Filter By:
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Did not cover flight cancellation due to fine print

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

My flight for tomorrow got cancelled by the airline for operational reasons. Not my fault. The airline couldn’t provide another flight the same day, so will give me a refund, and I have now booked a different flight. However I’m out of pocket by $450aud as the new flight was more expensive. World Nomads said they won’t cover as they say it’s the airlines fault and they should provide me with an alternative flight (which they did but it was a whole day later, so too late for me to fly). They will only cover me if the flight is cancelled due to reasons outside of the airlines control (eg hijack/ weather). Overall, not paying out when needed really sums up my view of insurance companies. Only positive is that the lady on the phone was nice and I did speak to someone quickly.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Mkss, Sorry to hear that the airline cancelled your flight. If you want me to look at the outcome of your claim to ensure that it's in line with the policy, flick an email through to help@wor... read more »

Insurance claim made

NEVER AGAIN! Not worth the money.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2017

I would not recommend this travel insurance for ANYONE. I understand they have policies and have to detail everything but I have been working on my claim for 6 MONTHS! I had missed flights, medical reports, and accommodation totaling to about $1200. They only gave me $220 of that back. It has taken them the 6 months to finally send me a detailed letter explaining why they can and cannot cover me for certain things. I completely understand why they can't cover certain aspects of my claim but for it to take 6 months, multiple emails, constant scanning of documents, and just a down right awful communication process is ridiculous. On top of everything, their claim form SUCKS! Half the information I added in didn't show up which is why I had to file the claim for the second time, and it is not well explained on the website or when I received my printed document of my filed claim. For me to pay $500 for this insurance and only get a small amount back really blows. Before I had insurance through this company I had paid $30 for basic travel insurance through a small company and they helped 10X more than this one. I also got EVERYTHING I claimed back.

Not worth the money.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Jessie,

We've replied to your other review.

World Nomads.

Sydney

• 1 answer

Insurance claim made

Extremely difficult to make a claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2017

I had to make a claim as I fell sick in Lombok, Indonesia. I was advised by the doctor there to return to Singapore for further treatment. It was like blood from a stone first of all getting World Nomads to accept the claims for treatment both in Lombok and Singapore, and they then took an extremely long time - requiring persistent chasing up - to get my claim finalised.

I was challenged by World Nomads when I presented them with my doctors written medical report, and they said they did not agree with his conclusion for me to terminate my vacation early. Like they could judge my condition via a phone call better than the doctor I had been to see in Indonesia. I was shocked that they would challenge the doctors written advice.

Eventually I did get my claim processed, but when they had deducted the excess I may as well have paid it myself in entirety for all the trouble I had been through with phone calls, emails and chasing up the processing of my claim. However if you are applying for travel insurance after having already left your home country as I was, you have limited options. I would not have used them otherwise.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Greg, Thanks for reaching out and letting me know. I'm sorry to read that you fell sick in Indonesia. Can you please send your policy number to help@worldnomads.com so that I can look into wh... read more »

Brisbane

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Not there when they are needed

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2017

Similar to the many other bad reviews, I had a bad experience with WN. Fell ill during my travels in Canada and after collecting all the information they needed from the doctors, including the doctor's diagnosis, the complete showstopper was them not being able to confirm my claim had similar history or previous diagnosis in Australia. When questioned whether this was fair, to have the complete claim process for 3 months over this, they stated this is procedure, which is reasonable, but not fair. My claim was for $600. I've been waiting to hear their response for my asthma claim for over 5 weeks, but my hopes are not up. Wouldn't recommend WN to my friends and family. Pricing may be competitive, but why waste all your money to save some if their level of service is severely lacking?

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Mario, Thank for reaching out and letting me know. It is standard procedure for the team to check up on pre-existing medical conditions. Often the hold up can be getting info from doctors. The... read more »

Dammam

• 2 helpful votes

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Dodgy; uninterested in insuring you. Take my advice or leave it.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

I purchased their top plan. The first night of my trip, bad weather cancelled the flight out, I was left with no other choice but to arrive later than I originally planned. I missed one day of a hotel reservation and car rental.

This company went out of their way to craft a lovely letter about how they were grateful for my purchase, but when I inquired about how to file expenses lost due to cancellation of a flight, they weren't interested in helping me. They explicitly stated at the end of their letter that their service excludes rental car costs, and hotel cost losses in the event of a flight delay. Funny, since the fine print in the letter upon purchasing their plan did state that expenses would be reimbursed in the event of cancellations..

And then they had the audacity to write another letter to me, reminding me that my policy would be expiring, and that I should renew the policy, etc., give them more money, essentially.

No thanks. World Nomads, you guys are dodgy.. I will not be purchasing a plan through you again and I hope this review dissuades others from doing business with you in the future.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Jacob, Thanks for your review. I'm sorry to hear that your flight was cancelled and you missed a day of your trip. It is difficult for me to comment on cover without knowing your policy numbe... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Disappointed

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2016

I have been a loyal World Nomad customer for years and travel at least 4 or 5 times a year on trips which include hiking and scuba diving. On my last trip I had a medical emergency which required immediate care (within 24 hours). I called their doctor and asked for a second opinion. That doctor gave me the complete wrong advise!! Later I found out from a specialist hospital that I should have taken an extra vaccination which was not recommended by the Nomad doctor, even when I asked for it specifically. Then when I put the claim as I came back the claim was denied because they said that I bought the insurance after I travelled. Well: first of all: I bought the insurance one day before and second they say on the website that serious medical emergencies are covered even if you buy the insurance after you left already. Anyway, I had to actually email them my flight ticket to prove that I had left after I bought the claim and only then I was reimbursed. I am still waiting to see what they will say about the doctor's advise. I am embarrassed to admit that I recommended this company to my friends and am looking now for a different insurance company for my next trips.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Jacky, Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. I'm sorry to hear that the service did not live up to your expectations, particularly as you've been a loyal World Nomads customer for ye... read more »

Insurance claim made

This Business Has Recently Been Taken Over So Expect Less.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2015

Matters not that you supply all requirements when making a claim this mob can and will point to a clause that gets then out of responsibility to pay up, when you persist you will be passed off to another avenue of appeal just not worth it. This was my third and final policy.

Cerebus save your breath you can't explain it all away.

Comments
World Nomads Official

HI Mick Thanks for your feedback and on behalf of World Nomads we are really sorry you feel this way as this is never our intention. If you have been through the appeal process then I am sorry it h... read more »

Perth

• 2 comments

Insurance claim made

good until you need to make a claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2015

Well, I trusted World Nomad as lonely planet suggests it.
Very easy to actually buy the insurance, friendly website.
But.. of course the most important thing you want to know about an insurance is how they treat you once you actually need to make a claim.
During my last holiday my flight was cancelled (I travelled with a low cost - but that's is another story), and I knew I was covered by world nomads for any extra expenses incurred because of the flight being cancelled (of course I knew the flight itself should be refunded by the airline, so no claim for the flight itself).
So I claimed the extra night I did paid before being able to flight again the following morning.
Well.. the website become suddenly not so friendly, and for example, you got message only on the website and not on email. Then you can reply on the website to their message, but when you need to actually send them the documentation you can't do that on the website and back to email. Anyway, of course these things are just annoying but not crucial. I'm now waiting as I' exchanging message and apparently they can't refund me for that night (who knows why?!). I'll update more once (if) they possible give me the last word on this.
Long story short.. I would look for another insurance next holiday!!

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Clepps I'm sorry to hear that you feel the claims process is 'not so friendly'. But there is a process that must be followed in order to assess and finalise claims as with any other type of insu... read more »

Melbourne

• 7 helpful votes

Very Frustrating

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2015

In all fairness, my complaint isn't completely directed at WN, it's more directed at their Canadian insurance partner Travel Guard/AIG. To begin with, the only policy I could get as a Canadian at the start of our trip had far less coverage than my Australian boyfriend. I was shocked to hear that he could pay for several upgrades that were completely non-existent. This is due to the insurance companies in each country so either WN needs a MUCH better partner, or Canada needs some MUCH better insurance companies.

When I first used WN on a trip to Australia, they were very quick in processing my minor Doctor's visit and medication fees, I received my $63 with relatively little fuss. This time though...
About a week after I had submitted my claim (for an $83 doctor visit) through the WN website and mailed all the original paperwork and forms as directed by their website, I had no less than three emails from three different people at Travel Guard/AIG all requesting the same info I had sent plus a few other completely redundant forms and information...with no one actually confirming that they had received anything from me. I took the time from my vacation to sort through all the attachments and match it to what I had sent only to find out there was actually only ONE form that they now needed. I explained that I was no longer near a printer and could not give them their requested claim form immediately. I also lodged a complaint with WN about the unprofessionalism of this email flurry...

To which I received three more emails from Travel Guard/AIG: One from my actual analyst, again requesting all the same duplicate and redundant info; one from what I assumed to be a manager, apologizing; and another from a random person who didn't sign their name but explained they were in the call centre and sometimes they replied to emails...Talk about a sh*t show.

Now for the final straw: I am finally able to access a printer and while I'm in the middle of writing an email to my analyst, letting them know the form will be mailed soon, I received an email from him/her stressing that this was (oh my god!) their THIRD request for this information. Really?? I wonder how much time they think I've spent trying to do their job and filter through the crap to find out what they ACTUALLY need from me in addition to running around trying to find a printer?? Much more than three emails worth, I can tell you.

Really appalling customer service and I may just be looking for different options the next time I need travel insurance.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Claire I really am sorry to hear of your negative experiences with the claims team based in Canada who deal with the policies for Canadian residents. I did forward your message on to the claims ... read more »

Hi Kellie, Yes, I had received multiple "form" emails (no personalized emails of course, that's too much work) from Terri, my claims analyst, none of which answered my question of whether or not he... read more »

Insurance claim made

Read the policy! Extension are problematic, leaving me with the medical cost.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 06, 2013

One of the reasons I chose Nomads travel insurance was that you can extend your policy during travels. Towards the End of my policy i had an kiteboard accident and hurt my hip. Since i had upgraded my policy to include kiteboarding i knew if shouldn't be a problem. I was also staying at my chosen location a bit longer, so I extended my policy. The follow-up treatment of the injury dragged on a bit (1 month) as the Radiological clinics in Australia are flat out and I was referred to specialists. When forwarding my claim to World Nomads however I was told they will not cover any injuries from previous policies in the extended policies. This leaves me with about $800 worth of bills. I would say that this defeats all the pro's you get from having the flexibility of extending your insurance. It is to say that this is stated in the policy text. I was also wrongly told by their staff to wait with the claims until the treatment had finished as I would then only have to pay for the excess $70 once. I was later told that that is in fact not the case and claims can be made at any time with the excess be payable once per related injury/treatment.
I will not extend my insurance with Nomads and switch to the competition.

+ fexibility if trip is extended

- Policy extensions not covering injuries from previous policy periods.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hello Chris Firstly, I am very sorry that the policy didn't live up to your expectations. Your feedback is important and we take any complaints about our service extremely seriously. Even though... read more »

Yes I agree. The way the polices are written there is a loophole to get out of most costly cases. Reading through the other reviews, they seem to pay where low value items are stolen or small medic... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Booking page not clear whether skiing was included

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2013

I confirmed a policy for a ski trip but then realised on confirmation that skiing was not included - I had missed it.

I emailed and asked what to do and was unhelpfully told to buy a new policy:

Hi Julian,

Thanks for your reply.

We can't change the activity level on the policy which you have at the moment, so you would need to buy a new policy, for the same duration and change the activity level on the quote page.

You can find this option if you scroll past the summary of benefits on the quote summary page and it is under the section called 'options- upgrade your cover'.

If you do this, let us know the new policy number so we can let the underwriter know you have purchased a replacement policy for your cancellation request.

- Poor website, not obvious when booking

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi JoolianP Thanks for your feedback about our service and website. I am very sorry to hear that our service team wasn't that helpful. Unfortunately it's not possible for them to add cover for c... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

Affordable but read the fine print!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2012

I have been using World Nomads for my insurance cover for the past 10 years for all of my overseas travel. Because of the affordability and convenience of signing up online I referred friends and family also, who were also using it long term. After all these years none of us ever had to make a claim until last week when my jewellery was stolen on a flight and my flights were cancelled and I was forced to reroute them due to Hurricane Sandy. I lost over 1000 dollars which was not able to be claimed back because they do not cover these scenarios. My friend who went with another insurer alternatively received her money back. From now on I will pay more for my insurance and make sure I get one that actually insures you for something.

+ easy to sign up, affordable

- doesn't cover barely anything

Perth

• 8 helpful votes

Cheap and sometimes nasty

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2012

I lost two fillings when cruising the South Atlantic in mid 2012. On claiming from this Insurance company the claim was denied since fillings were not part of my natural teeth. Quite frankly, this is not good enough. However, since I have not died, nor become ill, nor lost documents, nor been robbed, nor had my travel disrupted or any other incident, I am unable to comment further.

However I continue to insure with this company purely because of the cheap price charged. I guess you get what you pay for.

Update - after reading other reviews from other people who were sufficiently unwise to deal with this company, I have now cancelled my latest policy. Readers will note that they can cancel a policy within 14 days of taking it out. My cancellation alone will not change this company"s attitude, but if there are sufficient cancellations, attitudes may change.

+ Inexpensive, easy to negotiate website

- Pedantic definitions - it is the role of insurance companies to minimise payouts - but deciding a filling is not part of natural teeth is not customer focus.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hello Ronald, I am very sorry that the policy didn't lived up to your expectations and that the definition of "sound and natural teeth" was not what you expected. Not all of our plans have the ... read more »

Katrina is "very sorry" that the policy didn't live(d) (sic) up to .... expectations" Being sorry in this instance is completely useless.. What I wanted and thought I had, was complete coverage. ... read more »

World Nomads Official

Hello Greg (and Roland), our insurers can only pay your claims when what happens to you is covered under the policy you buy. Unfortunately, even though you expect it to, the policy cannot cover eve... read more »

Shafted by their excessive depreciation values

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2012

Got robbed of around $4,500 worth of stuff, including $1,500 cash unfortunately (not covered), waited 2 months to find out they depreciate hue amounts on all items, even things that most people would expect to last 5 to 10 years or more. So much so that basically if anything is 4 years old it has zero value. So think about it: My previous backpack purchased for $500 lasted for 20 years. World Nomads would have valued that backpack as worth basically nothing after 4 years. Pathetic response to someone suffering a serious robbery, am now looking for an alternative, and will make sure everyone knows about their huge depreciation deductions.

+ Easy to buy online, but that just sucked me in.

- Excessive depreciation values on non-electronic, as new items.

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Dave Sorry to hear you're upset with the outcome of your claim. I know it must have been stressful to have all of your gear stolen, yet the policy you bought never promised old for new repla... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2010

Way too hard to get my money out of them! Every time i send them new information it takes them 2 weeks to look and it and then they just write back saying "we need some more information which we didnt ask for last time".

+ Easy, all online. Can extend your policy easily (although expensive)

- Has taken a LONG time to resolve my claims, still not paid. Not happy!