Filter By:
  • 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Submit, Wait, Submit, Wait, and so on....

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 06, 2016

I tore my MCL (grade II) while snowboarding in Niseko, Japan. Thankfully, I purchased traveler's insurance, and made my way to see a physiotherapist. Soon afterwards, I submitted my claim to World Nomads.

What I like about World Nomads: generally...they're pretty good about replying to emails, and they even reply personally.

What I didn't like: when submitting a claim, you're told to submit a form and receipts. Then you get this message: "We received your claim information....we will update you with the status of your claim within 10 days of receipt of receiving your most recent submission." Sometimes they do, but more often than not, you need to contact THEM after the 10 days, and around the 14th day, you receive an update. And that update? Usually...it's something else they need in order to process your claim; but they basically only tell you one thing at a time, delaying the process.

If you live in the U.S., here is what I was asked in order for them to process my claim (and again, I wasn't told this all at once):
~ Initial Claim and Receipts (first step)
~ Copy of Round Trip Air Itinerary
~ Proof of Current Residence in the U.S.
~ Copies of Services rendered (including charges, diagnosis, etc. This is usually done
in step one, but they asked me for it again)
~ Medical Report (which could be copy of services rendered)
~ Authorization for Release of Information (signed)
~ Address for Payment (i.e. mailed check if approved for payment; they don't do EFT if
you live in the States...which is weird because they ask me for bank details so they
can do an EFT.)
~ Credit Card Statement (showing proof of expenses)
~ Name and Contact of personal physician (or last one seen within past 2 years)

Again....World Nomads asked me for all of this information not all at once, but virtually one at a time, significantly delaying the processing of my claim. But...I finally got my claim approved, and was reimbursed the full amount of all my expenses.

Can I recommend them? I suppose so. But perhaps I was one of the lucky few who had a "positive" experience with them.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I hope that your torn MCL is on the mend and didn't cause you too much discomfort. I'm glad to hear that your claim was approved and that... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Insurance claim made

Very important detail for backpackers:

3 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 13, 2016

They do not have an option to send you money electronically.

I repeat - they will send you a check to your "home" address.

I have moved out of my "home address" to travel. This is why sending a check "home" is the most inconvenient way to send me money short of lighting it aflame and blowing the ashes in my general, easterly direction.

It is unfathomable to me that a Travel Insurance company is incapable of transferring funds electronically. They sure do accept money electronically.

They sell this insurance to backpackers. They should therefore have a modicum of awareness about the nature of this kind of travel: frequent city changes, border crossings, a different hostel every few days.. How on earth could they reasonably expect to send a check in the mail to someone on the road? Particularly when many of these countries have inadequate/unreliable post systems? The majority of Nicaragua literally doesn't even have an address!

To be fair, though, they did process my claim quickly and I have no complaints there. I would be pretty pleased overall, if they didn't make it next to impossible for me to receive the actual funds.

So probably good for short trips, maybe not so much for longer trips.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Hannah, I’m so sorry to hear you were inconvenienced by our claims payment process. At this time, policy holders in the US can only receive claim payments via check. We realise this isn't ve... read more »

FULHAM, SA

• 1 question
  • 7 answers
  • 16 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2011

I went to Europe for nearly 12 months and I thought the price was pretty reasonable. Good price, secure - happy

+ Didn't fill my emails with marketing!

- No issues wiht them

I need to file a claim, and I need a password tom proceed. Will you please notify me with a password? Barbara Moore ID 622070

Barbara Moore asked on Jul 31, 2018

Hi Barbara,

Just to make sure I'm resetting the correct password on the correct account, could you please send me a quick email on help@worldnomads.com?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Sarah
World Nomads

Hello, I am Sumeet Gupta, an Indian passport holder. Have moved to UK on 17th Feb 2018 along with my family and living here since then. Now i am a resident of UK, and planning a trip to Europe which will start and end in UK. Need a travel insurance for my Schengen Visa but most of insurance companies does not provide insurance to people moved to UK recently (before 6 months). Can I buy Nomad policy as UK resident?

Sumeet asked on Jul 03, 2018

Hi Sumeet,

Thanks very much for you question.

In order to take a policy as a UK resident, you need to be able to fulfil the resident requirements outlined here: https://helpdesk.worldnomads.com/customer/en_gb/portal/articles/2403556-travel-insurance-what-is-my-country-of-residence-?b_id=12919

Note, you can switch between Indian and UK resident to see which suits you.

We don't have the 6 month rule, you just need to fulfil that requirement.

All the best,

Matt
Customer Experience Specialist
World Nomads

Hi, I am looking for travel insurance for a trip to Nepal, I was looking on your website but got confused on the country of permanent residence part. I am an EU citizen and I am currently living and working in the UK, but I neither have a British passport nor I am a British national. Should I pick the UK as my country of permanent residence for my travel insurance ? Thanks, George

gkastro asked on Sep 26, 2017

Answer this

I do not recommend using these guys, look for another company.

Hi gkastro,

Thanks for your question!

Your best bet is to get in touch with the team at infogbr@worldnomads.com who'll be able to help you with that.

All the best,