Generations:

Brisbane

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Dec 2017

Wonderful vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2018

I found this site very helpful to help my wife and me to decide on which SUV to buy. (There are some pretty unflattering reviews of other SUVs that we had on our shortlist!). We took delivery of a new V6 TDI180kw/550nm Touareg a couple of weeks before Christmas. We then loaded it to the gunwales with gear for our new apartment in Adelaide and set off from Brisbane on New Years Day. Having just arrived in Adelaide, after 2100km in three days, I am delighted to say it was the most comfortable long trip we have ever done in a car. Even with such a heavy load (including a 56kg roof top camper), it drove beautifully; the air suspension on ‘normal’ soaked up the very average road surfaces incredibly well, and there was minimal body roll on bends; passing B-doubles was a cinch - just planted the foot, and the rolling acceleration with the 550nm was terrific- very safe to be able to spend the minimum amount of time on the wrong side of the road. My wife has lower back and upper leg problems but she found the seats gave her very good support and made the trip quite comfortable; the multitude of electric adjustments to the seat, and the memory, made it very easy for us swapping drivers. Being brand new, and so heavily laden, we were reasonably pleased with the 10l/100km fuel consumption. Based on our experience with an Audi A4 with a similar engine, we anticipate that rate will drop over time as the engine frees up. We are transitioning into retirement this year and intend to do some real off-road work with our new toy. I very much appreciated being able to read about other owners’ longer term experiences on this site and intend to provide an update of our experience further down the track.

January 12th 2018 Update: Return trip

I turned around and drove this wonderful vehicle back to Brisbane this week. How many cars can you drive for 8 hours a day for three days straight and not have a numb bum? The Touareg is incredibly comfortable. The 100 litre tank means you do a whole day’s driving without refuelling - so you have to develop other excuses to stop, for safety. I was a bit surprised that having dispensed with my huge load in Adelaide, it only dropped to 9.5l/100km. But the roof top camper is a drag, so that probably limited the potential for a drop in consumption. It used a bit of oil on the 4500km round trip, but other review sites indicate this is to be expected with a new car, and it should settle down with longer term use.

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V8 TDI R-Line Date Purchased: Jul 2017

adaptive cruise control

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2017

problem with adaptive cruise control at random turns off then at random turns back on
always works when car first starts then goes off other items change as well ie mirrors dont close
service centre no help been twice and they say there is nothing wrong that they can detect

• 6 answers
  • 66 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Jun 2017

Love it.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2017

Purchased this vehicle with a view to tow a caravan. Having only one vehicle in the house it had to be all things for all purposes. Great around town vehicle even though it is on the large size, fuel economy, comfort, handling is great, performance is excellent. Adaptive cruise is very nice feature & encourages one to use it more then standard cruise control.
Towing a caravan weighing over 2 tonne it performs beautifully. The air suspension is extraordinary. Space in the seating area is generous even for tall people, cargo space is good. The "Adventure" edition comes with a larger fuel tank which is very handy when travelling in out of the way places.
Downsides are space saver spare. It is not a skinny thing like many of these but does require inflating with the supplied compressor. So for remote travelling I would recommend a full size spare be carried, either in cargo area or the supplied roof racks fitted with a cage.
Only 1 bag hook in the cargo area. Last vehicle had 4 so I miss them when shopping. Overall very happy with the vehicle.

Mount Barker

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: Luxury Date Purchased: Nov 2016

Absolutely brilliant family vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2017

Excellent drive, loads of room for our young family with 2 small children. Very reliable and runs like a dream. For a 2004 model it feels very modern.
My only dislike is fuel usage but as we don’t take a lot of long trips it’s great for us. The car feels very stable on our country roads.

Sydney

• 1 comment

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V8 TDI R-Line Date Purchased: Sep 2015

ACC causes panic for NO reason!!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

I'm very happy with the vehicle.
Except the Adaptive Cruise Control has a random meltdown when passing large trucks in the overtaking lane.
The system detects the presence of the truck as I approach, then I change lanes to pass.
While maintaining set speed, progress past truck on the right side of the right lane, then randomly
at 90% or so with clear space ahead, collision avoidance goes mental for no reason.
Does any one have an explanation?

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I've heard for ACC interfering with radar detector systems overseas. But nothing about radar interfering with Adaptive Cruise Control. Does anyone know anything about radar jamming devices, and i... read more »

Melbourne, Victoria

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V8 TDI R-Line Date Purchased: Mar 2015

As good as it gets!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2017

I traded a V8 Landcruiser for my VW Touareg V8 TDI R-Line. The Touareg in all models is considered the German Jeep. Have now done over 30,000kms of country driving with some heavy towing. Have not regretted purchase for a second. This is the most amazing car I have owned. We use it mainly for long drives from our farm to Melbourne about 1100kms round trip. I really can't think how a large luxury SUV could be better. It is basically the same car, except for the bling and a bit of tweaking, as the Porsche Cayenne S V8 and the AUDI Q7 V8 but much less $. If you don't mind the VW badge (that for me is a plus since it does not attract as much attention). For a luxury high performance German built SUV it is amazing value. To get similar cars with similar power and inclusions in BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover, Porsche or AUDI, you pay MUCH, MUCH more $.

Driving this car is superb. Effortless power. VERY quiet. Smooth as silk. VERY comfortable. Huge interior space. VERY safe. Car has every conceivable safety feature and lots of airbags. An absolute pleasure to drive. Excellent fuel economy. Fully laden with 2 persons regularly get between 7.8 and 8.1 litres/100kms cruising at 100kph using cruise control. Pretend it is a sports car or towing and considerably more.

The specs on this car are amazing. 800Nm torque, adjustable air suspension (can raise as high as my 200 Landcruiser), 6 piston ventilated 360mm Brembo brakes at front (4 piston at rear), 8 speed auto, sport, normal and comfort modes, off road settings, centre diff lock, superb adaptive cruise control, heated seats, heated steering wheel, 360 degree cameras and parking sensors ......

Of course nothing is perfect. I wish it had speed limits on the excellent sat nav - amazing for a car at this price it does not (nor does the AUDI or PORSCHE). Even the base model GOLFs have this? It comes with huge 21 inch wheels. Excellent cornering but not much good off road or if you hit a deep pot hole (an expensive mistake). Also the tyres are hard to get and are expensive but again this is a high performance German SUV so it is part of the deal.

I have a 6 year extended warranty and fixed price servicing. Excellent. No issues or problems. One light globe in rear luggage area was replaced and that is it. I am still running the original tyres (maybe I will get 40-50,000kms?) and have the original brake pads (Last service suggested I replace them and the disks next year. Let's wait and see).

Servicing all good however the dealer was not very familiar with fitting electric brakes for a breakaway trailer (I tow a 2.2 tonne boat). I had to take it back to get it properly wired for the breakaway brakes. I found this surprising considering this is a very good 3.5 tonne rated towing car and over 2 tonnes you need breakaway brakes that require special wiring.

Amazing how much you can fit in the back with the seats down. A real plus it does NOT have a 3rd row of seats. I have never had 5 people in car let alone 7! For long distance cruising it is as good as it gets. It must be the most under rated luxury high performance SUV in Australia. I love it.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

O'Connor

• 1 comment
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Aug 2015

Excellent Car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

The Touareg is a fantastic car to drive, so smooth on the road and very economical. It has plenty of legroom and boot space. It gives you so much information about the car and the navigation system is great. I love the seat heaters couldn't live without them in winter.

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 FSI Date Purchased: Sep 2014

This is the best family vehicle I have ever drove.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2017

The breaking system of this vehicle is the best. It has its own style and elegance. It's smooth for a long drive and the speed this vehicle picks up at the signal is that it flies. It is comfortable and its quite spacious. There is easily a lot of space in the trunk in which I keep my bicycle. I'm driving this beast for the last 3 years and hardly any issues. Whatever the road it is the best because I have drove it even in rocky roads this is the best because there is a mode for different terrains. If you're planning to buy and in a confusion go for this because its performance on the roads makes it the best and its not so common in the roads. Even the parking sensors are really effective and its quite compact and it has a top speed of 280km/hr. I have drove upto 180km/hr and it was just too comfortable.It's too smooth which makes you get a ticket. Its fantastic and a all in one.

Generation: 7L (2002-2010) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Feb 2017

Awesome Vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2017

Great vehicle a pleasure to drive extremely comfortable tows our 2.7 tonne caravan with ease, has been averaging around 700 klm per tank of diesel city driving and around 800klm's highway driving.
I would highly recommend this vehicle for towing or general commuting to date I have had no mechanical issues.

Lismore

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Touareg, It's a Winner

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2017

Absolutely one of the best vehicles I have owned and driven. A fantastic vehicle to drive, especially around our rough country roads, the potholes are no longer a problem. Its early days yet but have completed a number of long distance trips and step out of the car feeling relaxed and comfortable. Heaps of legroom and head height for my 1920mm frame, even in the back seat.... a driving luxury

Bairnsdale

• 2 comments
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: 150TDi Element Date Purchased: Sep 2016

External windows trims faded

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 22, 2017

Good things:
The car are solid and handing excellent.

Bad things:
after two months we notice the rear window trim start to fade on both side.
we brought it back to Volkswagen dealers, they said we using abrasive product. so warranty won't cover for it.
now all around the other trim start to fade too. showing bare plastic.
poor quality trim.

Melbourne

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: Wolfsburg Edition Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Outstanding value and comfort

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2017

Great car to drive. Outstanding features and value for money. Leading driver safety systems, top end comfort and tier one fuel efficiency with ability to still provide a dynamic driver experience. Stereo and sound system provides quality outputs with ability to source from iPhone, radio, CD, and USB as well as a hard drive. I wouldn't consider going back to a BMW.

Port Macquarie

Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: 150TDi Element Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Great quality vehicle

4 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 17, 2017

The first thing I noticed was how quiet the car was, there is a feeling of the Touareg being strong and very powerful yet with minimal noise inside from the 3 liter diesel. The interior is very comfortable and well laid out, the only thing we found was it takes time to get used to the indicators and wiper controls are switched around compared to most other cars. Fuel economy is excellent, our first tank full (85ltrs) got us approx 1000kms, with a mixture of highway and city driving. It will also take time to get used to the stop/start feature, that being when stopped the engine switches off and start up when you release the brake, but this can be turned off. Overall I am very happy with the car and am yet to use it for towing our van. The 3.5 ton ability is another reason to consider the Touareg.

Hampton , Melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Jan 2012

EGR can be a problem and expensive

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 16, 2017

Excellent car but watch the EGR value /cooler clogging - very expensive to replace. VW told me that it clogs to due city short trip,driving. Hello ? Living in Melbourne what do we do ? OK occasional weekends away but really driving to work /shopping are pretty regular things. VW need to adjust settings to accomodate regular Australian driving. I have made a note to drive the car on the freeway once a month to "clean it out"

Sunshine Coast

• 1 question
Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: 150 TDi Date Purchased: May 2013

Quality motor vehicle

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2017

Always a joy to drive with excellent handling, cornering stability, sufficient acceleration with luxury leather interior. Quiet and powerful. Economical to run and service. 7.2 litres per 100k on a long trip Average $350.00 per year for services. Had to change tyres at 45,000 k's
Negative would be the spare tyre which is just an emergency tyre.
Bit tight to enter with the low roof line but got used to it.
Comfy electric leather seats.
Vehicle has been totally reliable so have taken out extended 6 year warranty after the 3 year warranty finished last year.

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: May 2016

The Ultimate Four Wheel Drive

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 03, 2017

I have been the owner and driver of numerous 4 wheel drive vehicles, including Range Rovers, Nissans and Toyotas, dating back to the 1970's and I can honestly say that the Touareg is the best vehicle of its kind I have ever owned. It runs quietly, towing our caravan with ease, and handles extremely well in all conditions. Its comfort, safety features and the finish , both interior and exterior, are of a high quality. Added to all of these luxury details it is also economical to run. To sum up, it's my "Super Car"!!

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: May 2016

Love that Car

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2017

This car has it all, beautiful to drive, adaptive cruise control is great as is the 360* view, so comfortable.
Panoramic sunroof. I love the way the seats move according to key used to open, the only thing that it doesn't have but should have is air conditioned seats. It tows our caravan like a dream.

Private message

Verified Purchase Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Best All-round SUV

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2017

I heard that VW sell these at a loss and and make up the difference with the Porsche and Audi variants. True or not my Touareg is a fantastic wagon. The performance is tremendous for an SUV through a combination of power (180kw/550nm) and the ultra smooth (8 speed) transmission. Handling is great, that being said, mine is an R-Line with slightly stiffer suspension and larger wheels (20 inch). The brakes are also very strong, too. I tow a 2.5 tonne boat up some steep winding hills (15% in places) and the Touareg handles it with ease. As a tow wagon it is much better than my Landcruiser. They actually have a larger wheelbase and track than a 200 series Landcruiser which keeps them very stable with a big load. It has many features (keyless entry, etc) and a good gps touchscreen infotainment system, the seats are really comfy and there is plenty of space. If you are looking for a luxury SUV that drives almost like a sports car and tows better than a Landcruiser for a price of a Prado then I suggest looking at one of these. Mine has now done 56,000km and has never had any issues whatsoever.

Purchased at: Volkswagen Dealers

brisbane

• 3 comments
  • 14 helpful votes

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: 150 TDi Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Touareg 2016 V6 TDI

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2016

Bought my Touareg new in September 2016 after owning 2 Nissan Navara utes for the last 8 years. I wanted something more comfortable than the ute and it needed to be able to pull our caravan. Unfortunately Nissan no longer make a diesel wagon that will tow 3 - 3.5t. I drove a Fortuner - too noisy and a hard ride. Drove the Pajero Sport and would have bought one if the dealer had wanted to do a deal. The Touareg however is in another league. Very comfortable, well equipped and plenty of torque for towing and grunt for overtaking from the lovely six cylinder diesel. To drive, you wouldn't know it was a diesel as its so quiet. Fuel consumption averages 7.4 litres/100km but on the highway i can get down to 6.1 and over 1000km from a tank full. Towing our 2.8t van, it drops to 13 - 14 litres/100km.
With the seats folded down, i got a full sized hot water tank in it so plenty of carrying space. The rear seats slide forward to increase the boot space, but they also slide back and recline to improve passenger comfort. Never thought heated seats were an attractive option in Queensland but they are great for a bad back. Its done 11,000km now and so far so good. Hope the servicing from VW is as good as the service i received from Nissan. Watch this space for an update.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Generation: 7P (2011-2018) Badge: V6 TDI Date Purchased: Sep 2014

Best car I've ever owned.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2016

Have been driving euro cars for many years including Mercedes ML320 and BMW X5 and can honesty say the Touareg is in a class of its own, not that it doesn't have its niggles, but very minor. Powerful and smooth with amazing fuel consumption, have now covered 50,000 Kim's with an average fuel consumption on the highway around 7.2lts per 100 Kim's, best was 6.8lts, that has to put a smile on your dial. Seats and interior is comfy with easy to use instrumentation, Service costs are actually cheaper that my Father in laws Mitsubishi ASX. Highly recommended.

1 of 3 pages