• 1 answer

2 Year Review - MDC Gal Extreme

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2017

Hi People.
Firstly, I must admit I do not know much about camper trailers. We (2a and 2c) love camping and exploring Oz.
Secondly, rather than spend uber $, we decided to include price as a consideration, this meant that we would not be sold on luxury items, or who made them etc.
Thirdly, we are not glampers, and basic packages do quite well for us.
Now, having owned trailers before, and seeing how quickly they rust, we thought it was a good idea to get a galvanised model. True to form, no signs of rust yet. At the time of purchase, we
were able to score the gal version at the same prices as the powder-coated model. (Sorry MDC team - you'll probably be hammered by customers now).
So, sales helpful, and the product was delivered a few days before eta. (full ticks and thanks).
The delivery came with an instructional video, which my wife insisted I watch, knowing that I rarely, if ever, follow instructions. But then again, I'm a bloke, what more can I say?
The foldout is easy. Setting up the awning a little bit more complex, but I think everyone can make it easier for themselves with more practice.
Since purchase in Nov 2014, we have spent a total of 46 nights gracing campsites around SEQ. We have also towed the camper to Tasmania for a 15 night trip, and Carnarvon, Cania, Woodgate for a 9 night expedition. For the budget conscious, this so-far represents a return of $152/night for a family of 4 (not including park fees - unpowered sites)
Mostly sealed roads with some 2wd gravel short treks, but no off-roading. (we are not chasing barramundi, nor are we a bunch of rednecks - sorry!)
OK, so we have experienced no leaks, no issues. although recently, the drain hose for the sink broke. I purchased an ill-fitting temp extendable hose from Bunnings until I can get the proper size one. But hey, that's not a complaint, at most, just a whinge!
The mattress is bloody comfortable, the setup really great (although we went with the 7 foot tent, I'd recommend the larger version as when we don't set up the annex as an enclosed tent, the 7 foot MDC-05 is a little small for 2 stretcher beds) - another whinge.
I don't thing that we have been lucky at all with the product. I can't comment on other brands, because I haven't had anything to do with them. I feel for those who have found problems and hope they can be resolved really quickly and cheaply. We have not had to experience any after-sales support.
Please feel free to PM me if you like to ask me more questions.
Regards & thanks.

Ararat

• 1 helpful vote

Poor customer service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 10, 2017

We bought an MDC Stepthrough Camper and discovered that the tent had not been constructed properly and didnt actually fit the camper. After lodging a warranty claim and multiple phone calls to the Melbourne branch we are yet to have our claim resolved. We have been told that a new tent would be sent down from Brisbane but now it is several months later and there is still no sign of a replacement tent. Very disappointed with the service and communication.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Awesome. Extremely happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 04, 2017

Bought a Jackson forward fold from Brisbane store. The guys were a pleasure to deal with. Trailer arrived on time,Steve went through everything with me on pick up and showed me a few little tricks. I'm on Moreton Is as I speak,it's been raining for 2 days and not one bit of water in the tent. Everything is well thought out and good quality. Big thumbs up MDC. Thank you.

Adelaide, South Australia

• 4 questions

So far, so good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2016

After a 7 years in a camper trailer I bought my off road caravan in 2011. Didn't use it off road a great deal and missed the spell of the smokey canvas of the old camper trailer. So I did a 2 year examination of camper trailers that suited my needs. I chose the Market Direct Camper New York Edition, and collected it December 19 2016. I collected it in Melbourne and transported it to Adelaide where I live. Spent the next few days erecting is dropping it back down. First time as expected took a couple of hours, the next time 21 minutes with litt le fuss. Have not yet taken it on a trip but at this point very happy with what I have. I have to mention Ryan Flynn who was the salesman. A young guy who could not have been more helpful. If he didn't know the answer to a question, he didn't make up an answer he found out. In my 63 years of living, I don't think I have ever come across a salesperson who help me as much as Ryan. I collected the trailer from Melbourne and Stuart arranged the collection was easy to deal with and I am very happy.

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

After sales and customer service very disappointing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 16, 2016

Purchased Camper Feb 2014, not a pleasant experience dealing with sales team and service team. Hand over of camper was very poor. Communication with MDC was a nightmare. Not helpful at all. Would not recommend the company, difficult to get a response from MDC when problems occur and parts need to be ordered. Had trouble with the kitchen sliding open and hitting a tree when travelling on rough roads even though the latches were locked. MDC refused to believe that this could happen. This happened in 1st week of Jan 2016 and we have tried every av enue possible to get a new kitchen and this has taken 11 months (during which time we have been unable to use our camper) still waiting. Took 11 months to finally get a kitchen from China with no help from Sydney branch, tried Brisbane, they were reluctant to even try to get a kitchen from China, but finally did after many emails and phone calls which were usually unanswered. We had to continually chase them up as they would not keep us informed of what was happening. Very disappointed with their lack of care and communication.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

• 1 answer

Verified Purchase

Cant wait to use my camper trailer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2016

I live in SA, no store here so purchased over the phone / internet. All went smooth staff very helpful. They gave me a lead time and it was on time. Great value for money cant wait to start using it.

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

Like the product, aftersales service = nonexistent...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 08, 2016

I must first stress that I didn't buy my MDC product new, however it may as well have been new as it was in such good condition, by accident a wheel arch/guard was been damaged & after 8+ months of trying to buy a replacement ( including standing at a 4WD, caravan show & pointing at the offending item & being told they were readily available ) I am going to give up & just find someone to make the guard for me, after reading a stupendous amount of reviews & talking with fellow owners, I can say the MDC product seems to relatively good value for money, as long as you don't want to buy anything from the company after the initial unit purchase...

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

I have just put an order in for another customer.

Wheel Arches are now in Stock. Ring Brisbane and arrange $60.00 plus freight.

I have other customers who also wanted them that i am now following up with.

• 7 helpful votes

Incompetent

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2016

Disgraceful,when I was buying couldn't help enough,once paid and went to pick up electric brakes not working they blamed my vehicle so I spent $130 dollars to auto electrian who was great tested brakes in front of me and finally he showed me why they weren't working they weren't even hooked up,first time this has happened they said (2weeks later) finally got it home and pins in jockey wheel snapped I'm still waiting for them to get posted out 2 weeks later,I wouldn't buy anything off them again.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Graeme,

Which branch was this? have you lodged a warranty claim for the replacement Jockey wheel and who did you speak to?

Andrew

Revesbry,yes I had to call them after both times once to see if they fixed the electric brakes (said they called) and third time today for the pins only to be told they don't have pins (it's not ha... read more »

Hi Graeme,

I'm in Sydney this week and have a jockey wheel sitting next to my desk as a replacement for you.

I'm told your not far from the showroom.

• 1 helpful vote

Cruiser highside

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2016

We purchased a mdc cruiser high side forward fold after doing a load of research and looking at many different brands, We where given a 6 week wait upon ordering and where kept upto date through out wait period and trailer was ready for pickup a few days earlier than eta, we are a family of 6 2a 4c and it meets our needs and their is plenty of room we love it and have had no dramas with it at all definitley Value for money And customer service from mdc Brisbane has been fantastic and more than happy to answer any silly questions we have had since purchase.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Great to her always happy to help.

Jamboree Heights

• 8 helpful votes

XT-10 Issues

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2016

Our initial appraisal on MDC's XT-10. Sales staff were good and friendly.Product looked good and that's where the positives finish.
When we picked up our XT-10 the 1st time, wrong tyres fitted. Brakes didn't work. Pick it up a week later.
Took it out on an outback 5000km trip. Went okay. A few issues. Dust did get in though. Suspension bushes chewed out. Replaced with a better designed bush at my cost. At this stage was under 12 months old. So they knew there was an issue with the bushes.
Solar charging stopped working. Rang MDC to get servi
ce on it. Weeks to get in so no camping for that period. Priority is to build product. Raised issues via email all the way to the top.
Made a list to get things fixed under warranty. Some fixed, some not.
Solar panels were grazed and stopped charging again. Booked in, weeks to get looked at again, but then told I have to deal with the warranty company as we took out the extended warranty. Rang them, no record of my extended warranty. Chased up MDC. After a period of time, the person who did the paperwork no longer works here so it wasn't passed onto them, but we will honour the warranty this time! We will work something out. Money was still paid to MDC but no extended warranty.
Well 6 months later, nothing! I have sent another email to the owner and Andrew to resolve this major issue and gave them 1 week to respond. It has been a week and nothing. I am now in the process of starting action against them with consumer affairs and ACCC. It is an absolute joke trying to deal with them all the way to the top. There is a group on Facebook with their own nightmare stories as well and it doesn't look good out there.
Issues still outstanding:
Solar not charging properly
DC-DC charger never worked
Brakes still didn't work properly after their warranty service, but now no longer works.
Buy at your own risk.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Thanks Sonny B, As discussed I advised we were honouring the extended warranty, and all future claims are a case by case basis this was back in May. I had booked you for 13th June and even thoug... read more »

We can go back and forth on this Andrew, as per our conversation on Tuesday just gone, your last comment back in May was, that this warranty issue was out of your hands and you were passing it onto... read more »

• 1 review
  • 4 helpful votes

No Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2016

I have ordered a T5 camper and from the moment I walked in and through the entire sales process until delivery there staff and procedures have been terrible. Was told one delivery date when ordered and this changed like 4 more times and was delayed by 2 weeks.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Pat, As you are aware that although we have local factories in Australia we import from our main factory in china, Delays can happen and in this case it may well have, when the product comes i... read more »

Portland Vic

• 5 helpful votes

Little things frustrate me

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 27, 2016

We bought the XT12 almost a year ago. A great setup but with nighling issues that make holiday times less than enjoyable (frustrating).
1. Gas regulator failed .. checked out by independant repairer who advised that the cheap Chinese regulator was NOT at Aus standards... replaced with a servicable unit (German). When I reported to MDC they refused my claim for a replacement regulator claiming they should have had the chance yo see it 1st ... they were not prepared to travel the 2000kms to where we were at the time though.
2. The HWS has never
worked .. am trying to get a response from MDC again .. next post will reflect their response .. hoping it has been better than earlier.
3. Due to LACK of back'up service ... Figure I will have to go to TRUMA as past experiences would indicate that MDC do NOT seem service orientated .. would really love to be able to post that their approach to service enquiries has changed. If they addressed their CUSTOMER SERVICE and improved the customer experience their BRAND would be enhanced. No good having a cool product if you wont / dont look after the client.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi HummGa, 1, All our regulators are made by Cavagno Group that are actually Italian not Chinese as you have stated. Non of our camper trailers or caravans can actually be registered without a Gas... read more »

1 of 7 pages

Why are the majority of these reviews negative or have a low score, is the product not well made or is the service non existant? Most MDC Models seem very similar in design to Lifestyle Camper Trailers - do they purchase them off the showroom floor and ship them to China to be copied? Not too sure I'll spend my money on them.

Guzzi Matt asked on Jan 04, 2017

Answer this

HI. I purchased my camper trailer and all was sweet, all done over the phone/email. It arrived in time as quoted. Small hick up with my lock boxes the wrong key supplied but all sorted after 1 phone call not the end of the world. The camper is from China but so is every major purchase these days. The product is good i guess there are more people writting negative reviews then posting the good. My suggestion Instead of reading reviews from angry people look at the product like i did and make your own decision.

Hi Matt,

MDC have 10 years of experience all our models have a triple draw bar configuration and a ladder chassis second to none on most models, even on our entry level Voyager at $9,990.

All internal metal construction, pinched rubber seals. 12 month warranty on an manufacturer defects and 5 years structural, Chassis and Drawbar warranty.

All I can say is look at it in reality not just pictures online.

We don't get awards and finalist awards for nothing! 2014 and 2016, We win awards as an Australian manufacturer of imported goods and have expanded to Australian built campers and Caravans.

We find there will always be a higher proportion of negatives than positives, But if your on Facebook on sites like MDC Camper Owners Group you get a better idea
of real world customer feedback.

2017 is the new growth chapter with 10 years of proven, tested and reliable product 20,000+ products in the market and counting.

Feel free to call me.
Andrew G
andrewg@marketdirect.com.au

You also have to bear in mind that the MDC owners page on Facebook is a closed group and as it states if you bad mouth MDC you are removed

So I've recently discovered after inspecting our cape york that we have an extendable TV Mount but I'm unsure on how or where this can be mounted. Hasn't come with any mounting instructions. Has anyone set theirs up and can give some advise ? Cheers Matt

Matt asked on Jan 04, 2017

Is it safe to put my boat straight on top of a soft floor camper, if not, why?

raybab asked on Jan 01, 2017