Filter By:
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2010

World Nomads provides all the services that I need for traveling, and everything including the service and the coverage and fast on-line transaction is very convenient for the on-the-move traveller like me, I'll purchase their service next time when I travel abroad.

+ Quick transaction, good coverage, affordable price, flexible extension

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 helpful vote

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2010

Nomads offfered comprehensive cover at a reasonable price. They offered the ability to extend cover and include extras! It seems reliable and i would recommend it to others!

+ easy to access and update online, secure, informative!

- none so far!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Insurance claim made

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2010

Way too hard to get my money out of them! Every time i send them new information it takes them 2 weeks to look and it and then they just write back saying "we need some more information which we didnt ask for last time".

+ Easy, all online. Can extend your policy easily (although expensive)

- Has taken a LONG time to resolve my claims, still not paid. Not happy!

• 13 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2010

If a company will not pay out on a small claim then you can have no assurance that if you had a large medical bill they would assist. SHOP ELSEWHERE

- Made a small claim for lost binoculars which they failed to honour.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2010

They offer a competitively priced insurance package that really works for people who like to travel for an extended period of time. It's the only company I know of where travel insurance can be purchased after you've left your country of origin/destination - this has been very useful for me.

+ easy to use & book online. Love the fact that you can apply for insurance if you've already left home. Fast response to questions online, helpful staff. Reminder notices about when your insurance expires

- It's not possible to update all your information online. In fact I am now registered with two different countries of residency as I was unable to delete the first membership....not sure how that will work if I need to be repatriated!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2011

Don't buy this insurance if you are going to developing countries or areas such as South East Asia. Their terms and conditions are probably fine for first world countries but not if you're going somewhere off the beaten track.

+ It's cheap and easy to buy.

- No good for developing/third world countriesExpensive to extendClaims are handled by another company who are completely unresponsive

Minimum payouts

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 08, 2011

I had two claims with these guys: 1) Mexicana went bankrupt. I had brought $500 of flights. Small print excluded company bankruptcies. No payout. 2) I had a bag stolen. contents: $600 3 year old camera. $150 cash. credit cards, licence. $800 value total. World nomads paid out $250 for the camera and $40 for the drivers license. minus $100 excess = $190 payout. Summary: over $1300 of losses. I was paid out $190. I paid over $300 for the insurance. Why bother??? These guys make it really easy to buy the insurance, but have all sorts of small print to make sure that they still make money off you, even when you make a claim.

+ Easy to buy. buy from anywhere. Easy to buy last minute.

- Don't pay out full amounts and have clauses to stop you getting paid.

READ THE VERY SMALL FINE PRINT

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2011

Last year I used World Nomads Travel Insurance for an overseas holiday. I thought what they offered was good but I failed to read the small print.

My flight from Paris to New York was cancelled due to civil unrest and so I had no alternative but to purchase 2 tickets with Air France (ECONOMY) total cost was approx $6600

On return to Sydney I rang World Nomads to make a claim but as they directed me to the fine print it clearly indicated that a cancellation was only covered prior to departure ex Sydney and that I was the one who instigated the cancellation.

I then read other travel insurance travel sites and it was quite clear that I used the wrong insurance provider. They are not all the same or equal.

+ Cheap

- Their wording in the brochure not the same in the fine print

• 2 comments
  • 8 helpful votes

wont respond to emails

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2011

I had a 20,000 dollar claim. They were a nightmare the whole way through. I was constantly chasing up the money that wasnt paid. 18 months later I am now in the collectors hands in Austria as they never paid a bill.

I was told on an email to them that they would pay for a knocked out tooth under medical if the accident happened where other damage was had to the body. I had broken my arm, sliced my head open, fractured my back and knocked my tooth out. They then would only cover me for $500 to fix my tooth.

I am now trying to write to them about why my bill hasnt been paid. I am getting no response to any of my emails.

This is the worst company i have dealt with and since this claim I have now moved on to STA travel.
Cheap is not always best when it comes to travel insurance!!

- dont stick by what they say

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Snopark,

Please allow us to investigate this claim on your behalf. Can you send me your policy number to chris[at]worldnomads.com and we'll look into it asap.

Chris Noble
General Manager
WorldNomads.com

WNAUS09021722-01-96‏ I still don´t have the money to get my tooth fixed properly from this accident. I have the emails that were sent to me saying that I would be covered under hospital cover if ... read more »

Thank You James, I am currently going through a claim for an accident where i was broken all over nearly!! I have now been told that World Nomads wont cover me for more than $500 on my teeth. ... read more »

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 21, 2011

Don't touch them - they will take ages to respond and then ask the same question that you have already answered. Pay a little more and deal with a company that will honour its part of the contract in a reasonable time frame.

+ Cheap and easy to take out the policy - excellent as long as you don't need to make a claim.

- My claim was made in September 2009 and now almost into April 2010 it still has not been completely settled.

FULHAM, SA

• 1 question
  • 7 answers
  • 16 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 15, 2011

I went to Europe for nearly 12 months and I thought the price was pretty reasonable. Good price, secure - happy

+ Didn't fill my emails with marketing!

- No issues wiht them

• 8 helpful votes

Reminds me if the movie Rain Man

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2011

Were to start: Yes there under writers are hard to contact, don't return your emails, calls and a rude.
Has for Nomads.. hmmm All bling, and no substance.
I have had 4 polices with this company,and since they sold out in i think 2008/9 it has gone to the pack.
Before that you got personal/quick/and polite service.

As for the rain-man, Issue, yes they will get out of a claim if they can, by delaying,denying,and or telling you to end your holiday and go home, knowing that once you touch down in your own country, it then, releases them of ANY obligation.
There is a lot of facts and info I could paste on here, but it is personal.
To cut along story short, if you have any problems with this company take it all the way, go through the process.
But don't think you will get any decent apology, even though it has been confirmed that they were in the wrong.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Toby We do take this feedback seriously. I am very sorry that you were unsatisfied with our service. Can you send me your policy number katrina[at]worldnomads.com and we can review your claim... read more »

• 1 review
  • 17 helpful votes

Bunch of thieves!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2011

Do not buy from this company!

We bought this insurance for our honeymoon, and on the day we were leaving, half of our flights had been cancelled by the airline due to scheduling problems. We had to buy new flights and accommodation due to this and we put a claim in with the travel insurance. After a few weeks they asked for documents from the airline describing why the flights were cancelled. Luckily, we thought, we were able to obtain this document while we were in the airline's home country. We sent this document to them, 3 weeks later I asked for an update, and we were informed that they denied the insurance claim (roughly $900) because we weren't covered for airlines cancelling flights. What exactly are we paying these thieves for?? Trust me don't buy insurance from this company they will find ways not to pay your claim.

- they will find ways not to pay your claim

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Dan & Lorin, We do take this feedback seriously and we can investigate this further with our insurer and the claims team. Can you send me your policy number katrina[at]worldnomads.com and I c... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 08, 2012

I found this insurance really good too. just used it for a skiing trip i went on and fractured my leg :( but i just sent in all the forms online and they paid all the medical bills! was very pleased.

definitely would recommend!

[link removed]

+ was quick and easy to buy and claim!

- was overall happy

• 9 helpful votes

Disgusting

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2012

I was a loyal World Nomads client for many years and had many policies over that time.

The first claim I tried to make was for a stolen camera in Cambodia. The camera was kept in a case with other camera gear and as the hotel didn’t have a room safe I locked it in my suitcase. The last couple of days in Cambodia I didn’t have a need for the camera so didn’t get it out. When I arrived back in Australia and unpacked my suitcase I found the camera case was missing the camera.

I lodged a claim with World Nomads and after a month or so of grilling, sending more information and them demanding the originals of the warranty and instruction manuals the claim was rejected.

The basis of their rejection was I didn’t have a police report (how could I get one in Cambodia as I didn’t know it was stolen and even if I did the police are so corrupt it would have taken $$$ and days) and they also said they don’t cover cameras transported as check-on luggage. As you can see they tried a number of angles to reject the claim when both don’t stack up. I even paid the extra dollars for specific item coverage including the camera.

World Nomads treated me like a criminal so I now use another insurance company and have told the dozen or people I put onto World Nomads to also never use them. Disgusting!!!

- Treat you like a criminal!

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Wingz, We do take this feedback seriously and you can request a formal investigation of your claim if you wish. Can you send me your policy number katrina[at]worldnomads.com and I can ask our... read more »

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2012

I haven't had to make a claim yet (touch wood!) but I've heard World Nomads is good. They offer good coverage and are cheaper than all the alternatives I've looked in to.

+ Cheap compared to others and covers everything the other companies do and what I need. Quick transaction.

- nothing yet!

Perth

• 1 comment

No, nashi, nein, nej

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2012

I broke my leg in Japan whilst holding an insurance policy with World Nomads . I can definitely relate to the reviewers below who have had to fight every step of the process. In my experience the emergency assistance team (world nomads terminology for their call center) focused on ways to avoid a payout by searching for opportunities to deny my claim, refusing to return my calls/emails, unnecessarily dragging out the process through continual requests for information already supplied and by blaming delays on the underwriters or their international agencies.

I was in pain, on medication, not mobile and isolated from my friends and family but never received anything close to a how are you from world nomads during the entire process. It took over a week to get confirmation for surgery (the medical deadline was 14 days), 3 weeks for the hospital to receive payment and a further week to have transportation home arranged. Over this time I made more than 30 phone calls and received a handful of responses. Following my release there was a refusal to accept responsibility for my flight home or any of the 2 month rehabilitation recommended by the orthopedic surgeon.

The customer service and coverage provided by world nomads is appalling. I was basically left to fend for myself abroad and found it easier to communicate with the non-English speaking Japanese hospital staff than the emergency assistance team. I was warned by staff upon omission to hospital about World Nomads and they most definitely lived up to their reputation. In hindsight, I should have done more research about travel insurance before I left. Hopefully this review will help someone avoid my experience. Use another insurance company.

- Horrible customer service, no communication

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Philip, I am very sorry that your experience with our Emergency Assistance and customer services teams did not meet your expectations. I do hope you are recovering well at home after your su... read more »

Hello Katrina, Thank you for the response. I am currently putting together a formal complaint and will shortly submit via written response. I am done playing phone tennis with team world no... read more »

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2012

I've left better travel insurers in the toilet bowl. Horribly obstructive processes. If you even have a chane of making a claim, find a different insurer.

+ Cheap

- obstructive, uninformative and rude staff, slow claims process and unsatisfactory treatment of its clients. I have been with many other travel insurers, and this is without doubt the worst. Pay the extra $5 and you might actually be able to make a claim. I have made 2 claims - both legitimate. 1 rejected, 4 months on they are still processing my documentation. "We will contact you within 10 working days" has now been 5 weeks, and the whole process was begun in early August.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 16 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

You're better off burning your money in a bonfire than giving it to World Nomads

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2012

I became very ill while traveling in Vietnam. I called WN and was instructed to go to the hospital to seek treatment. I did as they directed and was horrified to find the care at the hospital less than satisfactory. I called WN back to inform them of the sub-par medical care given (like drawing my blood from the inside of my wrist and trying to give me anti-psychotic medication for a bad headache.)

They offered little assistance or advise on what I should do next. On my own I decided to fly to Bangkok and go to a hospital there. Once there I received the proper medical attention and medication.

I then submitted my paperwork to WN and within days my claims were denied. The list of the reasons of denial ranged from not having prepaid travel expenses, not having the documents in English, and having paperwork without any dates on them and many more. All these reasons were false and a mere fact of the obvious mental shortcomings of the agent in charge of my claim. Over MANY emails all the denial reasons were pointed out to her and resolved. The solutions were as simple as telling her to look in the upper right hand corner for the date of treatment.

Just when I thought everything was all set, she required even more paperwork that mysteriously and inexplicably wasn't needed before. The reason for this she claimed was to make sure my medical illness wasn't a pre-existing medical condition. This I found extremely aggravating because it was obvious that NW was now trying to find any small reason to deny my claim. The most absurd part of the whole process is that I went to the hospital in the first place because I had been bitten by an animal and was worried that I had contracted Rabies. Last time I checked Rabies wasn't a pre-existing condition.

So now I am in the process of trying to prove to the nitwit in charge of my claim that all the treatment for which I am seeking reimbursement are not from pre-existing conditions.

In summary I would rather burn hundreds of dollars on the doorstep of WN than let their criminal and greedy fingers get even 1 more cent of my money.

- [censored words removed] claim's agents, unhelpful customer service agents, time waster's hoping you'll eventually give up so they don't have to pay out your claim

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hello I am very sorry that your experience with our assistance and claims service teams have not met your expectations. We do take this feedback very seriously and will initiate a review of ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 5 helpful votes

Beware of Fine Print

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2012

Purchased travel insurance for my daughter before her skiing trip to Austria. I thought that World Nomads which promotes themselves as the provider for covering the adventurous traveler is the right one: "...Cover yourself skiing and snowboarding...In short, recreational skiing or snowboarding at resorts is covered. You are covered for skiing & snowboarding in the areas designated 'safe' by ski resort staff within the designated areas of a ski resorts boundaries...."
they advertise on their site - here: http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-insurance/ski-and-snowboard-insurance.aspx

Unfortunately, their standard package to which you are led thru the process excludes snow related accidents and after the fact we discovered that their higher priced package was the one that covered what we needed.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Leda,

As you know, we have been investigating this claim on your behalf. If you are still unsatisfied, please email me at katrina[at]worldnomads.com.

with thanks,

Katrina Greeves
Product Marketing Manager
WorldNomads.com

I have to admit that World Nomads did listen! The General Manager was not shy into rolling up his sleeves to find out what happened - and as a result a significant copy change was made on the websi... read more »

1 of 13 pages