Generations:

• 5 comments
  • 9 answers
  • 47 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: 118TSI Comfortline Transmission: DSG Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Das Auto

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

I have had a Golf 7 and now the 7.5, both in Comfortline and it is without a doubt quieter, more refined, more economical (720kms on one fill city and highway driving) more practical and better finished than any other hatchback in this class. The Honda Civic, well the design is not everyone's cup of tea and when I got in the back, I hit my head because of the sloping roofline. The Mazda 3 is very popular, but now old technology with the new model just around the corner, the i30 is nice but the materials inside and the drivetrain are nowhere near the Golf Standard, let's not even mention the Astra (with low res screen and no features), the Focus (with previous version transmission issues and subsequent Class Action), the new Corolla (with the smallest boot in the class) or anything else you'd like to mention.
When the new Golf 8 comes out in late 2019, it will undoubtably again be hard to beat in those departments against the competition. Having said that, I am absolutely appalled by the complete disregard for the environment incl. the criminal attitude in what can only be described as the worst corporate management team decision that we all know as 'Dieselgate' and the subsequent massive losses VW owners around the world face when selling their cars; the complete arrogance and denial by everyone at the top at Head Office makes my blood boil.
With the economy of the 1.4 Turbocharged engine, the power in the lower gears and the upcoming Hybrid models in 2019/20, there is no need for DIESEL anyway.

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: 103TDI Comfortline Transmission: Automatic Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Jan 2014

Great car !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

Very impressed and this is such a great car to drive around especially the long trips I usually take! I was a little unsure with getting VW but was defiantly worth it !! Would purchase this car again if i had to. such an awesome little car to get around.

Perth

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: Mk.7 (2013-2017) Body: Hatch Badge: GTI Transmission: DSG Engine Size: 2.0 Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Great car but needs better QC

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

MK7 GTI owner, best hatchrocket ever driven, slick design and beautiful interior. However, continuously rattling keep bothers me so now I'm switch to a higher level brand than VW, the engine mount needed strengthen, it vibrates in an abnormal way under hard acceleration which is what this car designed for.

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: Trendline Transmission: Manual Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Jul 2018

My first German vehicle and I’m VERY impressed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2018

I have a Trendline Manual with Driver Assist Package. If I could get a manual further up the range I would have gone with that.

The driver assist packages adds so much for such a small outlay and greatly improves the driving experience with all the technology it adds.

Compared to other hatchbacks in its class, the Gold was much more refined drive and all the touch points in the vehicle felt better than a Japanese or Korean made vehicle.

It is my daily driver to work and play and I do about 1,000km a month. I am easily able to achieve 6.0L per 100km in sedate city driving and on a flat freeway that drops into the high 4.0s easily. It has just passed 4,000km and i’m about a quarter into my fifth tank of fuel. It is hugely economical.

The engine feels powerful and punchy combined with the ability to choose extra driving modes from the assist package, I have never once felt it being under powered.

The interior space is great in the front and rear for passengers and the seats fold flat revealing a huge cargo area.

I definitely recommend the Golf if you are looking for a hatch.

Generation: Mk.3 (1994-1998) Body: Hatch Badge: GL Transmission: Manual Engine Size: 2.0 Date Purchased: Aug 2016

Great little car.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2018

I bought my Golf 2 years ago and although I've had to spend money on it to fix a few things like air-conditioning and hood lining which I knew about when buying, it really has been a great car. I have the GL 2 Litre 5 speed manual model, it has plenty of power, corners well through the Adelaide Hills. I added a towbar and have been able to tow my 6x4 trailer with half a ton of firewood no worries. One thing in its favour is the previous 2 owners kept up all the scheduled servicing so this would have helped a lot. I use 95 octane fuel and I get approximately 630kms to the tank, no bad for a 20 year old car!!

Canberra

• 2 answers
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: R Transmission: Manual Engine Size: 2.0 Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Grrrreat!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2018

Upgraded from a 2016 Polo GTI to the Grid edition of the R (alacantra seats, analog dash) and I am very impressed. Much more space than the Polo, especially in the boot, and a real pleasure to drive. Very good performance yet can be tamed to be a comfortable commuter. I also got the driver assist pack and the sunroof, which both enhance the driving experience greatly. Only 1500 kms on the clock, so just broken in, but so far so good!

Private message

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Transmission: DSG Engine Size: 1.6 Date Purchased: Mar 2018

LOVE my Golf!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2018

I have had my Golf for about six months now and I love it! Its attractive, drives beautifully, and is super comfortable. I had originally driven a work GTi but could only afford the base TSI for my personal purchase, but I haven't been disappointed. It lacks a bit of a the grunt of the GTi, but for someone like me who is mostly doing the commute in traffic, that doesn't matter at all.

The CarPlay can be a bit buggy, but I'm hoping this will fix with a future Apple iOS update down the track.

Can recommend the Golf!

Sydney

• 8 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: Mk.5 (2004-2010) Body: Hatch Badge: R32 Transmission: DSG Date Purchased: Sep 2018

Love it little zippy r32

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

Always been skeptical of vws due to bad reviews from others. However I love my little hatch it's a powerful zippy bug, put your foot down and this thing roars! Keep the services up to date and up should have no issues. Dsg gearbox needs to be serviced every 60,000 kms which is a headache, but great car.

• 1 review
Private message

Generation: Mk.6 (2010-2012) Body: Hatch Badge: 118TSI Comfortline Transmission: DSG Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Feb 2018

Terrible!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2018

Had this car for 6 months and the gearbox started to shudder going between 1-2 gears. The dual clutch system was diagnosed to be faulty and was quoted 5k to fix!! Also blew a lot of oil from the turbo! Would never buy from Volkswagen again as they refused to fix either of the problems!

Private message

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: GTD Transmission: Automatic Engine Size: 1.6 Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Great little car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2018

It goes like a bat outta hell, spacious, smooth ride. Reliable, and stylish. was a brilliant car to learn it, was very easy to drive and easy to control. Great electronics system through the car, air con system could be a bit better and a way to get it into the backseat is needed.

Private message

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: GTI Transmission: Automatic Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Dec 2017

GTI an amazing car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2018

pros:
1) stylish and modern. but still has the classic golf body
2) gti is uper fast and zippy on the road. very little turbo lag
2) interior is fantastic especially if you choose the leather option. gives it a real luxury feel.

cons:
1) boot space is a bit small. however enough for couples and young family.
2) later models only have leather option with sunroof. this is costly.

Purchased at: Volkswagen Dealers

Melbourne

Private message

Generation: Mk.7 (2013-2017) Body: Convertible Badge: 118TSI Transmission: Manual Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Apr 2012

Repairs, Repairs and then more repairs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 03, 2018

My Golf was fantastic to drive right up to 4years old and 100,000 kms THEN it all started. Radiator, Timing Chain, Horn, Brake Master Cylinder, Clutch Master Cylinder and the list goes on and on. Its just gone in for a new clutch today. Always serviced on time, driven by 40+ yo parent adult.

Complained to VW but they wont answer any questions (5+ emails over several months).

Melbourne

Private message

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: 110TSI Highline Transmission: DSG Engine Size: 1.2 Date Purchased: Apr 2018

LOVE GOLF! Quality car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2018

Recently purchased my first golf brand new and i absolutely love it! I was looking for a good quality nice European car that was reliable and this car is fantastic! Great price for an upper class car! Purchased in Sydney because i couldn't get one in Melbourne for the same price

Brisbane

Private message

Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Hatch Badge: Comfortline Transmission: Automatic Engine Size: 1.6 Date Purchased: Nov 2016

BEST CAR IN THE WORLD

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

I purchased my brand new golf in Nov 2016! It’s the best car I have ever driven! I’m so inlove with it. It got the extra pack where it has lane assist which stops you from driving outside the lines on the highway. It can reverse parallel park itself!!!! It has sensors all around the car so you literally can’t run into anything, even if you tried the car will stop. It has a very good reverse camera, apple car play is amazing as well because Siri will read out your text messages and you can reply back just by talking back to Siri. The only down side to my golf is the colour! Don’t get white, i have to wash it once a week and for someone that did have a charcoal coloured car before hand and never had to wash it! It sucks I wish I got charcoal again but other than that it’s the best and very smooth to drive.

• 2 answers
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: Mk.6 (2010-2012) Body: Hatch Badge: 90TSI Transmission: DSG Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Apr 2015

DSG mechatronic and clutch pack issues are real

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

VW have scandalously got away with sub standard quality on the transmission on these vehicles and the ACCC seem to be toothless in forcing them to stump up for repairs.

Our model had all the recall work done on it and yet the mechatronic still failed and cost me $4000 to repair. VW offered me a complementary service ~ $450...

Now there is the shuddering at pull-off from standstill. Don't know if this means the already replaced clutch packs (under recall) are gone again or not. VW want $187 to do a road test on it! That's customer service for you! NOT.

Why is Ford being slugged $10M yet VW getting away scott free? Go figure....

I think the key here seems to be get rid of a new VW before warranty expires.

Brisbane

• 1 answer

Generation: Mk.7 (2013-2017) Transmission: Automatic Date Purchased: Jan 2015

Very nice car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

Commuter vehicle 12000k per year. Very comfortable. Surprisingly good acceleration. Nippy.
Big inside, the back is excellent for the size. Economical. Lots of headroom. Big boot
Reliable, not like the Mark6 118 I had before that was dreadful. So bad I got an I30, very happy to return to VW though I did pay for an extended warranty.
PROBLEMS - not too bad.
Feeble reversing lights, they are the tiny frosted strips in the cluster. Therefore the reversing camera is hopeless at night, when it might be useful.
Has some stupid software with the camera interfering with normal use.
Jumpy from start with the stop/start function.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: Mk.7 (2013-2017) Body: Hatch Badge: 92TSI Comfortline Transmission: DSG Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: May 2016

Not the most reliable car

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

This car has been disappointing - within the first 6 months of purchase the DSG gearbox decided to make some weird noises like a squealing noise - complained to the service department and a fault was lodge only to find that the clutch packs were damaged and required replacement. The replacement took 2 days thank goodness I was provided a loan vehicle.

Fast forward to 2 years - I would randomly drive and an error message would pop up on my dashboard which was so fast that I wasn't able to read it - took it in to get the error message scanned - it picked up that my gear selector was faulty and throwing an electrical fault to the on board computer thinking that my car was in P whilst it was in motion. Had to get the entire unit replaced - thankfully under warranty otherwise it would have cost over $2K

I would not recommend this car if you are planning to buy and keep the car for a long period of time such as over 6-10 years - if you are salary packaging or leasing it then why not - the car does drive well and comfortable - it has plenty of power and is very fuel efficient it is also a very refined car in it's category and feels very solid even at high speeds and in heavy wind and rain. You will also feel very secure to know that it is a very safe car and even safer if you bundle it with the safety pack.

Overall - only purchase this car if you are willing to fork out money for repairs or if you are planning to lease it or have it for a short term. Not a good choice if you are looking for a long term durable vehicle.

• 1 answer
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: Mk.7.5 (2017-2018) Body: Wagon Badge: Comfortline Transmission: DSG Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Best car for the money

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2018

Choosing between the Honda Civic, Hyundai i30, Toyota Corolla and the Golf based on price, we opted for a pair of golfs - one hatch and one wagon, so that we had a little more room when taking the kids away. What a fantastic car - plenty of welly with the DSG 7 speed transmission and 1.4l turbo, with virtually no gear change time perceptible, although a small amount of turbo lag, which is to be expected. I've recently discovered the Sport mode, activated by shifting down from Drive, which adjusts the gear changes to speed things up a little. The automatic gears, windscreen wipers, parking break and lights make this the easiest car to drive - I'm just worried that I'll forget how to drive a normal car. Fuel economy is fantastic - I regularly get 5.3-5.5l/100km on my commute, which is 80% on the M1 and 20% urban, and can get below 5.0 if there is no traffic. The screen is set into the dash, so looks much sleeker than the other options at this price point. Terrific car.

Adelaide

• 24 helpful votes
Private message

Generation: Mk.7 (2013-2017) Body: Hatch Badge: 110TSI Highline Transmission: Automatic Engine Size: 1.8 Date Purchased: Aug 2017

absolutely loving this car

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2018

bought my golf in Aug 17 and absolutely loving it.
it feels sporty and powerful. Interior feels very quality and comfort.
so far I have had any issue with it other than car key battery life is bit short. within a year, I have both batteries replaced for both keys.
Start is just a little bit sluggish but I guess coz of turbo engine. it is not as quite as I expect on a bit of bumpy roads but on high way it breezes thru.

Private message

Generation: Mk.7 (2013-2017) Body: Hatch Badge: 110TSI Highline Transmission: Automatic Engine Size: 1.4 Date Purchased: Mar 2016

Great car - not perfect but I love it.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2018

I really like this car. It feels sporty and has heaps of features that add to the comfort levels. I particularly like the heated leather seats, the steering wheel with lots of buttons that work the audio/entertainment/information system, the reversing camera and parking assistance system, as well as the overall look of the car. It is really economical.
One thing I don't like is how hesitant it feels when entering roundabouts or when I want to quickly turn across traffic. I assume the hesitation is a consequence of a fuel efficiency measure but it almost feels like a fault. I have learnt to drive around this issue but when my husband drives the car he hates this characteristic and he feels that it is dangerous. I have heard that it may be possible to have this fuel-saving feature removed by an auto-electrician after the warranty has expired. If it was more responsive off the mark, it would be the perfect car.

1 of 14 pages