Model: 170L (648170) Date Purchased: Apr 2017

Vulcan freeloader 170 swap with old one no pipe work required. 1 hr job . total price $1700 dollars

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 19, 2017

Old model lasted 13 years without anode change out. Went with storage system again for extra heat up to 70 degC - continuous gas heaters cheeper to run but was told only good for 50 deg C . Not hot enough for washing greasy dishers. I hope this new model last as long as the old. As it cost twice as much i am hoping it will last twice as long. Bunbury Hot Water and Gas - bunbury WA

Perth WA

Model: 170L (648170) Date Purchased: Jan 1997

Twenty One Years Old and Still Going Strong!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 27, 2017

• 5 helpful votes

Model: 170L (648170) Date Purchased: Feb 2017

So far so great!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2017

Our Dux Sun Pro finally died.
Our plumber recommended the Vulcan. Had it for a few weeks and it's been excellent so far. it was a quick changeover for the plumber and the water has been beautifully hot and ever so reliable. Made by Rheem now but because it is badged as Vulcan at the Rheem factory it's s little less expensive.

Model: 135L (648135) Date Purchased: Jul 2014

Vulcan Tough? Not mine!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 01, 2017

The Vulcan website blurb states that Vulcan is "tough and built with the best".
Well, not the one I have!
After only 2 1/2 years the pilot light went out and would not re-light. Called the plumber who installed it and it was a failed thermocouple. Very poor quality to fail after such a short time - and of course warranty on parts is only 12 months. From other reviews this seems a common problem. Our old hot water service lasted over 12 years. I wouldn't buy Vulcan again.

• 1 helpful vote

Poor Vulcan Quality

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 08, 2016

I've had the product 2 years. Recently had the issue where the pilot light would not stay alight. Had to call Vulcan maintenance who installed a new thermocouple.
Website proudly displays "5 year warranty" but surprise....this only covers the cylinder.
Repair cost me $170. This is poor after just 2 years of use.
The maintenance guy said this was "very unusual" but reviews on this website indicate otherwise.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 7 helpful votes

Vulcan vs Vulcan Rheem

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 28, 2015

Our 2000 Vulcan 135 Freeloader has worked brilliantly. Now showing signs we need to have it replaced. Suggested to us were Rheem Stellar and Rheem Aquamax but I was unimpressed with reviews. Thought I should stick with what has worked well for us, namely Vulcan. Discovered that Vulcan has been bought out by Rheem. Interestingly, the reviews of Vulcan Freeloader have been excellent (as is my experience too), but only for people who have had them many, many years (as have I). I notice that the more recently-purchased reviews, presumably since having been bought out by Rheem, are not consistently positive. Could this be a coincidence?

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 helpful votes

Goodbye, farewell ...

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2015

After 20 grateful years, our Vulcan Freeloader 260 has finally given up the ghost. No pilot light that would or could be relit. The only issue a gas line one 2 years ago. I hope we have as much luck with the new one. Reviews sound rather debatable since Vulcan were bought out by Rheem...

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Newcastle

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes

Vulcan gas hot water failed after only 3 years

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2013

The pilot light won't stay on plus Rheen can't respond for 4 days to fix it and want to charge $132 just to attend. This is a quality issue with the pilot light on newer Vulcan systems. Also I wonder if anyone working at Rheem would like to go without hot water for 4 days (tell my 4 daughters)! Totally unacceptable!!!!

- Poor quality, pathetic service

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 9 helpful votes

All fixed!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2012

As an update to my previous review. Had the pilot light serviced and now it is no longer blowing out daily. Still going strong!!! I love it!!!

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 20 helpful votes

13 months installed and now broken out of warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2012

We have been in our brand new house for 13 months and now our Vulcan 135l water system is broken, I called the Vulcan Rheem service warranty line and spoke to a lady to find out I have to pay $132 just for them to come out! As it only has a 1 year warranty, Then I have to fork out for parts!!!!! I explained what the problem was (pilot light switching off every day) to the lady and asked what she might think is wrong with it, she was very unhelpful and just wanted to hang up, I work for a leading retail company and I will definitely NOT be recommending this product to anyone!!!!

- Bad warranty service, broken in 13 months

20 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Dont argue with phone people,they are trained to explain charges to you,allow a service tech to come out and if its a known problem they would have fixed it under warranty at 13mths. phone centre p... read more »

We used have the Vulcan gas hot water system working very well for 10 years as it was said by the warranty.After it broken down so we changed another same Vulcan but the quality of this one has pro... read more »

I just replaced my 125 litre electric vulcan hot water system today after 12 years of continuous service feeding at time upto 5 people. A company came over within 2 hours and installed it for $1,... read more »

• 7 answers
  • 24 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2012

It is now 16.5 yrs old and had a 10 yr warranty. Still going strong but looking to replace as it must be nearly time to retire.

+ It always worked and we never had a problem

- nothing to dislike

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 2 pages

My Vulcan Freeloader 3000 mains gas hot water system is running rusty red coloured water. The cold water is fine just the hot is red. the valve on the cold water in is running clear but the valve on the other side when lifted is running rusty red hot water. Dose it just need flushing or is there something more sinister going on?. I no longer have galv pipes, it is plastic from the meter to the house and copper to the tank.

Tommy_napier asked on Jun 08, 2017

135L (648135)

Vulcan freeloader gas hot water system, pilot light keeps going out. May stay on for a week or few days, very intermittent. Unit is only two years old! Any ideas?

asked on Jun 04, 2017

135L (648135)

My Vulcan 135lt gas mains pressure HWS shuts off the flame before the water is really hot. I suspect it needs a new thermostat. Can I replace it myself?

Geoff asked on May 20, 2017

Answer this

The 'Servicing' of storage HWS Thermostats etc. should only be done by Licensed Plumbers. It is not for the Home Hobbyist or D.I.Y handyman. There are rubber diapragms which may need replacing.

See all 18 questions about Vulcan Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details

The main difference between these models is water capacity