Please be advised that Yatango Mobile is under liquidation as of November 2015.

• 6 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 10 helpful votes

Fantastic

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2013

I have just signed up to this mobile telephone company and am impressed by their service and easy to follow plans. Pretty much you pay for what you use which could be less than the Unlimited cap plans that one is paying for at the moment. The free monthly trial is a great way to check out.
5 stars.

+ Price, product offering, service

Comments

I can see by your nature that you seem to point out the flaws in a product or service offering before even trying it. I just saw your other post where you just slandered the company with all sorts ... read more »

MELBOURNE

• 34 comments
  • 4 questions
  • 30 answers
  • 209 helpful votes
Private message

I don't like dodgy managers and staff who hide behind their own corporate stone walls.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2013

Kogan Mobile phones were shut down by Telstra (Ultra Boo Hiss) and they made an offer to switch over to Yatango Mobile - but there are somethings that I don't like about this service - because it's unethical.

One - there is no contact number - I mean everyone else has call centres, even foreign ones, and yet their pricing is not remarkably better for not having one, than those who do have one. I regard this as a severe impediment for actionable issues that need to be acted on immediately, or for when ones phone is lost / stolen etc.

Two - They tell us that the community forums are a place to resolve issues? Like this is selling the pipe dream that we the people who pay their wages, are now supposed to be acting as unpaid outsourced technicians - with a whole heap of ideas and technical capabilities, which on rare occasions, it's actually good, but for the most part, it's a mix of long delays to responses and at times, and very wishful thinking for technically useful information.

Three - this act of all this chummy chummy [censored word removed] - where the customers are supposed to be acting as a defacto technical support - is also a farce. We are not a community, we are a group of people who have decided to exchange our money for the services that you provide. If you do not willingly supply technical support etc., by phone instead of outsourcing it to the customer base - who you are not putting on the payroll either, then as far as I am concerned, you and your [censored word removed] disqualify you from earning an income from me and the rest of the customer base.

Four - If I buy a specified amount of data per month, and I use that data up, then there this is also a bare faced scam, because your not actually able to buy a block of data, which then comes to a halt once it has been used. Your actually buying a two tier payrate data plan - without any restriction between using up what you have purchased, and continuing right on at an excessive rate, with no stop, or brake, between them.

I think this is just shifty accounting. I think the people who are running this company smack of bait and switch tactics and sleazy marketing.

I have asked them for a phone number so that I and everyone else can contact them, and I want it to be displayed on the website - but I have seen so many dodgy fly by night telcos that I will refrain from holding my breath on this one too.

+ It's a phone company - Better plans that Telstra or Optus - who I regard as outright lying thieves.

- Shifty PR "happy community" [censored word removed] and no real contact methods. Only a PO Box and a Email Address

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Yeah - communication is what you offer - I can see it right here. Chat to Us Need to chat to us directly about your account? (i.e. your order status). You can chat to us by sending us an Email ... read more »

No phone service - but customer service by email only - and it's taking up to three days for a reply? "We are currently experiencing a large number of questions so our replies are taking longer tha... read more »

And all the emails I have been sent so far, come from a non reply email address? Thanks.

• 1 review
  • 3 helpful votes

Poor customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2013

I tried to sign up with Yatango but the website collapsed when I submitted my details including my credit card. The message said the process could not be completed and to try later. To my surprise my card was debited $1 dollar when it was not supposed to happen due to the error message mentioned before. I contacted Yatango who said that this dollar would be refunded to me by my bank, really?

- Poor customer service and lack of will to help potential new customers in distress

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

melb

• 5 helpful votes

Don't bother! The Wheels Have Come Off the Wagon

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2013

Hey Guys, I never write reviews and this has cheezed me off so much I have to vent. I just joined and everything was going smoothly (got the free month plan etc) however I lost my phone and tried to reorder a sim on the site. My account was suspended for an unpaid bill of $00.00 - like to know how that works. SO I cant get a new sim. I have emailed them three times with absolutely no response to a fairly important issue. I'm going to a new provider.
If I could give them nothing I would. No recommendation from me and I will be spreading the word at every opportunity I can.
In case some (insert rude word here) from Yatango is reading this sort out your biz!

+ Everything is ok - if nothing goes wrong

- poor customer response (3 day supposedly to get back to people in a communication industry is too long!) der! service not great either

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Ausie Traveller

Private message

Something went wrong they sent me the wrong sim card.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2013

I am very happy with the activation of my sim card within 15 minutes of installing it was operating. this included porting my number. As a past customer of Kogan I am happy to receive and use the promotional start up that was provided by Yatango but as I am a permanent traveller on the road, it will be interesting to see if the coverage that is provided on the Optus network will be sufficient for me. On the downside when I requested my Sim card they asked me what sort of phone I had, I clearly stated iPhone 5 I received a Micro Sim card that did not fit my phone.

+ The quick response to my porting my number.

- I received the wrong sim card I have asked for a nano card iPhone 5 and got a microc Lucky for me I was able to cut it down and make it fit.

• 1 comment
  • 6 helpful votes

Worst telco ever !

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 18, 2013

Don't believe the positive reviews, staff of yatango are writing them and attacking anyone who questions them on there plans or service etc. Terrible experience from day 1. Web site has errors all the time so your not sure your request is received, no phone support and online takes days to get a reply if at all. Not really cheap at all and not all that customiseable its just a bunch of plans you need to select what suits you from the 3 or so options. Optus network has no 4G and is pretty poor compared to Telstra. Want a good network try Aldi mobile to get Telstra at a pay as you go rate or $35 unlimited with $10 for international/extras. Even TPG etc is cheaper ! And no I am not a competing Telco just an unhappy customer. I doubt any other Telco is worrying about losing customers to this mob!!!

+ The colour of the site

- Network sucks, no support, no questions answered, can do the basic you expect.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

This is for kids or dumbs.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2013

They dont't have customer service, just email on line. What to do if you have problem with phone, sim card, coverage, call to police for help, so what? Wait 2-3 work days for answtr. At the weekend maybe 4-5 days.... This is for people not use cell phone every day, or not importand for them. For everyday absolutely not. I tried to send question to them as a future custmer and I can't. The have similar prices then other like Amasym, Aldi Mobile or several provides. I don't like if company don't fast help for people if you have problem. I don't wanna them, please think before you connect to Yatango because maybe you lost yor number and not one help you because not customer service. Please read Terms and conditions like they charge $15 ifyou want to move to next OK. Before I was thinking about Yatango now not....

+ good for kids, if not have to use offten moblile phone

- not customer service, not answet for emails, they leave with problem by yourself

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

Pity I couldn't give it zero stars

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2013

Have been trying for a week and a half to port my number to another network. Have sent numerous emails to Yatango and was assured 4 days ago that it would be actioned immediately. They are obviously the laziest most ineffective business out there. Don't go near them - you are just asking for trouble. Pity I couldn't give it zero stars

- Everything - no satisfaction at all - emails constantly ignored

• 9 helpful votes
Private message

Ok overall, with room for improvement.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2013

I am also one of the Kogan customer that have tried out Yatango. The porting process was quick and smooth. Everything was good during the month of trial. The reception was as good as Optus as it is based on Optus network. Which means any shortcomings with Optus will be the same. ie. occasional drop outs, Internet service sometimes gets congested ... etc.

At the end of the trial period, the suggested plan based on my usage was $47/mth, which unfortunately is more expensive than most other unlimited plan offered by the competitors. So it didn't suit me and I tried to port to other service.

This is when the problem starts. To port a number, we need an account number. It is nowhere to be found on the website, emails from Yatango and my account! Like many have said, there is no number to call! All I need was my account number! I tried the community and realized 3 people have already asked the same question: "where can I find my account number?" There was no answer to this simple question!

So I had no choice but use email. Then I got the same automated reply stating it would take them 3+ days to reply! I was furious like many others here!

But, surprisingly, I got a reply back within an hour, reassuring me that he would promptly look after my question. I got my account number within the next 10 min. So the customer support is not as bad as many have said.

currently I'm like many unfortunate kogan customer waiting to be ported to Aldi.

Anyway, overall as a telco company, I think Yatango is probably above average. It's just a pitty they don't have unlimited plan for heavy user like me, and if they can make simples things like account number easier to access, it would make the experience a lot better, and perhaps reduce the workload of the support team. (Imagine they have to reply to thousands of emails asking the same question "where is my account number?")

• 2 comments

Do Not Use Yatango

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 08, 2013

Do not use Yatango.

I signed up, and they sent me the wrong sim card. I requested a replacement, and 5 business days later I still had nothing. I sent them another email, and they promised to send it. Another 5 business days later, nothing still! I then asked them to get it to me within another 3 business days or to refund my money. I never received the sim card, so I asked for a full refund.

Now, 3 weeks after signing up, they said, "Sorry for any inconvenience, but how can we improve our service?" Well, how about sending me a sim card?

After promising to refund my money (I don't know why I believed them at this point) I received another email telling me to pay my outstanding monthly bill before they would refund my money. I NEVER USED THE SERVICE! They never sent me a sim card! And they want me to pay more.

Do not, I repeat, do not use Yatango.

+ Cheap

- Customer service, Logistics,

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Update: they have only partially refunded me. Wasting more time to get it back.

Update: WARNING! They are still deducting money from me. They have not refunded all the money they owe to me, and they just deducted another monthly fee. They have also stopped responding to my req... read more »

Not great

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2013

Since the Kogan Mobile debacle, I have tried Amaysim and now Yatango. When the 30day trial period was up (Unlimited calls/6gb internet) they recommended a plan of $50 per month. Not idea since there are cheaper plans around, including unlimited! Data went quickly (I was tethering here and there but nothing major d/l). I now cannot log into their service site - it says that the email address I signed up with is not valid? So I cannot check my usage, cancel auto top up, the website is also horrible. I have bought a Boost sim card and fingers crossed they are the best of the best after all the chump brands I've had to go through.

- Expensive, website, coverage drop outs

Private message

Has to be a joke....an impractical one!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2013

It is now 10 days since I foolishly signed up, and am still waiting for my old number with Optus to be "ported" to this one. Optus claims that they did so as soon as they were contacted, 6 days ago. Yatango claims that the problem is at Optus' end.......who to believe.
Neither apparently!
Whatever....I'm off to install the Amaysim card which I already had, when I was told about this bunch of incompetents.
And then spend my first recharge having to advise hundreds of contacts of my new number, the present one now being lost in the ether apparently.
The politeness of the customer service people is in stark contrast to the company's apparent inability to provide the services they are promoting .

+ What was being promoted as flexible, and more to my liking than the rubbish provided by thr major Telcos.

- They can't deliver what they promise

Works as described

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 12, 2013

I need a massive amount of data and TPG (my previous carrier) couldn't provide anything. After hunting through all of the other options my only practical option was Yatango, in spite of the reviews on this site.
So I signed up, the SIM arrived as expected, I was advised of an issue with the porting process, and when TPG finally cut off my service with them, the Yatango chat on the web page gave me answers pretty quickly, and told me to wait until they had completed porting on their end (about 2 hours later).
And thankfully I still don't have to deal with the absolute failure that is Optus billing (Telstra and Vodafone aren't any better).

+ Getting what I asked for, being able to monitor my usage easily.

- Porting should be faster

Fremantle

• 4 comments
  • 4 helpful votes

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

3 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2013

Bought a SIM from Dick Smiths for $2 after doing a bit of research on moving from Vodafone - after seeing the ads about 'more bars in more places' I'd love to know where they are!
Anyway, got the SIM, stuck it in a phone to test the reception. Don't believe a word about coverage, get a SIM & try it out before activating the service. Got the SIM & stuck it in an old handset & mooched around the place. Found I got the best reception at my location of all the SIMs I had - Aldi, Amaysim, Boost, Telstra, Vodafone.
Picked a plan, did the do online & BAM! - ported in about 2 minutes! Have no idea why it's taken other some long, perhaps early stages when they signed up (or tried to) & I also did it early in the morning when there seems to be less traffic.

Since then I've learned that:
1 - The data is billed in 1M lumps. My data as indicated on my phone is 10% of the data consumed according to My Dashboard. Can't find that info easily at all... you'll end up getting it on their 'Pricing' page, sec 1.3 - it's there! http://www.yatangomo.com.au/pricing.cfm#pricing_table
2 - I have almost 50% of the data shown on my dashboard consumed by sites I don't access & probably never will (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, 'Social Networks', spurious internet access) Have discussed this issue with the Online Chat help (very good BTW) & got nowhere.
They are unable to advise who/when/what was accessed as they do not have those facilities - apparently.
3 - Time & Date stamping indicated on your account, where data access is concerned, is arbitrary - access may be before the time indicated. Or maybe not. Time & date is local area.
4 - Help using the chat facility has been very good, very quick & succinct.

Apart from the errors in billing & being unable to resolve them to date (email to Support to follow) the service seems pretty good.
Web site could do with a few tweeks - a 'Search' facility wouldn't hurt.

Will see how I go with the erroneous billing & take it from there.

+ Ease of porting, chat helpline, ability to customise user needs

- Bad access to data, billing errors

Melbourne

Private message

No confidential infomation security at all

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 22, 2013

Upon hearing about this telco after using Telstra (who I would also not recommend to anyone, but for entirely different reasons) I decided to jump ship today. I stopped half-way through entering the credit card information when I noticed that the site was using plain-text communication (the padlock symbol that always appears when communications between you and the website are secured, typically in your browser's address bar), so the information I would sent if I didn't catch that would be in unencrypted plain form, just like a potential man-in-the-middle network attacker would like it.

I should also mention that there either simply wasn't a privacy policy, or it was hidden very well. The page where it asks for credit card information has the text "We'll keep your details safe and secure" and a fake verify security button.

+ I would have gotten good value if I did ignore the lack of security

- The security (or lack thereof)

• 1 answer

Internet doesn't work

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2013

Hobart area: internet is like Virgin Mobile where the bars/reception seem good but the internet simply goes on and off all day regardless of peak times. Perhaps something to do with using Optus and getting thrown off the network who knows as tech support certainly doesn't have the answers. If you;re an internet user of any kind, then it's simply not work going with Yatango in the Hobart region.

Innisfail

• 5 comments
  • 5 helpful votes

Suits me to a tee

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2013

I'm not a huge user of my smart phone, either for data or talking. I had my first month free trial, & now I've had 2 weeks of pay as you go. I'm in a rural area with notoriously bad reception.
What a great surprise to find the service actually worked ! In the trial period I used the phone for all ph. calls, not once did I have a problem. I also used the phone as a mobile hot spot for my p.c. as well as downloading data directly to the phone. I did have a couple of issues with slowness & dropouts, however the weather was generally terrible when this happened, & considering that I really wasn't expecting much reception in the first place .... then it wasn't that bad.
The couple of times that I needed help, the staff were courteous & knowledgeable.
I have just made my 1st pay as you go call, by the time I checked my useage 30 or so mins later, my charges were there.
So far, I am a very happy camper.

+ I only pay for what I use, charges & plans clearly available on the site.

- There probably wouldn't be coverage in remote areas.

Comments

I have just read the reviews of Mike & Jessi. I am still a happy camper for all the reasons that I previously posted. I watch my dashboard most days, I am a Pay As You Go customer. Everything I ... read more »

I am not a Yatango employee Mike. I am truly pleased with their service. I am sorry that you feel this way. Funnily Mike ... I am a new user of smart phones, & it was during the trial period,... read more »

I have no affiliation with Yatango, other than being their customer.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Not a fan!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2013

After been with Kogan mobile services and been suggested to sign up with yatango I did. I keep getting emails and txts saying I've used 90% of my call credit when I haven't. After realising you can't call yatango I found a chat online. I spoke with one of the representatives and he assured me I had not used 90% of my call credit and to ignore the txt and emails. My Internet credit seems to disappear when I hardly use my Internet? There are much cheaper plans out there.

• 1 comment
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Usage meter does not work and they admit it - they will rip you off

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2013

My usage, sms and data disappeared in huge chunks for no reason. I was billed for usage when i didn't even use my mobile. Usage is not based on what you actually use, instead random and large chunks of credit just disappear. I had evidence as i took screen shots. Finally they admitted their usuage meter "dashboard"does not work properly, but only after i proved it with screen shots. Without the evidence their customer service absolutely refused to acknowledge the issue i was having or even believe me. Prior to showing them screen shots they would never acknowledge my problem and keep refusing to answer my issue directly. I found it difficult to get anyone to listen to me so i could even produce the evidence i had, they continually shut me down each time i approached them. They kept giving answers that were completely irrelevant to avoid addressing the issue, obviously because they know about it but never thought anyone would actually be able to produce evidence. I caught them red handed and only then did they take an interest. Prior to that no one would listen and they were extremely rude and they treat customers as if they lie without even taking time to ask any questions, really unbelievably terrible and insulting customer service. After many emails and many days i was finally put in touch with yatango's people who would listen. Finally my issue was raised to the accountant to settle the matter. You can see they don't do much about customer service but leave it up to the bean counter to decide if they can afford to pay a penny back that they have stolen. Obviously he has no concept of customer service being an accountant. He could not settle the matter by only offering a $10 credit after i wasted $37 in one month (and i'm a light phone user). They have proved to everyone they put profit ahead of their customers. They discredit everything you say and won't believe anything unless you are lucky enough to have evidence, and let's face it most people never would. If you join yatango you will get burned, ripped off, their will be no customer service if you have a problem because they just do not care. Avoid yatango they admitted their usuage meter does not work. I have it in an email. Your credit will disappear even though you dont use your phone.

- Random chunks of credit disappear when you are not using your phone. Ripped off

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Thanks Carolyn/Yatango. I'm sure consumers can see right through your comments and see that Carolyn is someone affiliated with Yatango. Consumers are a bit more savvy than you may think.

Value for money

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2014

Currently in use in Tintinara, SA as i travel around a lot. Some connection dropouts (depends on my modem location in my room) Speed is very good and given that the cost is so low i cant complain. Even able to play TF2 on AU servers 80-90 ms. In the South of Adelaide connection is stable.
When web browsing have some issues with it taking a long time to move from an idle connection state but i've seen this on many optus networks (Virgin, Optus) with all of my devices.

+ Cheap, Fast