Filter By:

peace of mind

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2017

No claim had to be made this time fortunately, but my medical circumstances had changed drastically since my last trip and it wasnt a problem at all. Made very simple and easy for me.

Very disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

The destination we were travelling to was closed down as it had 17 powerlines blow down and multiple highways closed due to avalanch control on our USA trip. We found this out whilst driving our hire vehicle to the location so had to book alternative accommodation last minute. We were $3500 out of pocket, I even contacted the TID number whilst Overseas's and the person on the phone said we would be covered. When we got home and put our claim in have said they will not pay as they only cover for extreme weather if you are travelling by coach etc it does not mention anything about if you are driving a hire vehicle. We paid for the top cover and one would assume that they would be covered for extreme weather (that was out of our control).

Policy simple to understand!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2017

Policy is one of the best! Very easy and convenient to set up. Did not have to contact Customer Support as the documentation was easy to understand. Regular advertisement on Talking Lifestyle programme in Sydney's radio does help travellers to understand the importance of taking travel insurance.

Melbourne, VIC

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

We took out the insurance for overseas travel.

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 24, 2017

Policy was good value and easy to set up online. It is good that the TID insurance covers seniors 65 and over compared to many other companies. We have been taking out travel insurance for many of our overseas trips and happy with TID's service.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Insurance claim made

Do Not Buy Your Travel Insurance from TID!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2017

Do not ever buy your travel insurance from TID. I called them to make a claim for a trip cancellation in February because my dad died and they told me to contact the hotel and airline direct because they couldn't do anything or help me in anyway. They were inconsiderate and the worst travel insurance i have ever dealt with. I would not recommend anyone to TID because i truly would not want you to go through the same thing as me.

Travel Insurance don't travel without it

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 21, 2017

With so many travel experiences now available to the traveller travel insurance is a must have. If you can afford to travel you can afford insurance. Overseas destinations into Third World countries do not have great medical facilities and can leave you out of pocket by many Thousands of dollars. We always choose Travel Insurance Direct as they are very competitive, Australian owned, and we have the ability to pay our premium many months in advance. My wife and I always feel confident knowing that TID are there for us both. We have never had any issues with them over the years.

Comments
Travel Insurance Direct Official

Hi Stefan, Thanks for taking the time to write that insightful review, we appreciate it. Glad to hear you thinking like that, in fact Foreign Minister Julie Bishop herself came out recently ... read more »

First time using TID

3 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2017

The Policy I bought was okay and i was lucky not to make a claim. This was the first time I have used travel insurance and had no problem booking it.

Comments
Travel Insurance Direct Official

Hi Shane, Thanks for taking the time to share that feedback with us. I'm pleased to hear your trip went smoothly without the need to claim, just know if you do ever hit a bump in the road that ou... read more »

Insurance claim made

Disappointed - will never be using Travel Insurance Direct again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 19, 2017

Having always booked through TID when travelling, we were extremely disappointed in the way they handled our claim after a family member passed away suddenly. It was a long, hard and tedious process will little empathy and understanding from TID. We will never be using this travel insurance again, and we will not recommend to anyone.

Comments
Travel Insurance Direct Official

Hi Naomi, My sincere condolences, I’m sorry to hear of the passing of your family member. I’m also saddened to hear how disappointed you have been with your claims experience. Our Claims depar... read more »

Melbourne

• 1 comment
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Purchase Insurance claim made

Just avoid

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2017

Avoid TID - very good at selling you a policy, but won't pay on genuine real-life claim.

We had to rearrange our trip before it started - the flight was cancelled on the day by the airline, which would have made us miss our cruise. This is covered under the policy, so we paid for another flight and claimed. TID came back to us simply listing the sections of the policy where additional costs are allowed and "regrettably" we were denied as we were not under any of those.

When we pointed the specific section under cancellation costs which al
lows the re-arranging of the trip, then we have been served the generic policy exclusion about carrier cancellations.

To add insult to the injury, other people in our traveling party claimed via their credit card generic travel insurance and got their claim approved. For what it's worth, it is interesting that their policy definition of special event under which you claim additional costs was identical to TID's, apart one word at the end - "pre-paid tour", i.e. cruise - which TID dropped.

Later in the dispute process now, all this was regurgitated again. After comparing the policies with our friends, it is quite clear that TID policy is all about protecting them in case of travel disruptions - it has a blanket exclusion on carrier disruptions and special events definition is missing pre-paid or pre-arranged trips, including cruises, which other provider policy has.

So - don't bother. We felt the claim process was about finding the excuse not to pay, rather than assessing the claim on its merit.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Travel Insurance Direct Official

Hi Steve, Thanks for taking the time to share that frank feedback with us, I’m sorry to learn just how disappointed you have been with our service. Apologies also if your claims experience made ... read more »

It's not a question of cancellation cost, we have been reimbursed by airline for that. I'm talking about reasonable additional expense in order to rearrange & continue our trip. This was cleve... read more »

A happy repeat customer

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2017

This was my 5th trip using TID and as usual - the policy was superb. It made me feel safe and comfortable that if I needed to gain assistance it would be provided. And yes, my trip in October is also covered by TID and I am happy to recommend this organisation to any traveller.

Comments
Travel Insurance Direct Official

Hi Lainie, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with TID. I know how important having peace of mind when travelling is so I'm delighted to hear we were able to help you in that re... read more »

Insurance claim made

Wasn't aware of the excess til I had to claim

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2017

Went overseas with my 2 kids. They felt unwell so took them to the private hospital thinking I could claim. Came back and was about to proceed with the claim to realise that there is a $200 excess!! Both my bills just came abit under $200 so not worth claiming anymore
Last trip I couldn't remember who we went with but there was no excess when we claimed.
Will have to look else where next time

Comments
Travel Insurance Direct Official

Hi Ladda, Sorry to hear the kids felt unwell during your trip, hope they are on the mend. I'm also sorry to learn of your disappointment with the excess. It's for that reason we give you the o... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

perfect price

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 11, 2017

I had to get hold of travel insurance as I fell ill with food poisoning. . Their system was down but my friend managed to contact them through twitter. They were very assuring regarding the questions we needed answering. Even made call backs to see how I was doing. Very happy with them.

Comments
Travel Insurance Direct Official

Hi Siggy, Sorry to hear you were unwell with food poisoning, hope it didn't impact your holiday too badly. I'm however glad to hear how happy you were with our service and follow up calls. If ... read more »

1 of 141 pages

Do you have a travel insurance that covers cancellation of tour and airfare by supplier?

NO TRAFALGAR TOURS asked on Apr 30, 2017

Hi,
Our policies have coverage available for cancellation by the supplier provided the event causing the cancellation is not due to insolvency or financial collapse or the lack of numbers.
However if the lack of numbers needed to complete arrangements for a tour is the cause of the cancellation, there may be coverage available for the cancellation of prepaid travel arrangements purchased separately to reach the departure point for the tour.
If you have any more question on coverage please see our PDS here www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/pds or feel free to get in touch with us.
info@tid.com.au

We are travelling to Croatia soon, and will be renewing our annual multi trip insurance. Can you please confirm just what the extra hire car excess covers. If I pay for $6000 excess, is this the same as the no cover excess insurance offered by the hire car companies? I always find this very confusing, and end up taking out the 'no excess cover', which adds roughly the same amount again as the per day amount. An I double insuring? Thank you Helen

Helen asked on Apr 27, 2017

Hi Helen,
At the end of the day it’s up to you if you choose to take up their offer of a “no excess cover” but if you don’t and you become liable for one, you can claim that back through us.
Increasing your coverage to $6,000 may have a similar effect to taking out the “no excess cover” but ultimately these are two different products and you will need to read into the terms and conditions behind both to determine what is and isn’t included.
info@tid.com.au

Does TID cover pre-paid hotel bookings with on-line booking companies that have no arrangement with the hotel for which they advertised, took our payment, confirmed booking and were un-contactable from overseas to address this issue?

Sarge asked on Apr 27, 2017

Hi Sarge,
Unfortunately our policy excludes any omissions or errors in booking arrangements. You will need to contact your travel service provider directly upon your return home.
info@tid.com.au

This was niether an error or omission. It was a fraudulant activity by Wotif. They accepted a booking and clearly had no arrangement with this hotel. Yes I resolved this worh Wotif but would fell comfortable if TID was able yo resolve this issue if I had no response from Wotif. Does TID cover robbery!

See all 209 questions about TID Travel Insurance Direct