Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Crap steam mop

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2017

The vax 1600 is crap , very poor steam & the more you use it the less it works. . I’ve Only usied it two times on my tile floors - hallway, kitchen and dining room, back to the mop and bucket for me . It’s sad I had a really good steam mop years ago , I was so happy with it - I just Can’t remember the name brand of it.

Bendigo, Victoria

• 6 comments
  • 1 question
  • 7 answers
  • 13 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Not great but does the job OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2017

After using a freebie cheap steam mop, I thought buying a mid range steam mop might be better. Not yet convinced with this one. Even after getting some helpful answers from some fellow reviewers, this mop doesn't seem to clean as well as I had hoped.
The steam seems to be intermittant and I find I have to go over my floor a second time in some places. I was hoping it would be effective on the tile grout, but it isn't. I haven't used the hand held as yet so can't comment on its effectiveness.
Manoeuvering is pretty easy however I find holding in the trigger for long periods can be awkward, possibly as I have small hands.
I find I don't have to refill the water tank more than twice to complete an average size kitchen/family room area plus bathrooms.
The pads are reasonable quality, a good size and wash up well.
Overall, the cleaner does the job but after 5 months of use, I'm still not sure that it was worth what I paid for it.

Purchased at: Target Australia

Braybrook

• 5 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Great on tiles and bathroom

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2017

I purchased the steam mop to clean my tiled floors quickly and cleanly. The mop works very well... dries quickly and leaves no streaks. I have two playful dogs and I like my floors to dry quickly as it's always a home if activity. I also freshen up the rugs and it works a treat.
The tiles in the bathroom come up great too! I don't use chemicals in my home and the steam mop is fabulous to help maintain cleanliness in a non chemical way.
The only tricky bit is holding the handheld for over 15mins as is gets heavy and awkward... other than that, keep the water in and steam away! I've had this product for two weeks and so far so good.

Melbourne

• 3 answers
  • 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Far better than I expected.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2017

Ok, so all the reviews on steam mops are poor and they really made me question the merit in buying one. However, the thought of pushing a mop and bucket over 170m2 of high gloss tiles again was not appealing. So I bit the bullet, forked out $100 at Harris Scarfe and bought a Vax Dual Master.
I love this thing! It is light and so easy to maneuver and cleans the floor fast. If your floors are filthy or have three weeks worth of weet bix on them then you're going to have to do some extra work, but for a general clean it's brilliant.
The microfiber pads are large - larger than the mop head so there are no missed spots, gets right to the edges. They wash up as good as new. Doesn't fit down the side of my toilet unfortunately but that's my issue not the mop.
I was worried about too much water causing streaks or water marks on my tiles, but there are none. I have high gloss tiles and apart from the odd drip there are no streaks at all.
The tank holds 400mL which is apparently 12 minutes worth of steam. I think it's a bit less but refilling is not hard and you have to move power points anyway. I used 3 tanks worth on my tiles, and it took about 30 minutes - I would spend three hours with a mop and bucket (and towel).
Be realistic in your expectations, read and follow the instructions, treat it kindly and it will do everything it promises.

Melbourne

• 1 question
  • 2 answers

Date Purchased: May 2014

Ok but unreliable

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 31, 2016

Had this mop for about 2 1/2 years. The had held attachment was handy and worked well initially, but plastic attachments are flimsy and break easily. The steam produced is not powerful enough to clean properly. The mop head pads fall off easily (I replaced the cords with elastic).
My mop no longer heats up!
This is the second Vax mop I have purchased. The first mod was replaced twice under warranty.
Don't buy this mop if you want something reliable & built to last!

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2016

bought one recently used twice then refused to steam very disapointed returned for full refund this was a gift for someone who really needed it waste would not recommend it to anyone as a few have asked how it was i told them dont waste your money buy a normal mop more reliable

Date Purchased: Oct 2016

Slow to start but came through

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2016

I was initially disappointed as steam was intermittent. I tried again the next week and it came good. Trick is to keep water full and rest it for a big job. Could do with a bigger scrubbing attachment for tiles. Also one set kind of melted out of shape :-/

Noble Park

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Only good for a few uses

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2016

Thought this was great at first worked well both floor and attachments but after 3 times on floor and using the attachments around the house twice it stopped working. The worst thing it was a present from the kids and they didn't keep the receipt so it was their money wasted.

Don't Purchase!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2016

Followed instructions - nothing! Lights came on but does not work! Very very disappointing product! Better with a run of the mill mop people - I guess that's the lesson that I have learned from Vax! Pathetic!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Stopped working

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 30, 2014

About 2yrs old but only used less than 5 times and has already stopped working. Can't find the receipt to return it and is no doubt out of warranty but it has never worked as advertised anyway. Steam coming out is barely noticable and doesnt even heat the floor up. Didn't clean stainless cooktop or windows at all either

Sydney

• 2 helpful votes

Pretty Good, but...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2014

Worked well for about 3-4 months then stopped producing decent steam. I figured out that the resin filter needs replacing. That's cool as I can understand that with hard water types. Anyway, Vax don't sell these. You have to go to Stokes which seems the only place in Australia you can buy them. $35.75 plus $16.00 delivery. They don't stock them either. Seriously!! Just under a third of the price of a new mop. Give me a break. Its gone in the otto and I will check out price of other brands and the availability/price of the filters

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Horrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2014

Waste of money. Doesn't steam properly due to mat so doesn't even make the floor hot let alone sterilise! Wish I could find my receipt so I could take it back and get my money back. Only good thing about it is it has a sturdy handle but won't be using it anyway so won't have to worry abou it breaking.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Vax Official

Hi Leilani - we're sorry to hear you're having troubles with your Duo steam mop and we'd like to help! If you'd like to send us your details to vax_enquiries@ttibrands.com.au we will do what we can to help you out. Thanks! Sarah

Brisbane

• 1 comment

Good as a basic mop

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2014

You cant fault it as a basic steam mop but the other attachments are only so so, dont work too well. The similar model sold in the UK sells for a lot cheaper and comes with better attachments and the hand held part has a handle. I guess this is a lesser model of the UK model, that is exclusive to bunnings, ironocally sold at a higher price! Why cant Oz get the smae models even if it has to be sold at a higher price?

Update:
Dont buy this, used only twice now no steam, tried everything to no avail. No stem comes. This is the worst product I have ever bought. Terribly dissapointed. Hope I can get my money back.

+ Steam floor mop

- over priced lesser model of the one sold in the UK

Comments
Vax Official

Hi ozdingo - thanks for taking the time to review your Duo Master. Unfortunately this model isn't available in the UK, and Vax UK operates a little differently to Australia. In terms of the attachm... read more »

• 2 comments
  • 7 helpful votes

Seriously excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2014

Exceeded all my expectations very good and worth every dollar.. Cleaned my stainless steel gas cooktop that I use daily and had 3 years of built up grime and dirt under the elements, Seriously looks brand new.i had tried to scrub it off numerous time. It even got the black mark off the tiles on then splash back I have tried to scrub off for 3 years with no success steam cleaned it off In about 2 min. Couldnt believe it.

+ seriously good water tank comes off for easy refilling. easy to assemble once you work it out with swivel heaf.

Purchased at: Bunnings Warehouse

Comments
Vax Official

Thank you for taking the time to review your Vac Duo steam mop. We are glad that you have been able to remove the built up grease and grime. Regards, Phoebe

• 1 review
  • 5 answers
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

This is a fantastic steam mop!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2014

Researched steam mops for days and thought this seemed to be the best on offer for steam power, weight etc. Went into Bunnings and saw the display model, took the hand held part off to check if I could handle it, lifted the whole steamer to check weight etc. Phoned Vax helpline and told them I mainly wanted to clean the grout in my kitchen tiles, they told me there was an attachment included for this (worked a treat!), couldn't stop there, this baby doesn't stop - cleaned the grout, the tiles, the bathroom shower screen, the glass coffee table, the lot - can't stop using it. When it starts up there will be a knocking sound - its's just the water going through. Also, just when you think it has enough steam up, more comes through, be patient with it....have to keep refilling it but that's what gets the steam going - I'm very happy with this product. I've never reviewed anything before - but halfway through my second day of jobs - just couldn't let this one go!

+ Value for money, lightweight (I'm no spring chicken), glides well, plenty of steam - does what it says it does! Made my kitchen tiles like new!

- Would have been good if there had been a handle on the handheld device, gets a bit tiring when you are working on a big area using this part (like tile grout); would have liked to have tried an extension pole for the grout (however, this could have compromised the steam output I guess.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Vax Official

Thanks for your feedback on the Vax Duo. We are glad you like it and that it suits your needs. Happy Cleaning. Regards, Phoebe

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 2 answers

Very impressed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 22, 2013

I was very impressed with this steam op. I went looking for a mop that was similar to the H2O one I had seen on a shopping channel as I prefer to touch things before I buy. Did an excellent job on my tiles and was very easy to use in the bathroom to clean the shower. I tried it out on the windows also and with some practice found it worked well there also. It does require some practice at getting a rhythm to clean the windows and the water tank does need to be close to full to make the job easier but it removed the dirt and mould quickly and with much less mess than a bucket of water and cloth makes!

+ Easy to use, didn't leave puddles of water to dry, light weight even when water reserve is full

- takes some practice to get working properly with the window attachment

Purchased at: Bunnings Warehouse

Comments

does it do carpets?

It does have a carpet attachment but I have not tried it sorry.

Can I ask how long you've had it for? I have a Haan steam mop and just under 2 years, it's now dead. I'm in the process of asking the seller to see if there's anything i can do to fix it but i'm n... read more »

I am a little confused - just used my steam mop for the first time and was not too impressed with the result! The operating instructions say to use the trigger in 'short bursts' but doing this the steam just starts and stops. However one of the answers seems to indicate that you need to hold the trigger down when using. Which is the right (or best) way of using this?

Jane asked on Jun 06, 2017

Answer this

You have to hold the trigger down. It's a soft trigger so I don't find it difficult on my hands. I do bursts of steam if I have a stubborn spot or something I want to soften (like weetbix!). You do have to get a good steam going for maximum cleaning ability but holding the trigger down produces constant steam until you let it go or run out of water.

I've been using mine for several months now and I'm still really happy with it.

You need to wait for the mop to hear up for a few minutes. Steam will start to rise out of the mop when it it ready. Hold the trigger in to produce more steam on more difficult stains. After you have used the steam trigger, it takes takes a while to produce more steam- make sure there is enough water in the tank or it won't work!

Thank you to both answers but have to say to SandraC no steam rose out of the mop when turned on and I let it stand for a quite a few minutes. Still unsure as both answers are saying different things, although you both agree that bursts of steam are needed on stubborn stains. I just want continuous steam as I am mopping otherwise it's just wiping the floor with a warm cloth!

How well does it clean carpets?

Fred6999 asked on Jul 30, 2014

Answer this

I wouldnt say it cleans capets, its not a carpet cleaner but refreshes them. I have steamed minor coffee spills effectively from carpet floors and stairs and it certainly refreshes carpets.

I have just purchased a Vax VSTDUO1600 from Bunnings and am very disappointed that I can't get it to operate. I'm sure I followed every step in the instruction book but the power indicator doesn't come on when I plug it in and of course it won't work. Can you help me please?

Faye asked on Jul 13, 2014

Answer this

In instruction manual you will see the power on/off button is on the back of the machine. Its a 'soft' button, a bit tricky one half of the button is on, say, press "up" and the other half is press "down" for off make sure power us on at wall first. hope this helps.

See all 8 questions about Vax Duo Master Steam Cleaner VSTDUO1600