This product has been discontinued by Whirlpool.

Date Purchased: Oct 2008

Disappointed in this machine from previous models

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

This machine is a lot louder than others, It Has no lint filter and cloths always come out with some kind of residue/ lint especially dark colours, resulting most of the time having to go back in the wash so waste of water an detergent, I have cleaned out the machine numerous times including adjatater Etc, stopped using fabric softener and less detergent then the bottle states to no avail. Didn’t have this problem with the model prior and was told they are a great machine, machine is older than the time it’s actually been used and still looks brand new very disappointed whirlpool.

Purchased at: Harvey Norman

Date Purchased: May 2014

If I could give it ZERO stars...

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2016

First off, a moderate sized load (5kg) of clothes comes out finished in a wad that is usually tangled and wound up. By far, it is the very worst washing machine I've ever used, or known of. If a load of towels is washed, expect lint all through the next load, as there seems to be no filter anywhere, to be cleaned out. This washing machine, surely, gives Whirlpool a bad name and failing marks, all the way around.

Sydney

• 6 helpful votes

Big Mistake relying on the Whirlpool Brand

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2015

In order of issues. It wears out my clothes, it leaves lint everywhere, it's noisy and difficult to clean the inside areas that get very dirty, especially the fabric softener dispenser. It is disappointing that a brand like whirlpool would put their name on this faulty equipment. NEVER TRUSTING WHIRLPOOL ANYTHING AGAIN.

Sydney

• 4 answers
  • 9 helpful votes
Private message

Was Great To Begin With..

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2015

I purchased this machine just under 5 years ago. Worked great with no issues, got my clothes, towels and blankets extremely clean. I never had a major issue with fluff or scrud (except when the load was run with a tissue in someones pocket) but over the past 6 months inside the drum rusted up so badly it now leaves rust stains all over the laundry. I've had my expensive towels, tops and my partners brand new shirts ruined with multiple dots of rust which won't budge and he had to throw them out. I'm now also considering getting a front load as this machine did like to guzzle water when I had to do extra large load like washing blankets. Not worth the $800 I paid for it back in 2011.

Purchased at: RetraVision

• 20 helpful votes

The BEST FAMILY Machine Ever

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2015

I researched for a machine that was as close to a commercial machine as I could get in order to keep up with my family of 5. This machine uses a similar gearing system to industrial machines, so it is hard wearing, long lasting and simple to use (no complexity). Additionally it has no electrical board for the controls, which appealed to me as I figured it would be just another thing to go wrong or break. This machine has been fantastic and never faulted. Reading others posts and complaints about it being noisy, yes it is a little, but you will get that in this industrial-type machine. I bought this machine with value for money and longevity in mind. I have had my fair share of the 'bells and whistles' washing machines with them lasting only a few years. I have had my machine for over 10 years, we have given it a beating and it is still going strong. I have no hesitation in recommending this machine to any busy family. The clothes come out smelling and feeling clean. I really like the bleach dispenser, it really freshens the most smelly of clothes.
If you want a luxury, quiet, fancy looking machine, this one is not for you. If you want a quality made machine that is basic but does the job consistently, or if you have a busy family like me, you can't go past this one. It is worth every cent!

Perth

• 6 answers

Leaves fluff on clothes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2015

There is no filter in this machine and it leaves fluff and residue on the clothes after a wash. We have to brush this off after they are dry and it is such a time waster. We have followed all the instructions and tried many different things but nothing will stop this fluff residue.
I would never buy a top loading washer without a filter again. It's a lemon.

Croydon

• 2 answers
  • 27 helpful votes

not a good washer

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2015

While I only have myself to blame for shopping whilst in a not so good state of mind I must say that this machine leaves heaps of fluff in the wash. It has no lint filter as it is supposed to 'wash it out' of the clothes - that has not been my experience. the quality of the wash is not good, I have taken to handwashing any dirty spots before I put it in the machine. I would NEVER buy one of these machines again

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

No more Whirlpool for me

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 18, 2014

Noisy, rough on clothes, poor durability, and most importantly, a generous and reliable lint dispenser!

My hypotheses on how this washing machine ever made it to production:
- designed by an intern and approved by the intern's drunk supervisor
- designed by a drunk designer and approved by his/her even drunker supervisor
- a Whirlpool's way of saying F you to all its users

Brisbane

It is good product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2014

Since I got this machine on 2010, it is not have any problem. I recommend this brand to friend. It is good product. In Taiwan we all used this brand product including of air condition. Although it will make a litter noisy.

If you want to buy electronic product this brand is good choice.

Brisbane

• 1 answer

Horrible Washing Machine

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2014

I hate this machine. It developed a huge mechanical problem while under warranty, and this problem was fixed by Whirlpool. Six months out of warranty some sensor in the lid stopped working and I paid for its repair, but a few months later it broke again and the only way to get it to complete the entire cycle without stopping is to put two heavy bricks on top of the lid. Not to mention that there is lint lint lint everywhere and most of my work clothes are black. Wish I could afford a new machine. Will NEVER buy Whirlpool again.

- Lint, mechanical problem, sensor problem

• 25 answers
  • 46 helpful votes
Private message

Rough on clothes and a lint catcher

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2014

We purchased as it was a good heavy duty machine - like the 5100 series. Had now for 10 yrs +.

Set up was not problem free as extra washers had to be purchased to seal the inlet hoses. The supplied washers would not seal and the company would not supply replacements or extras as they termed it.

Loads are always sorted. It handles adequate loads for families. The basic heavy duty cycle is ok but its delicate cycle needs to be rethought to work well. It doesn't handle delicates well at all.

As others have mentioned the lint problem just gets worse over the years. Same comment for the 5100 series. The machine has been disassembled to clean the lint filter - which required 3 men- a large block of wood - a sledge hammer and some big hits to remove the basket under which lies the lint filter. Yes it does have one. It is supposed to be a self cleaning lint filter. Looks something like a big plastic fan with lots of fingers. Other variation is 2 - 4 small round filters which press into the basket at the bottom. Which ever it doesn't appear to work and most loads have to be re-rinsed to remove lint - which doesn't always work either.

Obviously water usage is a problem because of the double rinse issue.

I am open to any suggestions as to what may be wrong as we have tried a lot of methods to stop the lint problem including reading the user manual - which by the way didn't come with the machine.

+ Heavy duty

- Real lint problems that get worse over time.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

mitchell

Dreadful

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2013

This machine has never washed properly - the clothes are always covered in lint and gundge and there is no lint catcher. Dark clothes are a nightmare. Tried every combination of temperature and washing powder- it makes no difference. Tried the web site - no help at all! I will never buy this brand again.

+ Dial knob not buttons.

- Clothes are dirtier after washing than before!

• 1 helpful vote

Worst machine

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 22, 2013

Machine is less than 3 yrs old. Noisy, leaks water, lint and not great cleaning. A week ago it started to really play up. when it finishes wash and empties it goes to refill but noticed after a lot of wasted water that it was going straight out of machine. Yesterday started to stop while filling at start. What a lemon. Oh and we bought extra warranty. Rang them and they went into liquidation last year. Great.

+ Large capacity

- Noise, lint, excess water, leak, bad workmanship

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Whirlpool never again ...it has a lint demon living in it, and a drummer and the wash is shocking...I'm going to replace with a new machine..but what??

Couldn't agree more- the clothes are dirtier after washing!! wish I'd checked reviews before buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Great lint applicator action

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2012

Like others, it hadn't occurred to me that any heavy duty washing machine would not have a lint filter.

Plus most settings are too rough in agitator action and that damages my clothes.

The 'delicates' setting stopped working after about the third use (does not agitate at all).

Most of my towels got ruined, as did any fleece clothes.

I have figured out that all I can do is wash on gentle and then wash twice - water bill through the roof.

Wish I'd done my home work before buying!!

- No lint filter

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

what a bad idea that was, you have to clean the lint out, and like many others I couldn't find the filter and tried everything, its only just recently that I found how to remove the fabric conditio... read more »

• 1 review
  • 9 helpful votes

Letter to whirlpool

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 06, 2012

Whirlpool, You have been doing it for years. I would have thought you had worked out how to make a great washing machine by now! I paid top dollar for this "commercial grade work horse with a unique anti tangle action". Bollocks. I searched high and low for the lint filter (whose idea was it to design a washing machine without a lint filter) with no success. My clothes are stretched, tangled and cover in lint. Back to the drawing board whirlpool.

+ "what did I like about it". Absolutely nothing.

- Expensive. Loud. Tangles clothes and leaves them covered in lint

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

This would have to be the worst washing maching I have ever used and I have used a few over the years. As long as I live I will never buy another whirlpool, the clothes are dirtier when they come ... read more »

• 1 answer
  • 15 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2012

The agitator, I feel, washes really dirty clothes better than the other types of washers now being sold, but I want to get rid of this machine after only 2 years because of the lint issue. Sometimes I have to rinse clothes a 2nd time to remove as much lint as possible and feel terribly guilty as it uses heaps of water to begin with. I would buy another Whirlpool only if it had a removable lint filter. The excuse that it is made in America for Americans who use clothes dryers is not true. I'm an ex-pat American and when I visit the USA, relatives' washing machines all have removable lint filters and all my machines in US had removable lint filters when I lived there. So that is no excuse. I won't buy any washing machine in future without a removable lint filter.

+ Chose this brand/model because it was the only one on display that had an agitator and large capacity. This one replaced an LG inversion washer which took too long for washing cycles and greasy clothes didn't come out very clean.Have had machine for 2 years. Like the large capacity and does a good job on husband's greasy mechanic's clothes. Can wash a large QB doona. Wash cycles finish fairly quickly.

- Lint, lint, lint! Hate that it doesn't have a removable lint filter and dark clothes are covered in lint despite removal of all possible lint shedders. Followed manufacturer's instructions to clean machine of lint but that didn't work. Some of the dark clothes are ruined with light-coloured "pills" that cannot be removed. Uses too much water.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

This is a disgraceful machine. Whirlpool should be ashamed to sell this item. Clothes covered with lint every time, clothes ruined. Maybe everyone should join in a class action against Whirlpool and sue the [censored word removed] out of them for

newcastle

• 6 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Dont waste your money Whirlpool 6ALSR7244MW

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2012

Spent top $$ on this washing machine thinking it would last me longtime, only to have gearbox repaired at 14 months old. Every load was covered with lint, despite following manufacturer's instructions to the email replys. I was told by owner of store of Belmont Retravision, that this was
good washing machine. Only find it leave lint over each load
We had hoover before whirlpool and got rid of it, because it was always going out balance. I had friend who had whirpool for 25 years and only did a water pump and replaced the plastic pull on or push off button .
This machine has damaged a lot my clothing, and friends say to me. Whats wrong with your washing machine, it shouldnt leave lint over your cloths like that. I only had machine 3 years and after owner it 14 months and paid most for it. my family told me to take it with me, when i moved out
I tried many things, that whirpool have told me to do

- lint lint

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I really makes mad, I am not only one out there who owns one of these Whirlpool 6ALSR7244MW washing machine. That leave lint all over your cloths. I see on Whirlpool web page they have changed the... read more »

Spent some time with my mum interstate and I found this washing machine was ruining my clothes and they were always covered in lint too. Thankfully it's not my machine but I cant see my elderly mum... read more »

I have just had to get a new motor put in my Wash Machine Cost me over $300 by P.R. Appliance Service I asked him about lint problem and made out, Its only wash Machhine his heard of that had that... read more »

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 22, 2012

I am saddened and feel completely moslead with this product. Sales rep at retravision says, buy this machine and you'll get a good 15 yrs out of it. What the hell is with this 4.5 yr rubbish then? What a lemon. I will never buy this brand again. Should have known. We had a Whirpool fridge we paid $1100 for and 7 yrs later with 3 service repairs, it was beyond repair. With both the machine and the fridge, they broke, right after the 2 yr warranty period :(

+ Bowl size- can do a decent amount of clothes in each load.

- RUST!!! The inside of the lid is terribly rusted. My machine has spent all of its 4.5 years in an internal laundry, yet it looks like it has sat by the seaside! Gearbox is leaking, have replaced motor coupling twice in 18months, despite paying $820 ( on special- mind!) for the initial outlay. Each repair has cost $165 and $175, now apparantly the gearbox will cost more to repair than buying a new model!

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Lint cuboard

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2012

A strong solid washer. Easy to use. Easy to maintain because there is no lint filter which is great if you want all your cloths to come out dirtier than when they went in.

- No lint filter

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

wish I had read these reviews first, I am sick and tired of having to rewash my clothes, I cannot trust the machine with my good clothes which I now hand wash, thank you whirlpool

i rang up whirl pool and they said that the lint filter is in the centre of machine and requirs a specialist.

This machine is killing my life and my clothes- it leaves ball fluffs on all my brand new clothes- wash bags don't even work. Worst machine ever- if you have good clothes do not buy it.

• 2 comments
  • 33 helpful votes

Dont waste your money on Whirlpool 6ALSR7244MW

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 29, 2012

Spent top $$ on this washing machine thinking it would last me long time, only to have gearbox repaired at 14 months old. Every load was covered with lint, despite following manufacturer's instructions and to the email replys. I was told by owner of store the Belmont Retravision, that this was
good washing machine. Only find it leave lint over each load
I tried many things, that whirpool have told me to do
To fix the linting problem. Like filling washing machine full of water and cup washing powder, and leaving turned off for 2 hours and then turn back on and let machine finish. That didnt fix it, I wish whirlpool would come to party and replace it.

+ Capacity is great. Very strongly built too