Review rating:
  • 1 helpful vote

Alex Champ 5 Brushcutter Head

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 23, 2017

I have had the Champ 5 head for over 2 years now. It is great. It goes straight through thick and heavy grass. And black berry -- well it just smashes it up. The thick square line lasts at least 4 times longer than the heaviest line I can buy elsewhere.

cessnock

10/10!!!!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2017

Superb! Was actually using my brushcutter with the old head on when the postie delivered my new alex champ head. In less than 5 mins the old head was off and the new one was on and off and running.

There simply aren't enough fancy adjectives to describe this head! It does what it says it will do and in my opinion excels in many regards. I had been umming and ahhing for a while now factoring in the cost and wondering if it really could be as good as advertised. Well my granddad was fond of saying "there's no cheapness in cheap things".
How true.

The champ 5 is beautifully made and is incredibly easy to change line on.

The line really does last longer and with this head on my brushcutter simply destroys any vegetation you point it at. My only regret is that I have wasted time and money on inferior brushcutter heads when my life could have been made easier if I had bought one of these ages ago.

If you are reading this and considering buying one then my advice is stop reading and buy one. Trust me you won't regret it for an instant. I have no association with the company. I simply believe in giving credit where credit is due and with this cutter head the company simply deserves all the credit I can give.

Oh final note. I placed my order online on the evening of the 4th and it was in my mailbox on the morning of the 6th!!!. Now that's service.

Saved our string trimmer.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 25, 2016

New to home ownership in Australia, we purchased a Ryobi RLT1038X 1000w electric string cutter. The cutter itself was great, but the cutting head / string advance system is worthless - every time I had to change string or clear jams (which were frequent), it took two hours of fighting a hopeless and poorly documented design. The abysmal design and quality of the cutting head made the cutter useless, and I was about to junk it until I found Ales's website. Since the 1038X is a relatively new model, spoke on the phone with Alex to make sure I got the right fit. Once I had the old head off (requirements: two pair of channel-lock pliers, two people), the new head went on in seconds. It works great. We get maybe 3-4 trims of our normal-sized suburban block per pair of strings, and changing string takes seconds. The 1038X is actually a good machine now - it's more powerful than typical electric trimmers, and takes other attachments (we have the edger, which works fine). It's a shame that Ryobi ruins an otherwise good design with a completely unacceptable head - but Alex saved us!

Alex Turbo3 Brushcutter Head - the same cord now lasts 3x longer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2016

I purchased a Turbo3 for my Stihl FS38 bent shaft machine recently. Delivery was super fast considering I live in regional Queensland. I had been using a similar high density plastic head prior and the line would break at the head and need replacement 3-4 times each time I mowed my standard house block. Using line from the very same roll with the Turbo3 head I am now getting 3-4 full mows done before the line wears down and eventually breaks at the head. I'm very happy with the product and have recommended it to several friends.

Champ Jr 2

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2015

I purchased the Champ Jr 2 after calling the 1800 number on the website. I was clearly instructed on which product would suite and clear instructions on how to install device. The product came within a day and was amazing I have never used a line trimmer head that works as well and is as strong as this device. I am extremely happy with the product.

Brilliant - transformed the brushcutter

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2015

I purchased the Champ 5 and this head has been an excellent addition to the brushcutter arsenal. There are several areas in which the head excels :
I can fine tune the head according the conditions -ie number of lines and the thickness. Very heavy going and mine operates best with four heavy lines. Lighter conditions and six is the go. Also works very well with the lighter line.
The cord doesn't snag and wind itself around a foreign object as would be the case with a conventional head and light line. No more replacing line that has been pull
ed out because it has caught on something.
Heavy duty square line lasts so much longer.
Light weight- much easier to use therefore easier on the operator. I have lower back issues and found I had far less fatigue at the end of the day.
Much more efficient - easier to manoeuvre into tight spots and found that I had better throttle control especially when coming up to tree trunks etc.
Better fuel consumption. Head is much easier on the bruschcutter because of its lighter weight and increased efficiency.
Replacing line is quick and easy.
Quality product that works

Champ Jr 2

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2015

I have a 10 amp (approx. 1100 watt) corded brushcutter (string trimmer here in U.S.) that came with a poorly designed plastic head that quickly failed. I wanted something that would last as long as the Craftsman I inherited from my dad that had finally given out after more than 22 yrs. The head was the problem on the new Craftsman (older model had a cast aluminum head), so after Ian ascertained an Alex brush cutter head would work, I bought one. There was some difficulty finding the right nut here in the land of WHY-are-we-still-imperial-instea d-of-metric?!, but Ian really went the extra mile to help me solve the problem--absolutely the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Unlike the one star reviewer, I consistently use far less string with the Alex brush cutter head. At least 1/3 less. I threaded a long ball chain through the holes in the handles of my crescent wrenches (I very much like having 2 as the head does tighten as it spins. Using 2 makes very quick work of changing line), which I put through the handle of the brushcutter when I'm finished so I've never had a problem mislaying them.

Simply not having to change line so frequently takes a considerable amount of time off a chore I don't really enjoy, the square line cuts cleaner with greater ease, and since I live in the Rocky Mountains with plenty of loose granite rocks hiding in tall grass, the cast aluminum head is really a necessity. The brushcutter definitely feels more powerful with the new head and better designed line. I am more than satisfied with the Champ Jr 2 and would recommend it to anyone with an electric brushcutter with a rear mounted motor. Ian called it the Rolls Royce of brushcutter heads--mine's even better (for my purposes)--it's a Tesla.

Perth WA

• 18 helpful votes

Just Do It!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2014

15 Reviews on Product Review to date. All reviews rate this as a 5 star product and my opinion is the same. I cannot say anymore than has already been said. Australian designed quality product that is simple to fit and easy to use. Turns your Brushcutter into a weapon. I bought the Champ 5 for my 35 cc Brushcutter and with 3 pieces of the 3.6mm square shaped cutting cord inserted and 6 cutting points as opposed to the generic 2 there is no comparison. Great product and fantastic service.

• 1 review
  • 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes

Alexbrushcutter Turbo 3 Head

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2014

The Turbo 3 has turned my Stihl 45fC and old McCulloch TM251 into real beasts and made these lightweight domestic tools half useful for cutting horehound, wards weed and thick grass. Do yourself a favour and toss out those useless bump feed things and put one of these on your machine. You won't look back and you will wonder how you ever tried to cut grass without one - absolutely brilliant tool. They are great to deal with too.

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Amazing Service and an amazing product!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2014

We have a Honda whipper snipper and 5 years or so ago we bought a power head for it from Alex Brushcutter Heads. Unfortunately I lost a part, my fault entirely, so I rang Ian at Alex Brushcutters and he was extremely helpful. In the ensuing 5 years he had redesigned the power head and it's now called the Turbo 3. He had a replacement for the power head I had but I decided to buy a new Turbo 3. It was at my place within two days and is beautifully engineered and working wonderfully already. Great service [name removed] - we're impressed!

+ Beautifully engineered and fabulous service from the company. [name removed] was very knowledgeable and also very patient with me.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I thought I'd add a bit to my review of the Turbo 3. It's still going strong, no problems at all.

Don't Hesitate

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 28, 2014

The time I wasted looking at new machines I couldn't afford, when all I needed to do was put an ABH Champ Jnr 2 on my 20 year old Echo. The result was a whole new lease of life. Great product, and wonderful service from them who was happy to answer all my dumb questions

+ Robust, light weight and works as well as the advertisement says it will.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes