Southern Cross Travel Insurance Questions

392 questions from our users
Hi we are heading to Canada next June, do you cover mountain biking and zip lining?

Patrick W asked on Sep 20, 2017

Answer this

Hi Patrick,

Sounds like you have an exciting trip planned! We do cover both mountain biking and zip lining. There are a couple of things to be aware of when taking part in these activities:

1. We cannot cover you if you're taking part in a race
2. We cannot cover you if you're placing yourself in reckless circumstances, such as not wearing a helmet or not following the safety instructions given to you by an instructor

I hope that helps to answer your question. If you do need any more information, please feel free to get in touch with us directly: [email protected]

Have an amazing time in Canada!

Katie - Digital Media Manager

Does your policy include claims for costs related to Terrorism?

Catherine L asked on Sep 13, 2017

Answer this

Hi Catherine, thanks for your question.

The TravelCare policy provides cover for medical expenses incurred overseas as the result of an act of terrorism, up to a maximum of $100,000 per policy.

Please do be aware that there is no cover under any section of the policy for any events arising from travelling to a destination which has a travel warning level of ‘Do not travel’ or ‘Reconsider your need to travel’ published on the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade website.

Please also be aware that there is no provision for cover under Section 2 (Changes to Your Journey), Section 5 (Personal Accident) or Section 6 (Personal Liability) for any claims arising directly or indirectly from terrorism, or the perceived threat of terrorism.

if you'd like to clarify anything further, please feel free to contact the team directly at [email protected]

Kind regards, Katrina.

Hello, Do you have any refer a friend promotions or do you give any discounts of vouchers if I refer 5 of my friends to get your insurance?

Ash asked on Sep 08, 2017

Answer this

Hi Ash, thanks for your question.

No we don't have anything like that available at the moment, but we are constantly looking for new things to do, so if you sign up to our newsletter at: you'll be advised of any promotions or discount codes etc., as well as receive smart travel advice articles that we write for our customers.

Kind regards, Katrina.

does this cover us for natural disaster?

Anna asked on Sep 06, 2017

Answer this

Hi Anna

Yes the TravelCare policy does cover natural disasters, as long as it is unexpected to you.
For example, cover would apply if you purchase a policy, and then a week or so later, an unexpected event such as a volcano erupted, which caused disruption to your pre-paid flights. Cover would not apply if a policy was purchased after the volcano had erupted, as this is not considered unexpected.

I hope that helps, however please feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you have any further questions.

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

I'm currently living in Canada with southern cross travel insurance but wanting to go home (Australia) for a week in November when my insurance doesn't expire till next June. Will my insurance cance out or continue as normal when I re enter my home?

Madeline G asked on Aug 28, 2017

Answer this

Hi Madeline,

Thanks for your question.

If you have purchased a Single Journey policy, your cover will cease once you arrive in Australia, as the policy only provides cover for one round trip journey, (departing Australia to your overseas destination(s) and back again). This means your policy would no longer be valid for a return trip if you returned to Australia.

Please feel free to contact the team directly if you would like to discuss this further, please email us at [email protected]

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

If I take out my travel insurance with you and then prior to leaving on my holiday there is a upgrade warning to not travel to this location ...can I claim a full refund on what I have out laid re: flights, accommodation, tours etc I look forward to your response. Thanks

Rae asked on Aug 27, 2017

Answer this

Hi Rae,

Thanks for your question.

Provided that the ‘Do not Travel’ or ‘Reconsider your need to travel’ is issued after the purchase of your policy, and the travel warning directly affects your destination, and it does not relate to any exclusions contained in the policy wording, there is provision for reimbursement of your non-refundable prepaid arrangements, up to the limits shown in the Schedule of Benefits. An excess of $100 applies to this section of the policy.

If the ‘Do not travel’ or ‘Reconsider your need to travel’ warning is related to any exclusions of the policy, or to a ‘Loss We Do Not Cover Under Section 2’, there would be no provision for cover.

You can find our policy wording here: And please feel free to contact us at [email protected] if you'd like to clarify anything further.

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

Do you cover Travel Delay or Cancellation?

Lisa L asked on Aug 22, 2017

Answer this

Hi Lisa, thanks for your question.

Yes there is cover for Travel Delay or Cancellation. More can be found on our website here:

Or feel free to check out our policy wording which can be found here:

If you would like to clarify anything further, please feel free to contact the team directly at [email protected]

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.+

My partner and i are moving to canada on a working visa and will be snowboarding regularly in the designated safety areas of the resort. Just wanted to know if you cover snowboarding on piste and in the terrain park? Many thanks, Stef

Stefanie M asked on Aug 06, 2017

Answer this

Hi Stefanie,

Apologies for the delay in replying, we were only made aware of your question over the weekend, 12/08. If you have any further questions, in future it may be quicker to contact the team directly at [email protected]

With regards to your question above, amateur recreational skiing and snowboarding is covered under our TravelCare policy provided this takes place inside a designated commercial ski area, including a terrain park, not ‘off piste’, and not in areas which have been closed for any reason.
Sporting equipment is not covered for damage which occurs whilst it is in use.

Please be aware that our TravelCare policy is designed to provide cover for leisure travel. There is no cover, under any section of the policy, for any claims arising directly or indirectly from work undertaken during your journey, other than work which takes place solely in an office environment with no manual work or manual activities.

Also, the maximum duration of a ‘Single Journey’ policy is one year, and it is not possible to purchase additional policies after your departure from Australia.

I hope this information helps you, you are welcome to also check out our travel article here:

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

Hi. My family and I are going on a cruise from Sydney to Fiji, New Caledonia & Vanuatu. Do you cover travel on cruise ships? Do you cover evacuation off a cruise ship, should a medical issue arise?

Alicia F asked on Aug 02, 2017

Answer this

Hi Alicia, thanks for your question.

Yes we cover cruises at no additional cost, you can create a quote at
The TravelCare policy is a comprehensive one, as it covers all medical costs, (provided you meet the terms and conditions, for example, no cover for pre-existing conditions). This includes medical and evacuation cover when on cruises.

Please feel free to contact the team directly [email protected] if you have any further questions.

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

Hi, if any medical claims are made from overseas, does the documentation and reports have to be translated into English before making a claim ? or can all original documents be sent and SCTI will do the translation itself?

anthony Sam asked on Aug 01, 2017

Answer this

Hi Anthony, thanks for your question.
Its probably best just to send us all the documents. The claims team will take a look at these and decide whether further translation is needed. They will contact you if this happens.
If you'd like to clarify this further, please feel free to contact the team directly at [email protected]
Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

Hi Anthony, we made our claim with Philippines Medical Doctors so nearly all in English but not sure how you would go in other Non English Counties. I would be asking for as much translation as possible from the medical centres while I am there instead of trying to chase it up when I get back here...... cheers Shane

We submitted the original documents in Spanish as my daughter needed care in Chile. I was careful to add a description (in english, obviously) of all that happened (even included photos), and explained what each expense was. I also highlighted the cost on each invoice and even added the exchange rate for that exact day. Bottom line... I sent all the evidence that I had and considered relevant. SCTI responded and refunded us very fast. They didn't request anything else; no translated docs were necessary.

I had breast cancer surgery early 2015 and subsequent treatment I have had no symptoms since. I plan to travel to Japan next April. Is this a pre-existing condition and do I have to make a special declaration?

Marg asked on Jul 29, 2017

Answer this

Hi Marg, thanks for your question.

If you'd like to be covered for anything that may unexpectedly occur overseas, which relates to breast cancer, then it would be best to declare it and pay the additional premium. However it is up to you whether you wish to declare it or not. Please do be aware that should anything arise while overseas, that relates to breast cancer, and you did not pay an additional premium, then there won't be any cover.

You are not required to declare pre-existing medical conditions, unless you have a heart condition, a vascular or lung condition, or type 2 diabetes - these medical conditions must be declared.

We do have a page on our website which lists some questions, this may be helpful:
Otherwise, please feel free to contact the team directly at [email protected] if you have any further questions.

I hope you have a great time in Japan next year!
Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

who is your underwriter?

carol asked on Jul 23, 2017

Answer this

Hi Carol, we underwrite our own policies.
Here's more information about us if you're interested.
Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

We have booked & paid for our airfare & accomodation for OS but my mother has had a stroke so we have decided it's better we don't travel at this time what documentation do we need to put a claim through insurance?

Tan62 asked on Jul 17, 2017

Answer this

Hi Tan62
I am very sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she is okay.
You can make a claim on our website here: and for documentation there is an article here which explains what is needed when making a claim.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the team directly at [email protected]
Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

Is gastric bypass a pre existing condition?

Lesley asked on Jul 13, 2017

Answer this

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your question.

Under the TravelCare policy, a pre-exisiting condition is defined as:
"any Illness or Injury which a person is aware of, or a reasonable person in that person’s circumstances ought to have been aware of, for which advice (including awaiting test results), care, treatment, medication or medical attention has been sought, given, or recommended within the last 3 years prior to Your Start Date of Insurance and regardless of whether or not a medical diagnosis has been made".

This can be found in the policy wording here:

I hope this helps answer your question, but if you'd like to clarify anything further, please feel free to contact the team directly at [email protected]

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

Hi. A friend tells me that if you make a claim under this insurance, then you have to re-purchase the insurance to remain covered for the rest of your trip. Is this true?

Susan asked on Jul 09, 2017

Answer this

I've never heard of this. Sounds odd to me. Most claims are made on returning home so it wouldn't be true.

Not sure, as my wife got sick 2 days into our 4 week vacation, while in transit at Singapore.
The insurance company did inform us that when my wife was fit enough to fly, we would be flown sraight back home.
This was backed up by good medical advise from their medical team and Singapore Doctors.
Four weeks later she was given medical clearance and we were driven to Singapore Airport by limo service, taken into the business lounge and then my wife was taken by wheelchair to the plane & flown home laying down in business class. On arrival in Australia she was met and escorted by wheelchair to a waiting limo and we were taken from Brisbane airport to our Gold Coast home.
They also paid for all of our hospital bills, Nuero surgeons and any other associated cost, including my hotel stay (quite substantial).
I have still yet to submit cost for several flights that we were unable to board. But my wife's health comes first, I'm sure that won't be a problem for this reputable company.
My wife was definitely taken care of and felt reassured that they cared for her wellbeing.
Now that she is home safely, she is being monitored for her very serious condition.

Hi Susan, I am not sure what your friend's situation was, but this doesn't sound correct.

If you are travelling overseas and for example become sick a couple of times during that period, then you would be able to make a claim for those different occasions. You'd still be covered under the policy for anything else that may happen to you too, without having to purchase further insurance, there is just the excess that applies, per event, for claims other than medical expenses.

I hope this helps answer your question.
Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

Hi, My friend and I woke up with food poisoning this morning while traveling in Europe and as a result we were unable to make our morning flight. I have since booked a later flight to our next destination, is the replacement flight covered by my insurance with you as we were both unable to move? Thanks

Sophie Fetherstonhaugh asked on Jul 08, 2017

Answer this

Hi Sophie,

Apologies for the late reply - there was a delay with Product Review posting this live on their website. If you ever need to get in touch with us fairly urgently the best thing to do is email us directly at [email protected]

I am very sorry to hear you and your friend suffered from food poisoning on your trip and hope you have since made a full recovery. Did you manage to get in touch with our customer service team to check whether your flights were covered?

Kind regards,

Katie - Digital Media Manager

Hi, I went back to my country for two week. I had serious pain at my first week and I went to see doctor, doctor recommended that I need a surgery to remove the Timor as it was too big. I had surgery in my country and part of expense covered by Medicare in my country. I still had to pay around 3500AUD. I wonder in this case, can I claim this? Thanks

Olivia H asked on Jun 27, 2017

Answer this

Hi Olivia, thanks for your question.

The TravelCare policy provides cover for unexpected medical treatment while you're overseas, provided it meets the terms and conditions of the policy, (for example, there's no cover for pre-existing medical conditions). There is no cover for any on-going medical treatment in Australia.

You're welcome to make a claim so the team can consider the expenses you've incurred overseas, the link to the website is here: You will need to provide all medical reports and receipts regarding your treatment.

If you would like to speak directly with one of our team members regarding your situation, please feel free to contact us directly at [email protected], or call us, 1800 196 484 - Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5pm AEST.

I hope all is well for you now and you're recovering quickly after your surgery.

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

Hi there I'm on a student visa in Australia. Wondering am I eligible to purchase travel insurance? Many thanks

Tianxin asked on Jun 26, 2017

Answer this

Hi Tianxin, thanks for your question.

To be eligible to purchase a TravelCare policy, you must be either;
(a) an Australian citizen or permanent resident,
(b) a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who resides in Australia; or
(c) on a visa or permit which allows you access to all publicly funded health and disability services in Australia and is valid until after your end date of insurance.

If you don't meet any of the above criteria, then we're sorry but you wouldn't be covered under the TravelCare policy.

If you would like to clarify any of the above further, please feel free to contact the team at [email protected]

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager

Hello Katrina, My husband and I have been quite impressed so far by your company and are thinking very seriously about buying your policy for our upcoming trip to New Zealand. Just two questions though. Firstly, we are going white water rafting and we have noted that this is covered as long as it is with a fully licensed rafting company in New Zealand. Can you tell me if there is a restriction on what grade rivers we can raft? We could not find any stipulations in your PDS. Can we therefore assume that we will be covered to raft rivers from Grade 1 to 5? Secondly, We've noted that luggage left in a car is not covered. As we are on a self-drive 3 week tour, we will by necessity sometimes stop and walk to a viewing area leaving our luggage in the lock car. Is there an extra cover we can take out to cover this? I know this would give me a great peace of mind. Our suitcases will be covered by a blind as well so they will be out of view. Thanks for your help. Amanda

Amanda asked on Jun 23, 2017

Answer this

Hi Amanda

Thanks for your question.

Regarding the white water rafting question, provided that you're rafting with a commercial operator, there are no restrictions under the policy on the grade of river.

In relation to your luggage, any small portable items of high value (such as jewellery, watches, cash, bank cards or travel documents like passports) are not covered at all if left unattended at any time in a vehicle.

For other items of luggage, items left in a vehicle overnight or in an unlocked vehicle are not covered. However, if your items are left in a locked vehicle during the day, there would be provision for cover (subject to any other limitations contained in the policy wording).

In the event of a claim, our assessors take into account all supporting documentation, and your situation, to help them determine whether your claim falls within the terms of the policy. I'm sorry but we're unable to amend the terms of the policy, or offer any additional cover for your situation.

Thanks for looking into purchasing a policy from us and I hope you have a great trip in New Zealand.

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

Hi I am an international student in New Zealand. I have a southern cross student max plan. My laptop has stopped working and being a student it is causing me so much of stress and anxiety. It is a battery / motherboard issue.Will the repair cost be covered under my policy. My policy does cover baggage and personal items. Kindly assist me please.

Arlene asked on Jun 17, 2017

Answer this

Hi Arlene, thanks for your question.
It would be best if you contacted our NZ team directly at [email protected] or 0800 800 571. The team will be able to help you with how to make a claim, or you can visit the website, or the FAQs which are found here:
Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

1 of 20 pages