Even with one hand while the other is holding the baby. Valco is a great company to buy from easy to get in contact with for spare parts.

- Packs up HUGE. Dosent have a reverse handle. So I cant use it because my son wants to see me. DOSENT HIT THROUGH CHECKOUTS. You'll have to go through disabled checkout. painful

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes