Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Great product

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2017

Got mine about the 6 years ago under a government incentive program in SA. They can be a little noisy due to fan running but isnt too bad, they will run longer in cold weather.....i have a smart meter which allows me to boost during the day when ambient temps are higher. Have not had a problem with support from company as i rang them because i had concern with pressure relif valve opening a little, they sent a new valve which i havent replaced yet as i havent got around to it. Not an issue really. Temps do get down to minus 2 where i live during winter.....my brother has one as well and we are both happy. Overall a very good system.

Verified Purchase Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Dec 2012

Poor product, poor service, major disappointment with a German product.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2017

Failed after 4 years and 5 months use. We live close to the Pacific Ocean. I don’t know if this is a factor, though the product was corroding. Their sub-contractor visited us (after we had to “chase him up" as he hadn’t returned our calls) but his attitude led me to ask him to leave before he had diagnosed the cause of failure.
He was abrupt at the door. He complained that this was not an emergency (I told him I never said it was).
I called SE to enquire about how to check the sacrifical anode (while the machine was open - what better ti
me?, not to mention it may be relevant), because 1. the repair-man said it was not his job and 2. the manual has a boxed-warning: “ Triangle! PLEASE NOTE: “The sacrifial anode must be checked by a qualified contractor 12 months after the unit has been installed and checked periodically thereafter as advised by the qualified contractor. Failure to do so may void your warranty.”- page 4 of "Operation & Installation”. However, the SE phone consultant told me the sacrifical anode would absolutely not be the cause of the fault and point-blank refused to instruct the serviceman how to check it, despite my mentioning the manual’s warning. He asked me to call him back once the fault was found. But the serviceman complained that “you got on the blower ... before I had even looked at it”. I don’t know if it was because he was tired (he stated he was the only one capable of looking at it for a 50 km radius in Sydney), or because he was unwell (he said he had the flu) or because of communication issues, but he just completely misconstrued the purpose of my call. Having damaged my wall adjacent to the machine removing the lid (and distorting the cylinder) (and then saying its OK because it was hidden), I asked the serviceman to leave. Of course he was upset and gave me wishes of good-luck finding someone to fix it now as there was only him. I spoke then to the SE office phone consultant - his solution was to call the serviceman and apologise (!, needless to say) - “He’s the only one in Sydney who can fix it”.
That was my last contact with Stiebel Eltron’s Sydney Office. I was flabbergasted that a German Company can have such non-competent staff. Of course we are not in Germany, so any German quality product is only as good as its weakest link - the Australian final mile. I was contemplating calling the German Office, or the CEO and having my wife, who is from Bavaria and a Scientist, speak to him (or her).
But my wife, within 2 hours, had another technician at our home. The unit had corroded and was unsalvageable.
So!...sacrificial anode being the issue or not - we never found out - my wife and I decided to completely forget Stiebel and their Australian Operation, and purchase a new unit from a different company - a Japanese one - a Sanden Eco. Time will tell of course, but unlike the Stiebel, this is as silent as can be, has a stainless-steel non-rust tank, comes with a much longer warranty, and has no sacrificial anode to check. Only maintenance it needs is letting off the built-up gas pressure every few months.
We don’t care about the money in this case - that’s how bad Stiebel’s Australian Operations is. We want nothing more to do with them. I’m tempted now to give them just one star, but I think the actual product is not really that bad as until the end, apart from some noise, we were quite happy with it. But it didn’t end well.

• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: May 2012

Expensive, noisy, does not provide value for purchase price.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 20, 2017

My heat pump died in October 2015 after 3 years 5 months of annoyingly noisy service. It was out of warranty of course but the real killer is that there was no service available to repair it - even the fellow recommended by Stiebel Eltron refused to work on it. I decided to write this review because I heard someone talking up heat pumps elsewhere. This is the issue though: They are expensive to buy and have a limited lifespan, and though they do reduce your power bills, they don't reduce them enough to justify their purchase price when you take into consideration that they break down, and that repairs are either costly or, in my case, impossible to obtain. These things ought to be under a 10 year warranty throughout, or not sold at all. Avoid. p.s. I second other people's comments that these units are disturbingly noisy. I was told it would sound "like a refrigerator". It sounds like about ten refrigerators.

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Jan 2012

Great customer service!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2017

I wrote the previous review 'Not Happy Jan' but now must retract some of my sentiment as the supplier in Melbourne backed up the warranty even though it was a month out and has just replaced the unit. The tradesman who turned up was polite, informative, skilled and helpful. I couldn't be more happy. The heat pump is producing steaming hot water, the unit is quieter and its no more cold showers for me! Thankyou!

Purchased at: Enter

• 12 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Nov 2013

Purchased 2 units and both work just fine.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 19, 2016

One unit has been in operation for one year, the other for 3 years. I have them indoors (laundry and garage) where you can hardly hear them but where they are protected from the elements. They are on a timer to come on when we are usually out. The water is always hot and it uses very little electricity (about 50 cents a day). They have never missed a beat. One replaced a useless Solar HWS which cost over $4000 and never worked. After that company went belly up I switched to Stiebel Eltron and so far I'm very pleased with their product.

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Jul 2010

Stiebel WWK300AH - a lemon

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2016

I had my Stiebel WWK300AH about 6 years. After 1 year, the valves leaked and was replaced at no cost. Then 2 years later the thermostats failed to switch off when the water hot. The electricity bill costed me $200 for the quarter. It was then fixed with the cost of $264 even though the thermostats were provided free by Stiebel. Then when it just past the warranty period of 5 years by one month, the outlet get rotten and leak. It costed me $400 to temporary fix and Stiebel refused to pay for that or a replacement. Very disappointed with t he so called "German Engineering". We paid a hefty premium for the well-known "German Engineering". I don't believe it was made by German. Very disappointed with the treatment by Stiebel when it past the warranty by merely a month or so.
Now, when it starts heating, it makes sound like 2 stroke engine for about 10/15 minutes. I just wait for it to die so to buy different brand. That day is not far away from now.

Coffs Harbour

• 1 helpful vote

SYDNEY

Model: WWK300A Date Purchased: Aug 2009

WHAT AN EXPENSIVE MISTAKE

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2016

In August 2009 I purchased a new STIEBEL ELTRON WWK300A in line with the then misguided NSW Govt emphasis on Energy Conservation. The installed unit cost $4,420 all up. We recieved a Rebate from the Govt of $1,050 so the initial cost was $3370. 2 years later we had to shell out another $445.50 to have the fan replaced. Over the last 6 months to date the Hot Water has been getting cooler and cooler until finally it went stone cold. As suspected when the Technician came out = "You have a Gas Leak!!" and it will be another $900 to fix this as wel l as the compressor is on the way out and that will be another $500. I decided that the best place for this 7 year old heap of crap would be the tip and had a new RHEEM HWS installed and running in 1/2 day.
My advice is if you think you are doing the environment a favour by shelling out huge bucks for a STIEBEL then think again !! It will cost you dearly and will only last 7 years.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes

5 years of hassles

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2016

At least once a year we have to call a technician in to sort out our 2 x heat pumps. Unacceptable!!! We now once again have no hot water and we have 2 huge heat pumps. Ultra rubbish. I would like someone from Stiebel Eltron to come and fix or remove these heat pumps.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Dear Minky, We are very sorry for the hassles. We would like to help you as soon as possible. Therefore, could you please send your contact details to feedback@stiebel.com.au so that our service de... read more »

Cairns

7 Year Failure

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2016

It appears that 7 Years is the limit of these units.
Same problem in most of post's i have read, the Technician Stiebel Eltron advised me to use told me that it had a Gas Leak and was irreparable due to Incorrect installation and Suggested Replacing the unit.
This advise cost me a Total of $467.50.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Faulty after 6 months now failed again

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2016

Unit failed after 6 months and now has failed again after 7 years .For this expensive item this is inexcusable ,I presume no warranty now applies. The Technician has said the gas has all leaked out and now I am without hot water in a family of four, who do I contact.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Dear Gonzo, we are very sorry for the inconvenience. Can you please contact our service technician Trent on 1800 153 135 or send a message to feedback@stiebel.com.au including your contact details ... read more »

Technician said the rain had got to the aluminium coil around the cylinder and corroded it. Later models have closed up this path around the insulation, but mine is in the dump.

Wellington

• 7 comments

Frequent failures a disappointment

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 11, 2016

The product heats water as promised. But fails often... and I mean OFTEN.

We've had it less than 6 years, and we're on our 5th failure. Total time without hot water is close to 3 months.

Service... fair credit: OK they've been good... great in fact. But in truth, nobody wants good service. They want a reliable unit that didn't require good service. We paid a very hefty premium for what we thought was the reliability of "German engineered" cylinder, and we very definitely did not get that. It's made in China folks. I *know* China is c
apable of producing high quality goods, but improved quality clearly wasn't the reason Stiebel shifted there... they were following the other path.

The helpful service keeps me going. But one day, it will have failed for the last time. The (new) local agent has assured me newer units were redesigned to be better. That doesn't help tonight. And without genuine firm evidence... the replacement cylinder won't be a Stiebel.

EcoSpring has a good name here... established, with units older than mine working without complaint. Clever people learn from history.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Stiebel Eltron Official

Dear mike.of.NZ, I have talked to our Managing Director in NZ who has been in contact with you. We are very sorry to hear about the inconvenience you are experiencing with our hot water heat pump. ... read more »

Your immediate and direct involvement is encouraging. We will see how it all works out. The thermostat send down by Stiebel NZ got the compressor running again... but there is still no hot water, ... read more »

Final result: the cylinder is dead, after less than 6 years. Replacing the thermostat exposed the real problem: the refrigerant had all leaked out. The cost of repair is beyond contemplating. Se... read more »

1 of 7 pages

I have a stiebel eltron wwwk300A heat pump. I want to put it on an electrical timer to heat in the day, so it can draw most power when our solar panels are often producing electricity. How many hours should it need? We are in a cool climate (Blue Mountains). We are household of four, and the shower is probably in use for a total of 25-30 minutes per day.

Paddy Connor asked on Apr 27, 2017

WWK300A

We have a Stiebel Eltron hot water system ( 1 year old) close to our bedroom the fan is very noisy . How much noise is ok?

HEIKE asked on Feb 03, 2017

Answer this

I think you'll find that's normal. I small humming noise similar to a stand up fan

Hello Heike,
Could you please call the customer support on 1800 153 351 or send an email to feedback@stiebel.com.au? The team of Stiebel Eltron will be happy to assist!
Thank you.

If you can hear it through a closed window and it is more than a metre from the nearest opening then in my opinion it is TOO NOISY. I found the FAN on our disaster (HWS) was noisy from the start so I re-located it as far away as possible from sleeping quarters. However if the noise level is increasing (which ours did) Then you will be up for a new fan motor fairly soon(They only last about 2 years !!). Get onto them BEFORE your warranty period runs out or it will cost you dearly. BOB A.

WWK300AH

Hi I have WWK 300 A Heat pump system was working good until last week ( during hot weather) stopped! no hot water any more? If I can do something to get it run again? like reset bottom or any thing you can help me with?

Tim asked on Dec 03, 2015

Answer this

Hi Tim, We need to find out more information about your heat pump to help work out what could be happening. Can you please call our customer service number on 1800 153 351. Thanks.

See all 12 questions about Stiebel Eltron WWK300A / WWK300AH

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.