Filter By:

Insurance claim made

Great claims process, But still got shafted.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2017

So Jetstar screwed up our plans and we lost a nights accommodation and then due to weather delays, Lost out on accommodation at one of our destinations.
Spoke to SCTI and they told me how to do the claims process. We were in total owed $300. Thanks to what the clown on the phone said, We only get back just under $100 of that $300 because of their "excess" x 2. Instead of telling me to do one claim, They made me do two thinking I'd only have to pay a single charge of $100 excess.

Not happy. Not even worth me scanning, filling out and posting it all registered mail!

Lost ring

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 20, 2017

Recently whilst on a cruise I lost a ring of sentimental value as well as money value the understanding help and professional way Southern. cross handeled my claim I have nothing but praise and recommendation for them if you are travelling I suggest they are the only firm to use Ken McAuley

Insurance claim made

Thank you so much for your assistance! Excellent service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2017

I got really sick overseas and having SCTI was the best decision ever! They provided enormous support at a very difficult time and I am very appreciative of the service they provided! Highly recommend!

Highly DO NOT recommend

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2017

This insurance company is a joke.

1. They are happy to take your money but if something goes wrong they will NOT refund you. I emailed the details of the claim, they requested more information which I was in the process of obtaining by making a GP appointment and attending. The next day after I received the email for more information, I got an email stating my claim was denied.

2. Last year I accidentally paid twice for my cover when travelling overseas. They granted me a refund (during this conversation I CLEARLY requested that they refund a different card) as I no longer had the card that the payment was made with. The refund went to the old card, I lost the money and they would not take accountability.

Insurance claim made

Dreadful if you need to make a claim!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2017

Had a trip booked in Dec 2016 to the US. Took out my travel insurance with SCTI in March 2016, once I had booked all the flights. Had a slight accident in Oct 2016 and then ended up with a herniated disc. Phoned SCTI immediately and they advised that if surgery was required they would cancel the trip and refund any loss, otherwise I could pay an extra premium to have my back fully insured whilst overseas. As I was in excruciating pain I had to have the surgery, which I had late November. Still SCTI have not paid me out! They are still trying to prove that it was a pre-existing condition. I have mentioned that as I have private health insurance, had it have been a pre-existing condition I would have had surgery months before I was due to go to the US, rather than having to cancel our kids trip to Disneyworld, which we had saved for 2 years for! I have also given them x-ray reports from 4 years ago to prove that 4 years ago my spine was perfect, with no degeneration or anything! However this is not enough. I have also shown them that of the $22 000 we had spent on this trip it is only the last $7500 that was not refundable. We have now planned to do our US trip in April 2018 however I will never trust SCTI with my insurance again! I am just relieved that I had the operation here rather than trying to go to the US as I believe that they would have tried to get out of paying any bills in the US as well and that could have cost me thousands! I have found my case manager [name removed] to be very unpleasant, lacking empathy, intimidating and bordering on harrassing! I want people to know my story so that they can be very careful when choosing their travel insurance as it is a lot of money to lose when something unexpected happens. I thought I was in safe hands but clearly I wasn't.

melbourne

• 1 answer
Private message

Great service once again.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2017

Once again used SCTI (20th time i think) as my insurance provider. The ease of purchase and coverage of insurance policy was excellent.
One should always consider this company when travelling either overseas or nationally.

Easy Claim

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 16, 2017

My IPhone was stolen overseas and I thought there'd be an issue with my claim as I was unable to obtain a police report within the time frame, however my claim was successful. SCTI was very supportive and caring throughout the process. I will definitely use them from now on for all my OS travel.

Comments
Southern Cross Travel Insurance Official

Thanks for your review Janelle and sorry to hear about your phone being stolen while overseas. Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

Horrible!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 15, 2017

I was reassured not once, not twice but three times by operators that I would be covered, even prior to submitting my claim - however then was pretty much told because of the age of my grandmother it was easily anticipated & highly expected that she would be hospitalized within a few days of me purchasing my insurance
With our 99 year old grandmother she was sick one week, the next very jolly, but the fact remained that she was 99 and we just never knew how things would plan out, for years doctors had told us 'you have a few days to live' but
a year later she was fine.
So when SCTI told us it was 'expected' or 'easily anticipated' because we couldn't provide evidence that she was good/bad often I was disgusted
Did they expect us to go to every doctor she had seen the last 5 years for proof that this lady really did outlive so many doctors 'predictions' and was it bad for us to actually think that this time being 99 we might actually lose her, but at the same time NOT want to cancel a trip we had already invested so much money in
Had i had known SCTI were heartless I would have never even bothered!
Disgusting

Comments
Southern Cross Travel Insurance Official

Hi Cheye. I am very sorry to hear that your grandmother has not been well. I have spoken to our Claims Team and I understand that you are already in the process of appealing the decision. A member ... read more »

Melbourne

Good quality travel insurance

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 14, 2017

Fortunately we did not have any pvroblems on our 5 week overseas trip with bicycles. Therefore didn't need to claim . I found Southern Cross easy to communicate with and fair in the price especially covering 2 bikes.

Comments
Southern Cross Travel Insurance Official

Hi Kathryn. I hope you had a fantastic time on your cycling trip. I'm glad everything went smoothly and you didn't have any reason to make a claim. However, you can count on us to be there when thi... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 13, 2017

I found SCTI excellent value for money and it is so easy to set up a policy when traveling. It gives me confidence knowing they're there for me if I ever need it. Keep up the good work.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Southern Cross Travel Insurance Official

Hi LOU. Thank you for your feedback on our simple and cost effective policy. I hope we've helped put some extra spending money back in your pocket! I'm pleased your trip went without a hitch and yo... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Excellent insurance provider

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2017

I've used SCTI for many years for their ease of use & great rates. Although I've been lucky enough not to claim, I know others who have (they couldn't travel after their dog was bitten by a snake) & their claim was paid, much to my amazement. I recommend SCTI to all my family & friends whenever they travel & they've taken my advice & insured with SCTI.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Southern Cross Travel Insurance Official

Thanks for posting a review about us Roseanne. It's great to hear that you use us each time you travel and that recommend us! Thank you. Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 6 helpful votes

Great Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2017

Have used this company twice, first time no claim whilst on the second occasion my daughter took sick in Thailand requiring a visit to the medical clinic. The claim was processed with a minimum of fuss and staff were pleasant to deal with. I highly recommend this insurance provider.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Southern Cross Travel Insurance Official

Hi Simmo. Sorry to hear your daughter was sick while travelling in Thailand, I hope she made a quick recovery! Thanks for posting your review. Kind regards, Katrina.

1 of 152 pages

Hi. I am travelling with a friend to Cuba in April. We will be staying in Mexico ( Playa del Carmen ) and Los Angeles. I have a few questions. 1) I understand we ARE covered for this area in Mexico ? ( no travel warnings ) 2) It seems tourists HAVE to go to a private hospital in Cuba. Is this covered ? 3) What about private hospitals in America ? Thank you Brigitte

Brigitte asked on Jan 21, 2017

Hello, My family and I (wife and 3 children) are based in HK with Australian nationality. We are currently back in Australian to visit family and will be travelling within Australia. Which policy would be suit us best? Regards, Patrick

Pat Chaplin asked on Jan 21, 2017

me and my girlfriend we are moving to New Zealand with a working holiday visa, we are italians, I would like to know if SCTI is a good choice for us, the New Zealand immigration dept is asking for a medical insurance cover for the lenght of our staying , would this travel insurance be a good solution for us?

joe asked on Jan 20, 2017

Answer this

Hi Joe, thanks for your question.

Our TravelCare policy unfortunately doesn't cover you when working overseas, (unless it is for a business meeting or office based work only). However, our New Zealand company offers a policy called 'Visiting New Zealand', which is designed for travellers visiting New Zealand to work.

As this is not a product sold by our Australian business, I'm not able to provide you with full details here, however, I have included the link to the website so you can view more details if you wish: https://www.scti.co.nz/our-products/visiting-new-zealand/insurance-cover/, or please feel free to contact SCTI in New Zealand at info@scti.co.nz for further information.

Kind regards, Katrina. Communications Manager.

See above

Thanks for your kind reply

See all 344 questions about Southern Cross Travel Insurance