Perth

• 17 answers
  • 49 helpful votes

Not worth the effort

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2014

I wouldn't bother reading this book I have the newer updated edition it is so desperately basic and doesn't not contain even 10percent of the info needed when pregnant. and to top it off a lot of the statements are outdated or completely false ! Written by a moron clearly for example apparently the hair on the baby inutero is to keep it warm! Far better off to find a book from the 80s there are many out there !

- Basic brain dead information. False misleading comments

craigieburn, victoria

• 48 helpful votes
Private message

A must have book during pregnancy

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2012

What to Expect when You Are Expecting is a great book to read and have during pregnancy.It is very well written and explains everything in detail month by month .It has a proper index which makes it easy to locate a particular topic.
It covers almost all the important topics . From trying to conceive to month by month development of pregnancy, what to do & not to do ( what precautions are needed during pregnancy) & what to eat and what not to. It also tells us what types of tests can we expect during pregnancy and during which month.
Me and my husband both loved reading week to week updates,which tells you what to expect in the coming weeks. This book answers all the questions you really wanted to know. I liked the summary at the end of each month, which tells us what the baby is able to do now being in the womb and the chances of survival if it comes out early.

+ Month by month guide to pregnancy , well written and explains everything.

• 11 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2011

Definately the book you want if you are after information- which I craved during pregnancy; most comprehensive book I found. Good to look up index for specfic concerns
Make sure you have the most recent edition for accuracy-2009 (picture at top of review is an older edition)

+ Jam packed full of information
Good comprehensive sections on selected issues

- Style can be a bit dull. A more attractive layout/ font would really help- try reading the labour section in one sitting
I would have preferred headings to the "question/answer", questions weren't really natural sounding
A bit too American for an "Australian Edition"

• 7 answers
  • 50 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2010

I was given and read alot of pregnancy books and for some reason this one did not appeal to me. I found the writing style lacked personality and was perhaps a bit dated, actually it is a little like being at school. However, it does contain alot of information that is trustworthy and useful as a reference guide but did very little in inspiring me about being a parent.

+ Factual reference guide. Information-rich

- I found this book a bit dull and the layout was not appealing for easy reading. It felt a little old-fashioned in its writing style and overly serious.

Huntleys Cove, NSW

• 1 answer
  • 64 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2010

I have an older edition of this book but looking at the new one I think most of the same things would be true.

+ Very comprehensive covering most topics you could think of. I like the question and answer format it frequently uses throughout. Organised according to the stages of pregnancy so good to read in bite size chunks if that's all you have time for.

- A little too strict at times (for example regarding weight gain) - whilst the information may be factually correct I'm not sure how helpful the tone is with these sorts of issues. Doesn't cover pregnancy loss/stillbirth at any length.

• 11 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2010

This book was great! It gives so much information. I loved it as it told me symptoms and what I could or could do about them as well as important things to prepare for. It made me feel like I had a concise understanding of what myself and my partner where going through. This is a read as you go book, like a how to guide - it lived on my bed side table for when I needed answers to the many questions we had.

+ Fantastic...I read this the whole way through my pregnacy and during the first month or so after having my daughter

• 2 answers
  • 28 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2010

I was given this book second hand and I did refer to it a lot during my pregnancy as things progressed but found myself getting a bit bogged down with the medical information. I had a relatively easy pregnancy so while things were going good I was quite happy to enjoy the time without worrying about the what if's. That being said it was nice to have a reference for things if needed. It is a very comprehensive book which raises and answers lots of questions that many women may have during pregnancy. For those who like to know exactly what is happening (or what may happen) step by step throughout their pregnancy, this is a great book to have on hand.

+ Lots of information for expecting mums. Answers many of the common questions and deals with many issues that occur during pregnancy.

- For me, I found some of the information to be a bit much. I would rather not know about all the things that could go wrong during a pregnancy it just creates worry unnecessarily. I guess its just a take it or leave it situation. Read what you feel comfortable with and skip the rest.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 26 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2010

This book had good coverage of a lot of information. I loved reading it throughout my pregnancy and found it answered all of my questions. I would definitely recommend it to any expectant mother out there.

+ I loved this book and followed it through my whole pregnancy. I found it covered everything I needed to know and brought up a lot of issues I would not have though about. I loved the layout and the part for dad. I particularly liked the part about labour, I found it covered all the information our prenatal class discussed.

- nothing I can think of!

• 2 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2010

This book is worth reading if you are pregnant as it gives you a world of information you just have to get into it. You can also easily look up what you are after.

+ Very informative. It covers pretty much everything that happens during pregnancy.

- Sometimes I found this book a bit dull and I didn't like the layout.

• 21 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2010

This was my first book about pregnancy and i found it completly useful.However this was not my first choice when i went shopping but ended up buying this as it had more text than pictures and it fits a budget.Glad i got it though. All the postpartum exercise's and post pregnancy tipos were very useful. On the whole would recommend this to any new mum.

+ good starter-very informative-complete postpartum coverage as well

- the font size could have been little big and this made it hard to read during flight journeys or any travel.Not much info on pregnancies that are overdue.

• 13 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2010

I read this book in conjuction with Up the Duff. Personally I preferred the more comical, don't take yourself to seriously viewpoint of Up the Duff compared to this book. However there were some things that weren't covered in Up the Duff that I referred back to this book for. Also preferred the week by week approach of Up the Duff compared to month by month in this book.

+ Generally a very informative book with good coverage on topics. Liked the pictures of the growing baby as it went through each stage. Good index, easy reference guide.

- In some areas was quite a formal and prudish read.

• 16 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 23, 2010

If you ever watched the movie 'Nine months' then you no doubt rushed to the bookstore and asked to buy this book. It's like I looked forward to having a baby just so i can proudly turn up to a store and ask for it. I thought initially it must be a US sort of book not easily found but was wrong. I bought it and realised there are more books for toddlers too of this sort. I read the book as I progressed into both my pregnancies, the second time more for the fun of it. You learn so much reading and some questions are answered, the rest of it is a good read for just in case you need to know about some conditions and issues that come up when pregnant. It's a fantastic book, loved it and kept the ultrasound pic at each stage hehe

+ great advice, good coverage

- i wish it was bigger hehe couldn't get enough

• 112 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2010

This book has a lot of information in it and has been around for a long time and contains heaps of information and tips for pregnancy. It is a great book to read over and over again and covers so many different topics. Well worth having around everytime you are pregnant. Definitely worth having a read.

+ I first read this book after stumbling across it at the local library and it really is an excellent book. You can follow the week by week growth of your baby and it has really good information for when you are expecting.

- There are none.

• 41 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2010

Puchased this book months before trying to conceive. Found it was very helpful with most things that i went through in my pregnancy being correct to how the book described. I would always refer to this book if i came across something i was concerned about and it would always have a suitable answer for me. I found it more informative in this way than any other book i was reading. Sometimes i would have to go forward or backwards to other months to find what i was feeling, but generally it was spot on. Was very helpful to prepare for the labour aswell. The week leading up to my due date and while working through contractions at home i think i must have read that chapter about 1000 times! So helpful!

+ Very informative, each chapter clearly headlined with things to expect so easy to flip directly to what you are looking for. index is great.

- Would have liked it to be more Week by Week, but i guess being more general Month by Month is more widely related to by each different pregnancy.

• 1 answer
  • 4 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2010

It is a great informative book, step by step, month by month guide on everything you need to know about pregnancy. It certainly helped in a lot of different things that pop up when pregnant and it was great to have the information all in one book!

+ This is a great book. I bought it 6years ago when I had my first child and pulled it out again a year ago when i fell pregnant with my second child!

• 4 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2010

This book was the first one I brought when I found out I was pregnant. So far it has been my constant go-to for answers to all of the varied questions that come up during pregnancy. It answered all of my questions as well as informing me of many new things. I loved how it went though every week of pregnancy and what size bub would be at that age. It also covered many of the things that can go wrong in pregnancy so I was always aware and alert of those things.

+ Great, informative book that covered every stage of pregnancy and birth.

• 8 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2010

A brilliant book, and I've recommended it to all my pregnant friends! The information is presented in a no-nonsense style, absent the hysteria that accompanies most other pregnancy guides - the "don't do this, don't eat that, don't go near this, don't drink that" style of many other books is designed to drive pregnant women mad, and I frankly got heartily sick of it. This book gives you the information you need to make informed choices. I used this book to understand what was likely to happen to my body at any given stage, and it also helped me to think about questions to ask my doctor before each appointment. Can't recommend this highly enough.

+ An excellent, all in one source of information for each month during pregnancy, and also covers some common scenarios post partum. The advice and information is well presented - I particularly like the summary at the beginning of each chapter which covers things most pregnant women will experience at that particular time, and what tests etc will be done at your next appointment.

- Expensive, but frankly this is a minor quibble - after all the other books I read or flipped through, it was this one I returned to each month, or whenever I had a concern.

• 28 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 24, 2009

When first pregnant it was great to have lots to read each month, it's very reassuring and the tone tends more to the you're normal and doing ok rather than doom and gloom of what can go wrong. It covers a diverse range of topics and viewpoints - home birth through to caesarean and how both the baby is developing as well as how the pregnancy is affecting the mother

+ It's set out in a month by month guide, the pictures of what the baby will look like, able to get information summarised as well as in detail

• 24 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2009

This was a fantastic book. It covered just about everything I was wondering about and covered most of the things that happened. I found it really easy to read with lots of detail but not too medical. I bought it double with What to Eat when you're expecting which had lots of great tips for eating while you are pregnant and then while you are breastfeeding. It was a really simple to read and follow where I found some other information too technical.

+ This is a fantastic pregnancy book. I'd recommend it as a must have to anyone who is expected

- Nothing I loved it.

, SA

• 7 comments
  • 21 answers
  • 199 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2009

Lots of great information, I would refer to this book many times during my pregnancy. Even though the format is set up month to month, I still found it good to find what I wanted to know.

+ Excellent information, covers pretty much everything!

- There is a chapter in the book which covers all the things that can go wrong in pregnancy, and sadly things DO go wrong sometimes, but after reading this section it made me worry something bad was going to happen to me or my baby. It is good to be informed of what COULD happen, but personally I should have skipped this chapter.

1 of 3 pages