Luke Virgin Check-in

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 21, 2017

Just want to pass on a little thank you to Mr.Luke at the check-in lounge.
He made really easy for myself to adjust the seating arrangement so that my partner I can sit together.
It's the little things that can make such a difference... commendations Luke and thank you

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 8 helpful votes

Poor service in The business

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2017

Recently flew Los Angeles -Sydney in The Business.
We were unlucky with our designated attendant, our side of the plane was served by a male attendant from Sydney who clearly needs to learn customer service 101. I do not understand why Virgin employ arrogant attendants who have no interest in serving all passengers with the same level of service as the next passenger. We were told in no certain terms, that the LA-Sydney flight is never as good as Sydney - LA as the attendants usually party whilst in LA and are worst for wear on the return flight. Was also told that they (attendants) count on an easy flight from LA to Sydney as most passengers want to sleep which is why all but three attendants disappear after business meal service...Food was nothing better than cafeteria style food, Luke warm meat, wilting salads and melted ice cream. There is NEVER a drink refill offered, you have to request one and then they have either run out or take their time providing it. Breakfast offering was terrible as well, it appeared to be powdered scrambled eggs, they ran out of bacon and mushroom...... Coffee was tepid and juice was warm... I was perplexed as to why an attendant would serve such a meal. At $8,000.00 return I would never fly Virgin again.

Russell lea

Alliance with Singapore Airlines means less perks and no benefits

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2017

I recently booked a trip through Virgin Australia on a Singapore Airlines plane. Turns out that I am not able to select my seat due to this. I don't understand why I'm penalized and losing out as a result of the alliance between these companies? I used to book directly with Singapore Airlines and not only could I choose my seat, but I could also pay extra for emergency exit seats. Now I don't have this option at all! How is this fair?

Flights are consistently late and terrible customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2017

This is my second time flying with Virgin Australia (now from Melbourne to Sydney). Flight VA 877 was supposed to be leaving at 18:15 pm tonight. We ended up leaving at around 20:00 hours. How terrible is that? And there were no compensation like free proper dinner except for a cheap sort of like cereal snacks.

Our first flight with them from LA to Sydney year 2015, their flight was also delayed! And they gave my husband a cold & spoiled food that caused him food poisoning. He ended up vomiting and having diarrhoea all through out that flight. We buzzed for help as there is no vomit bag available on our seat and the cranky crew guy responded. I wasn’t really happy with how he treated my husband who was just vomiting non-stop at that time. I tried not to give a bad review as I know this can ruin or affect someone else’s business, but I have yet to see a flight on time and a great service from this horrible Virgin Australia airline. Just Horrible!

Verified Customer

The most disgusting toilets ever!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2017

On a flight from Melbourne to Newcastle, straight after take off I was the first person to use the rear bathroom.
I have never entered a toilet that was so smelly, filthy and unhygienic in my life.
The rims around the mirror, toilet and cupboards were built up dirt and 'God knows what' This shows cleanliness has been questionable for some time.
Just imagine the food!!!!!!! and where that comes from.
Its just abhorrent to think any staff or cleaning contractor would even think it was fit for human use.
Not good enough Virgin, Just discussing.
Jenny
Flight No Va1593
26 Sept
11.50am
Res No JIGWBC

Cancels flights without telling you

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2017

Virgin Australia cancelled our flight and did not communicate it to us. We found out via Google and had to call to confirm. First time I called, I was put on hold after talking to one consultant and then the line hung up on me.

Not acceptable.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2017

Waited almost 2 hours in check in queue at Hobart a/port on Tuesday 10th Oct, Brisbane bound. There was one attendant in cubicle briefly, when we joined the queue then she grabbed her vest & head phones & left. No explanation & no apologies when we finally were checked in (1 & 1/2 hrs later). There were many disgruntled people including elderly folk who declared they wouldn't fly with Virgin again.

The thought phoning there 'customer service' team makes me want to jump out of my 11 storey window

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2017

I work for a company and we arrange a lot of corporate travel, their accelerate system is a joke, you can never cancel flights (even as an administrator) and end up having to call and be put through to at least 5 people before someone has the responsibility to cancel a platinum corporate booking, it is the most painful system and each person you speak to makes you go through all the booking information before they are able to tell you that they cannot assist. I do not know how a company of this size can get it so wrong.

No responsibility for my Damaged Bag - Don't fly Virgin

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2017

Took a brand new bag on holidays and had it come crack with the wheel compressed deep into the casing and major casing damage. Told the staff at virgin baggage and they said they didn't cover damage. Don't fly Virgin.

Melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Melbourne to Los Angeles

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

I have just come back from flying Virgin Australia from Melbourne to Los Angeles and back. I am disappointed with Virgin on a number of levels.

In flight entertainment - The in flight entertainment is really subpar when compared with Qantas, Singapore Air, Delta and Virgin America in my view. With Virgin Australia, you get no live channels, a very limited selection of music and limited non movie content (such as documentaries). I didn't even bother watching the entertainment for the first eight hours on the way back as I had seen everything I wanted to see.
In addition, my USB charging port was broken meaning I arrived in Melbourne with no phone battery.

Seat comfort - On the way over and on the way back, I was in so much pain. My back was hurting which I put down to their seats. I flew on other airlines for long distances (Singapore, Qantas) and have not been in the same amount of pain. On the flight over, I noticed after six hours that the cushion I was sitting on wasn't stuck on properly. Whoever put that cushion on needs some training in my view as I don't think it fell of. Either way, cushion or no cushion, I felt both seats were brutal. In addition, the flight I was on was full so I also was forced to fight for the armrests with larger people who could not respect other people's personal space. With Delta and Virgin America, there was more room to breathe.

Noise - On the way over, I upgraded to Economy X. For $149, I received noise cancelling headphones which I felt was the only major benefit. On the way back, I took what was probably the noisiest flight I had been on - perhaps because it was full.

Cabin crew - It feels like Virgin have the biggest 'hands off' approach out of all the long distance airlines I have been on. I asked the staff for orange juice and was abruptly told that I can get up and get it myself. When I responded that I did get up and there was no orange juice there, the staff member walked away and eventually came back with an orange juice without ice and did not even smile. In addition, the person sitting next to me took my blanket which they owned up to. I said I didn't mind and went to the back of the plane to ask for a replacement. One Virgin crew member stated that there was no spare blanket to give me - not even one spare in the whole plane. I responded with disbelief- what airline travels with no spare blankets? Fortunately, a friendlier cabin member said she found one. I don't think I have ever received such a poor on board experience.

Check in situation - I am a Velocity Gold member. When checking in on the way back, it was not obvious where I should queue. As a result, I lined up in the normal line negating my gold benefit.

Seat selection - On the return flight, I could not choose my seat on the Virgin flight as my first flight was with Delta. This is a serious flaw as if you pay $2,500 for tickets, I should be able to choose my seat without phoning up.

Lounge access - I was not sure of my entitlement to lounge access in LAX before my Virgin America flight. There were long delays in responses from the [email protected] address. Eventually I arrived in LAX with no lounge access and a 4-5 hour break.
Later I found out that if I had flown Delta, I would have had lounge access. Thanks for telling your gold members about this, Virgin. They also offered no compensation.

This was a work trip but I am so annoyed with Virgin right now. Will seriously reconsider my ongoing usage of Virgin, particularly as I feel status credits will be harder to maintain.

Kiama

Anyone would think Christmas Islander is 3rd world by Virgin standards

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

We were warned when we got to Christmas Island that getting off could be difficult. During our week the Tuesday flight did not make it because ,apparently, staffing issues. The the next day was due to weather ( acceptable) then on the Saturday we were due to leave staffing issues again. On the Sunday Virgin had an Australia wide IT outage which was fixed by 3.30pm eastern time (12.30) CI time. They started check in on time then stopped because the plane had to be rescheduled. About 4pm we were told that the plane was now coming about 8 pm and flying on to Cocus then coming back and staying all night. Due to staffing hours we would take off at 1.30 Monday. My email update confirmed this the next day but I was told in a local cafe that it was now 3.30. Went to the airport and this was confirmed but no email update. We eventually took off at 3.30. This mean that we had to be put up 2 extra nights on CI which Virgin arranged and payed for. You need a car to get around but extra days not payed for. Also told that our booked accommodation in Perth would have to be claimed and the Perth car hire charges for non arrival was at my expense. It appears that no extra staff are carried even when they know this will delay flights. Islanders are fed up with this service as were we.

Delayed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2017

Delayed leaving Perth, after checking in online to come home they changed my flight at 2am, flight supposed to be 7.15am then once again delay for 45 minutes, never again.

Never again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2017

Delayed flight but not according to flight status. Arrived at the airport to collect our daughter to find out her flight had been delayed by 2 hours. Checked website flight status again to still see flight was on time. Disappointing. Apart from the being able to check in online and print your own bag tags still have to queue to drop your bags. What's the point. Still have to queue for at least 20 mins. Will never fly virgin again.

In flight service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2017

We travelled on Va35 30 September Sydney to denpasar with stopper Darwin to refuel the staff were fantastic Great humour and efficient service all this after extensive delay Sydney airport due to impending eruption Mt Aging well done staff

Fantastic customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2017

I had to catch an emergency flight from Brisbane to Perth and after having trouble on the phone booking tickets and delay in payments ect, I headed for the airport and went straight to the customer service desk. The flight had since closed and getting on this flight was still proving to be a mission as a family member in the mean time was booking a ticket on the flight on my behalf from another country and had the same difficulties I experienced. After explaining the situation and booking difficulties the man at the desk took my card and booked me onto this flight. By this stage I had become quite frazzled and stressed. Once on the plane, the flight attendants ( one in particular) checked in on me constantly all flight to see how I was going and if I needed anything and for a general chat. This helped so much with my flight and lowering my stress levels before arriving in Perth. This same attendant was on my flight home and remembered me and straight away gave me a drink and enquired to how I was doing, how my visit went and if I needed anything to let her know. She also checked in a few times during the flight to see how I was doing. Could not have asked for better service during this emotional and stressful flight. Thank you Virgin!!

Private message

Big lipped Botox lady was rude

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2017

Massive lipped service lady with a caked face was very rude and would not answer our questions, I would've rathered walking to my destination.

Verified Customer

Flight cancelled due to the staff issue and no refund was given

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

My friends and I were scheduled to travel from Hobart to Sydney on 27 August on flight VA1537. We received a flight cancellation text message from Virgin Australia when we were on our way to the airport. As we had a flight to catch from Sydney the next afternoon, and we also had our accommodation paid for in Sydney on that evening, we carried on with our journey to the airport.

When we got to the airport, we spoke to one of the ground staff from Virgin Australia. We were told the reason for the flight cancellation was due to the flight crew issues. There weren't enough pilots to fly on that day, therefore the flight was cancelled. We were told our flight was rescheduled for the next available flight, which was the next morning. The new flight was not a direct flight, and it had to transit through Melbourne. The staff told us, we could make a claim for all the expenses, foods and accommodation through Virgin due to the flight cancellation.

As we had a flight to catch at 7pm next evening, we didn't want to take the risk of missing our flight in Sydney, therefore we requested an alternative solution. We were told to get a new flight from a different airline and make a claim through Virgin Australia after the event. We followed exactly what we were told, and when we tried to make a claim on for the alternative flight, Virgin Australia rejected the claim.

According to [name removed], guest relationship coordinator from Virgin Australia, the flight was cancelled due to an engineering issue, and as such, Virgin was not responsible if we chose to abandon the rescheduled Virgin flight and opted for a different flight which wasn't operated by Virgin Australia. We explained to [name removed], the 1st offer by Virgin did not suit us due to our travel plans. The claim for the first offer was going to cost more for Virgin Australia, as we will have to book for a new accommodation in Hobart, compensation from the hotel cancellation in Sydney on 27 August, foods on 27 and 28 August, and potentially more compensation for flight and accommodation cancellation on 28 August if we missed our flight from Sydney to Penang due to the flight cancellation on 27 August from Virgin Australia. The second offer given from the ground staff in Hobart Airport suited us better. All we tried to claim was the flight ticket from Hobart to Sydney, that cost only Australia Dollars 128.40 per person. We were offered 2 case solutions at Hobart Airport and when we tried to make the claim as we were told, the solution we picked was rejected with a conflicting excuse given by Virgin Australia. If we knew there was only ONE and only solution, we could have made a different decision. At the end of the conversation this is what I got from [name removed],

"Thank you for your feedback.
Firstly, I would like to apologise for the ongoing disappointment.
I do certainly understand your disappointment as we have not met your expectations at this instance. Hence, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.
Once again thank you for contacting Virgin Australia."

What we ended up with was a computer generated answer without any further explanation regarding the inconvenience caused by Virgin Australia. The way [name removed] handled the issue was rather short sighted and homogenised, further more the entire claim procedure was lack of customer focus.

Based on this experience, I believe that will be my first and last flight with Virgin Australia.

Sydney

• 5 helpful votes

Horrible service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2017

On a recent flight to a different state, was wearing an expensive business suit ready for a business meeting, and upon boarding one of the customers was allowed to board with a hot turmeric kind drink and this customer just dripped big drops of their drink on my expensive suit! What did the flight attendants do, nothing much. They were not very honest trying to show that they care that this has happened and it took talking to 3 flight attendants in order to get them to bring some alcohol wipes in order to clean my own suit myself. When trying to do dry cleaning with my own money later, I was unable to remove the stains and hence a perfect expensive suit has been destroyed thanks to the lack of compassion and carefulness by the flight attendants who allowed an ignorant woman to come on board with a bloody hot drink which was not sealed and was dropping stains on the floor and people's clothes!!!! VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!

I don't feel loathing much, however I LOATHE Virgin Australia

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2017

Their speciality is cancelling flights or being late. I'm waiting at the Gold Coast airport now for my delayed flight to Sydney to board, meanwhile the equivalent same-time Jetstar flight from the Gold Coast to Sydney is about to take off, even though Virgin maintain that 'it's air traffic control making the decisions and not them'. And before you ask, I tried to get on the Jetstar flight to Sydney but it was full. All that was left was Virgin, which says it all.

They've cancelled flights about 50% of the time I've flown with them and the other day, I heard that my parents' elderly friends (in their 80s) had their flight from Ballina to Sydney cancelled. They were shipped via coach to Coolangatta / Gold Coast airport, where they had to wait 8 hours to get their flight back to Sydney. In the mean time, Jetstar had flown about 3000 people between Ballina and Sydney and the Gold Coast & Sydney. Virgin Australia, You totally suck. I have genuine feelings of loathing towards you.

Great benefits

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 14, 2017

I'm a member with Virgin for the past decade, and with Virgin Atlantic for nearly two decades.
And perhaps this is not the cheapest airline, but the benefits are amazing!!!
And one of them - you can redeem your points for flights just a few weeks in advance! And without limitations of your destination, class, seats...

1 of 30 pages