Filter By:

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Explorer doesnt cover what you would expect. Never using them again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2018

Airline (air france, never using them again either) failed to get me to my destination of tokyo for a ski tour. Stranded in charles degaulle airport without my luggage (they lost that too) for 16 hours. No hotel provided by air france. I gave up and flew home after being awake for over 36 hours.

Tried claiming for a trip cancellation- they said ‘nope, you’d left your country of origin’. I’d made it as far as my connecting airport.... that’s it. Then tried claiming for trip abandonment (i was going to miss my rendezvous with the tour and no snowboard gear means little point in carrying on). But I couldn’t claim for trip abandonment once i’d started my journey.

There is no provision for cover (even explorer cover) for the loss of gear that precludes the point of the trip in the first place. Marketed as for ‘explorers’, if the airline loses your ski, snowboard, scuba, surf gear etc what are you supposed to do? Rent gear in the backwoods of northern Honshu? Replace gear worth thousands in a foreign country with the hope you might be able to claim it back? You can’t claim for the total loss of the trip despite not having the gear needed for said trip.

I lost over £2k through this sham of ‘explorer cover’. Don’t do the same. Make provisions, do your research.

Lack of integrity

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

I tried to resolve this in the most amicable way possible but their tone to me was just condescending and unempathetic. I can't even begin to imagine what would happen if I needed to make a claim with them.

My birthday was not captured correctly and I contacted World Nomads immediately to amend it. They could not do it and required that I cancel and repurchase the policy. I declined and said I wanted my money back because the process was too convoluted.

By the time they had a definite answer from the underwriters, my trip has concluded. In their email to me, they mentioned that I "have not been insured correctly" for my trip. And in their explanation to me regarding why they did not want to refund me, they said, "Policy WNAUS18518521 would have provided cover for your trip, and in the event of a claim, we would have reserved the right to obtain the additional premium from you for your correct age."

How shocking is this lack of integrity? My premium was less than $100 but it wasn't the lost of money which was disappointing but the sheer lack of empathy from them. I am disgusted.

It is true that little people will find it hard to get just recourse from big companies, but hopefully this review will shed some light on some of the issues which might arise if one chooses to go with them. Caveat emptor and safe travels

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi I.L, Thanks for your feedback on your recent experience. I apologise for the run-around you were given when trying to amend your DOB - we don't want to make things difficult when they do... read more »

No need for platitudes on social media if there is no sincerity to rectify. Simply posting your email address isn’t sufficient in this day and age but I wish your company all the best. If this lack... read more »

Save yourself!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2018

I made the mistake of relying on travel bloggers' recommendations for travel insurance and not reading these reviews prior to purchasing. My experience has been similar to most of the 1-2 star reviews.

The original claim form only requested medical receipts, which I submitted May 29th. On June 14th, I received an email requesting more documentation. Had I known this information was needed, I would have submitted it with my original claim form instead of wasting two weeks waiting for the request. I responded to the email with all documentation on the 18th. On the 24th, I noticed my claim status online still reflected that they requested information and I had 21 days to respond, so I emailed back asking for confirmation that they received the info and asking for an approximate date that my claim will be processed.

By July 2nd, no one had responded to my emails so I attempted to call. I waited on hold for a long time (collecting international call fees) and could not even use their call back feature since I had an international number. I finally gave up and sent yet another email. Realizing this email address probably won't bother responding, I forwarded the email to another address I found online. The next day, I received an automated email stating the documentation I submitted had been received. What?? Where was it this whole time??

Today, July 6th, I receive an email (finally from a human) stating the attachments were not successfully sent in my email. Well yes, because I forwarded my original email to another address in hopes that someone would respond. I didn't realize the email address requesting the documents wouldn't bother sending the information to the email address that actually processes those documents.

So 5 weeks later, I have barely managed to get someone to ask me for my documentation again. All backpackers out there probably know what it would feel like to have no clue when/if a $2000+ claim will be processed. To add insult to injury, my travel insurance was going to expire soon after I originally submitted my claim, so I purchased another 3-month policy not knowing how terrible the experience was going to be. I don't know if I should be angry that I wasted more money on World Nomads, or hope I don't have another incident that I have to claim through them.

Update: it’s now July 27th, I had already submitted the last of what they requested from me, and I received an email stating I needed to resubmit my attachments. I was hoping to give them a chance and update my review, but I feel like I need to chop off the hand I got surgery on and mail it in to get just a tad bit closer to getting my claim processed.

Absolute Scam for Adventure Sports, AVOID

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

Although their Explorer policy appears to be the best travel insurance for adventure sports like back country skiing or snowboarding the moment you try and make a claim you realize that they are a complete scam.

I had to get helicopter rescued in Switzerland as I was stuck at the top of a 300 foot cliff, but they didn't pay as I didn't have a medical condition at the time of rescue. I was at risk of dying if I moved any direction, however as my leg was not broken I was not covered. I had thought this was the exact type of situation I was buying Explorer coverage for?!

Also, I had a trip cancelation due to unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances out of my control and they also did not cover this although I provided all documentation.

It sucks because I had purchased World Nomads many times before and I thought this was the best insurance for my travels and sporting interests.

I started to realize it was probably a scam when I was attempting to navigate their member's portal on their website. It seems to be intentionally buggy, requires you to login multiples times, the claim section is somewhat hidden, and then a lot of claims can't be made online anyhow. Even when you call them they can't look up your policy by being given your policy number. What?!

It really sucks that the difference between their website and sign-up process is so different to when you actually have to make a claim. If buy special adventure travel insurance for backcountry snowboarding and needs to be rescued literally to avoid death but it doesn't cover, why not just buy regular travel insurance?

Although their marketing makes them seem like the best choice for adventure activities they'll do their best to avoid paying any claims.

Sydney

Very poor, stay away

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2018

Easy to sign up, impossible to discuss a claim. No response to email after 8 days. Hopeless, rip off, stay away

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Rob,

Thanks for reaching out.

I've checked the inbox and can see that all emails are under 24 hours.

Can you please send your email through to help@worldnomads.com?

World Nomads.

Matt, 9 days, no reply. check 23.06. sorry. nothing here. It's just been a rubbish experience and talk of depriciating my lost items.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Don't expect support when you need it!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Purchased the Explorer plan (Most Expensive) and when I had a Injury and had to go to 2 different hospitals (very poor one available on the village in and big one after in the city) there was no support before or after the claim. The insurance always asked me to pay up front and never helped with any support (either information on where to go or how to proceed). I spent more than 400 Eur between Doctor Appointment fees and transportation to go on the city and do the necessary exams. When you presented the exhausting list of documents required they ask you 2 weeks to analyse the case and with good lawyers find a way to interpret the insurance contract and escape from paying anything.
In my case they told: I did not get their prior approval for traveling to a better hospital in the city.
Although I reported the accident and told them I was in a Indonesian Island with a very poor hospital (smaller then a house) with no equipment and might need to do exams in a bigger hospital.
The insurance replied: We hope you feel better and please pay up front and make the claim after on our web site form.
I would like to mention I did send pictures bleeding a lot on my chest and later medical reports about the dislocated shoulder injury together with all the paper work requested on the exhausting Online Claim section of the World Nomads.
Totally a Scam!!!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Filipe,

Can you please email your details through to help@worldnomads.com so I can look into this for you?

Poor

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 05, 2018

Claim form online extremely hard and annoying to fill up. Emergency number not working. I was on a car accident and found out they are not covering anything. Not even sunglasses for some funny reason? The first and the last time.

Avoid at all costs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 11, 2018

Pulling teeth is easier than making a claim with this company. From a terrible website that sends you through numerous dead ends when attempting to make a claim to a communications department that will make every attempt to ignore you and your claim. I have been absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of World Nomads and will never insure through them again.

Sydney

Lying, cheating claims department

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 26, 2018

After my rental car was broken into during the day in France I did everything right. Reported it to Police, contacted the insurer and submitted my claim when I got home.

I was required to pay for a translator to translate the police report into English otherwise they wouldn't accept the claim.

After several weeks I was informed that I couldn't claim the loss of my passports or high value items as they do not cover for those items stolen from cars. They gave me a measly few hundred dollars for the clothes that were stolen and wouldn't pay the rest of the claim.

When I pointed out the Policy refers to 'non-daylight hours' they said there was another clause excluding high value items and passports at ANY TIME.

The Policy document is 68 pages long and the clause they rely on is two lines long. The policy effectively covers nothing and is inconsistent with itself.

What is the point of insurance when you do everything right, pay huge fees and ask for help in an emergency?
You get nothing.

Do not insure yourselves with this company

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Ben, While the policy document is 68 pages long, all of the baggage cover in the Australian policy is listed across 6 pages. These pages also include including tables. The reason why the tables... read more »

Brunswick

Absolutely atrocious customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2017

After dislocating and breaking my shoulder and damaging my rotator cuff in Australia, I began to submit a claim status for my injuries. The customer service was absolutely horrible - the after hours help line for their American subsidiary/partner, TripMate, was useless. They couldn't provide any information or help. Their emergency line hung up on me when I asked who I could contact regarding questions about the claims forum as well. Rude & incompetent staff, not to mention that their online claim process isn't even online. They require you to print out numerous forms, assume international call costs, and provide non existent customer service during hours reasonable for someone living in Australia. It's like they've designed it to deter people from having the patience to actually submit a claim. It's pretty crappy having to wake up at ungodly hours with serious injuries just to get hung up on by some rude woman who doesn't feel like doing her job.

Would not ever recommend this company again. Unprofessional, poorly organized, and overly complicated claims process.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Spencer, I'm sorry to hear that you broke your shoulder in Australia. We take your feedback very seriously. The last thing we want for our travelers is a bad customer service experience, esp... read more »

Update: 6 weeks later, I haven't seen a dime. 10k+ in impending bills for surgery, ambulance, hospital, physio, etc. World Nomads subsidiary, Trip Mates is quite literally a hive of villainy, and I... read more »

Edmonton

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Phone got stolen and they say it's not covered

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

I used this company for over a year and only made a few medical claims, but a week before my trip ended, my bag which had my phone, credit card, and other ID in it was stolen on the beach in Barcelona. I was in the water but my friends were on the beach watching over our stuff and it was still stolen - they say they can't pay my claim because it wasn't being supervised, but it clearly was. Am I supposed to bring my belongings with me into the water every time I go to the beach or a pool? They keep telling me that it wasn't supervised, when I've made it very clear that it was. I made a police report in Barcelona and have all the receipts and documents showing what was stolen. This is ridiculous, people get travel insurance for situations like just this. I won't be using this company again if they can't even protect my belongings when they get stolen. My laptop also got damaged because someone spilt water on it and they won't do anything about that because "mechanical malfunctions" aren't covered, even though it isn't just a random malfunction but a result of damage. I'm so exhausted trying to talk to this company and explain my situation as I always get the same response back and no help at all.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi PaigeH, Thanks for getting in touch. Can you please send your policy number and details to help@worldnomads.com, and I'll look further into your claim to see what options you have. All the b... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

I won't use them again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Don't choose world nomads. They would not even refund me the remainder of my travel insurance when part way through a working holiday my travel companion/girlfriend had a family emergency. It was her immediate family and she was very upset. Most companies will refund a remainder of insurance if you cancel trip part way through for emergency. Insurance should help you in these unfortunate situations and usually does. But when I submitted a claim they gave me no money, not even refund for remainder of policy. My girlfriend's company had refund policy no questions asked. Please choose another company.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Andrew,

We've replied to your other two reviews.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Exasperating and futile attempts to communicate when making a claim.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2017

I developed high altitude sickness at a course given at 12,000 feet in Ladakh, India and needed to fly immediately to a lower elevation to recover. In Delhi I made my claim because I could not return to the 10 day course I paid for and had only been there 2 days. The TripMate website that WorldNomads uses for claims quickly demonstrated that there was no intention to sincerely communicate with me. Questions and answers from the TripMate 'agents' did not demonstrate any knowledge of my case; they were generic questions that were asked over and over again. I answered over and over again but never felt that any individual was actually helping me or that any effort was made to read the information packet I sent them which contained all of the requested receipts and letters to back up my claim. NEVER did anyone call me; NEVER was I able to contact an agent in person though I spent hours on a phone line trying to contact a person. TripMate handles claims only using email; very controlled without direct contact with a person. The agents names-first name only- change with every question posted.

My husband was fully reimbursed as my traveling partner within 2 weeks of making his claim using a different trip insurance company. I would never recommend this company and am writing this review to steer others away from making the mistake I did. ABSOLUTELY NO to TripMate/World Nomads.

Insurance claim made

Scam! They won't even acknowledge our claim

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 18, 2017

To whom it may concern,

It's been over 3 weeks since we filed our claim and no one has been in touch with us. We called trip mate USA and they gave us a fake email when we asked where to send our additional information. I have purchased this insurance more than once and recommended it to so many friends, yet this is the first time I actually need it and it seems like a huge scam.
Acknowledge your customers!! We will be posting this message as a review of your deserving one star, also will recommend everyone who is still on the roads to call their CC and cancel their insurance because it's non existent.

Here are pictures of documents you required a NOMAD to have while traveling in the middle of nowhere. RIDICULOUS!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Fiona,

I've responded to your other review and will continue to email you.

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

They are a scam company -they owe me around $6000 and haven't paid in four months

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

I took their coverage for medical and emergency evacuation. I am a US citizen. I have submitted the reimbursement receipts and proof of travel. They will keep deflecting and not paying you. They are interested in your money, not in actually being there when you need them, what they CLAIM they are there for. It's a scam company. Do NOT take insurance from them. They are AWFUL and unethical. In the US they'd have a class action lawsuit against them, and I will now explore that option.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Vasu, Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that you feel as though the claims team are deflecting you. They work to strict turnaround times, and if all required documentation has been... read more »

Newcastle

• 2 comments

Insurance claim made

Warning! The worst travel insurance company by far

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2017

I live in Cambodia and i specifically asked if i am covered to ride motorbikes. I received a generic email response which is designed to confuse and overwhelm everyday people that are just looking for a straight forward response. I was involved in an accident where i wasn't at fault and as a result they decided not to cover me as i didn't hold a valid Cambodian Licence. After locating the very very fine print, they can even refuse you coverage if you're on a Tuk Tuk or a public bus if the driver doesn't have a licence (Almost all police and citizens don't have or even know they should have one) After saying i would like to cancel the remaining months on my policy and salvage some money from this ridiculous company they told me i can not be refunded on it as i have now made a claim and i have also travelled on it even though they boast its suitable for expat's already abroad. My medical expenses are now in the thousands, and i will now make it my mission to warn other people of the dangers of trusting this company.

July 27th 2017 Update: Do not step foot on a bus or Tuk Tuk or ride a scooter in SE Asia under there cover

You are not covered If you are a passenger in a Tuk Tuk public bus or if you ride your own Scooter. Please refer to my review on the 24th of July for more Info.
They are more than happy to spend time in the product review with unhappy consumers but if you ask them direct questions about important policy information at the start than they will just bury you in about 3 different links that are overwhelming and unclear and yet they are happy to have their staff belittle you on here. What a shame they don't invest more time in making their customers satisfied from the beginning rather than abandoning customers when they need them the most. If they really cared about their customers they would make sure your initial questions are answered correctly.

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Hannah, I'm sorry to read that you were involved in an accident. We do require our Nomads to be licensed correctly in both their home country as well as in the country that they're travelling... read more »

Wow yet another robotic inhumane response. Thanks again World Nomad. Thanks again for your heartfelt well wishes. I have had my bike licence for 15 years which is literally twice the age of the sch... read more »

World Nomads Official

Hi Hannah, I'm sorry if you feel that you're not getting the answer you want. We try to make our coverage as clear as we can, both in the policy and in our helpdesk section. I'm not quite sure w... read more »

Typical insurance company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

They tell you they'll be back to you in a week, they get back to you in 3. I found not only were they slow, but quick to do anything they can to not help you. Can't say I'm surprised, they're an insurance company. They exist off of your fear of the unknown and do everything in their power to do the opposite of what you are told.

Helsinki

Terrible!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2017

Wasted 300€ on this insurance.
They won't pay you for anything.
My GoPro camera got stolen from my bag that i was carrying in the Philippines and our car got robbed in Israel so I lost my iphone&headphones. I had receipts for my devices but still no money back from this terrible insurance. They won't reimburse you for anything!!
Not recommended!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Kiki, I'm sorry to read that your GoPro camera got stolen and your car got robbed in Israel. All of our policies provide coverage for theft, however it does depend on the circumstances. If ... read more »

New York

• 3 comments
  • 2 answers

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Worst Travel Insurance. They'll take your money and not reimburse you for anything!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

I purchased this travel insurance because honestly it was one of the first links that popped up on Google. I was traveling to Indonesia. I purchased this mid-trip. A day after I purchased the insurance, I was in an accident that required a trip to the ER. I had to have stitches and some dental work done. The whole thing came to couple hundred USD, so I paid out of pocket. When I got back home, I submitted ALL of my documents, thinking that it'd be a simple process. I had a medical claim that fell under their policy, so they should cover it, right?

It's been more than a month since I filed my claim. They send me pointless messages, informing me that they are reviewing the case. They've asked for document after document (i.e. they even wanted me to submit this international medical bill to my insurance. Why the hell would I buy travel insurance if my home insurance covered overseas expenses?)

It's as if they are finding excuse after excuse to delay the process. I've had enough with this nonsense. I'm going to ask that my credit card company reverse the charges because it's obvious Travel Nomads are scammers that'll take your money but not reimburse you for valid claims.

I regret not reading these reviews before making my purchase.

Avoid at all costs!

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Jenn, Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear your claim hasn't been as fast as you were expecting. Please send your policy number to help@worldnomads.com and I'll follow it up for y... read more »

Hi Matt, While I appreciate the follow up, I noticed that you've written this in response to all the negative reviews here. Are you actually going to be able to speed up the review process and d... read more »

World Nomads Official

Hi Jenn, We're not in the business of PR stunts. The response is written as I do what I can to help our travelers if there is something out of line with the policy they purchased, or the turnaroun... read more »

Verified Customer Insurance claim made

Used to be good, but now they don't care about customers and will stall your claim and lose checks!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

Really frustrated with how downhill this company has gone. Via email, the customer service is rude and sarcastic sometimes when you ask for things to be written more clearly or you ask why they need you to resend clearly pictured receipts. In the three separate times I've signed up for them while on long term trips, they've:
-claimed they sent out a check and never printed it, months after they agreed to pay
-stalled claims and asked for the same information to be sent
-ignored my emails and questions about claims
-printed the check incorrectly so that I couldn't cash it
-claimed my health insurance company should cover my urgent care medical expenses, even though they do not cover them (as I had shown them yet they ignored).

I've had it with them and am never doing business with them again. So horribly unprofessional and it's obvious they don't want to take care of their customers.

Comments
World Nomads Official

Hi Lauren, Thanks for letting me know about your experience. I'm sorry to hear that you felt that the team were rude and sarcastic. I'll follow this up for you and get to the bottom of what's ha... read more »

1 of 13 pages