Very poor customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

Poor customer service. Phone calls and emails go unanswered. No light supplied as advertised nut no one is returning my calls or emails. Also amp meter for battery doesn't work.

Won't ever buy

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2017

Went down to buy one, bloke stood there watched me try work out how to use camper, no help, not interested I pulled up on 2017 Harley Davidson screaming eagle, he was more interested in telling me about his Honda? and said yeah not really big on Harley's, mmm ok.

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase

Don’t touch them!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 01, 2017

I’m amazed this shower is still operating, and I wish it was easier to find these online reviews before I bought my camper(s) in early 2011. They were terrible!
I had originally bought the powder-coated version, but after a few weeks out in the rain (this was early 2011 remember!), unused, it developed a lot of rust marks all around. I took it back in and wanted my money back but the sales manager said I was just suffering from buyers regret and that there weren’t any lemon laws in Qld (I think this says a lot about what they really think abou
t their product!). I pointed out that the thing hadn’t even been used and it would never stand up to the beach if it was rusting already. Sales manager said I had the wrong model for the beach and should have got gal, even though the original sales guy pre-purchase had said the powder coated version would be fine on the beach.
I could see they weren’t going to do anything for me, but the concession I did get was they took back the original unused trailer and I paid more money to upgrade to the gal.
This one didn’t rust but it had lots of minor problems obvious pretty soon after I took delivery: a few missing or loose nuts and bolts, leaky water hoses, non-working number plate lamp (not just the bulb) and suspect electric brakes. The inconvenience of to-ing and fro-ing to get this stuff fixed up just wears you down.
I used it just once, on Moreton Island, before I sold it on. The jockey wheel lasted just 5 mins on Moreton before ripping off – due to a pretty poor setup that allowed it to sit too low.
One of the stabiliser jacks didn’t work properly – you could see a poorly manufactured worm-drive just didn’t engage properly. After my return from the trip I went in to MDC’s workshop to swap it. I waited there ages for a replacement. When I fitted it after I got home – same problem, not working. I should say all their replacement stock on the shelves had the same problem which is why they kept me waiting so long. Some of the components were very cheap and nasty.
Other issues which became apparent:
The water out of the built in water tank was undrinkable, despite multiple flushing and using a deodoriser like bicarb – it had that burnt plastic taste, probably due to the type of pipe used;
If you want to keep your stuff dry there’s no point putting locks/latches on the top lid of the gal toolbox if they let water in. I had to remove them, seal the hole, and fit a simple latch and padlock system;
You can’t get the spare wheel off its holder (well I couldn’t) without also removing the stone guard screen – and you don’t think they all have the same size nuts to match the trailer’s and the car’s wheelnuts do you? Make sure you carry a few spanners or a really decent adjustable.

For not a lot more money I could have got a much better quality brand with more locally-sourced components but it would have been a smaller unit and have had fewer facilities (like the unusable water tank!). I guess you takes your choices…

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 5 answers
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

This company is just terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 18, 2017

Left wheel broke all six studs off on the 4th day of use. They provided the parts however refused to pay for tow and labour for the repairs. Off to NCAT (Fair Trading). The owner called me and threatened me that he would win at the court. $900.00 awarded to me, was necessary to garnishee his bank account to get the money. This man is simply unbelievable. If only they had customer service and client sanctification, however after they have your money you are on your own.
The product could be a winner if only the support was there.
Please watch out they are currently endeavouring to market another van, I believe it is out of Coffs Harbour exercise caution.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Shocking customer service!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 13, 2017

No customer service, since purchasing the camper trailer it has been a nightmare process. They make you pay for the camper in full before picking it up, which I have worked out why, because it prevents you walking away and purchasing a camper trailer from another company that have better customer service.
I was advised that the camper trailer is just waiting on pit inspection and will be ready tomorrow (Friday), drive 80kms one way to pick it up to be told by the manager that the camper trailer is waiting on something else after been told it
was only waiting on pit inspection. Then called a liar by the manager stating his staff called me the day before stating it's not ready. no missed calls, No SMS, no emails. The manager told me in person that the trailer will be ready next Tuesday and will have it delivered. Partner rings up the manager following Monday to find out a time for delivery on Tuesday, for the manager to call me a liar again stating he never said it would be delivered on Tuesday and trying to get it ready for Wednesday.
Enough is enough - phone call to consumer protection for advice and told we have a strong case, another phone call to the manager who finds out that we are seeking legal advice from consumer protection.
Trailer gets delivered late Tuesday afternoon by young bloke from MDC who I can say was very polite and customer focused - young bloke should be teaching the manager how to treat and speak to customers.
Unfortunately unpack the trailer and notice item(s) missing, receive a phone call by the young bloke next day who had forgot to remove the dealer plate from the trailer when he brought it down and if he could pick it up.
young bloke also arranged and brought down missing items.
Attended the licensing centre to register the trailer to be told, sorry can't register the trailer as the VIN number on the pit inspection does not match the VIN number on your invoice.
Thank you to the lady at licensing centre, knew we needed to register the trailer for a trip and instead of sending us away to fix it let us fix it whilst there, another phone call to MDC to get the correct details.
We brought the trailer as friends brought same model and told us the product is good but the customer service isn't. I never thought the customer service would be this bad.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

Very disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2017

Terrible communication. We ordered our camper trailer early Feb. After quite a few emails with hardly any response. We still don't have it. Why have email if you never answer them.
We booked and paid to go away starting at easter for 1 and half weeks. But when my husband finally got a hold of someone. We were told it won't be ready before easter.
We should of read reviews before ordering it.
We had an estimated day of delivery. But its way after that. They never communicated with us about it being late. We had to ring or email to see what was happening.

Scared to purchase now

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

I went and looked at the cruiser slide today. I also looked at another manufacturer just up the road. I liked both campers and could not decide on yours or there's. I must say, I did not expect the high volumes of negative reviews. I am most certainly not going to purchase your camper. Your after sales reputation, have stopped me from spending $19,990 at your Sydney store.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear that you found the service levels not up to par, We have better processes in place for improving customer service and sales.

Thanks for the three stars we appreciate the honest feedback.

Regards
Andrew

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Customer service after you buy a caravan eg batwing for XT17T

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 10, 2017

Ordered caravan and batwing in May at Maitland show. Received caravan in July I finally received bat wing 5 weeks ago but no parts to set it. I was told 2 to 3 weeks guess what 5 weeks still can't set up batwing. It will be 12 months next month. This is not good enough.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Sladey,

I did speak too Sydney about it and all the parts are with them. I understand they also have the Trailer ready to go.

Seem to have been a delay in getting it sorted so hopfully they will have it back to you next week.

Regards
Andrew

They returned my van with parts still missing still cant put up annex .and they now wont answer or return calls .my advice is dont buy mdc because i have never delt with a more disgusting company in my 59 years of life .12 months waiting

Port Macquarie

• 4 comments
  • 2 answers

Been Great

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 05, 2017

We've had our tbox coming up on three years now and overall it's been great. We've covered nearly 25,000klm in and tackled places like the plenty highway, Savannah way and cape York including the tele track.

We've had a few small issues but each time they have been rectified no fuss. I would definitely buy another Mdc when we upgrade to a hard floor or hybrid in the future

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Great to Hear Scott, Glad your enjoying your camper.

Mandurah

Private message

Do not expect any after-market service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2017

Bought our T-box Elite two years ago and the runners for the drawers have broken. This is normal wear and tear and I was quite happy to replace them. Could not find the same size runners at any of the usual stores (Bunnings etc) or on-line. Phoned MDC, they asked me to measure it and send them pictures which I did. I phoned back a week later, had to tell my story all over again and remind them what I was after. Each time I was told "we'll get on to that straight away and get back to you." Phoned two weeks later and was asked "well have you looked at Bunnings?" Long story short, a month later and no one has come back to me, no one is interested in helping and I can't go buy the same parts anywhere else.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi Mike, Sorry to hear you have been having difficulty getting the draw runners sorted on your Elite. Are both sides? Feel free to give me a call, i can have a T-box elite hear and i can go a... read more »

Brisbane

• 6 helpful votes

Horrible customer service brisbane

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2017

Bought a brand new camper last week. Too much to go into but it was a headache to get ahold of due to false information on the Estimated Time of Delivery. They managed to 'find' one on the same day they told us it was going to take a further 4 weeks.... Took the trailer home, all seemed good until we figured out they gave us the wrong drawing with the wrong setup video along with a bag of poles in which we had extra poles of some numbers and missing others (made it an absolute nightmare to setup for the first time). We didn't find this out unti l some days after when they sent through the correct drawing. We had issues with a simple little sink cap that we received 1 of 2 pieces we need to stop the water dumping straight over the pump (which it did...). They threw in a tropical cover as a sweetener due to the initial purchase dramas. Only to find one of the clips were broken and the bag was visibly damaged (most probably a returned one).

Upon trying to sort out getting what I'd paid for, I got told it was up to me to return the extra poles at my cost or travel 40 minutes to their shop to exchange for what was mine. The customer service is the worst I've come across for a big ticket item. Couldn't get any confirmation on whether they were organising the missing poles or other items. Ran the gauntlet and just went in today to return the extra poles, broken tropical cover and to hopefully pick up what was mine (hopefully, as I never heard back as to whether they were even attempting to have it ready for pick up). A simple text back saying if they were or weren't would have been sufficient.

Upon arriving, I realised, no one that I had previous dealing with were working. I explained that I was returning what I had and what I wanted in return. The guy was oblivious (through no fault of his own. Due to zero communication from customer service) that the stuff I was after had been left by the door. He was telling me to go to their warehouse and I was getting agitated as I'd been trying to sort this for the past week and I live no where near their shop or their warehouse. I shouldn't have been the one spending money on trying to right their wrong. As we were in the middle of figuring out who had to do what, he stumbled across the bundle. This should be the end of it right? Nope....

In the bundle I was missing the cap (which the customer service person had sent me photos of and clearly knew what part it was) and the man helping me had claimed to have never seen a cap like that before.... he did his best to find a part but ended up finding something completely different for me to try (once again, this guy was still helpful).

I got home to discover that the cap alternative didn't work (no surprise), the cover I had checked out and the clips aren't broken (so it should be good), 1 of the poles was good but the other 2 poles were clearly something they threw together and were 1200mm too short. Completely useless. I called back to air my further frustration as I'm on a time frame to get this all sorted. They guy told me that if I hadn't heard back by Monday afternoon, to call back..... as my day went on, my stress levels grew and I made a makeshift cap which leaks a little and I went out and spent money on poles. I'm not holding my breath that I'll hear back.

If I knew then, what I know now. I wouldn't have touched their camper as I know that their customer service does not value customers. They get the sale, the money comes in and then they wipe their hands.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment

RIPPED OFF, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, POOR INFORMATION REGARDING SET UP

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2017

We bought our Voyager RF5 hard floor Off road camper in June 2015 for $16,000 (and it was on sale). We recently tried to sell our camper which is practically still very new because we wanted to upgrade and came across a lot offers of under $10,000 as these buyers kept mentioning that you could buy our model camper for $10,000 brand new. I went on to MDC web site and found that where selling our model camper brand new for $10,000 - WOW what company can reduce the sale value by $6,000 in such a short time, our camper is only 1 and half years ol d, how ripped off did we feel. No wonder we found it hard to try and sell our camper even advertised at $11,000 and in great condition it would not sell due to being overpriced as we unfortunately found out the hard way. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, you will loose a lot of money, this is criminal that MDC can reduce the sell price by over $6,000 in such a short period, there is no resale value in this product due to there extreme under cutting of sale prices. Also they sold us an extended 5 year warranty for $1,500 which we found via email one week later the contract for the warranty was with an external insurance company and not MDC direct, the terms and conditions in the contract did not cover off road - GO FIGURE we bought an OFF ROAD camper and MDC sold us the extended warranty, MDC mislead us with this product as well. The insurance company require a yearly large check list to be completed at your own cost through a credited caravan dealer to keep the extended warranty valid, and as you can image not a cheap process,DO NOT PURCHASE extended warranties from MDC, they will mislead you and rip you off on this product as well. MDC are happy to take your money and the customer service fails when you need to address issues and complaints. We had a couple of warranty issues in the first two weeks of receiving our camper which was disappointing, we did not have the best experience in having these repaired in the manner you would expect with a new camper. Overall we enjoyed the concept of owing a off road hard floor camper however the experience has been soured by MDC campers. I rang and asked MDC to refund our extended warranty amount of $1,500 as they sold us a product that did not suit our OFF ROAD camper, you can image what happened to this request NOTHING - NO Resolution at all. Be very weary when considering buying a MDC camper do your home work do not learn the hard way as we did. It is not worth your money brand new, might as well throw cash out the window. 4WD action should STRONGLY reconsider promoting and advertising MDC campers, this is the only reason why we even considered the MDC campers due to their promoting of this product. Please learn from our tough lesson. I feel sick thinking about the amount of money we have lost with this product. If I can save one person the heart ache than I will be happy.
Also trying to get through to Campbellfield office during business hours is incredibly frustrating and no-one seems to answer the phone there. Your constantly having to leave message after message. I had no option but to choose one star as this is even way to much for our experience with MDC campers Melbourne

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Market Direct Campers Official

Hi, Very sorry you feel this way, MDC strives to ensure all our products are priced according to the specifications of those trailers. Your MDC 2015 Voyager, is a very well optioned trailer. I... read more »

Hi Andrew Thanks for your response. I can guarantee you that when we paid for the extended warranty at the time of our purchase of the camper trailer we where not informed of the extended warra... read more »

1 of 9 pages

Ok, we were looking at an MDC Cruiser Slide camper in their showroom. I couldn't see a jack in the tools nor any jack points in case you need to change a wheel. Do they come with a jack or do you have to buy your own. Also, what type of jack would be needed to change a wheel?

Bruce asked on May 21, 2017

Answer this

make sure u get what u need as the after sales service well actually there is very little or none and the owner is not very helpful at all. We the found the product great that we bought was great after we had all the little bits ironed out that were wrong. Took a while but have got there now. Make sure all the wheel studs are tightened up as ours won't and 6 studs broke off at Hells Gate that is were we found that there was very little after sales services from the owner.
At the moment Bill is away so I hope this helps. The manager at Milperra was great and tried his hardeast to help us

Bills wife Jennifer

I could understand the studs breaking off if the wheel nuts were not tight! Wow, that is slack, and what a safety issue. The general message all over the internet seems to be the same as you said, i.e. that there is no after market service from MDC. Basically, their 5 year warranty would be useless. Seems that a few people have resorted to the Law to gain any traction from them. I went back and had a closer look. They seem to be solid enough but there has been very sloppy assembly. The electrical work looks sub-par and I noticed loose nuts everywhere (the bolts holding the box to the chassis were ALL loose or missing!) and various missing screws, rivets and shackles. The spare wheels also had different sized nuts to the road wheels which is mighty strange. On one trailer, some screws holding the tent bolt rope had pulled through and the track was all bent. The fridge compartment had a vent but no fan or separate inlet for air flow, so I think heat would build up in there on a hot day with the fridge running. All in all, a real pity as it looks like a pretty nice trailer. Many thanks for your reply Jennifer.

I would not buy mdc I bought a caravan and batwing annex 12 months ago I still cannot put my annex up because of missing parts. They don't answer my calls or emails I've now gone to fair trading. There just a bunch of grubs

Hi I'm.interested in xt17,hrt would u custom build 1 for a customer in a 19 ft version I like the 17hrt but I'd like few extras would that be possible? thanks

grant asked on May 12, 2017

Answer this

Your questions implies that I manufacture them, I don't. The MDC is made by the Chinese and imported into Australia. The people importing them are dis concerning and should you have any problems with your van- warranty, means little (my experience) - MDC give great lip service and are very slow and resist actually carrying out work should it be required.(Warranty work.) Whilst I think that the MDC van is o.k, there are lots of vans out there which are o.k. And I believe you can do better just go to a caravan and camping show and have a look what's around. Kimberley vans are good, somewhat expensive however good. Do some research on the net and you will be amazed.
I read a review on MDC and those who import them where the person took MDC to the Fair Trading people and obtained a full refund, he of course had to return the van however I got the feeling he did not mind returning it, that is there was obviously major issues. Keep in mind when you read reviews I've found that people being what people are tend to have something to adverse to say about just about anything.
Would I buy a MDC again- no mostly because of the attitude of the owners of MDC. Not only does the product need to be good so does the owners and their service.

I've just been to the 2017 Sydney Caravan Show at Rosehill. Had a good look at the XT 15. The salesman explained some things to me that I thought were very positive for a chinese product. The cosmetics of this van really appealed to my wife, I am more interested in its off road ability, as I drive thousands of K's on corrugations. The reviews about MDC and its products are far from flattering, and after reading these reviews I am changing my mind. Can anyone tell me why I should by this caravan ? Does anyone own a XT 17 or XT 22 that can give me some advise.? Thanks

Tony6022 asked on May 04, 2017

Answer this

Tony, jump onto Facebook and look up the Mdc owners page and ask to join. Heaps of xt owners that have taken them all over. Places like this are filled with the minority who have had issues rather then the silent majority which sometimes leads to a slanted view or perspective

Thanks Scott,will do. Do you own a MDC product ?

Tony I own an XT17. Mine is a pop top, you are most likely looking at the hard top. I've got the pop top because it had bunks and could be used by the family.
If you were to get one without faults, which is most unlikely I think that they have a lot to offer, however once you buy one you are very much on your own. The owners of MDC have a rather poor record when it comes to warranty issues. This problem seems to be creeping into the van industry, and MDC must surely be the leaders in this field of poor customer/warranty service. Whilst they tend to give very good lip service to matters, actually obtaining action is much more difficult.
Spoke to a chap in Alice Springs that bought a MDC van and had a problem and they advised him to take it to Perth - at least 1000 ks away. He purchased his from Adelaide which is now closed.
I had to take the owner to Fair Trading to recover the cost of repairs (labour). In all fairness to them they did provide the parts and explained that I should have been billed for the parts. Plus the owner contacted me via phone with a somewhat aggressive call threatening to beat me at the NCAT hearing.(Fair Trading)
My opinion is you can do much better. Some that come to mind are Bush Tracker, Kimberly & Optimum,. Have 2 friend that bought a Trakka and swears by them . Of course a lot will depend on your budget.
My MDC I believe now is fine, however it did take quite a bit to sort out - do you want the hassle.
Check out the reviews. Keep in mind most people don't print good reviews however MDC's good reviews are far out weighed by the poor ones.

See all 41 questions about Market Direct Campers