Disgusted with customer service through Member Program

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2017

This complaint is due to the lack of information provided to a member of the velocity program if they are offered a promotion by one of their partners.
My husband and i fly religiously every weekend due to work commitments and always fly Virgin. I was offered an Explore Gold card. In 2015 as a family we were advised to pool if we didn't fly that much. 2017 bought new positions which require us to fly every weekend. On receiving this promotion, it informed me i would need to fly certain amount a routes to maintain gold. No where does it state i
f you are pooling, you will need to cancelling so you can participate in this program. It actually doesn't mention anything about this. It simple states you need 80 status credits which is 4 return or 1 business return etc. When booking another flight this morning i have realised it still states i need 80 status credits. I phoned customer relations who said sorry but i am a supervisor and this is as high as your complaint can go and we can't do anything about this and it is EXPECTED our members are aware of these conditions. EXPECTED?? and NOTHING we can do and sorry but our partner offered this promotion. This is not how you speak to customers and no result. I asked to speak to a manager and be told no I'm the highest is disgusting service. Normally i speak very highly of virgin compared to its competitors but this has really dented this rapport.

Adelaide

• 3 helpful votes

Virgin Holidays - Scammers

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2017

Rubbish.
Don't waste your time using them unless you are certain you're going to use the accommodation booking. If you book through them and need to cancel, even under extreme circumstances, you still get an $80 cancellation fee. No other hotel booking website does this unless there is a cancellation fee directly from the hotel itself.
What kind of accommodation booking service charges this sort of fee?

Only thing you get out of this as opposed to going through another provider is the frequent flyers points, but there are many different other ways to earn points. Save yourself the hassle and go through someone else for your accommodation.

Hobart

Beware Virgin Booking switches to Tigerair

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2017

Recently made a booking with Virgin and without any notification it switched to Tigerair. System didn't indicate transfer until booking payed and completed. Tigerair owned by Virgin.
If I book with Virgin - I want Virgin
Will fly Qantas in future

Narrow seats no soda without paying 3.00

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2017

This is the worst airline ever. Boarding outside to the back of the plane, narrow seats, no drinks, zero legroom. I will never fly them again. It's like steerage.

Sydney

• 2 answers
  • 22 helpful votes

No blanket provided for my 1.5 year old son

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2017

I was unfortunate enough to fly with Virgin along with my wife and my 1.5 year old son in a domestic flight. The temperature inside the cabin during the flight was incredibly cold. I asked one of the flight attendants for a blanket for my son as he was literally shivering, he said we don't carry blanket for economy passengers we have it only for business class! I said I'm willing to pay but the answer was no. I told them I will never ever fly with them again. Five years has passed and I never have and never will fly with them again.

BRISBANE

• 3 helpful votes

NEVER AGAIN!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2017

We paid a premium price to fly from Brisbane to Denpasar return in July. We could have flown to Phuket for half the cost with another airline. They use an aircraft that should be on regional flights, not international flights with only enough legroom for anyone under five foot six tall. They force us to upgrade to economy X at an extra cost of $69. Their economy X seats have the legroom of standard economy on most other international airlines.

I have renamed Virgin's economy class to sardine class. Economy X to cattle class and anyone who f
ly's business class has more money than sense.

Our resort and Villa accommodation in Bali, with complimentary buffet breakfasts for twelve nights, cost us less than the airfare for one of us, which does not even include a meal.

Then they send us these emails to BID for an upgrade to their idea of business class at an extra minimum cost of $250 per seat.

They have rocks in their heads if they think we should accept this.

Bring back the old Virgin Blue.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Ringwood, Victoria

• 6 comments
  • 5 answers
  • 30 helpful votes
Private message

The best Arline to travel on

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2017

I am flying with Elise to the Gold Coast using them because their seats are comfortable and their is more leg room to stretch my legs since I have only on one good leg also the staff are extremely friendly to their customers.

Dunsborough

GREAT STAFF BUT POOR AFTER CARE SERVICE

3 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2017

We recently travelled with Virgin Australia for an overseas flight - going to our destination it was a reat flight - great staff and service. On our return to Australia we had an issue with a layover in Los Angeles - at first we had a 2 hour delay due to a previous plane - this was fine but.. just before take off a gentleman had 2 x epileptic fits - the staff were prompt in helping him and assisting him. unfortunately this passenger had to be removed from the plane - after 5 hours on the tar-mac we were advised that the baggage staff had all go ne home and his bag could not be removed so we all had to get off the plane. another hour gone by and we were advised of a hotel we would be staying the day at and a 45 min wait on a bus to be taken to this hotel.

As we had a connecting flight when we arrived in Brisbane - there was a 5 hour stop hour there which wasn't ideal..

I do know it was a medical issue and I respect that the passengers health and well being is a priority but I feel that not having the correct staffing on at the airport drew out this issue causing a delay of 24 hours of us returning home which then caused further costs on us.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2017

Excellent service. Friendly staff. Helpful staff. Good food onboard. Very well organised. Got us where we were going safely, and back home safely.

Lost International flights because staff mix up. Not impressed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2017

Dissapointed and lost of time and money
Staff not helpful
Miss my International flights because of Virgin staff lack of communication and management skill

Great customer service... Until something goes missing

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2017

I have flown with Virgin Australia about 70 times. I have generally received great customer service and found the airline accommodating when I have to make unforeseen changes or missed a flight due to traffic.

Recently I arrived at my destination sans checked luggage and would have had no contact whatsoever if not for my repeated initiation. After several calls & e-mails over 2 weeks; requesting information about the next steps and process for making a claim if it doesn't show up I finally received a reply. I have been asked to buy the item
s in the luggage they lost, produce proof of purchase & submit receipts and provide my bank details.

While this may be standard practice, at no time was I offered a voucher, no concern at all has been shown when I mentioned I stupidly put my car/house keys in the now missing checked luggage. Fortunately I have been able to stay at a friend's house but a simple - do you have anywhere to stay until you can get to the real estate agent? Would have been appreciated given my employer and I have collectively spent more than $20,000 on flights with the airline.

I am now reluctant to purchase items as I now doubt I will see a cent of compensation given the abysmal lack of concern or offer of any voucher or replacement of missing item(s) either immediately afterwards or in the weeks following...

Sadly, I have to travel with the airline again in the near future. i will be very reluctant to do so after that flight lands. Has anyone here made a claim for lost luggage through Virgin Australia and if so, did you submit receipts and receive a bank deposit.

My experience has demonstrated to me being a Velocity Frequent Flyer means nothing and brand loyalty is in the eyes of the consumer only. The customer is expendable. My opinion of the airline has nose-dived considerably. While the inconvenience of being stupid enough to put house/car keys in my checked luggage and being unable to get in is annoying, I am more irritated the airline does not appear to give a .... About the inconvenience or costs I've already incurred and has offered absolutely nothing to a regular customer. 2 out of 5 is a bit generous on my part. I'm seething.

Gold Coast

• 3 comments
  • 1 question
  • 3 answers
  • 22 helpful votes

Never again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2017

I caught a return flight from Brisbane to Sydney return. The flight from Brisbane to Sydney was good but coming back is another story. I dropped the cup of water into my lap. The attendant didn't offer me a hand towel to dry myself and looked cranky when I asked for another cup of water. This is the last time I fly with Virgin. This was on the 2pm flight Sydney-Brisbane. Also they wouldn't refund my $29.00 as I asked for an aisle seat in my booking (which was confirmed plus I booked economy x) and I was given a window seat as there was a chang e to the flights. When I called about my refund for $29.00 some overseas call centre operator advised this fee wouldn't be refunded. I paid extra for the aisle seat as I feel sick sitting next to the window seat (and yes I expected the aisle). Stress was made worse because I have just returned from a family funeral. I really thought paying the extra expense I would get superior onboard cabin service and from the call centre but how wrong was I. Good bye Virgin you have lost a regular passenger.

The Good Samaritan

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2017

Dear Virgin Airlines,
I would like to thank a certain member of your staff- Penny, the customer service lady at Adelaide airport at the check-in counter.
I had booked a holiday to Adelaide a month ago and the same day that I was due back home- my stepdad had an accident and was rushed to ICU in a critical state.
When I went to the counter at Adelaide airport, I asked Penny if I could go on an earlier flight back to Melbourne, I was told that according to my ticket, it was not possible to switch flights.
Penny saw the sadness and distres
s in my face and asked me what was wrong. After letting her know my situation, Penny called her supervisor and I was switched to the earlier flight.
I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to Penny and Virgin Airlines for being so understanding and kind.
I will never forget the kind deed that was done on your part.
Penny, people like you make the world a better place!
Once again, THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH.
Regards,
Tanya

Worst flight ever to Bali

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2017

We used Virgin last year Nov 2016 to fly to Bali from Brisbane and it was fine, decent size plane, on flight entertainment and food provided. So this time July 2017, we paid the same price to be put on a domestic plane, no food unless prepaid, it took 1.5 hours for a complimentary glass of water, toilets located at back of plane were inaccessible due to food trolley & we found out too late that we should have downloaded app for on flight entertainment. It would have to be the worst 5-6 hour flight we have ever experienced. Next time we will be looking at the many other airlines that offer flights to get to Bali and Virgin Airlines will be our last choice for wherever we go.

Great Value for Money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2017

We travelled from Adelaide to Brisbane for a family holiday. Initially we were going to fly with Jetstar, however I didn't trust them with all their sneaky convoluted add on fees like seat allocation fees, baggage fees, membership fees etc, that they don't fully disclose up front, only once you proceed through the booking process.

In contrast, Virgin was simple and straight forward to book with and transparent with their fees. To my surprise, on a like-for-like basis, Virgin ended up being marginally cheaper than Jetstar. Virgin communicati
on was good with prompt issue of e-tickets and reminder emails just prior to travel. They accepted our child booster seat free of charge as checked baggage. Staff were helpful and friendly at both Adelaide and Brisbane airports with checking in. They enabled us to balance our luggage weight amongst our bags so that no one piece exceeded the maximum allowance and incur additional cost, which I was impressed with.

We had no issue with lost or damaged bags and in-flight service was fine. They served complimentary tea & coffee, water and juice with a small snack. Any other meals or drinks had to be purchased. I would rather do this than pay a grossly inflated amount by travelling with Qantas. The kids made use of their inflight entertainment system where you download an app on your smart phone or iPad prior to travel which seemed to have a good offering of entertainment.

Both our flights were delayed, one flight was due to a passenger no-show and the bag had to be removed and the other flight was due to weather. In my experience, delays can happen with any airline due to any number of reasons and I don't believe that Virgin would have been able to do anything different to avoid our delays.

Overall I thought Virgin offered great value for money, we had a good experience and I would not hesitate to use them again. I trust Virgin much more than I would trust Tiger or Jetstar.

brisbane

• 4 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 7 helpful votes
Private message

Incompetent and rude front line/maintenance staff

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

Lack overall competence and tend to abuse verbally each other (someone kept calling him Terry... who was supposed to be the organiser at Brisbane airport. These employees were abusing each other. And, if you deal in writing with them they have no respect for clients.

• 1 review

Lost luggage

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2017

For the second time in a row, Virgin have lost my luggage. I am supposedly a Priority customer flying Business Class.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Brisbane

Great Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

Love to fly with Virgin Australia, great service and always helpful. If you have virgin point they also never expire

wellington

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Thanks for organising our Bali trip.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2017

Thanks for organising our Bali trip. I’d never travel Virgin again though for trips of more than 3 hours. Cramped seats and poor quality food! Toilets are a disgrace- 2 for 190 people in economy and they don’t open u[p the front one for us while there were on one leg only 4 people in first class and one toilet- a bloody disgrace. Please pass on my bad report to Virgin- there needs to be flexibility around toilets!!!!! And even a couple more inches in the seating would be great. So never again with them

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Warnbro

• 2 comments
  • 9 helpful votes

no compassion

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

My grandfather passed away and my mum had to travel with jetstar to Adelaide. We had been going in a week's time but she had to make a last minute dash as he was in his final 24 hours. When it came to arrange her retern flight they wouldn't let us combine the flight costs for trip home and charged a change fee, even on a compassionate circumstance. Will never travel with them again. Start using Australian call centres. Was sick of repeating myself to your staff.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 28 pages

I would have wanted to pay extra for an upgrade on my Perth to Darwin flight but even if I wanted to I could not afford it,I thought it might be within reach in the bidding,can I ask why so expensive my bid would have been too weak to even had a chance?thankyou Linda Byrne

Linda asked on Aug 22, 2016

Answer this

Because they are a greedy and inept airline.

Has anyone been charged a tax labelled "city (fisco) tax Nicaragua?" I booked flights between Sydney and Rarotonga and virgin customer service apparently has no idea what it is.

Karin asked on Feb 22, 2016

Answer this

We recently flew to the USA and there were a multitude of taxes shown on our tickets.
The thing to remember is, its the final price that counts.
It wouldn't concern me in the slightest if the ticket showed $1499.98 "hooray for holidays USA tax" and $0.02 return flights to the USA.
As long as I only pay $1500 as quoted, why worry about it.
Cheers

why do you want to charge me $400 to change a name on a flight that is from sydney to brisbane when the original flight was $260?

angry asked on Feb 16, 2016

Answer this

Because they are a greedy and inept airline.

I've only encountered this once back in 1981 as a friend flying with me between Coolangatta and Sydney changed her plans.
She gave her ticket to a friend to travel with me and we arrived at the check-in desk, naturally the name on her ticket did not match.
TAA (in those days) said it would cost $132 each way to change the name on the ticket, yet the flight was also $132 each way (business class).
At the time, the other person travelling with me worked for Births Deaths & Marriages and stated "it costs $25 for me to change my name by deed pole - should I do that instead, because I have time to run back in to town and do it".
The TAA staff member's jaw dropped to the floor and she said "that wont be necessary, we wont worry this time" - then changed the details within minutes and gave her a new ticket.
Just like everything these days, all sellers will see how much you are prepared to pay and charge or waive the price accordingly.
Cheers