Not professional at all

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

I was on flight VA551 Sydney to Perth on Wednesday 10th of January and the staffs was unbelievable unprofessional.

The tone they used was not nice at all. It is the first time actually I came across this as Virgin staffs always great as they helped me during check in time very pleasant lady she was; thanks for that.
There was a guy attendants who was serving food and drinks on one side; came across a poor Chinese lady who was unable to speak English and he just ask her if she wanted some some food; she was trying to explain with his hand but the lady declined. Then when he served drinks; the lady reply some milk only, the guy said half a cup or full one; tell me when it's enough. He was rude and was working as he was in a rush. Later when him and his colleague was cleaning up and pass the same lady again; the colleague asked the lady for rubbish but she did not understand then she asked her if she wanted to eat; she did not understand. Both attendants keeps on walking and collecting rubbish and they are both taking about the poor lady who was not able to communicate and closed by passengers could hear them both whingeing.Lucky [name removed] and 2 of these ladies who was sitting next to her said that she wanted some milk and [name removed] then try to asked again of she wanted food she then said yes. Very helpful [name removed] and she was the only one who looks like she was enjoying her job and I can say that she had good customer service. The other attendant working pairing up with [name removed] wearing big glasses was like exhausted of being here, she was walking and bumping drinks trolley to passengers seat and apologised saying it our first day, who care about your first day, you are on duty and maybe she should act professionally.
Whats the point doing all these interviews, job test, needs to have customer experiences when these one was suppose to act professionally but seriously they are more advanced on electronics stuffs that training the staffs properly. Not sure if I will get my relatives to travel with this airline again as I'm sure that no help will be given to them and maybe they will left with no food as well.
I just thought everyone should be trated the same way with respect and dignity no matter what culture you come from.
Virgin Australia maybe you should train your staffs on how to be compassionate, respect;more dignities;more about hospitality and act professionally and of course keep your smile no matter what.

Perth

• 1 comment

Mixed bag

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

After having flown with Virgin on Christmas Day and having a great experience, my wife and I decided to book our next flight with Virgin also.

We took advantage of the happy hour sale but unfortunately the web site was struggling with volume and could not process our booking.
I then called Virgin to book the ticket manually.
Long story short, it seemed no one knew how to take a booking using Velocity points and part payment. This process took five hours!

Never mind, these things happen. The next morning I check my bank account only to discover Virgin have taken the payment from my credit card, not once but twice.

So far I have spent hours on the phone trying to rectify this. Problem is that no one will put me through to the department that is able to rectify this error. Furthermore no one at Virgin will pass my number on to the relevant department and ask them to call me.

Head office in Brisbane hung the phone up in my ear. Cmon Virgin you are a multi national company, the fact that my card was overcharged is not the biggest issue here, it happens. The biggest issue is a complete lack of training and customer service.

In my experience the customer service whilst being on your journey with Virgin is fantastic.
Trying to receive help outside of the plane or airport is a different matter entirely.

17/01/18 I have now been waiting six days for a phone call. Still nothing from Virgin!

Can't thank you enough

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2018

We can't thank you enough for altering our return flight to Brisbane to a flight on the 5th January - 24 hours earlier which got me into hospital sooner. Well done Virgin! When I am able we shall travel with you again as we have for the past 22years. Col H

Loved flying with Virgin

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2018

Quick check in, good leg room, best service. Clean, organized and great customer service. Will fly with them for sure again.

• 3 comments
  • 4 questions
  • 10 answers
  • 11 helpful votes

Comfortable, safe and reliable Aussie Airline

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 02, 2018

I travelled on Virgin Australia from Sydney to Brisbane return in mid December 2017. I was more than happy with every aspect of my experience, including booking, check-in and service, both at the airport and in the air. Of course, this was not the first time that I’ve travelled on Virgin, but I’ve never had any reason to complain about them.

As usual, the booking process was straightforward and easy via Virgin’s website. I was able to check-in online and print my boarding pass at home, so that, once at the airport in Sydney, all I had to do was to print my luggage tag, affix it to my suitcase and then drop my case at the designated drop-off counter. Couldn’t be simpler. If you get stuck with the self-service check-in or bag drop process, there are plenty of helpful and friendly staff on hand to assist you, and the ladies especially are easy to spot in their smart red uniforms.

My ticket included 23kg of checked luggage, which is always handy even if one is only going away for a few days. And for a couple of extra dollars, I always reserve an aisle seat for myself, even on short flights, and that makes me feel more relaxed, not having to hop over fellow passengers to go to the toilet.

Our flight to Brisbane left on time and the short trip (just over one hour) was smooth and comfortable. Soft drinks, water, tea and coffee and a healthy fruit snack were served on board. More substantial snacks such as wraps and sandwiches or alcohol need to be paid for. There were a number of small children on my flight and I couldn’t help noticing how helpful and patient the air hostesses were to the parents.

We arrived in Brisbane on schedule. Baggage collection took just minutes and I was quickly on the train from the terminal to my hotel in the city.

My return flight from Brisbane to Syd was similarly smooth and hassle-free. We left about 10 minutes late but still arrived on time. Baggage collection was quick and easy and I was soon on my way home.

Virgin provides cheap domestic flights, but does not compromise on safety, reliability or service. I always enjoy flying with Virgin and can recommend them to any prospective travellers.

Thankyou for being so awesome

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 01, 2018

My 11yr old unaccompanied minor boarded flight va1105 from newcastle this morning.thankyou from go to wo virgin airlines.a wonderful 1st time experience for my son.your kind words to his aunty in brisbane made this even better.cannot thankyou enough

Private message

Scammed My Wife, Ruined Our Holiday & New Year.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 29, 2017

Holiday planned months in advance, wife comes down with the flu more than a week prior to the holiday, has multiple doctor visits and gets the okay to fly from the doctor as well as a certificate. Airline (not Virgin) refuses her travel, no compensation whatsoever. This was a return ticket, around ~$300 worth.

This is where she gets scammed.

Virgin now offers their service to her, guarantees her travel due to the medical certificate. Another ~$300 worth for this flight, 4 hours of waiting in the airport only to be refused travel once again, with no compensation.

What a complete and utter joke. There goes our holiday, happy new year.

Brisbane

Careless, disrespectful & money-hungry airline

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2017

Boarded a flight to New Zealand for a wedding last month and at around 2am upon arrival was called to the Air NZ service desk and told that their baggage handlers ran over my partners luggage. Rips, burns, black stains, you name it. Clothing was destroyed. Over $1000.00 worth of goods damaged. Rudely told by the airport clerk to submit a claim online through Virgin as they were the airline we boarded at the time. Submitted the claim, took over a month to get back to us with email as their only mode of contact, only to be offered only $200.00 compensation and that this sort of damage is the “normal” and “standard” rigors of baggage transportation. Absolute rubbish. I’ve worked in an airport before and I know how negligent their baggage handlers can be. Never flying with this airline again. Bunch of useless idiots.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

The call centre from the abyss

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2017

I booked a flight to a Pacific island departing 27/12/17 and a seat had been assigned and paid for to accommodate my pensioner mother. However, I tried to check in today and what'll you know? Her seat had been unassigned! So I called the Virgin Australia 24-7 call centre (transferred through to the Philippines call centre) and was told that the seat had been inadvertently unassigned by one of their staff in error because, as they explained it "He forgot..." to do something or other when he extended my mum's ticket by 2 weeks. I of course kept hearing "We apologise..." but did not hear any attempt at resolution. Instead I was told I would be put through to their "senior" staff member to come up with something. After a lifetime waiting to an annoying telephone loop of some weird music the "senior" staff member finally answered and again the usual "We apologise.." I was then told I had to choose another seat. I told the "senior" staff person that mum needed a seat close to the toilet and after 2 minutes the "senior" staff member suggested I could take another seat however I could clearly see on checkin view that this seat one row up from mum's original one was taken by another customer but this did not seem to bother the "senior" staff person at all she kept rabbiting on about "our policies..." in other words that she could move any customer based on her "authority". I questioned her again her ethics in particular given that she was willing to unseat a customer who'd already paid and confirmed their seating arrangement???!? I told her stuff your policies what about ethics and that I could not take another customer's seat instead choosing a seat a few rows up and shocked by her lackadaisacal approach to customer "service". I also let her know I would be writing a scathing review on Google and social media about this shocking event. So be warned, when you change anything on your flexible ticket double check with the call centre person that all is in order so that there are no hidden surprises. You have been warned....!

• 1 question

Staff were really helpful

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2017

I recently flew out of Brisbane with my 15 month old daughter. I didn’t expect any special treatment but one of the girls behind the ticket check in area approached us and asked where we were sitting. When I told her my seat she informed me I was sitting in a full row and then changed me to a seat with a spare seat next to it.
That fact that she went out of her way was really appreciated as it’s stressful enough travelling with an overactive child. The staff on the flight were also helpful and they all made an otherwise stressful situation into a pleasant one. Thank you!

• 2 helpful votes

Unprofessional

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2017

Delayed departure for 1hr yet gave no announcements or apologies of any sort - departing from Adelaide airport. Never had such an unprofessional service. Unheard of for an airline. I’d avoid travelling with them.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Poor service from attendant boarding at the gate

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2017

Attendant was boarding people from the right & left. I was supporting a person with a disability to board & we were in the right side which was priority board, didn't know that. He was in the 1st 5 rows, however the attendant instructed him to get on the left side. Only for her to check him through on the left side. She was unthinking & lacked any understanding of the stress & difficulty that a person go through when doing sometime do every few year. Why dose would he have a support worker with him, my rate on her is 0.

Private message

Fixing a toilet while all on board.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 22, 2017

Virgin are useless. Deciding to start and take an hour fixing a toilet after everyone has boarded. Not a well thought out plan and frustrating for the passangers.

• 1 comment
  • 13 helpful votes

Lowest care factor ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 22, 2017

I spent a very long time in bag drop in Sydney. It was Christmas so I expected this. What I didn’t expect was the blatant disregard shown by the Virgin staff for the waiting customers - the staff had friends dropping around for an extended chat - much smiling and goodwill for their friends, zero for people waiting in the queue. there were two quests moving at very obviously different speeds , but no attempt to manage the allocation of counter staff to equalise wait times. A zero care factor.

Canberra

• 8 helpful votes
Private message

Canceled group booking caused our company mayhem

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2017

Three days before Xmas we receive a call from VA to advise that 12 travellers on a organised tour have had their flights changed (international) as such we have to change hotels dates insurance etc etc and costs us $$ company made no apology nor compensation for doing such a terrible thing

Cairns

Baggage allowance

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 21, 2017

As a family of 4, we travelled from Sydney to Cairns on Tuesday 19th Dec 2017. We were made aware by our travel agent that we had a baggage allowance of 23kg per person and hence we had two bags between us weighing under 40kg. We have done this with other airlines such as British Airways, Easyjet, American Airlines, Emirates, Malaysian, etc. and it has never been a problem. When we tried to check in our bags at Sydney airport, we were told that we needed to have separate bags for each of 4 x 23kg baggage allowances for each of the 4 members of our family, else we would have to pay an additional $70 per bag for each bag that was over our allowance. The member of the virgin staff that checked us in explained the virgin check in systems could check in single items of baggage over 23kg and it was policy that we could only have bags with 23kg or under on the plane under a normal booking. When we asked to see the supervisor Alex, she was rude to us and just kept quoting policy and was not helpful. In the end we were forced to pay $140 for two bags under 30kg despite having a hold baggage allowance between us of 92kg. When I have travelled on Virgin anywhere outside of Australia, whether travelling to Asia or the Us, I have always found their customer service of a high standard in line with the ethics and culture under which [name removed] set up the airline. Our experience with Virgin Australia falls way short of our expectations and was disappointing and will make us reconsider whether we use the group in the future.

Children flying alone

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 20, 2017

Charged excess baggage on the credit card used for booking for 2 x 3 kg waterskis $260 !!! even through suitcases only 19kg !!! Don't sent kids without an adult voice appalling virgin

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Brain dead call centre contractor and very poor VA management

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2017

Management of VA are fools or cynical who have fluff off complaints and responsibility for the actions of their representatives as well as their statutory duties.

The animated script drones, working for a sub-contractor in the Philippines, are utterly clueless about the concept of travel agents being legal agents for the airline and legally represent and bind the airline; and once ticketed, the agent drops out, leaving only a contract between airline and passenger. They are also ignorant about Australian Consumer Law that creates a statutory warranty that a service must achieve the result made known to the airline OR the agent, or what is normally expected, regardless of the contract and airline rules etc (usually undisclosed at the point of sale).

In other words, the airline is on the hook for their various marketing arms and agents and their undisclosed terms, misleading conduct etc. Their management finds it convenient to pretend this is not the case with repetitive call centre babble/scripts.

Unhelpful, asinine. Their suggestion I write to their web site complaint (meaning Public Relations fluff) with no particular timeline (and this is an urgent booking) shows yet another disconnect, though various undocumented and undisclosed fees and extra money for opaque fare changes seems to motivate them. They fail to grasp the notion of a lawsuit as an alternative to transfer the time and cost back onto them and remove the incentive to rip off passengers with shoddy service. This took 1 hour and 50 minutes.

I will issue a chargeback with my credit card company. Not a bad airline, but their call centre is disgustingly bad.

• 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

Budget but reliable

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2017

I have travelled with virgin several times recently. Yes it is a budget airline, but it get's you to where you need to be, the flight time can change but in all incidents plenty of warning has been given ( I have had the same experience of flight times being chnaged with more expensive carriers). Not bad for a budget airline

Private message

SMS : Virgin Australia regrets......

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2017

We paid for direct flights from Sydney to Hobart return. Got to Hobart OK but trying to get home was a little more tricky. VA are happy to take your money but then bend you over at the 'drop of a hat'.
Called them to ask why we could no longer go home as per the flight we had paid for and the poor silly on the phone offered us a flight that was due to close in 15 minutes and advised us we needed to be at the airport 60 minutes before departure. VA - are you paying your staff with peanuts?

1 of 31 pages