The Vax VARU1200 has been replaced by the newer Vax Air VAU1200 model.

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

I can see why it’s discontinued

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2017

It was a great vacuum when we first bought it, you could really feel the suction when in use. Now, after not even one year, all that suction is gone. Don’t know what has happened. It doesn’t feel like it’s even cleaning the carpet anymore. I used it then borrowed someone else’s and the amount that was still sucked up after made me sick. Wouldn’t recommend the brand for this reason

• 4 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Very good all round vacuum

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2017

Cons -
Not as strong suction on tiled floors (personal opinion) as a Dyson
The extendable hose is a little cumbersome to attach and use.

Pros -
Extremely light weight
The whole unit basically is see through so you can see all the dirt and any items lost, anything blocking pipes etc
Seems to be excellent suction on carpets using the rotator brush (which can be turned on or off)
Multi cyclonic which is latest technology
Can lay almost flat to floor and still have suction which the Dyson can not do, so good for under beds, lounges etc
very easy to manouver

Overall - i bought this for $199 and comparable item in Dyson (multi cyclonic) $599.
Am i happy for $199? yes. Happy probably at $299 too but over this price point i just dont know. Suction is pretty high on the agenda and i would look again at a Dyson if the price was similar.

Adelaide

• 5 comments
  • 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Needed an upright cheaper Vac !

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2017

I needed a cheap between vac as i normally use Dysons and this was on sale at Harris Scarfe for $99. It works well and cleans the floors ( carpet and Lino ) so far very well . I am not impressed with how loud it is , as all my others were a bit quieter than this one ,so beware !! I have had it for about 2 months now and do all the cleans it requires to keep it going (filters) so hope its going to last for a while . Having 2 very large Hounds its used frequently so this will be a good test but so far so good . I dont use the hose as we also have hand held Dysons , so cant comment on this . Great to whizz around with and light , easy to use but would love a longer cord !! Foot operation for on, off and tilt . It does seem flimsy and plastic but does the job !

Gold Coast

• 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Great Vac cleaner, lots of suction, easy to use

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 18, 2017

Purchased this from Harvey Norman last month and have been using it for the last few weeks, I wanted to back to an upright as it is easier on my back, and Harvey Norman said they sell a lot of these vacs to nursing homes. I took out the 3 year warranty which only cost another $25, so has a 5 year warranty on it. Easy to use and empty, the extension hose to use along skirting boards is a bit hard to pull out and is too short, but still a good feature. Suction can be very difficult on shag pile rugs and carpet. Cleans along close to skirting boards even for an upright. Great price at $194. Good on carpet and also on my tiles. All in all it is great!

Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Perfect!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2017

Amazing performance, so easy to move from wood floors to carpet and back by just pressing a button to turn on the rotating head. So easy to move around the house and use on stairs! Have had it about a year and still working as well as when first bought it.

Date Purchased: Sep 2015

This Vacuum sucks...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2017

... and not in a good way. I'm spewing I didn't register for the 3 year warranty or keep my receipt. Guess that serves me right, but I thought it would be ok with all the positive reviews.
It worked fine at the start & gradually got worse and worse.
I'll start by stating that we clean the filter out weekly. Our vax is only 2 years old. Since my 10 year old Dyson carked it, I have been on the search for something at least as good, but was put off buying a new Dyson with their negative reviews. I first bought a Mile upright but it was way too big & heavy for me, then I bought this vax...
I wasn't super impressed with it at the start, it was quite hard to push on our thick high pile carpet, but was ok on the hard floors. The extension hose bunches up from the suction when using the turbine head, making it hard to extend.
Over the last 6 months my husband has been doing most of the cleaning and kept telling me how horrible it had become. I vacced today and saw first hand what he meant, it was struggling to pick up crumbs, not even stuck on crumbs, loose crumbs that I could move with my foot.
Then I moved on to the couch, I had the extension hose & turbine head on, and the hose wasn't bunching up at all. Hardly any suction. Then it turned off and now it won't start. I'm hoping it's just overheated, but on the other hand if it's blown up I'm thinking at least I can buy a new vacuum & not have to struggle with this horrible vax any more.

Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Love my new Vax vacuum

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2017

I have hard vinyl floors in the living areas and carpet in the bedrooms. This vacuum is great on both and does a great job. My only issue is the extension hose for the hand nozzle needs to be longer so I am going to purchase the optional extension which will make the cleaning easier.

Camberwell

• 20 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Inexpensive and good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2017

I think Vax VARU1200 is no longer available. It is a good cleaner. We bought it in urgency as our last vacuum broke on a weekend and we had guests visiting that day. There was a sale at Harris Scarfe and I think we got it for half the price. This vacuum has strong suction power but misses a suction adjuster. This is a problem because it almost sucks the carpet in. Another design flaw is that you need to wind the cord on the hooks it has at the back. A self-winding cord would have made it much easier to wind the 10 meter cord. The long cord is a plus though. Vacuum clear is quite heavy and slightly noisy. Cleaning the container is very easy though.
If you are looking for a cheap yet effective vacuum cleaner, then Vax vacuums are recommended. For the price, I would buy this one again.

• 4 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

good when it worked

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 05, 2017

the vacuum worked well until the brushes stopped working I tried the reset button as instructions,but it has no lights. the vacuum part works still, I tried to email support but no answer so will be returning it to the shop for a refund I hope. I have only had it 8 months.

Purchased at: Harris Scarfe

Comments

update had to take it to an approved repairer did that on the 6th it is now the 19th and not one word from anyone customer service is a 0 communication 0 just want what I paid for were is my vacuum????

well I still haven't got my vacuum back from repairer I have rang them several times but they say they are waiting on a part, so emailed customer service 4 days ago to find out about the part surprise no answer.

well another update today is 16.5.17 repairer still waiting on part several emails later shock no answer never been treated so bad buy a company EVER.

Adelaide

• 4 helpful votes

Powerful and lightweight

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2017

Great suction, lightweight so easy to manoeuvre, does a great job. Can select to turn rotating brush off for different floor surfaces, easy to empty and comes with 3 years Warranty.

• 2 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Great for vacuuming pet hair!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 18, 2017

This was a great buy for my son, who owns a large dog that sheds lots of hair and his house has dark grey carpets! It cleans the hair off the carpet easily.
It is light weight and easily manoeuvred around furniture
Great for both tiled and carpeted floors as has a function for both of those.
The handle height is fully adjustable. Emptying the barrel is easy and with a press of a button the contents are emptied so no handling of dirty bags etc.
I did have difficulty finding this vacuum to purchase, as it was out of stock online from Harris Scarf, and at other stores it was $200 more expensive! After a phonecall to Harris Scarf they posted one to me straight away and at a cost of $199 it has been the Best Buy.
I would definitely recommend. I've never owned a Dyson vacuum cleaner but when this vacuum does such a great job at less than half the price I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Best vacuum I've ever owned

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2017

Light with great manoeuvrability, particularly for going underneath furniture. Does brilliantly removing cat hair from carpet, and easy to move from one place to another - I can easily lift it with one hand! Very simple to empty, despite having 3 stage filtration. Only minus points are on hard surfaces it can blow light debris back onto your feet, and the pole to the handle feels a bit flimsy, even though it's actually not.

Australia

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Best vacuum we have owned.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2017

We needed a vacuum that would suck up 100% cat hair as we had a new granddaughter crawling on our carpeted floor. I researched vacuums here and on Choice and this one came up as affordable and 100% cleaning for pet hair. We have had it about 4 months and it is fantastic! I empty the canister after each vacuum and am amazed at how much it picks up. I don't find the suction too much or too hard to manoeuvre. You can easily flick off power brush when you are on hard floors to stop bits flying around. its not overly noisy and it is fantastically lightweight. I love it! (NB Harvey Norman did not have model out on display. I had to ask for it. I wondered whether that was because they had arrangements to display other more expensive brands. So ask for it if they don't have it out)

Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Replacement for Dyson upright

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2017

We Recently purchase our Vax upright. It is the lightest upright vacuum we could find. It is much cheaper than most other upright machines.It is much quieter than our Dyson upright which sounded like a jet!It is very easy to manoeuvre and store. The suction is also excellent and the machine is easy to empty.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Jan 2017

New vax

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2017

Hi just purchased the vax varu1200,, i couldnt believe how much dirt and dog hair came out of our carpet, we thought we were pretty clean lol,, downside is im 64 yrs , have back and shoulder problems, it is really hard for me to push , on both cycles, up side is hubby can handle it a bit better , so i gave it to him , really strong suction ,

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 14 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Attachment that reduces suction

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2017

There is a Youtube video that shows an attachment you can get, that reduces the suction. The attachment has a hole in it to let air escape, reducing the suction. I read a lot of UK reviews where people complained about the too-strong suction making it difficult to vac. I don't know where to buy the attachment. Maybe try Vax.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 13 helpful votes

Super sucker!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2017

This vacuum is so good, it's too good. Suction is to the extreme and you can't adjust it. It is impossible to vacuum on lino as a result! Despite it being only 10kg, it's really difficult to push around on carpet as well. In fact, it's the best workout I've had in a long time. I purchased it because I thought it would be easy for my 70yo mum to push around (you know, the 10kg thing), but I've been left with having to do the vacuum now because it's too sucky for her to move! Called VAX customer service to see if there was a way to reduce suction and the lady told me it's the first time she's had someone complain about a vacuum that sucks too hard!! So if you have the endurance, go for this model. It's pulled an unbelievable amount of dirt and debris from our carpets after only 3 vacuums.

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Brilliant vacuum cleaner!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 01, 2017

I bought this vacuum for $200 from Harris Scarfe (reduced from $600). I havent had it for long so I cant speak for how it will last but what I can say is that I am really impressed (I must be because this is the only time I have ever bothered writing a review). I have a cat and cant believe how much hair this vacuum picks up. The suction is so strong you feel like youre stuck to the carpet. It is equally as good on hardwood floors and the tiles in my bathroom. It is easy to use and has a massive cord so I can do my whole 2 bedroom apartment in one go. The additional tools are easy to put on and easy to use. It also has a stretch cord so you can do stairs without carting it up and down. It is easy to empty and clean.

I bought this machine based on the reviews and wanted to help other people who were looking. BUY THIS MACHINE. It is definitely value for money and I couldnt recommend it highly enough.

Brisbane

• 3 comments
  • 7 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Vax 1.5L Air Reach Upright Vacuum Cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 22, 2016

Our household prefers to use an upright vacuum cleaner and we decided to purchase a new one.
On the strength of the comments in Product Review we purchased a Vax Air Reach Machine.
We have had the machine for 3 months and my wife is delighted with the results. I have also used it on occasions and it’s the lightest upright machine we have ever owned so it’s easy to use.
The head contains a rotating brush for use on carpets and can be switched off for hard floors making it multi purpose.
The Air Reach uses cyclones similar to more expensive models and does not contain a bag resulting in good suction and pickup.
The cable length is the longest of any vacuum we have ever owned so we can reach areas where previously we needed to attach an electrical lead.
The attachments are also very good and easy to use.
If I have to be critical it would be the head is not adjustable, however this does not detract from its efficiency and nothing to be concerned about.
I thank the people who submitted comments about this vacuum cleaner for pointing me in the right direction.

• 2 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Great vac at a great price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2016

After my Dyson died I was in the market for a good vac but didn't want to spend a fortune
I got this one on sale and absolutely love it. It's great for carpets and hard floors and has great suction :)
You don't need to spend a heap to get a great vac

1 of 2 pages

I have had my Vax Air Upright Vacuum Cleaner VAU1200 for over 2 years and I have never been able to vacuum my plush thick carpet, it sticks to the carpet and hard to push and pull to vacuum. I have tried both settings and it makes no difference. Am I doing something wrong?

kym asked on Aug 06, 2017

Answer this

VAU1200 does not have vacuum adjustment settings and therefore you can't reduce the power to use on thick carpets. We use the smaller roller brushing attachment to vacuum the carpet. That works well.

Why can't the post motor filter be made washable. Why do customers have to buy both the pre (washable ) filter and the post filter in a package when you only need the post filter

Peter asked on Jan 15, 2017

Answer this

I suggest you contact the manufacturer with this question. I am simply a customer.

Is this model still being made? What is the very latest model?

Bunny asked on Feb 11, 2016

Answer this

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's still available. We got it at Harris Scarfe on line. It's the Vax varu1200. I don't know if it's the latest model, the Vax website will have more information on that..

Hi Bunny,
Yes, this model is still definitely available as you will see if you go to the following website:
I personally would not pay $599 for that vac. indeed, not for any vacuum cleaner. Wait for the discounted price, & shop around via the web.
It is good for what I paid, though a few design changes would improve the vacuum even more, but the price would increase too, no doubt.

As for the latest model, I think this model hasn't been out too long. You could ask the salesperson; he/she might know.
My vac was purchased about October 2015, and I believe it was said then, that the model was a very current one, if that helps.
Perhaps, following the above suggestion, and googling the vac, might give you the answer?

Hope the above has been of some help to you! :-)

See all 5 questions about Vax VARU1200