Model: 170L (648170) Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Vulcan freeloader 170 swap with old one no pipe work required. 1 hr job . total price $1700 dollars

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2017

Old model lasted 13 years without anode change out. Went with storage system again for extra heat up to 70 degC - continuous gas heaters cheeper to run but was told only good for 50 deg C . Not hot enough for washing greasy dishers. I hope this new model last as long as the old. As it cost twice as much i am hoping it will last twice as long. Bunbury Hot Water and Gas - bunbury WA

Perth WA

Model: 170L (648170) Date Purchased: Jan 1997

Twenty One Years Old and Still Going Strong!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2017

Vulcan Freeloader Model 260 Gas Mains Pressure Outdoor Model Storage HWS: Manufacture Date 12/12/1996; So far have changed the Magnesium Anode regularly (three) at regular intervals of 6 or 7 years. No problems with the Gas Burner or Pilot Light. No problems with the Thermostat; No problems with the Pressure Relief Valves (Hot & Cold) or Yorkshire Fitting. (I'm a technical man and release the Relief Valves periodically to Gush-out the muck).
***Slight problem with the Non-Return Valve at Cold water Inlet (***verdigree ceased and could not shut-off) Changed it on 27th March 2017 $ 32.45 GST included. The Magnesium Anode last replaced 27/03/2017 $ 58.30 GST included.
This Gas Storage HWS has been reliable for a family of FIVE plus 3 grandchildren throughout many years including number of Guests. Originally manufactured by Southcorp.
Capacity has been sufficient throughout - i.e. Never ever ran out of Hot Water.

Model: 170L (648170) Date Purchased: Feb 2017

So far so great!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2017

Our Dux Sun Pro finally died.
Our plumber recommended the Vulcan. Had it for a few weeks and it's been excellent so far. it was a quick changeover for the plumber and the water has been beautifully hot and ever so reliable. Made by Rheem now but because it is badged as Vulcan at the Rheem factory it's s little less expensive.

Model: 135L (648135) Date Purchased: Jul 2014

Vulcan Tough? Not mine!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 01, 2017

The Vulcan website blurb states that Vulcan is "tough and built with the best".
Well, not the one I have!
After only 2 1/2 years the pilot light went out and would not re-light. Called the plumber who installed it and it was a failed thermocouple. Very poor quality to fail after such a short time - and of course warranty on parts is only 12 months. From other reviews this seems a common problem. Our old hot water service lasted over 12 years. I wouldn't buy Vulcan again.

• 1 helpful vote

Poor Vulcan Quality

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 08, 2016

I've had the product 2 years. Recently had the issue where the pilot light would not stay alight. Had to call Vulcan maintenance who installed a new thermocouple.
Website proudly displays "5 year warranty" but surprise....this only covers the cylinder.
Repair cost me $170. This is poor after just 2 years of use.
The maintenance guy said this was "very unusual" but reviews on this website indicate otherwise.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

Vulcan vs Vulcan Rheem

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 28, 2015

Our 2000 Vulcan 135 Freeloader has worked brilliantly. Now showing signs we need to have it replaced. Suggested to us were Rheem Stellar and Rheem Aquamax but I was unimpressed with reviews. Thought I should stick with what has worked well for us, namely Vulcan. Discovered that Vulcan has been bought out by Rheem. Interestingly, the reviews of Vulcan Freeloader have been excellent (as is my experience too), but only for people who have had them many, many years (as have I). I notice that the more recently-purchased reviews, presumably since having been bought out by Rheem, are not consistently positive. Could this be a coincidence?

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes

Goodbye, farewell ...

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2015

After 20 grateful years, our Vulcan Freeloader 260 has finally given up the ghost. No pilot light that would or could be relit. The only issue a gas line one 2 years ago. I hope we have as much luck with the new one. Reviews sound rather debatable since Vulcan were bought out by Rheem...

Wyong

• 8 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Inferior Trash

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2014

Had this piece of garbage for two years
Started having problems only days after the 1 year warranty that they give you on this poor excuse for a Hot Water System
Pilot light constantly going out and is rusting
Our gas fitter could not believe the state that the internal parts were in considering its age
He said that he replaces the Vulcans quite often different brand systems
We are fed up with this piece of trash and we are having it replaced with a Rinnai continuous Gas hit water system
It's made in Japan and comes with a 3 year/12 year warranty
Our gas fitter said that these Vulcan hot water systems are the worst on the market
Be warned do not purchase one
Other people we know who also have these Vulcans are also having them replaced

+ Zero Complete trash

- Everything

Newcastle

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Vulcan gas hot water failed after only 3 years

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2013

The pilot light won't stay on plus Rheen can't respond for 4 days to fix it and want to charge $132 just to attend. This is a quality issue with the pilot light on newer Vulcan systems. Also I wonder if anyone working at Rheem would like to go without hot water for 4 days (tell my 4 daughters)! Totally unacceptable!!!!

- Poor quality, pathetic service

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

All fixed!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2012

As an update to my previous review. Had the pilot light serviced and now it is no longer blowing out daily. Still going strong!!! I love it!!!

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 21 helpful votes

13 months installed and now broken out of warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2012

We have been in our brand new house for 13 months and now our Vulcan 135l water system is broken, I called the Vulcan Rheem service warranty line and spoke to a lady to find out I have to pay $132 just for them to come out! As it only has a 1 year warranty, Then I have to fork out for parts!!!!! I explained what the problem was (pilot light switching off every day) to the lady and asked what she might think is wrong with it, she was very unhelpful and just wanted to hang up, I work for a leading retail company and I will definitely NOT be recommending this product to anyone!!!!

- Bad warranty service, broken in 13 months

21 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Dont argue with phone people,they are trained to explain charges to you,allow a service tech to come out and if its a known problem they would have fixed it under warranty at 13mths. phone centre p... read more »

We used have the Vulcan gas hot water system working very well for 10 years as it was said by the warranty.After it broken down so we changed another same Vulcan but the quality of this one has pro... read more »

I just replaced my 125 litre electric vulcan hot water system today after 12 years of continuous service feeding at time upto 5 people. A company came over within 2 hours and installed it for $1,... read more »

• 7 answers
  • 24 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2012

It is now 16.5 yrs old and had a 10 yr warranty. Still going strong but looking to replace as it must be nearly time to retire.

+ It always worked and we never had a problem

- nothing to dislike

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2012

I don't see any reason to look to another product when this has served us so well. Price is very reasonable approx $950 for a 135L unit. $32/yr is fine by me.
Thanks Vulcan for making a great product.
Look forward to another thirty years.

+ Our Vulcan Freeloader 110L is about to celebrate it's 30th Birthday. Still going like a true champion, recently the pilot light is going out,slight water leak and rust is starting to take over. So its time for a new Vulcan. Extremely happy with quality and performance servicing a family of five. Highly recommended.

- No cons for Vulcan Freeloader.
No problems to report.
My experience has been excellent.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 14 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2012

this was a good unit that served us well for almost 12 years.
the pilot light is at the base of the unit and if it went out for any reason you would only find out about it when the water ran cold.
towards the end of its life it tried to let us know that there was a problem. whenever you turned the hot water on it would run rusty for a few seconds. after about a month of this, on a saturday evening, it just started leaking hot water everywhere!!
lucky it was an outdoor unit.
these units came with either a 7 or a 10 year warranty and I think ours was a 7 year warranty.

+ worked well for 12 years.

- gas pilot cut out once or twice and left us with cold water.

18 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2012

135L more than enough hot water for two of us.
I cannot believe it has lasted this long. Had expected about 8 years.
Rusty water for about the past 3 months has flagged its dying moments.
Will be replacing our home HWS with Vulcan again, if price is not too extreme.
I accept we only get what we pay for, no such thing as good and cheap!

+ Good price + have installed 3 in my rental properties.
One here at home has just died today after 15 years. Confirmed with our original AGL invoice.

- Relighting the pilot-light is a challenge, not easily visible, and at times very temperamental.
Solution: About 4 years ago I punched the peep hole out and covered it with gaffa tape.
In fairness I can count the blow-outs on one hand during the life of the unit.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

I wish they were still made by Vulcan and NOT Rheem

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2012

My Vulcan Freeloader has been in use continuously since 1991 (it is now 06/11) and is still going strong in my house, which is used as a rental property. I have never had any issues with it, other than poor placement for kitchen use, but it comes through instantly hot to the en-suite, which is how it should be for the wage earner.
Compared to my new husband's Rheem Off-Peak, that the bottom fell out of after less than 8 years service (5 year warranty) and the new VERY expensive Rheem heat pump HWS, which didn't work when it was first installed and has since had four repair callouts in the first 5 months, including a manufacturer re-call repair. I would definitely buy another "Vulcan" Freeloader, but NOT a Rheem Freeloader.

+ Totally reliable, cost effective, maintenance free, set it and forget it.

- I'll agree with others about the difficulty seeing the pilot light, on the rare occasions I needed to shut it down, for holidays and short breaks between tenants.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2010

This has served our family well for over 10 years. Easy to change to low level gas when going on holidays. Highly recommended.

+ Very reliable system. No problems cropped up. Do need to get the anodes replaced like any other hot water system.

- Restarting the pilot light is a hassle if it blows out, but not often. Involves crawing around at the bottom of the system looking for the right buttons. The auto-spark didn't work after about 5-6 years.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2009

A good and solidly made unit that responds well to the occasional cleaning of the casing (I use car polish/cleaner). It still looks quite smart but there is a little rust on the exhaust casing.

+ We have a Freeloader. Model:6904. Serial No: 11008091. I understand it must be about 15 years old. Can its true age be traced from the above data? It has always been very reliable and I have no complaints about performance. BUT would like to know how much longer I can expect it to work: can anyone help please?

- A bit difficult to start up after leaving it switched off. I have to remove side cover to be sure the pilot flame is burning.