Melbourne

• 6 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: WVE916SA Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Extremely Well Designed and Huge Capacity

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2017

This oven (and its Electrolux cousin made in the same Australian factory) has the largest internal volume (125l) and width (750mm) capacity on the Australian market - and probably the world market. I checked at a large appliance store - Gaggenau, Miele, Smeg, Bosch and numerous others - and none of them come close. There was one Miele oven with a reasonably wide internal rack/shelf (700mm vs the Westinghouse 750mm), but its internal height was much lower, which is a real nuisance if you want to cook something high like meat/roast/turkey etc. with something else in the oven at the same time. And price - these European ovens range from 50% more to double to four or even five times the price of the local unit. And their spares and service - if you can get it for some European brands - are priced accordingly. My sparky hates fixing European ovens because their parts are so hard to obtain - and often super expensive - eg. Smeg gas cook top spark igniter $450, $600 fitted. You can buy a new cook top for that price.

The house I recently purchased was originally fitted with a 3 year old Italian brand 90cm wide (externally) oven - but its controls were on the side and its internal capacity was only 70 litres. I also needed a warming space for Christmas dinners etc., so I purchased two Westinghouse WVE916SAs and I am very happy with the results. I like baking bread, and with the new ovens I can easily cook full size (750mm long) baguettes and large loaves without any problems. Impossible with any other domestic oven.

This is a very well designed oven - it should be a candidate for an Australian Design award in my opinion. The cabinet airflow system works extremely well. It draws cool air in from a slot at the bottom and discharges the cabinet cooling air through a wide slot 115mm down from the top of the oven. The warm air discharge slot does not extend close to the edges of the metal oven cabinet in any direction. This means that the kitchen timber cabinetry - including the front decorative panels - never gets even warm. This is a sensitive issue with me as I had to replace a couple of vinyl wrap cabinet panels that had de-laminated around the edge by heat from the previous, less well designed, European oven. I have run the new oven up to 250 deg. C and felt the metal oven cabinet with my hands through a kitchen cupboard slot near the rear of the oven. It remains cucumber cool due to the wide tangential cabinet fan (yes, being an engineer, I was curious and removed the top panel from the oven - only a few screws - and looked inside it). Because of its large size and slow speed, this is the quietest oven cabinet fan I have heard. It is hard to understand the complaints of noise from some other reviewers - perhaps their fans had been damaged/stressed in transit and were rattling?

The dual oven cavity fans are also very large and slow revving - so they are very quiet as well. The cabinet fan remains running for a few minutes after the oven is turned off in order to keep the cabinet cool during the cool down cycle - this is normal for most modern ovens and this one sounds about as loud as my fridge - so I do not find it at all annoying - just a gentle low hum for a few minutes.

The controls are all electronic capacitive touch panel type (like a smart phone). The controls are very simple and intuitive and the mode button displays the various oven element and fan configurations via a small graphic for each mode as it is selected. I had it up and running with the clock set in 30 seconds after the power was first connected to the oven. An electronic clock start/stop timer is also provided as part of the panel.

The oven has 5 electric heating elements - top element, bottom element, two fan elements and grill element - all fully controllable by the touch panel. Mode 1 is the fast warm-up mode - which runs the fan elements and top elements together. Warm-up time was shorter than I expected for such a large oven. The display also tells you the current cavity temperature as the oven is warming up. A handy feature for bread baking is the very accurate temperature control and display. I can set any of the oven heat modes to 35 or 40 deg C and then I have an accurate temperature controlled proving cabinet for proving bread. Very handy compared to the rough, inaccurate, old electro-mechanical thermostats of the past that would not give such fine control for such low temperatures. It also has a food defrost (fan only?) mode that I have used for defrosting fish quickly. Much better than the microwave as it doesn't cook the edges of the fish as it defrosts it.

As far as general cooking of cakes, biscuits, meat, fish etc., the oven performs very well and cooks very evenly as expected due to the dual fans and fan elements I expect. Being a bread baker, I am very fussy about which element I have running at what time and whether I am exposing the bread to radiant heat or convection (fan element) heat. During bread/baguette baking, this can be critical. I use the "pizza" setting initially to create steam via the bottom element and baking trays with some water in them located at the bottom of the oven, with the two fan elements also running to keep the oven at a very hot 250 deg. C. After about 10 minutes the bread oven spring phase is over, so I change to the fan elements only to continue the bake and crisp up the crust.

The triple door glass is very easy to remove and clean via simple catches and completely cold during operation - so safe for the kids. The whole door can easily be removed if necessary via a couple of clips - which is standard for ovens these days. There is also a child lock on the control panel for the under bench situation.

My only "complaint" - it's more of a wish really - Westinghouse have a "steam assist" oven in the 60cm wide range, but no steam assist for the larger ovens. Steam assist would be handy for baking baguettes in the wide oven. "Proper" French baguette bakers use large commercial multi cavity "deck ovens" with steam injection to obtain the familiar crisp, shiny crust - not a real option for a domestic kitchen even if you could afford one. For now at least I will use the baking trays with some water in them and the bottom element heat source (pizza mode) as a steam generator.

Aesthetics - I like minimalist aesthetic design, so the very uncluttered and minimalist flat stainless panels, flat glass and controls very much suit my taste also. And it's easy to clean - yay.

Speaking of cleaning - the cavity fan surrounds have a "pyrolytic" coating and are therefore "self cleaning". The oven interior is just gloss ceramic enamel. However, I have had this oven cavity finish before and found it very easy to clean as long as I wipe it out a few times a year. So it is my preferred choice in any case.

Too much information? Sorry, but I am very impressed with this oven. I like to see a well designed product - especially if it's a local one. A lot of thought has gone into this design.

In summary, it's a great oven, huge capacity, very sophisticated engineering and aesthetic design, great value (low price) and made in Australia so that you can easily obtain spares if need be. And you can support what is left of Australian manufacturing industry.

No - I don't work for Westinghouse :)

Smithton

Model: WVE916SB Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Stylish and Functional

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2017

This oven not only looks great but it cooks great! Has different function modes so you can automatically choose what suits your food type. Has fast heat up which is awesome in saving time when in a rush. Its large capacity is great for big families or even small families. Best function is the pyrolitic self cleaning, everyone hates cleaning the oven especially after fatty, splattering roasts. This function can be used and at the end of its cycle you just simply wipe away a tiny bit of white powdery ash....sooo easy. I are not the best cook and this oven is fool proof. I love it.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Atwell, Wa

• 2 helpful votes

Model: WVE916SB Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Great oven- really impressed.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2017

This oven was standard inclusion when we built our house, really impressed with it. Cooks a mean roast - setting one applies heat from the top plus fan forced heat - always makes great pork crackle on that mode! Love the width, can fit 6 pizzas in at once. Plenty of room. Also like the auto modes - you can set start time and finish times - great time saving feature. Impressed! Looks fancy too with the digital touch screen display.

• 2 helpful votes

Love at first bake

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 25, 2015

Have only had this oven for a short while now, but i am so impressed with it. All our meals come out perfectly cooked and the ample space provided within the oven is perfect to cook different components on the same level and get an even spread of heat. The oven itself is so simple to use, the settings are pretty self explanatory for what cooking process they should be used in and i love the digital screen to display temperature, i am able to get a far more accurate temp and you really can tell how it affects your cooking. Another positive is how well this oven holds heat, I've experienced many large ovens that just cannot hold heat but this Westinghouse oven is perfect.

Private message

Love the oven AND the service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2015

Love my oven!
Had an issue with 'safe' mode called Customer Service and they were more than happy to help.
When they couldn't help me over the phone they organised to send a technician out.
Prior to their call out I had to change my day and time and once again Customer Service were more than happy to help.
This morning a technician name Chris arrived.
He was extremely helpful well mannered and dressed.
He fixed the issue then asked if I needed to know anything else is regards to the use or cleaning of the oven then proceeded to show me how to clean and look after my oven. Customer Service told me that the technician would call before he arrived and I he did.
I received a phone call 20 minutes before he arrived.
All in all the service from Eltrolux from Customer Service to Chris the technician and the over itself has been fantastic!
A very happy customer here!

melbourne

• 3 comments
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

do yourself a favour buy this oven

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2014

firstly I would like to say buy this oven
I renovate for a living I have seen plenty of different ovens installed
European brands etc
but also seen plenty of people unhappy with these for being so hard to use
that is why they mostly offer a course on how to use them
and if something goes wrong good luck
this is the largest internal capacity 900cm oven on the market it is huge
triple glazed glass and heats magnificently I am the cook in the family and am male as well
I love pizzas and I have never experienced such a great finished product when I have made my own pizzas and I don't make traditional I stack mine high they are with the lot and are with the lot
the programs are simple to use and easy to decipher
we also have a 60 cm Westinghouse in the butlers pantry and that is great too for small cooking
as I said do yourself a favour forget brand snobbery and buy the final Australian made oven

Perth

• 4 comments
  • 17 helpful votes
Private message

Sturdy, big and does what it's supposed to do

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2013

As my title says! Very happy with this Westinghouse. Was initially worried about it as it wouldn't be my preferred brand of oven but we didn't want to upgrade on the builders choices. And so glad we didn't!! I am much happier with this one then my previous large - fancier brand oven.
Just one of the great points is the 'fast heat up' function. It really is fast :)
No hesitation in recommending this one at all.

- Nothing (although I wish a little genie would come after every use and wipe it clean for me)

sydney

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

HUGE oven with GREAT features - we LOVE IT!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2013

We bought this (very) large oven as part of a kitchen update (not a reno - new cooktop, oven and rangehood)... it is HUGE! Our family does a lot of cooking and this oven is amazing. It has great programs - we made home-made pizzas that cooked the tops and crisped the bases - pefect! Slow cooking is also easy - it has a stack of ready-to-use programs with different temps/heat sources for different cooking techniques - but these are all adustable and customisable as well - just tweak the temp or the time. Install is really only a bit fiddly - it is an extra half-cupboard wide. I did the cabinetry after the electrican installed it, and I'm no real DIY man! Has a lot of "gee that's a great idea" features... light on when cooking (don't open door), can remove door glass to clean, fits 2 grill trays (cook meat and fish seperate), very few controls but would be almost impossible for kids to put on (needs certain button presses), has fast heat-up option, catalytic cleaning and more... we are VERY HAPPY with this oven!

+ huge capacity, great and simple operation, stacks of other features

- nothing

Purchased at: Home Clearance

very happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2013

I'm very happy after a few hick up's along the way finally got her working and love it had great staff help with our problems fast response to getting someone out and can't complain at all I now am able to cook for more people at once without food going cold

+ much bigger

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Melbourne

• 1 question

Model: WVE916SB Date Purchased: Aug 2015

Long Research But Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

Ok, l have had my Westinghouse oven for 18 months+ now and l cook for four and myself, yes (5) plus extras everynight or quite often. I researched a lot of wall ovens and found the reviews and 'Choice' tests were spot on. I am a self confessed over researcher when it comes to products but that's my way and l'm sure a lot of you guys are the same.
Good points- Cooks well, MASSIVE space especially for a big family like mine, l got the 900 not the 600.
Bad points- Takes a long time to heat up even with the FHU (fast heat up) option and noisy and time consuming once turned off as well as taking a long long time to disengage once turned off. Seems a lot of heat disburses once turned off heating up the kitchen.
Overall this oven is spot on for space you will not find another on the market for the price that offers the same features, although lots on the market all the time. I wanted to wait a period of time before reviewing this appliance but l trust the Westinghouse brand and have had no problems thus far. Please note l have bought other product/ models ie:- ovens, washing machines, dishwashers etc over a 30 year period such as Miele, Smeg both quality at the time l purchase them. Also l have had my share of low grade appliances as well so don't think l have just invested in high priced items.
Overall, check out Westinghouse first and do your research. Good Luck

• 3 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Exploding Glass

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 27, 2014

We got this about 6 months ago as part of our new house and like others say it has been a joy to use. However today the inner glass just exploded when we were doing normal cooking with it. We suddenly are doubtful if this was a good choice to make. Especially if the glass would explored with a sizable bang so early into its life. We have kids around the house and now fear the day when both glasses will explored with the attendant danger of causing serious injury. We will test the service quality of westinghouse and see how they handle our case.

+ Big, attractive, stylish and a good performer so far.

- The inner glass just explored when we were doing normal cooking.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Westinghouse Official

Hi Mkhethwa2 Sylvia from Electrolux here. Electrolux will be able to assist you with this query. Can you please email me your contact details at customercare@electrolux.com.au attention Sylvia... read more »

I have Westinghouse bild in but im not sure if the light is ment to be always on when cooking

Westinghouse Official

Hi Jenny Jovan Marina from Electrolux here. Electrolux will be able to assist you with this query. Can you please email me your contact details at customercare@electrolux.com.au attention Marina... read more »

Brisbane

• 2 comments
  • 3 helpful votes

Model: WVE916SB Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Takes ages to Heat up and Model is not Flush with the cabinet

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

Takes ages for it to heat up. Light is off when the food is getting cooked. Over all its just an average owen. The front panel is not flush with the cabinet and it sticks out. Technician said it is the way they are designed. Westinghouse customer service is excellent.

Mandurah

• 3 comments

Model: WVE916SB Date Purchased: Oct 2017

Really disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2017

Just moved in to a new build house. Used 2 of the hobs maybe three times each. Cleaned once with wet cloth and stainless steel wipe and hob all tarnished. Oven working ok and as a whole it looked great. Have never had a hob tarnish before. So disappointed with it.

Purchased at: Celebration Homes

EXPLODING GLASS

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2016

I bought this product Nov 2013 and have been cooking in it successfully until now. Just this morning when baking a loaf of bread at 200 deg, within 10mins of putting the tin in the oven, I heard an almighty explosion coming from my oven. I was standing in front of the door only a few seconds before. The inner glass door shattered completely into pieces and it also scattered glass onto the floor in front of the oven. Very dangerous to say the least. From reading other reviews it's obvious this has happened to other owners of this product. I do ask the question, does this fault have the potential to cause serious injury or fatality to a person? If I had a small child in the facinity of the oven when it exploded they could have quite easily been showered with glass. I had no choice but to shut the power off at the main power board in frear that the other door may explode too and have the potential to cause a fire or damage to other property. Has anyone experienced this issue and what was the outcome when you came to make a claim?

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Westinghouse Official

Hi Cook, Leslie from Electrolux here. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have raised about the Westinghouse WVE916SA. If you wish to discuss this further please feel f... read more »

Westinghouse Pyro clean - Very Disappointing Purchase

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2015

On the whole the oven cooks well although we do have an issue with the stove top BTU being not strong enough for cooking stir fry. Our major complaint is that we have had two issues with the oven in three years. It has been costly, we had to pay for 2 service calls plus a part on this last occasion totally nearly one third the cost of the oven new. Our last oven was a different brand and we had no need of a service call in over 10 years. Though the new part fitted today is guaranteed for 12 months, if there is a problem after 3 months we have to pay another $150 for a service call.
Despite extensive research prior to purchase, we feel very disappointed and would never recommend anyone buy this product. I won't consider purchasing any other Westinghouse products in the future.

Dissapointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2015

Most of the oven has been ok but my biggest problem is I can't use bake every time I do it smokes out the house it's horrible also the bulb has blowen and there difficult to find we have only had the oven maximum 18 months This is disappointing :(

Comments
Westinghouse Official

Hi Funny Farm , Catherine from Electrolux here. We are sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your Electrolux appliance. If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: WVE916SA Date Purchased: Oct 2013

Exploding glass on Westinghouse oven!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2017

The glass on our oven has just spontaneously exploded - it's a mere 4 years old but of course out of warranty. This is not good enough. It seems to be a very common problem and I'm very unhappy. We've recently undertaken other extremely costly repairs, after it kept cutting out while cooking. Very unhappy!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Westinghouse Official

Hi Carolyn Linda from Electrolux here. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have raised about the oven door. If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to cont... read more »

While Westinghouse was brilliant initially, sending someone out the next working day, the oven is still not fixed, with the glass on back order! We have not had a working oven now for 8 days and st... read more »

Wollongong/Perth

Model: WVE916SA Date Purchased: Nov 2015

Another case of Exploding glass! (WVE916SA)

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2017

Like some other comments this oven was installed in a newly built house as part of the build contract by Redink homes and the Tenant moved in Dec 2014. A few days ago the glass exploded and now Westinghouse have said that they will not fix it as its out of warranty. Clearly looking at these comments there is an issue with this model and the glass.

Under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), automatic consumer guarantees apply and the ACCC website states that these consumer guarantees apply regardless of any warranties and apply for a reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services. Essentially this means that the consumer guarantees may continue to apply after the time period for the warranty has expired.

Surely an oven is expected to last longer than 2 years and surely its expected to be of high enough quality such that it doesn't have safety issues like exploding glass?

Hopefully someone can assist in resolving this issue.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Westinghouse Official

Hi Bruno, Leslie from Electrolux here. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have raised about the Westinghouse WVE916SA. If you wish to discuss this further please feel f... read more »

Hi Leslie, Thank you for your comment. I have sent an email but are yet to receive a reply. Could you please follow this up.

Yanchep

Model: WVE916SA Date Purchased: Nov 2015

WESTINGHOUSE WVE916SA - Exploding glass

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2017

This oven was installed in a newly built house as part of the build contract - moved in Dec 2015. Before tonight I would have given it a 4 - 5 star as I loved my oven, and it still looked like new. But the glass all of a sudden exploded while there was a joint roasting in the oven at 180C. It was such a shock, but I'm just thankful that no-one was hurt. Not really sure where to go from here to be honest - I will have to get in touch with Westinghouse and will be sure to report back.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Westinghouse Official

Hi MalSannie, Leslie from Electrolux here. If the issue you have raised is still not resolved at this time, can you please email me your contact details at customercare@electrolux.com.au attention ... read more »

Thanks..... our builder RedInk was on it straight away and got a response before I did from Westinghouse who fixed it for free about 2 weeks later.

WVE 615S Extremely poor product. Non existent customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2015

Can't agree more with all you have to say on this. I have had nothing but NON SERVICE from Electrolux. Oven replaced, but 2nd oven has same problem. Shelves sit scew in oven. Oven rails not level. Service man came twice and was extremely rude telling me he would contact the office about contining problem " at my own leisure"! I cantacted them again and client services supervisor booked a service call by " technical supervisor " . Serviceman didn't turn up! Complained again, but I'm still waiting from promised call back. Don't have anything to do with this company.

Comments
Westinghouse Official

Hi Esther,

Leeanne from Electrolux here.
We are sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with your Electrolux oven. If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact Leeanne at customercare@electrolux.com.au
Leeanne