Date Purchased: Jun 2005

LOVE mx8

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

I have a large free formed concrete pool. I started with baracuda's each one clapped out within 12 months and would constantly get stuck. I have had my MX8 for approx 13 years and love it. I now need to replace the old girl and would buy nothing else. Loyalty rewards would be a great idea.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2018

This is my 2nd MX8

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2018

The 1st MX8 lasted 5 years, i didnt replace any parts, no tune up kits in that time. It did start looking a bit faded and old. Eventually it just stopped all together.
I decided on a brand new one given it comes with new hoses and within 2hrs of it back in my pool, it had my pool back to its normal clean condition. That familiar lapping of water as it cleans to the waterline.
Mine is a fibreglass pool which i think the MX8 is well suited.
Zodiac should introduce a Loyalty Bonus :)

Purchased at: Pool and Spa Warehouse

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Phil. Thank you for your 5 star review! Happy Swimming!

SantaRosa Ca

Date Purchased: Oct 2018

two Strikes....not going in for third

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 29, 2018

Bought the first mx8 elite ten days ago. Worked great for first hour. Then it just stopped working. The spinners were stuck, and the wheels wouldn’t turn. I immediately took it back to Leslie’s Pool and she said that it was a very big seller for them and hadn’t had any returned or heard anything bad about them. Leslie’s checked the unit and agreed that for an unknown reason the spinners were definitely stuck! Because of her experience with other pool owners loving this machine, I exchanged it...hoping it was a fluke. I got it home..... it ran well for about two hours.....then...same issue! It just stopped working. Checked for a plug...etc. I am returning this product tomorrow and will not be exchanging it for the same product.

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Linda, this the Australia version of Product review. If you are able to place this review on the US version, the Customer Care team will be happy to help you. Thanks.

Date Purchased: Dec 2013

excellent for 1st year

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

We rarely have leaves , so initially the cleaner was excellent. Worked well and fast for about 2 yrs. Gears wore out after 2 years, had it serviced. constantly needs new tracks which are expensive. Now it doesn't work at all again It's an expensive unit with a short life. Too much to go wrong!

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Fev, Sorry to hear that you had these issues. Could you DM your details? Thanks!

• 5 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Dec 2013

Good job but limited life

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

Got this nearly 5 years ago for $550 to replace a Kreepy Krawly and it did a much better job because it got right in the corners, up the sides and the hose did not stick in the roman ends as the Kreepy did much of the time. It does not handle large leaves or stiff twigs (jams) but this was not a problem for me as we don't get a lot of leaf debris except in autumn and I clear any big stuff with a pool net after a windy day.
It DOES HAVE A LOT OF MOVING PARTS AND THEY WEAR OUT. They are easy to replace but are expensive - $120-130 for a full refurb kit and it is not worth buying individual parts as they are very very pricey. I have done the refurb twice, and while the first time lasted 15 months, the second lasted only 9 months. I did a track replacement in between as well. I surmise that either the material quality has gone down and the parts wear quicker, or the non-replaceable parts of the device have worn and impose extra strain on the replacements. Either way the machine's life is limited and I recommend only doing one refurbishment and assume you will get a total of four years out of the MX8. Factor that into the price..
It did do a great job and if Zodiac could improve its durability I would purchase again.
I now have a Zodiac G20, bought a month ago, using the hose that came with the MX8 (that's a handy interchange) and so far it is fine, if not quite as effective as the MX8. However, I expect a longer life and little maintenance expense.

Purchased at: Best Pool Supplies

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi, Thank you for your review. We have noted your Feedback and appreciate taking the time to let us know. Thanks.

Newcastle

Date Purchased: Oct 2012

Can’t handle Leaves or Twigs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2018

We have had this pool cleaner for about 5 years now. 2 full rebuilds and it still doesn’t work. We live in a leafy area and our pool gets lots of leaves. Gum leaves. Green and brown. If they are any longer than a few centimetres then they get stuck and the whole unit stops. If a small twig lands in the pool, it will clog the cleaner. I have had enough. I want something I can pretty much set and forget, not something I have to check all the time and pull stuff out of. I litterally have to unclog it every hour at least. It really is an awful cleaner. It makes me rethink buying anything from Zodiac. It’s just not fit for purpose.

Purchased at: Direct Pool Supplies

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Pete, Sorry to hear that you have had these issues. We do try and give as much information as we can on our website, but each pool can be different. We have listed that the following: Cleans flo... read more »

With all due respect I was not told any of that when I bought the machine. Of course you won't assist other than to sell me something new. What options do you have for larger leaves? Truthfully I t... read more »

Zodiac Official

Hi Pete. Our Units are sold through our Zodiac Dealers. We are here to assist you, not to sell anything. Sorry to hear that the information wasn't passed on to you at the time of purchase. We have... read more »

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Constantly have to watch unit

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2018

This is probably good if you have no twigs or leaves larger than 10mm. Anything bigger and it gets jammed in the track or impeller so you have to constantly clean the unit. That means removing leaves jamed in the impeller unit and leaves or small twigs caught in the track. Re-priming the unit etc etc. If you try to leave the unit unattended it will pick up somehting and just stop moving. It just cannot be used where there are trees or leaves that land in the pool. The review on the net is unbelieveale when the person says it can handle twigs. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. This unit is definitely not fit for it's purpose and Zodiac should stop making claims that are rubbish.

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi, Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your Cleaner. May I ask if you have spoken with our Customer Care team? Thanks.

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Jan 2018

Third set of tracks in 6 months

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2018

I have just been advised by customer support that I should take the cleaner out of the pool twice a week and wash it, leave it out for a while and put it back. It has one job.. to clean the pool! my last zodiac lasted 10 years - there has to be a design fault with the tracks which zodiac need to own up to, fix, put out a recall to all users and replace.
On a positive note, when the tracks stay on, it works well.

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Helen, sorry to hear that you are having these issues. Can we get your contact details and give you a call to assist? Thanks.

Pinjarra

• 5 answers

Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Waste of money

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2018

MX8, Every day I have to put the tracks back on and it only cleans one end of the pool. I have to guide it. $799 A$ - never again. My pool supplier has given up on it. You seem to have a lot of bad reviews. Back to a manual operation.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Evie, Sorry to hear that you have had these issues. May I ask if you have spoken with our Customer Care team directly? thank you

No but I will, thanks

Zodiac Official

Hi Evie, If you would like to send your contact details either by Inbox on our FB Page or PM on Product review, we can call you. Please let me know, Thanks.

Gold Coast

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Apr 2016

Zodiac MX 8 is an expensive overpriced Lemon !

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2018

The Zodiac MX8 cost $695 and was much dearer than previous cleaner i had for many years, but advised it was a premium cleaner by the Store Captain Nemo's at Helensvale.
It has now broken down 7x times, 5x times The Store replaced gears, and 6th time referred me to Zodiac, they sent out a tune up kit, to replace all the moving parts with better quality ones (so they must know it was a Lemon and not fit for Purpose), now they will not do anything about it and wont reply to my emails, so i have no choice but to take it up with the office of Fair Trading and ACCC, I am seeking a refund under Australian Consumer Law so i can buy a cleaner that is fit for purpose, works and is not a lemon.
Do not buy a Zodiac cleaner more hassle than they are worth, and extremely poor customer service

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Bruce. Sorry to hear of these issues. I would like to look into the emails that you are not been replied to for you. Can you please PM on Product Review with your email address so we can search ... read more »

I was told by Zodiac on the phone that you have had a lot of trouble with the gears and moving parts in the MX8 and the Tune up kits is to replace the old ones with much better quality ones, but they too are now failing, so it is a Lemon after all !

Zodiac Official

Hi Bruce. The description as above is the reason as to why we have provided the Tune Up Kit. If you would like us to help you further please advise. Sorry you have not been happy with your Cleaner.

Sydney

• 14 answers

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Very pleased with Zodiac MX8

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2018

I have been very pleased with the Zodiac MX8 recently introduced to my fibreglass in-ground pool. It was easy to install and went to work wandering around the pool immediately, producing a spotless pool within hours. It handles leaves and all other debris which blows into the pool without difficulty. Based on my experience I recommend it for similar applications.

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Jim, Thank you so much for your 5 star review!! Happy Swimming.

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 2 answers

Verified Purchase Date Purchased: Apr 2018

So far, I could never recommend the MX8 Elite

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 30, 2018

So far, I am not impressed in the least with this over priced cleaner! I had a cheap hayward for 12 years! Yes, I did rebuild it twice in that time. I could have rebuilt it a third time, decided against it, the shell was falling apart. I got all new pool equipment (variable speed pump), and pebble plaster, might as well get a new cleaner too.

The kid from Leslie's who install all the new equipment recommended the Zodiac MX8 Elite for the "new pool". I bought it. It did not work. Turned the suction on full blast, barely moved!! Took the hose off, suction was VERY strong. Changed the RPMs of the pump, from 1850 to 3000 (the tech said at 1850 the MX8 should creep, he set the cleaner to 2450, said that would be plenty for it move steadily - both are a big NOPE!). Even at 3000 and full blast suction, no improvements.

I called the Zodiac tech support, went over the entire story. They had me run a lot of tests, took the vacuum apart, checked the gears, etc...after which all the moving parts did seem to move more freely. I got my hopes up.

Nothing. Same thing, had to have the suction full blast and it still stopped and/or just spun in place. The Zodiac support said to take it back, it had faulty gears was the excuse I got.

I took it back, got a new one. It runs a little better, not doing the spinning in circles as much. I still have to have the suction on full suck, but it still gets stuck every few feet or at the bottom of the wall. Turning the suction where it should be (where the hayward would be zooming around) and it's dead, no movement, nothing.

My question is, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or are these just over priced dead weights? If I can't figure this out I will be switching back to a company that seems to at least be reliable with cheaper long lasting equipment. I want to like this cleaner, I really do, after $524.99, I REALLY want to like this cleaner. So far I am beyond frustrated and hate that I have wasted so much time with TWO different MX8 Elite vacuums, both just as worthless as the other.

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Brian, Sorry to hear that you are having issues. Unfortunately, this is an Australian Website, if you would like to remove this and repost on your site of origin, the team will be able to address your issues. Thanks!

I assume these expensive, but non working vacuums are manufactured in the same place, AU, US, EU, where ever they are sold, they are still over priced and apparently very cheaply made.

Zodiac Official

Sorry Brian, we cant really discuss pricing etc as we do not use the same currency but we are one global company, you are correct. However, our enquiries and therefore solutions are dealt with by region. Sorry I cant be more helpful. Thanks.

Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Small Rocks and debris keep getting stuck inside engine and mx8 stops!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2018

Small Debris keep getting stuck in between the engine and lower engine assembly and mx8 stops working after that. Paid over 400 bucks for this. Horrible design. The gap in the on the engine and engine assembly is to big so small rocks get stuck there. Can't find anything on how to fix this issue

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi David, May I ask if you have spoken to our Customer Care team?

Date Purchased: Sep 2015

What a complete waste of money.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2018

Ok you asked me to be factual... I bought the unit as our pool guy recommended it. 6months after teething problems the unit was sent back to your factory to get replacement tracks, again four months later, same thing and again and again. Surprise surprise the unit tracks just kept slipping and it was returned to your factory yet again. Collected from the pool shop and said this was not fixed? No, sorry warranty ran out whilst in for repairs but they will offer you a new unit for $485. as a one off deal. Take a walk. Never again. You say replacement parts have warranty? Seriously, then why refuse to replace replaced parts?? Btw, the pool shop no longer sells Zodiac.

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Riverine. We would like to discuss this further with you. Replacements parts definitely have warranty and warranty does not run out during a repair. Can you please send a PM with your location and phone number. Thanks.

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 2 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Brand new installed by my pool service.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 12, 2018

Had another type for 15 years..worked great every day..just wore out i guess. My pool service installed this mx8 elite and it worked for 4 hours and then just lays there at the bottom of the pool. If it failed so fast imagine in a month? Pick it up and get it out of here and refund my 650 dollars.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Gary, May I confirm where you are located? Thanks.

i am in bradenton fl..my pool service, the water works, in sarasota recommended this product..it worked great..for one day. then it sat there..i looked online at your manual and tried everything i ... read more »

Zodiac Official

Hi Gary. Unfortunately, this is the Australian Product Review. The US has a separate version of this Review Site. If you would like to PM your details, I could email to our US Care team? This review would need to be reposted there. Thanks.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Zodiac, MX8, Pool Cleaner

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2018

It worked great at first, then the brushes needed replaced then the tracks 3 times, now the gears are wearing out inside A and B side transmissions or what ever they are called. (22.00 us per side) . And all you really need is a few dollars worth of cheap plastic wheels.
Incidentally, those gears in mine have broken teeth. Really cheap material......and those bearings , on the short directional shaft....All hogged out, so that's another low quality part.
So.....it's another one of those products designed to get you on the parts and service end.
Make the cheap gears and bearings available ....!
I
Zodiac, Elite, MX8
Less than 3 years old!!!
Tampa, Florida

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Bri, Sorry to hear that you are having these issues. Unfortunately, this is an Australian Review site. You might like to put this review on the US site and therefore get the help you need, Thanks.

I think if Zodiac doesn't send me a bag of those cheap plastic gears I'll find a maker or source and then.......do a HOW TO video on You Tube.....
It's all good mate.

You have a warranty,and the parts have a warranty too! Why the Zodiac Reps don't tell people this is beyond me. Ignorance or by design , I don't know. I found that I could get new A and B direct... read more »

Date Purchased: Mar 2018

Pool has never looked cleaner

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2018

Bought this cleaner last weekend and the pool has never looked cleaner. Does an excellent job on floor and walls of my pebblecrete pool.

Only issue is it gets above water line and sucks some air in at times and I can’t seem to adjust suction down enough to stop it.

Highly recommended

Purchased at: Pool and Spa Warehouse

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi John, Thanks for the 5 star review! Please call us on 1300 763 021 if you still experience this issue and we can spend some time, getting the adjustments correct, happy Swimming.

Date Purchased: Aug 2015

$800 for a pool cleaner that does a good job. most of the time.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2018

Having the MX8 or MX10 versus a dedicated robot cleaner ...

It depends.

I don't really regret the purchase, but i would change my mind in hindsight.

It's going to cost you an extra $200 to $300 a year if you do/don't have a variable or eco speed pump to clean the pool for 3 hours a day, or 20 hours a week.

Mostly because it requires a certain amount of flow/pressure to work, and it stops moving if the pressure is too low. An adapter is provided to adjust this, but it can only do so much.

About every 1000 hours, or every 2 years, you'll probably need to replace the mechanical gearbox in the maintenance kit for an extra $150. give or take normal wear and tear.

It requires constant babysitting to keep it working, and when it does work, it hugs the walls instead of the floor of the pool, but overall, it works.

over a few years, it probably comes close in cost to a $1600 robotic cleaner, depending on how bad your leaf-catching problem is, or your solar costs. It is the perfect or penultimate 'pool cleaner' in some respects, because you cannot engineer something better to do the same job, without it being a very different kind of device.

And, because it relies on the pool pump having to maintain the right pressure, it's hard to actually tell where the "goldilocks" value of wall-hugging or lethargic inaction is.

When your MX8 is stuck, it could be that it tried to inhale twigs, leaves, nuts or debris, but, you have to spend 10 minutes cleaning everything to work out if it was a clog in the MX8 'teeth' or inlet with a leaf that got stuck, or you need to empty/clean the basket, skimmer, filter or pump.

You can certainly leave it alone, but in 10 minutes, it's going to stop working again.

The price is also quite high for what is a well made lump of plastic that will be submerged for 99.8% of it's operating lifespan, but at ~$800, and $150 for the upgrade/maintenance kits that replace all/most of the mechanisms every 2 years, it's okay.

Compared to the more efficient and easier to monitor robotic cleaners, your experience will vary.

If you have solar, you can wear the extra time and energy needed to keep the cleaner going so it covers most of the surface area of the pool each week. If not, consider the 3kwh of power every day your pump is going to be running to drive the MX8 (around $0.70c/day, to $200 each year), versus a low-power pump setting, and a 150w to 200w robot cleaner that might cost around $0.40c a day to run. This depends on the pump, but it's going to add up over time.

That said, the 'robots' probably might require just as heavy maintenance every few years, or just suddenly stop working due to motor/drive problems or power supply problems in the controller that remains outside of the pool.

Even though this is generally a miserable product, i've had worse pool cleaners in the past, and although I generally hate having to go outside at least once every day and check to see if it's stopped working, it does work without too much drama. Usually.

Comments
Zodiac Official

Thank you for leaving a Review for your MX8. If we are able to help or offer any technical advice, Please call us on 1300 763 021, Thanks!

Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Useless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2018

Very disappointing, has not worked since day one. Blocks very easily, it has track and mechanical problems, sent it away for repairs, return just as useless. Don’t waste your money on this item, Zodiac must know how poor this cleaner performs and should be ashamed of this poor design and performance

Purchased at: eBay

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Dan, sorry to hear that you have had this issues. Could you send a PM with your details and we can try and assist you, Thanks.

• 8 answers

Date Purchased: Dec 2012

Zodiac MX8 Track Wearing out Quickly and Unevenly.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 26, 2017

I must say this pool cleaner is great, I have had it for 5 years. But the tracks in the last 2-3 years have been wearing out quicker and particularly on one side. I go through 3-4 sets of tracks per year, and the cleaner is out of the water for 4 months during winter. Each year I have purchased and installed a tune up kit, and replaced each side of the motor(working parts etc). I believe the tracks have been manufactured with a poorer quality rubber, as the ridges on the inside of the tracks is what goes on one side only. The diameter of the rubber tends to soften and expand quicker now than 5 years ago thus they slip off easier when they are worn. Used to pay $25 for 2 new tracks in 2012, 2013, and now they are $45, and wear out in half the time. I appreciate that zodiac probably outsources these, but if it weren't for this problem, I would think this is the best unit available. Thanks for listening!

Purchased at: eBay

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Zodiac Official

Hi Bob, Thanks for the review, May I ask if you have spoken with Customer Care regarding the replacing of the Tracks. We do have warranty on our Replacement parts. Thanks.

I would have but the problem started after the first 2 yr warranty period! Rgds bill

Zodiac Official

Hi Bob, Should you have any other issues, please call us, replacement parts have warranty also. Thanks.

1 of 8 pages