Not value for money

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2017

I have purchased four pairs from Zenni optical. Including graduated lenses long and short distance. On my second order i wrongly ordered long distance instead of reading glasses. My fault for misreading the prescription not realising i was ordering long distance glasses although if had I ordered locally this would not have been a problem. I then ordered a second pair. Found that the price in U.S. dollars made them around the same price as buying locally. however I would not have ordered the wrong ones as the local optician would've known, so ended up paying double. But not really Zenni's fault. Both the new long distance and short distance glasses arrived OK but on both sets, the lenses smudge very easily and are extremely difficult to get clean to the point of annoyance, even though I ordered oil and fingerprint resistant lenses on the long distance. I have since bought another pair whilst overseas which were much cheaper and with lenses that smudge much less and are easily cleaned as i have stopped using the Zenni glasses. In the end I have spent a lot more money than If I had purchased locally. I was going to put this on Zenni's website but their terms say they can alter or edit the review.

Refund Policy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

Crap refund policy. They got my glasses wrong and won't give a full refund. Though I have checked them at an optometrist.

Mooloolah valley

Private message

Zenni are a (financial) lifesaver with preschooler in glasses!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2017

My four year old has worn prescription glasses since he was one, he trashes them, throws them, steps on them, crashes into things with them on (he also has autism and sensory issues) and just generally lacks the ability to take care of an expensive pair of glasses. He has had a couple of pairs of glasses made by optometrists and they have been heavy and uncomfortable for him. We've gone back to zenni every time (used to only use them for spares). He always loves glasses from zenni, they always fit comfortably (I always measure him to make sure they won't be too big or small), they are so much cheaper than in the optometrists and they always arrive quickly.
Once I ordered the wrong prescription accidentally and they sorted the issue quickly and replaced them straight away even though it was my mistake.
Love zenni, hope they keep up their great work!

• 2 answers

Happy with their product

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2016

After being quoted about $1200 for 2 pairs one multifocal one computer glasses and NOT being given the tint I need for migraine, blephrospasm, apraxia and macular degeneration (aging is a crap) I started looking at alternatives. It did provide me an opportunity to find out if their blue blocking glasses helped. Not as good as the FL-41 tint but safe for occasional use.

On my first try with them I was soundly berated and told my prescription is wrong for my left eye, it is very rare and to get another prescription, and they left me hanging. Fortunately I had a similar script on hand and emailed them scans of them. They have since modified the message so though being berated I can proceed with my purchase. (I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome hypermobility type and my whole body is "rare" eyes included, and lipedema etc). They charge me extra, but this has been a given since my first pair of glasses. They could be a bit more polite though to people like me that have this rare anomaly.

The other thing is that tints will appear darker when you put them on your face, maybe due to reflection. So a 10% tint will look more like a 50% tint when worn and so on.

Now I just buy frames and then send them to Theraspecs in US to have FL-41 tinted lenses put in. It is ridiculous that you can't just buy frames in Australia. The alternative is to have lenses fitted, claim from my health fund then send them off to have tinted lenses fitted by Theraspecs. They won't can't tint new uncoated lenses from SSavers.

• 1 question
Private message

Huge savings and good quality

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2016

No more paying $300+ for glasses from Specsavers. After reading a number of reviews about purchasing glasses online, I tried Zenni Optical. The ordering process was simple. You put the details in of your most recent prescription, select the frames and any other options (like multi-focal). You can even upload a photo of yourself to see what they look like on your face. I ordered on 13 May and they arrived (from Hong Kong) on 2 June, so a little over two weeks. I cannot tell the difference between the frames received and those you can try on in Specsavers/OPSM or elsewhere. [[Maybe the frames all come out of the same factory but the Australian distributors put on their huge profit margins.]] The lens were perfect. The cost of the glasses, plus case was $A84. So, a huge saving and good quality. Highly recommended and I will order further glasses from Zenni Optical.

• 32 helpful votes
Private message

My experience has been excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 24, 2016

I have just received my fourth pair of glasses from Zenni. I have found the product excellent. My daily wear glasses have just retired after one year of wear because the started to scratch. The only other issue I have had was a loose screw - easily fixed. I think they are of a good quality given the price and I am glad I can avoid the virtual monopoly Luxotica has in Australia.

Stupid to go anywhere near Zenni Optical

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2016

Ordered Zenni Glasses in September 2015. Returned twice because they are WRONG - still no glasses. Customer Support NIL. Just don't bother. It's not worth wasting time, and money posting things back again and again and them still being wrong. Save yourself a lot of grief, and sanity by just going to your local optom. Shouldn't mislead consumers by even PRETENDING you can do multifocal lenses.

1st pair great next 3 pairs unwearable

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2015

The first pair were fine but scratched awfully and were unwearable after 7 months

The next pair were fine for a few months then plastic frames broke total loss just out of warranty period.

Next pair for family member, lens mounted at an angle made her dizzy feeling and unstable on feet, Next a pair of computer glasses with wrong prescription unwearable.

Zenni had no interest in helping outside the 1 month period

By the time we and cost from Australia for them to fix it is cheaper to go to the local discount optometrist and that is exactly what we have done and will continue to do in future.

Problem with coatings

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2015

Prices are fantastic. However I noticed with more recent orders the glasses had thicker lenses and the quality was poor. Biggest problem is that the coatings don't last. I am now trying other online shops.

Sydney

• 5 comments
  • 2 questions
  • 6 answers
  • 44 helpful votes

Very very good value

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 01, 2015

First time Zenni optical customer.

I ordered a pair with the 1.61 progressive free form lens. The order took just under 4 weeks to arrive and it is slightly longer than the 3 weeks I am expecting.

The site is pretty easy to use as it gives you all the dimension you need to know about the frames. It would be much easier for you to decide what is right for you if this is not your first pair. I just pulled out all my glasses and start measuring and then from that, I have the ideal measurement that will suit me and then using the filtering function to narrow down the frames that will fit me. What I found it is that the choices are pretty limited for me, however, I did manage to find one that I like.

The glasses was sent from a Hong Kong address and judging by the address, and this my pure guess, they are using subcontractors in Hong Kong. Would be interested to find out if I re-order, would I get the pair from the same sender address.

The glasses is pretty good. And the frame is sturdy. Of course, the quality is not the same as a brand name product but I am satisfied with the product based on the price I paid. There were a few tiny tiny scratches on the bottom of the lens near the frame, once again, no one can see them and they dont affect the functionality, so I didnt bother to make a complaint.

Overall, happy with the glasses as it came to a grand total of A$120 fully delivered. What more can I ask?

Australia

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

First time purchase, faulty prescription

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2015

First time purchase with Zenni -a pair of frames with 1.67 lenses and the standard anti-reflective coating (total AU$130.42). Ordered on 10/07/15, shipped on 20/07/15 and received on 3/08/15.
I can't see through these glasses and I'm questioning the accuracy of the prescription. I'm wondering how qualified are the staff who work in their laboratory because this is the first time I've encountered this type of problem. I've been wearing glasses for nearly 30 years and in that time I've purchased glasses in store and online through various providers.
I currently own 6 pairs of glasses, all with the exact same prescription as the new Zenni glasses. I've never needed time to adjust to a new pair of glasses, my feeling is that the prescription is wrong.

I've contacted Zenni via their email ([email protected]) regarding the above. I hope that they are genuinely able to assist me with this issue, otherwise, I'll feel that I've wasted money and of course, wouldn't use their service again or recommend it .

Grafton NSW

• 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes
Private message

My new glasses are excellent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2015

I am a first time customer of Zenni, I was going to order 2 pair but decided to test one pair out first, I didn't have my glasses for more than 2 hours before I purchased another pair, I tell everyone I meet about my fabulous prescription glasses.
100% Titanium frames, multi focal, photochromic with anti reflection coating, even with the AUD at 74c they cost $160 with postage.
Great job Zenni
Regards
Robert Charles
Australia

Verified Customer

Apparently, they have an acceptable "margin of error"

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 04, 2015

Shoddy work not worth the cheap price. We ordered two pairs of glasses with an identical prescription. We received two pairs of glasses with slightly different prescriptions.

When worn, one pair would result in slightly blurred vision, dizziness, etc so we took them to an independent retailer and sure enough the axis on both lenses was off slightly (on the messed up pair).

We contacted customer support and sent the glasses back. After a month or so they came back to us (after we had to ask them what is going on) and said the glasses were fine. We asked about the difference in prescription and they said they would test them again.

Finally got back to us that the glasses were within an acceptable margin of error.

They have an acceptable "margin of error" when producing glasses to match a prescription.

In other words, what you order is not necessarily what you get - but that is just fine. You'll "get used to them."

They should be ashamed.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Have go reading glasses script wrong twice

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2015

I have been buying from Zenni for 4 years now, and initially they always got the script right. Unfortunately the last two orders they have sent long distance glasses instead of reading glasses. The multifocal glasses are great, but having spare long distance glasses is useless. Aqua and oil fobic coating is great. Price is great. When they used to get the script correct on the reading glasses I was a very happy customer. I don't recommend Zenni to other people now as they are too hit and miss.

Pleasantly surprised

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2014

I recently ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses and a pair of distance glasses. I ordered with some trepidation but figured with such a cheap price it was worth the risk. I am very happy to say that both pairs arrived within a couple of weeks and completely exceeded my expectations!

Whilst they are unlikely to have the durability of my $300 OPSM frames for 1/10 of the price who cares?! The prescription is perfect and I couldn't be happier. Will definitely order again.

+ Outstanding value, posted promptly

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

More than 2 years later and still going..

melbourne

Private message

Terrible. Over a month and still waiting. Wont issue a refund

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 21, 2014

Terrible! Over a month and still waiting for my 2 glasses
i am beyond upset and annoyed as i have waited a month now for 2 pairs of glasses for my poor dad. The tracking number doesnt work in australia so i have no idea where they are or if they are coming. Im assuming by now they are lost and zenni refuses to refund me or call me. I have gone on their live chat 10 times and asked for someone to call me asap. This was 10 days ago.. No call. I wrote on facebook and instagram about the terrible service and the fact i was still waiting. Thye deleled and blocked me. What an aboslute joke. I have now reported zenni as i still havent got a refund or anything. Will never use or recomend.

- Wont issue me a refund

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sunshine Coast, QLD

• 71 comments
  • 3 questions
  • 37 answers
  • 85 helpful votes
Private message

Cheap, but not long lasting

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 28, 2013

If you know your script, and know how to work out your PD (no point in asking the optometrist for the PD because in my experience the assistants in the front office will give you a wildly inaccurate figure), you can order from Zenni. You can even store your scripts at their website for easy re-use.

Within a week the glasses come by courier to your door, all the way from China. Quality is very acceptable (I am wearing them now!). Edit: they now take up to a month to arrive.

Total savings can be up to 90% compared to local optometrists. I will never order glasses again locally.

Edit: see my comments below for the small print. Buyer beware.

+ Low Prices, Quick Delivery

- Poor quality on some components, one month warrranty

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Follow-up: after 1 year, one of the nosepads broke and fell off one of the frames. I contacted Zenni and they sent me a small tool and a new nosepad to repair it! Excellent service.

If you need to work out your own PD, go here:

Revise that to 2 stars. A new Zenni frame popped a screw and dropped a lens after 3 months (junk metal in frame could not hold onto screw). They emailed me that I had to buy a new frame because and... read more »

• 1 answer

Perfect better than From optician

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2013

I very warily purchased multifocal sunglasses from Zenni. My prescription glasses in Australia cost $450-$480 even with the supposedly one pair free offer due to the cost of the multifocal lenses. I wanted an extra pair. For $80 I got multifocal sunglasses from Zenni and thought that if they were no good it was no huge loss. They arrived very quickly maybe 10-14 days and they are fantastic! Better than the ones I got here from the optician. I don't use the $400 at all now

+ Inexpensive, quick delivery

• 7 answers
  • 12 helpful votes

Very happy with Zenni

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2013

Recently ordered "computer" glasses.(close reading plus computer viewing but no long distance). Very happy. They provide a formula for you to do this based on your script. I was worried whether I'd get it right but tried and was happy.
Quite a good choice of frames.
Able to try on with own photo.
Can save prescription.
Can save favourites to compare and while thinking about which one to order.
Good choice of lens types plus optional extras e.g. tinting, coatings etc.
Good customer service.
Very cheap.
Then stepped on glasses and broke frame, but found can order just replacement frame. So cheap ($9.50 for my style) I ordered 2. Then ordered another 2 pairs of different glasses with same script and also a spare frame for each.
Mine amounted to about $70 for a progressive lens desktop/computer glasses, incl shipping. but without many optional extras.
Bought a pair progressive with distance too at eyebuydirect.com and they were about $110 each and are terrible, distorted viewing at bottom and impossible to find just the right place to look through for computer as the right part is so small. Binned these.

- Comes from America so takes a couple of weeks shipping.

Melbourne

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Longer Delivery times for non-US destinations

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2013

Zenni has recently changed its shipping policy so that items manufactured in China are all shiped to the US regardless of final destination, In the past delivery to Australia would be around 10 days. Latest experiendce is 23 days from placing of order. The promised tracking of shipment is really poor with no information available until around day 21! Zeni customer service struggles to deal with basic requests for a status update and little interest in receiving and responding to feedback. Anyway value for money is still there but I suspect that a supplier who can deliver better service for the same price will be competitive given Zenni's disinterest in satisfying customers on service.

+ Value for money product

- Little interest in satisfying customrers on anything other than price.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes