Filter By:
  • 24 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Difficult, did not return correspondence.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2012

I broke my hand in america, bad break, needed surgery and plate.

I called to ask about going to the hospital there and what I would need to do. They never got back to me.

I went to the hospital - doctor said I needed surgery.

Insurance company (worldnomads are underwritten by different insurer, and managed by emergency response company who are deliberately difficult and do not return calls, even when promised) said it was cheaper to fly me home to australia rather than have the surgery in the states - so after two weeks of having a hand in two pieces I got a flight back to Australia. They refused to pay for the surgery in Australia saying I could use the free public system (which couldn't get me in in time).

When I made a claim they were as difficult as possible and did not return any email except with automated responses asking me to pay the excess -which I had.

- where to start?

24 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 17 helpful votes

Bunch of thieves!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2011

Do not buy from this company!

We bought this insurance for our honeymoon, and on the day we were leaving, half of our flights had been cancelled by the airline due to scheduling problems. We had to buy new flights and accommodation due to this and we put a claim in with the travel insurance. After a few weeks they asked for documents from the airline describing why the flights were cancelled. Luckily, we thought, we were able to obtain this document while we were in the airline's home country. We sent this document to them, 3 weeks later I asked for an update, and we were informed that they denied the insurance claim (roughly $900) because we weren't covered for airlines cancelling flights. What exactly are we paying these thieves for?? Trust me don't buy insurance from this company they will find ways not to pay your claim.

- they will find ways not to pay your claim

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Dan & Lorin, We do take this feedback seriously and we can investigate this further with our insurer and the claims team. Can you send me your policy number katrina[at]worldnomads.com and I c... read more »

• 15 helpful votes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2012

Cheap but the delays and poor response time to claims and inquiries makes this a very frustrating service. They must have one person servicing their entire claim base, and that person is not very helpful.

I would advise you to pay a bit more and PURCHASE INSURANCE ELSEWHERE.

+ Cheap, easy to sign up for, easy to keep your details up to date and they seem to cover all the bases you need.

- Like many of the reviews here I have had a terrible experience getting these guys to pay my claim. Most of the positive fantastic reviews are for no claims, or for large medical situations (where a 3rd party medical group assists). While I have no experience with these situations, by far the most common claim you're going to encounter is LOST BAGGAGE. So far my lost baggage claim has been outstanding for 4 months and as others have mentioned, World Nomads are slow, obstructive and unhelpful in the process. I receive emails asking for information I have already sent, I receive emails telling me that it is progressing and then 3 weeks later they want the same information or additional information that they didnt ask for the first time. This has happened three times now. On a material baggage claim of $2000 it seems they are being deliberately unhelpful and on average it takes 3 weeks to get any response to an email or inquiry on their website, and usually the response is a vague one line sentence which does nothing to speed your claim.I would not recommend using this company, pay a little more and shop elsewhere for piece of mind of actually being able to buy some clothes if the airline loses your luggage.

15 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sydney

• 11 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Drugged and robbed...no coverage despite police report

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 01, 2015

On a sleeper bus from Nah Trang to Saigon I was drugged and slept for 7 hours straight, and was shakey and off-balance all day. During my drug induced sleep my phone, wallet, and contents, as well as my headphones were stolen. After going through the hassle of dealing with corrupt police in Vietnam, I was contacted by World Nomads after a week. Your claim was denied as "my stuff was not actively monitored, supervised or stored away". Ehhh they stole the phone from my pocket, the headphones from my EARS and the wallet from my backpack which was in between my legs. I am terribly sorry but I wonder why I even have travel insurance if it does not cover me being drugged and robbed. Thanks World Nomads you portray yourself exactly as any other insurance company.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Roel. On behalf of World Nomads I am sorry that your claims experience was not as you expected. Your policy , underwritten by Bupa Global ( not Lloyds who underwrite the Australian policy) does ... read more »

Good afternoon Kellie, Thank you for your feedback. I am well aware of the appeal process and have submitted it unsuccessful on the same basis. This is not a case of policy and fine print but int... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 answer
  • 10 helpful votes

Beware!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2015

This company is very reluctant to honor a claim. Their online form is very restrictive and you must be very careful to read the fine print. A bag containing my medication disappeared and I was not sure exactly when it went missing...at the hotel I departed in the morning or when my bags were being taken to my room at the next hotel. I called WorldNomads and the lady told me to go to a doctor for a prescription and then to send them the receipts. I followed her instructions and then filled out the online claim form. There was no provision to add any attachments. I assumed that they would get back to me asking for them. Instead I received an email saying that they refused my claim. I was told to call someone at an insurance company called 'Cerberus' which appears to be the real insurance company behind WorldNomads. The 'supervisor' told me that they would not be honoring the claim because the bag had to be 'damaged' or 'stolen'...not 'lost'. I got the feeling that they will use any tactic to avoid paying a claim. I have been traveling a lot over the past 20 years for my work. That was the first time I used these people and I would never use them again.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi MC I'm sorry to hear about your claim issue and how it has made you feel. The policy available to Australian and New Zealand residents does have an exclusion whereby there is no cover for 'accid... read more »

Perth

No, nashi, nein, nej

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2012

I broke my leg in Japan whilst holding an insurance policy with World Nomads . I can definitely relate to the reviewers below who have had to fight every step of the process. In my experience the emergency assistance team (world nomads terminology for their call center) focused on ways to avoid a payout by searching for opportunities to deny my claim, refusing to return my calls/emails, unnecessarily dragging out the process through continual requests for information already supplied and by blaming delays on the underwriters or their international agencies.

I was in pain, on medication, not mobile and isolated from my friends and family but never received anything close to a how are you from world nomads during the entire process. It took over a week to get confirmation for surgery (the medical deadline was 14 days), 3 weeks for the hospital to receive payment and a further week to have transportation home arranged. Over this time I made more than 30 phone calls and received a handful of responses. Following my release there was a refusal to accept responsibility for my flight home or any of the 2 month rehabilitation recommended by the orthopedic surgeon.

The customer service and coverage provided by world nomads is appalling. I was basically left to fend for myself abroad and found it easier to communicate with the non-English speaking Japanese hospital staff than the emergency assistance team. I was warned by staff upon omission to hospital about World Nomads and they most definitely lived up to their reputation. In hindsight, I should have done more research about travel insurance before I left. Hopefully this review will help someone avoid my experience. Use another insurance company.

- Horrible customer service, no communication

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Philip, I am very sorry that your experience with our Emergency Assistance and customer services teams did not meet your expectations. I do hope you are recovering well at home after your su... read more »

Hello Katrina, Thank you for the response. I am currently putting together a formal complaint and will shortly submit via written response. I am done playing phone tennis with team world no... read more »

• 1 review
  • 10 helpful votes

READ THE VERY SMALL FINE PRINT

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2011

Last year I used World Nomads Travel Insurance for an overseas holiday. I thought what they offered was good but I failed to read the small print.

My flight from Paris to New York was cancelled due to civil unrest and so I had no alternative but to purchase 2 tickets with Air France (ECONOMY) total cost was approx $6600

On return to Sydney I rang World Nomads to make a claim but as they directed me to the fine print it clearly indicated that a cancellation was only covered prior to departure ex Sydney and that I was the one who instigated the cancellation.

I then read other travel insurance travel sites and it was quite clear that I used the wrong insurance provider. They are not all the same or equal.

+ Cheap

- Their wording in the brochure not the same in the fine print

Minimum payouts

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 08, 2011

I had two claims with these guys: 1) Mexicana went bankrupt. I had brought $500 of flights. Small print excluded company bankruptcies. No payout. 2) I had a bag stolen. contents: $600 3 year old camera. $150 cash. credit cards, licence. $800 value total. World nomads paid out $250 for the camera and $40 for the drivers license. minus $100 excess = $190 payout. Summary: over $1300 of losses. I was paid out $190. I paid over $300 for the insurance. Why bother??? These guys make it really easy to buy the insurance, but have all sorts of small print to make sure that they still make money off you, even when you make a claim.

+ Easy to buy. buy from anywhere. Easy to buy last minute.

- Don't pay out full amounts and have clauses to stop you getting paid.

• 13 helpful votes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2010

If a company will not pay out on a small claim then you can have no assurance that if you had a large medical bill they would assist. SHOP ELSEWHERE

- Made a small claim for lost binoculars which they failed to honour.

Incheon, Korea

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Extremely Disappointed. $2,000 claimed and only $48 offered.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2015

My wife and I had a disaster of a vacation. On our way to Nepal, a plane crashed and completely shut down the airport! This happened on 3/4/15 - the very day we were supposed to fly in. What terrible luck right?

As a result, we were stranded in Kunming, China for 3 nights and 4 days. It was a horrible experience. We were stuck in a dingy hotel with people smoking in the hallways. Everyday we returned to the airport, only to find that our flight was cancelled yet again. So we would return to our sketchy hotel with no wi-fi.

Our airline refused to re-route our flight. They told us to contact our booking agent. Our booking agent told us they couldn't help, only the airline could. So both companies blamed the other and we received zero help. The only option was to WAIT in China for an unknown amount of days or even weeks until the kathmandu airport re-opened.

Our vacation was dwindling away and we didn't want to be stuck in China for one more second let alone another week. So finally AFTER FOUR DAYS of stress and sickness, we gave in. We bought new plane tickets and completely re-routed our vacation.

We turned to World Nomads, hoping they would be our safety net. Well after a month and a half of phone calls, emails, receipts, documents, and waiting around for a decision (and then for an appeal decision) we are still out of luck. We claimed over $2,000 worth of expenses. World Nomads only offered $48 of assistance.

The most frustrating part is - they said our circumstances did not qualify as a "trip interruption"! I understand that they have to stick to the policies, but it felt ridiculous. What my wife and I experienced was most certainly a trip interruption. If it wasn't, I don't know what is. But because it didn't fit perfectly into the policy, we received absolutely 0 help for all of the costly plane tickets that it took to re-route our vacation.

I had hoped World Nomads travel insurance would be different than other insurance carriers, as their online presence and website portrays them to be. I definitely will not be using their services again.

In a word - No.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 13, 2012

No...say No to World Nomads so called travel insurance. Unfortunately we experienced baggage theft, it took over four months of calls and correspondence to get "particial" payment, to meet all the fine print requirements. The story is too endless, the bottom line is after submitting all the receipts they only paid part of the amount, they said we did not send in all the necessary data, I explained / pointed out to the claims examiner yes we had in fact sent all the data. She reluntantly looked again and said oh yes, here it is, okay we will send you another check. If I had not of "fought" with them for four months would not have gotten a dime!

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Paxton03, I believe we have been investigating this claim on your behalf. If you are still unsatisfied, please email me at katrina[at]worldnomads.com and I can explain how you can activate th... read more »

Update - Katrina did investigate and paid the claim plus additional cost, they made this wrong a right. Katrina was very responsive and stated they were making several changes in order to meet the customer's requirements.

• 1 review
  • 9 helpful votes

Disgusting

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2012

I was a loyal World Nomads client for many years and had many policies over that time.

The first claim I tried to make was for a stolen camera in Cambodia. The camera was kept in a case with other camera gear and as the hotel didn’t have a room safe I locked it in my suitcase. The last couple of days in Cambodia I didn’t have a need for the camera so didn’t get it out. When I arrived back in Australia and unpacked my suitcase I found the camera case was missing the camera.

I lodged a claim with World Nomads and after a month or so of grilling, sending more information and them demanding the originals of the warranty and instruction manuals the claim was rejected.

The basis of their rejection was I didn’t have a police report (how could I get one in Cambodia as I didn’t know it was stolen and even if I did the police are so corrupt it would have taken $$$ and days) and they also said they don’t cover cameras transported as check-on luggage. As you can see they tried a number of angles to reject the claim when both don’t stack up. I even paid the extra dollars for specific item coverage including the camera.

World Nomads treated me like a criminal so I now use another insurance company and have told the dozen or people I put onto World Nomads to also never use them. Disgusting!!!

- Treat you like a criminal!

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Wingz, We do take this feedback seriously and you can request a formal investigation of your claim if you wish. Can you send me your policy number katrina[at]worldnomads.com and I can ask our... read more »

• 1 review
  • 8 helpful votes

Reminds me if the movie Rain Man

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2011

Were to start: Yes there under writers are hard to contact, don't return your emails, calls and a rude.
Has for Nomads.. hmmm All bling, and no substance.
I have had 4 polices with this company,and since they sold out in i think 2008/9 it has gone to the pack.
Before that you got personal/quick/and polite service.

As for the rain-man, Issue, yes they will get out of a claim if they can, by delaying,denying,and or telling you to end your holiday and go home, knowing that once you touch down in your own country, it then, releases them of ANY obligation.
There is a lot of facts and info I could paste on here, but it is personal.
To cut along story short, if you have any problems with this company take it all the way, go through the process.
But don't think you will get any decent apology, even though it has been confirmed that they were in the wrong.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Toby We do take this feedback seriously. I am very sorry that you were unsatisfied with our service. Can you send me your policy number katrina[at]worldnomads.com and we can review your claim... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 comments
  • 8 helpful votes

wont respond to emails

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2011

I had a 20,000 dollar claim. They were a nightmare the whole way through. I was constantly chasing up the money that wasnt paid. 18 months later I am now in the collectors hands in Austria as they never paid a bill.

I was told on an email to them that they would pay for a knocked out tooth under medical if the accident happened where other damage was had to the body. I had broken my arm, sliced my head open, fractured my back and knocked my tooth out. They then would only cover me for $500 to fix my tooth.

I am now trying to write to them about why my bill hasnt been paid. I am getting no response to any of my emails.

This is the worst company i have dealt with and since this claim I have now moved on to STA travel.
Cheap is not always best when it comes to travel insurance!!

- dont stick by what they say

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Snopark,

Please allow us to investigate this claim on your behalf. Can you send me your policy number to chris[at]worldnomads.com and we'll look into it asap.

Chris Noble
General Manager
WorldNomads.com

WNAUS09021722-01-96‏ I still don´t have the money to get my tooth fixed properly from this accident. I have the emails that were sent to me saying that I would be covered under hospital cover if ... read more »

Thank You James, I am currently going through a claim for an accident where i was broken all over nearly!! I have now been told that World Nomads wont cover me for more than $500 on my teeth. ... read more »

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Stay away from World Nomads!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2016

Apparently, theft from your checked-in luggage is not covered as it is 'unattended'. It also seems that they are able to avoid paying a claim by defining items as 'valuables', which they do not cover without an additional premium. Unfortunately for us, that definition is left to World Nomads so could include anything.

I had high hopes for World Nomads, but they refused my claim when my sunnies were stolen from my luggage en-route from Bangkok to Kathmandu via Mumbai. Sadly they are just another profit driven insurance company and are not interested in being fair to their customers.

Happy travels!

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Mzungu Phil, Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I'm sorry to hear that your sunnies were stolen from your luggage en-route from Bangkok to Kathmandu via Mumbai. If you'd like me ... read more »

Readers may be interested to know that I replied to Matt at World Nomads and informed him that I Would like to take him up in his offer to review my claim. That was 3 weeks ago and I have heard not... read more »

World Nomads Official

Hi Mzungu Phil, Thanks for your follow up post. Unfortunately there was an error with the help@worldnomads.com email address which has since been fixed. We take customer service very seriou... read more »

• 2 comments
  • 1 answer

Insurance claim made

Worst travel insurance excess on every claims

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 24, 2015

I was misleading With the layout of the page and took the more expensive option thinking I choose the one with no excess none of my medical claims were taken all fall under the excess waste of time...

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Soraya. I am sorry to hear that you felt mislead by the page layout as this is never our intention. If you let me know what country you are from (email help@worldnomads,com with these details) ... read more »

Thank you, I did let you know, and it still the same! No change... Also, everyone should read the tiny prints as the food is not included in case of an emergency, only the hospital one, so if one f... read more »

World Nomads Official

Hi Soraya. You are absolutely right in that everyone should read the small print and we always ask that you do before buying a policy (we even ask you to tick a box to say you have read it before... read more »

Selected review Insurance claim made

One star is one star too many!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 10, 2013

I took out a policy with World Nomads as I was going to an area that was isolated and needed the reassurance of emergency evacuation if things went wrong. I had used them in the past, but never needed any assistance during those trips. I received a serious injury to my foot while surfing in Indonesia. I knew as soon as it occurred that I was in need of urgent medical assistance. My friend phoned the assistance line for me as I was in no state to do so. They were of little help and advised us that it was best if I made my own way to the nearest hospital. This was six hours away, so I organised my own transport to get there.

Upon my arrival, the hospital had not even been notified that I would be coming (they did have 6 hours to do this and knew what hospital I was going to!!) Once again, more phone calls were made in attempt to get World Nomads to help me. It wasn't until I forked out my own money that I received an X-ray. It came back as a lisfranc fracture/ dislocation which required immediate surgery.Even after receiving this information, World Nomads gave me the run around. I had to once again pay up my money before anything would happen. It ended up being 10 hours before I received any pain killers for my injury and only because I payed up.

Following surgery in a third world country, I just wanted to get home. Here the trouble started again. It took my sister in excess of 10 phone calls to get anything happening. At one point my sister was told that my accident didn't warrant repatriation because it was only a dislocated toe. I now have major surgery coming up in Australia with pins, plates and screws; not to mention a 12 month recovery.

After multiple calls between London and Australia, all of a sudden they were worried about my health and the risk of DVT if I was flown out. Their suggestion was another 2-3 days in hospital (my guess is that they could then get me on a cheap economy flight home). Finally flights were granted for later in the day, but my sister had to fight so hard to make it happen.

I've been home now for two weeks waiting for swelling to subside before further surgery. I put forward my complaints to World Nomads, who told me that this was not the way they generally ran their business. I was promised a phone call back following investigation into my complaint. That was due a week ago and I still haven't heard back from them. No surprise really, given the care I've been given so far.

Never again! Find yourself another insurer because World Nomads will not help you!!

+ Website sold their product well

- Emergency evacuation promoted but not provided, service providers giving clients the run around while in emergency situation, rude care providers, World Nomads don't know the Countries they are offering insurance to, failure to follow through on promises during and after injury.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hello BB, I am so sorry that you have been so unhappy with the service you have received. This is certainly not the experience we expect for our travellers (or your family). Please send me conf... read more »

Perth

Insurance claim made

Emergency dental treatment abroad?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2012

My wife and I decided to go for this travel insurance with World Nomads. They would reimburse emergency dental treatment, but a tooth breaking off did not lead to any reimbursement. They said that the tooth had once been treated (8 years ago) and was therefore not 'natural, whole". So if you have any teeth that are in perfect order and have never been treated you might have a chance. Otherwise, it is the same as a lot of these so-called insurance companies: don't bother, they'll find a way not to pay out. Useless insurance and Lonely Planets should be ashamed of becoming involved. Andre de Koning

- they don't pay out

• 16 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

You're better off burning your money in a bonfire than giving it to World Nomads

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2012

I became very ill while traveling in Vietnam. I called WN and was instructed to go to the hospital to seek treatment. I did as they directed and was horrified to find the care at the hospital less than satisfactory. I called WN back to inform them of the sub-par medical care given (like drawing my blood from the inside of my wrist and trying to give me anti-psychotic medication for a bad headache.)

They offered little assistance or advise on what I should do next. On my own I decided to fly to Bangkok and go to a hospital there. Once there I received the proper medical attention and medication.

I then submitted my paperwork to WN and within days my claims were denied. The list of the reasons of denial ranged from not having prepaid travel expenses, not having the documents in English, and having paperwork without any dates on them and many more. All these reasons were false and a mere fact of the obvious mental shortcomings of the agent in charge of my claim. Over MANY emails all the denial reasons were pointed out to her and resolved. The solutions were as simple as telling her to look in the upper right hand corner for the date of treatment.

Just when I thought everything was all set, she required even more paperwork that mysteriously and inexplicably wasn't needed before. The reason for this she claimed was to make sure my medical illness wasn't a pre-existing medical condition. This I found extremely aggravating because it was obvious that NW was now trying to find any small reason to deny my claim. The most absurd part of the whole process is that I went to the hospital in the first place because I had been bitten by an animal and was worried that I had contracted Rabies. Last time I checked Rabies wasn't a pre-existing condition.

So now I am in the process of trying to prove to the nitwit in charge of my claim that all the treatment for which I am seeking reimbursement are not from pre-existing conditions.

In summary I would rather burn hundreds of dollars on the doorstep of WN than let their criminal and greedy fingers get even 1 more cent of my money.

- [censored words removed] claim's agents, unhelpful customer service agents, time waster's hoping you'll eventually give up so they don't have to pay out your claim

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hello I am very sorry that your experience with our assistance and claims service teams have not met your expectations. We do take this feedback very seriously and will initiate a review of ... read more »

brisbane

• 6 helpful votes

No meal refund at all

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 31, 2015

The worst insurance ever not only every claim got an excess of $100 but in case of illness not even a meal allowance or a bottle of water just hospital food! What about the other family members expect to be out of pocket with this insurance!

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Shade. The policy has never covered meal expenses for family members who travel to or are already with a family member who is covered by the policy and who is hospitalised. A meal is part of any... read more »

Exactly- I wish you could have explained to me when I rang instead, you are lurking forums... Please, I am not interested in your comments anymore I was when I rang so please refrain yourself from replying.

1 of 13 pages