RIPPED OFF, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, POOR INFORMATION REGARDING SET UP

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2017

We bought our Voyager RF5 hard floor Off road camper in June 2015 for $16,000 (and it was on sale). We recently tried to sell our camper which is practically still very new because we wanted to upgrade and came across a lot offers of under $10,000 as these buyers kept mentioning that you could buy our model camper for $10,000 brand new. I went on to MDC web site and found that where selling our model camper brand new for $10,000 - WOW what company can reduce the sale value by $6,000 in such a short time, our camper is only 1 and half years ol d, how ripped off did we feel. No wonder we found it hard to try and sell our camper even advertised at $11,000 and in great condition it would not sell due to being overpriced as we unfortunately found out the hard way. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, you will loose a lot of money, this is criminal that MDC can reduce the sell price by over $6,000 in such a short period, there is no resale value in this product due to there extreme under cutting of sale prices. Also they sold us an extended 5 year warranty for $1,500 which we found via email one week later the contract for the warranty was with an external insurance company and not MDC direct, the terms and conditions in the contract did not cover off road - GO FIGURE we bought an OFF ROAD camper and MDC sold us the extended warranty, MDC mislead us with this product as well. The insurance company require a yearly large check list to be completed at your own cost through a credited caravan dealer to keep the extended warranty valid, and as you can image not a cheap process,DO NOT PURCHASE extended warranties from MDC, they will mislead you and rip you off on this product as well. MDC are happy to take your money and the customer service fails when you need to address issues and complaints. We had a couple of warranty issues in the first two weeks of receiving our camper which was disappointing, we did not have the best experience in having these repaired in the manner you would expect with a new camper. Overall we enjoyed the concept of owing a off road hard floor camper however the experience has been soured by MDC campers. I rang and asked MDC to refund our extended warranty amount of $1,500 as they sold us a product that did not suit our OFF ROAD camper, you can image what happened to this request NOTHING - NO Resolution at all. Be very weary when considering buying a MDC camper do your home work do not learn the hard way as we did. It is not worth your money brand new, might as well throw cash out the window. 4WD action should STRONGLY reconsider promoting and advertising MDC campers, this is the only reason why we even considered the MDC campers due to their promoting of this product. Please learn from our tough lesson. I feel sick thinking about the amount of money we have lost with this product. If I can save one person the heart ache than I will be happy.
Also trying to get through to Campbellfield office during business hours is incredibly frustrating and no-one seems to answer the phone there. Your constantly having to leave message after message. I had no option but to choose one star as this is even way to much for our experience with MDC campers Melbourne

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi, Very sorry you feel this way, MDC strives to ensure all our products are priced according to the specifications of those trailers. Your MDC 2015 Voyager, is a very well optioned trailer. I... read more »

Hi Andrew Thanks for your response. I can guarantee you that when we paid for the extended warranty at the time of our purchase of the camper trailer we where not informed of the extended warrant... read more »

Verified Purchase

So far so good!!! Excellent camper

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 24, 2017

Picked up our cruiser slide from Townsville last month very very happy with the quality of the trailer and the service from MDC!! The delivery date of the camper was a week late which was no big deal as the staff kept us informed about when it would arrive. When we picked the camper up we got a full rundown of how to set it up and also told about the very helpful YouTube videos about setting and packing up camper. We have set the camper up a few times now and haven't noticed any big issues with the camper yet only one minor issue was a couple o f rivets a bit loose on the latch that holds the slide open easily fixed though!! can't wait to take it on its first big trip!! Another thing I did notice was to make sure you check the wheel nuts before leaving and after a few KMs (which you should do before any trip) as a couple on the trailer where slightly loose.. looking forward to many years happy camping in our MDC

Adelaide re opening

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 21, 2017

Hi , I am looking forward to Adelaide reopening. Hopefully Kevin the old manager will return as he was a pleasure to deal with. Fixed all our issues and went the extra mile. I never had any issues with customer service when he was running it. Good luck MDC

Mount Isa

• 3 helpful votes

Disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

Ordered our XT12 in January and were super excited to drive the 8 hours to pick it up from the holding depot. We paid an extra $880 to have it freighted from the major Centre and although this was expensive thought it would be worth the money. At 4pm the day before we were due to leave and go and pick it up we got a call from MDC stating that the factory had "forgotten" to install the air conditioner and were told that we would have to wait 2 more weeks to pick it up. Well you can imagine our anger and disappointment. Seriously how can a compan y forget to install something so significant? 10 days later and still hadn't had a phone call offering any kind of compensation for the inconvenience. (Especially because we have to drive for 8 hours to pick it up). We tried to speak to a manager and were told all managers are off sick (this was 2 days in a row). Finally got to speak to someone today who told us that the air conditioner will be installed in 10 days time and then told we're "lucky" because we could've been waiting for 3 months. Seriously MDC? Now after reading all these reviews about lying I'm worried that we will drive the 8 hours to pick it up and it will either not be ready or have other issues with it. Not happy!!!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Sue, I'm very sorry this situation has occured and has come to my attention. Market Direct Group endeavours to to keep to timelines and ensure deliveries are not delayed. Due to a miscommu... read more »

Redland bay

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

Poor quality product & horrible customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 07, 2017

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

trying get a sit down with a manager to discuss our repairs

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 01, 2017

hubby and i have consistently contacted mdc in regards to our camper and the after sales service is lacking to say the least . we are asking to contact a manager to discuss our issues . it has now been 6 weeks since the camper went in and 2 weeks since we asked for a sit down chat to discuss our issues

March 3rd 2017 Update: 50 days and counting
it has been 50 days and counting since we dropped our tbox elite off for warranty repairs . lucky for us we are not holding our breath whilst we wait. i am forced to mark 1 star but that is way to much credit ......

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Wendy, I needed to wait for my manager to get back from Melbourne and when i spoke to peter two weeks ago we were just finalising the last of the work needed, As it was custom stitching work... read more »

• 1 review
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

Poor quality covers and very ordinary customer care when you have a problem once they have your mone

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 22, 2017

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Troy, Sorry to hear about this experience i'm more than happy to have a chat and see what we may be able to do. The red covers today may well be very different to the one you have from 2012... read more »

Cairns

• 11 helpful votes

Verified Purchase

The Worst Customer Service and Company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 16, 2017

This company is unbelievably bad. After 12 months of not being able to use our camper as ordered for new, we have given up trying to get it repaired under warranty and will fix it at our own cost. From the very onset of a terrible rushed handover, we didn't even get to the first night before all of the (3) tanks started leaking water. None of the water level sensors were accurate so we quickly ran out of water with gauges showing half full. Then the water pump failed and they blamed us for not monitoring water level - really!!!!!! Retuned to st ore (3 hour drive back) and they "fixed it, should be good matey". Well it wasn't. Filled up at servo, poured out of 2 tanks immediately. Returned and "should be good now matey". Nope, next day poured out. Solar stopped working, gas hot water failed, rear wheel carrier broken main support pin, top roof seal broken and leaking, the list went on. Took it back, left it with them and returns home (4 hour drive). Well, 5 weeks later still not fixed, pretty annoyed. Agreed would be fixed in 1 week and planned to return. Arrived on planned day, guess what, not finished 9 they started looking at it the day before I arrived). Now they tell me the solar charger is not compatable with my car and i have to buy a different one. Unbelievable. I pay up $650 for "more suitable type". OK, go to test, not working Oh the solar panels have failed, " we will have to get you New nes, matey". None in Australia, come back in 2 months-----. 2 months later panels replaced, spare shall carrier fixed, stone guard replaced 9 oh yeh, it fell off). Off we go again. 2 days into trip, ran out of water. Damm, home we go. (7 Hours). Test 200 litre ( as advertised) water system, can only get 100 litres out. Back to dealer, pulls it apart, says all fixed, test again, best out was 150 litres. Their response was - we never said you could get 200 out, so it is what it is. Unbelievable. Contact Owner ([name removed]) on Facebook says" yup will sort it out locally for you straight away). Emailed him all details, no response, kept emailing no response. Lodged complaint to office fair Trading, he told them. "yes i will attend to and ensure customer is happy". 4 more emails sent to him, guess what, no response. Anyway, the list of defects ever increase, but I have given up on this pathetic business. NOTE to MDC, You do not need to respond to this. The last time you did you swooped in like Superman on social Media to save the day and help your customer, then as soon as the social spotlight dimmed, you went as cold as a naked night in Siberia.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Voyager rear fold

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2017

Just had our first outing in our new purchase, 2 year old MDC Voyager, fantastic, well engineered, over engineered if anything for us, easy to put up after our old soft floor. Only thing would be an online wiring diagram to understand the electrics.

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Great to here your enjoying the Voyager Martin. Thanks for the review

Andrew

• 6 helpful votes
Private message

MDC don't buy and never there fault

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 13, 2017

I brought a MDC step thru ... this is we we went wrong the sales process told me what I wanted to here and I even asked about warranty and claims, the sale staff said the always put warranty before new builds. What a joke !!! This new camper had its brakes fail on the way home for collection I called them and they said it's must be my brake controller... I told them this was a new brake controller installed 1 week before we collected they wanted proof that the correct brake controller was installed .. again I told them it was installed by a pro fessional business. They agreed to look at it. Well I waited 3 weeks and still no reply.
I called and email again and they said they have no records of my warranty.. this company is a joke and don't care about warranty it's now been 7 weeks and only last week after the 9 call they have booked the camper in and I had to wait 3 weeks before they could look at it... I'll keep this posted updated.
At this stage I don't want the camper as it's a lemon on delivery.
List of claims

Electrical brakes have never worked
Fridge wiring had never been connected
Rust already and we have never used it
One side panel come apart which was only pop riveted...
The jockey wheel pins had also faking out on the way home.

These campers a poorly built and at this stage as it's a lemon on delivery I want a full refund and I'll buy a camper from WILD BORE

Have already logged a case with QCAT, ACCC and my son who is a barrister is also getting involved.

Never buy from this company again.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Shane, I'm very sorry to here about this situation. Are you able to call me to discuss, we are working to ensure trailers are getting booked and promptly returned with any issues fixed. Wo... read more »

Awesome Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2017

After reading some not so nice reviews, I wanted to send in a more accurate account of customer service, which I received at MDC Perth. We absolutely love our camper, JFF, we have only encounter a couple of minor issues, (we have been out in it several times), which have been corrected immediately by Fernando. He has delivered wonderful customer service, a wonderful camper, and is always happy to help with any enquiries. I would recommend MDC to all!

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Thanks Bec good to see you have had fantastic service from the crew in Perth, I hope you plenty of fun times with your camper.

After Sales service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 02, 2017

Well i wish we had taken note of the reviews but we thought people were just whingers.Well now we now they were not. We have purchased a Cape York in November 2016 and as of today have still been unable to use it. We have found that the aftersales service to be unhelpful we have been spoken to rudely the phone has been put down on us,we get ignored, and have been called a liar by the staff. the extra electrics we paid for were not installed which they fixed straight away as we did not take the trailer home.Then we found that the 12volt was not working and one of the sockets went straight through because it was not fixed inside,we was told this could not be fixed before xmas as they were too busy and told to call after the 9th of January and not to use the trailer, we called on the 19th of january to bring the trailer in and was told they could not fix it until the end of February and after i lost my cool and asked for the area managers number they got the trailer in that day, we then found we could not drive it in as it had no break lights.they had it for 3 or 4 days we asked for the warrenty to be started from now as we have been unable to use the trailer as instructed by MDC. We were told by Ian that he would call Andrew and arrange it we have now been told no they will not do this.We have now found that water goes in through the back near to the mattress we found this when we hosed the trailer down to get the dust off it,We have today spoken to MDC and was told they find it highly unlikley that water has got in but we have taken photos.also told my partner has been hung up on.All we get is rudness and lies.the hand over was terrible we was not even shown how to open it up and set up as we was told would happen as part of the deal.as first time owners we find this very dissapointing.we only get any response when we say we will start to complain.We have just this minute been told by Andrew if we have anymore issues just to call and ask HaHaHa that is funny as today when we tried to call and ask we were hung up on and called a liar.So dont buy from MCD unless you can stand a lot of aggrivation and stress

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Really Disappointed, Sorry you felt you were treated that way when you rang the showroom. I am personally sorry if you were hung up on, glad we had a chance to have a conversation yesterday wh... read more »

1 of 8 pages

what brand of wareproofing should we use . had our off road camper for years and now starting to leak

mafki asked on Feb 27, 2017

Hi Mafki,

Aquaproof is what we use to re-waterproof canvas, Very effective Product.

Andrew Gilbert
Market Direct Group
National After Sales and Service Manager
0428 084 060
andrewg@marketdirect.com.au

Some stitching on the inside of the tent , have ripped out , in the roof . This is the second time we have used it. Do we need to drive it back to the shop ( in Perth ) , or does somebody locally fix it?

Stuart asked on Feb 19, 2017

Hi Stuart,

if you can provide me some photos that would assist. If you are a fair distance from a Branch we normally need a quote from a repairer first.

Then let Fernando in Perth know so he can authorise it.

Andrew Gilbert
Market Direct Group
National After Sales and Service Manager
0428 084 060
andrewg@marketdirect.com.au

I am looking into swapping my 2000 model millard caravan for a 2014 mdc camper off road never have I owned one before so I don't have any idea if it's a good buy????its got all the bells and whistles to it and great for free camping so that's a bonus,I was also wondering if we would be able to attach more rooms of it as we have 5 kids and need the space it has a hard floor so again any feed back would be fantastic??thanks all regards John..

Johnboy asked on Feb 06, 2017

John
As my review concluded they are a very tough camper van and suit off road camping. I have added extra canvas areas to my camper and used the local canvas people, I note that some of the campers have extra rooms that can be purchased from MDC. If I was purchasing second hand I would check the shocks for any oil residue, the hitch for any elongation of the main pin attachment, and underneath for broken welds etc all these systems can be put down to hard mileage and rough treatment and if found the price should be showing the needed repairs.

As we have traveled I have found most people are sensible but when traveling in 4 wheel drive country the fools at the wheel do astound me, thus some campers can have very hard mileage on them, if it does not look good then think about another camper.

Before camping with any new tent I do a couple of things firstly I wet the canvas over a couple of days about three times, I then allow the canvas to dry for a week and then spray with a good canvas waterproofing, my current camper was in Ipswich last year when they had the worst rain event on 50 years not a drop inside, our last trip up north it rain for a week once again not a drop, had a lot of other fellow campers complaining about there canvas leaking. I also use candle wax on the zippers especially if camping around the salt water areas this stops the zipper from sticking and prevent zip lock when the zipper is stored in the fully up or down position.

I hope your purchase goes well and you enjoy your new freedom
Bobm

Thanks bob really appreciate your time to answer my question many thanks again happy camping

See all 37 questions about Market Direct Campers