Filter By:
  • 4 helpful votes

Youi's unethical business model

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2017

I recently went through the process of moving 2 car insurance policies to Youi. Initially I was very impressed with significant premium reductions and discussed a contract. Then I found out that payment can only be made through DIRECT DEBIT with one email reminder. On further discussion with Youi I was advised direct debit is NOT NEGOTABLE. I decided not to continue with the contract. This is an unethical business practice and leads the numerous abuses experiences by customers tiring to leave their contracts.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

Glenn, thank you for taking the time to review us, I greatly appreciate the feedback & the opportunity to respond. Yes, it's true we only use Direct Debit to make premium payments. We appreciate th... read more »

Hi Glenn. Is there anything further I can do for you? Thanks, Cam,

• 8 helpful votes

Awful quote process.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 17, 2017

Youi's policy was not good value for my circumstances, the policy took 30 minutes over the phone to even get a price for the quote (compared to 5 or so minutes online with other providers) and I could barely get a word in with the customer support.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

We are a little different & ask a few more questions to tailor the policy to you. By doing this it could save you heaps, however it’s different for everyone & I’m sorry it didn’t work out. I’d like... read more »

• 1 review
  • 8 helpful votes
Private message

Worst Claim service and prompted me to change provider immediately

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2017

Worst customer service and claim management. Claims officers were argumentative, rude and unhelpful. They're polite and great only when they want your business. When I threatened to make a complaint, I was told to go ahead - nothing was going to happen anyway.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

This does sound concerning & not what we stand for at all Baz. Can you message me some info please & I’ll look into what happened? Cheers Josh

Youi Official

I haven’t heard back Baz, & I’m keen to find out more. Please Message me through your policy/claim number & I’ll take a look. Cheers

Gosnells

• 1 comment
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

Seems you guys leaked my personal number to others

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 09, 2017

Been looking around for car insurance, Youi is the ONLY one that ask my personal contact number so they can provide more service (All others only require me fill up sections online and saved the quote to email, without ask my phone number, only email will do) Gave them my number, got the text msg for PIN, log back online, then NOTHING! They don't give you a damn thing about you quote, they need to speak to you again! Received a phone call then ask me if i have 10 mins to provide my personal details again! Choose not to as I already feel uncomfortable. Anyhow, since that day (three days ago), I keep receiving phone calls from some telemarketer who trying to sell me insurance......Ridiculous......

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

It looks like our quoting system wasn’t quite your style Andy, sorry if it caught you off guard. We find many like the opportunity to ask questions & go through the “boring stuff” in a less formal ... read more »

Thanks for the response Ella, already did told them stop calling now and remove my number form their data base. Will see if still getting some more phone calls later on.

Youi Official

Not a worry at all Andy, let me know if you need me to get involved :)

• 10 helpful votes

Useless

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2017

Unfortunately never go with them again
Someone hit our fence and the police has all car information number however Youi still want to charge us the claim access!!!! Why? Because I did not provide them the Car Rego Number however I did provide them the police event number which is enough for them to get all required information from the police! Still want me to pay access
Was due to renew my policy I sent an email saying (please don't renew my policy again they direct debit my annual renewal charges)

Unbelievable!!!!

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

It doesn’t look like things are going especially smoothly here RH, I’m hoping to jump in & try to help. Depending on your state the police won’t always release details of the at fault party to us a... read more »

Youi Official

Hi RH I’ve not heard back from you just yet, still more than happy to take a look at the claim & see what can be done about the excess, is there a good time to get in touch with you?

Newcastle, NSW

• 3 comments
  • 5 answers
  • 15 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Okay until you try to cancel your account.....

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 08, 2017

Had accounts with these guys for a couple years. Never had an issue with them, or with the one claim that I made, until I tried to cancel my accounts.

I cancelled them (in writing - I have a legal background and prefer to keep everything in writing) and yet Youi still rolled both accounts over. They were due for renewal about 3 months apart, so I hadn't realised that they had rolled the first account over despite my cancellation request.

It wasn't until I called to query the 2nd account being rolled over (they tried to charge me, b
ut my account didn't have enough funds - thankfully - otherwise I may never have known my accounts were still active). I never even received an email advising me that my first account was renewed!

They now claim that I am not allowed a full refund for the first account, as I've "cancelled it too late"; and that they never received my cancellation emails - inputted through their own website! Which means that their website communications must be faulty, or they have staff who are not doing their jobs? Otherwise, one can only assume that the staff are trained to ignore cancellation emails such as mine and continue the process of rolling over those accounts unbeknownst to the customers? I do wonder what the Ombudsman would make of this.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

Hi & thanks for the feedback BackstageRebel, That sure didn’t go according to plan! I’d like to know more with the aim to help. We have some very strict systems in place to ensure we cancel when ... read more »

Toowoomba

• 4 answers

I hate buying insurance

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 05, 2017

I changed to youi about 12 months ago after Suncorp put my premiums up yet again, I am a mid 50's driver who has never had a claim in my life.I move around a bit and every time I moved Suncorp would bump me up $10 a month citeing a higher risk.
Now one of my pet hates is buying insurance of any sort, I Just wish that you could get all the sales people in one room, it is hard to believe that a basic product can have so many variations. Youi made it all fairly sImple to understand and came at exactly half of my suncorp premium.
I have not tested the Youi product and hope I never have to, they simply satisify my financiers requirement to have, and that is my car insured.

• 11 helpful votes

Insurance claim made

Foolish company

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 04, 2017

Didn't cover our boat after a storm and flood... blamed it on us !!! 50,000 down the drain!! they are liars and used every excuse in the book not to pay the claim!!

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

I’d like to find out more here Naamat, we’re in the business of paying claims & declining one isn’t a decision we take lightly. Are you able to send me through some details like a claim or policy n... read more »

Scarness

• 1 question

Sunshine Coast, QLD

• 1 question
  • 2 answers
  • 22 helpful votes

PHONEY Insurance Company

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 25, 2017

Youi is an advertising agency posing as an insurance company in my view.
Great TV adverts, crap insurance cover, completely crap roadside service and crap follow up from customer service.
I wouldn't go near Youi again if it were the last insurer on earth.
Avoid, beware, you've been warned!!

12 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

Go Girl, Apologies I missed your follow up question regarding roadside assistance. Yes roadside is Australia wide & we cover most rural areas. I know I’ve missed the boat, sorry for this. I’m more ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Who knows?

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2017

Youi are probably no worse than other players. Comprehensive on my 2013 Corolla is $429 this year, an increase of 5% which is reasonable. I do tick all the boxes being 69yrs old with no claims made ever and zero demerits.
Fingers crossed I will be treated right if ever a claim is made. I'm willing to stick with Youi in the absence of evidence based info to the contrary. Much is made of alleged charges in NZ but never any details.

April 26th, 2017 Update: Worrying

Thanks Girl + Sharks. I have looked at what happened in NZ plus other comme
nts and I'm certainly doubting my earlier opinion. I was not impressed that Youi had retained my card details and went ahead and billed me for another year without any OK from me. The fact that they sent an email 1 month before advising me is not the point. I didn't know it was legal to do this. Now I have a whole year to worry over how good my house and car policies really are.

Comments
Youi Official

We appreciate your support Godfrey, yes there were mistakes made in the past however we’ve made many changes to improve moving forward. Touch wood you won’t need to claim, but if you do rest assured you will be looked after. Cheers Josh

• 2 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 17 helpful votes
Private message

Youi - We get you - to give us a lot of information and then give you a ridiculously expensive quote

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 22, 2017

We bought a brand new car and did our homework looking for comprehensive insurance. I went online and got quotes from 3 of the big players before trying Youi. The cheapest of the other 3 was $1100 with excess free windscreen replacement, new for new replacement in the first 2 years for a write off, free hire car and the usual things for a comprehensive policy. I put the basic information in and then got the message that they will ring to finish the quote. 20 seconds later the phone rang and I was asked a lot of questions to tailer the quote to my situation. I gave them the same basic information as with the other quotes and a tonne of other information. I drive to work and drive less than 15,000km per year. The only difference with the Youi quote was they added 'free' roadside assistance. I was expecting a figure close to or below $1,000. I actually laughed at the guy from Youi when he told me my quote was $2455. When I told him the price from the other company he said that it was probably cheap for a reason and didn't cover what Youi covered. I was the NRMAs comprehensive plus cover which has everything that is in the Youi cover and more. Even factoring in NRMA roadside assistance, it is still less than half the cost of Youi. Youi, you don't get me!

14 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Youi Official

Hi Baz, congrats on the new car. Thanks for giving us a go & sadly this time we weren’t in the ball park. A premium is calculated in many ways including risk & this can be rated differently between... read more »

1 of 238 pages

All the positive reviews come from clients who have not yet done a claim, and there are lots of them. Couldn't find a positive review from somebody who had made a claim and was happy with the result. Do you give a discount for clients who are willing to write a good review right after they have joined?

vona asked on May 21, 2017

Answer this

Vona, you have worked Youi out without the need for me to comment much further.
Of approximately 1700 positive reviews since July 2016, I highly doubt many are true and written by an individual/s that took out insurance with Youi. In fact, there were some reviewers that were caught out and admitted being contractors (bloggers) writing various reviews for Youi.
Two fines in 2016 for deceptive conduct and dodgy sales tactics costing $420,000 and currently under investigation by ASIC should just about clarify it for you.
In other words, the regulators get Youi !

We do make it easy for our clients to leave feedback, but in no way do we pay them for reviews. Lucky for us we have many happy customers, however with that said there are some not so happy ones here as well, that we try to contact & learn from or fix. For a more reviews you can head to our Youi Wall (https://www.youi.com.au/wall) or check out our Facebook page. Cheers Josh

Youi's so called "Wall" is not audited by an organisation and should not be relied upon. Ethical reviews on a company website are usually audited by "Nielsen".
Go to Canstar.com.au which is the leading group that appraises finance and insurance companies.
You will see Youi is ranked 51 out of 53 car insurers.

how do I change details of my insurance?

Judi asked on May 07, 2017

Answer this

Hi Judi, there are couple of ways you are able to change your details. We can over the phone with you, or if easier you can update your details online through our Manage Policy link: https://secure.youi.com.au/Authentication/policyLogin.aspx
If you have not used before, click on 'I've forgotten my policy number' and prompts will display to set up a password to begin. I hope this helps.

Simples, call Compare The Market on 1800456981 and get a better deal elsewhere.

If I want to cancel my policy or if Youi wants to cancel my policy how should I do it & how does Youi cancel a policy? (ie by mail, phone or email). Regards Mark

16Johnson1970 asked on Apr 13, 2017

Answer this

Hi Mark, if you would like to cancel a policy all you need to do is give us a quick call & we’ll email out confirmation. For Youi to cancel a policy is a little different, we will only do this mid-term if monthly payments haven’t been received for approximately 3 months or the car is written off in an accident. In some circumstances we may not offer renewal & in this case we’ll let you know via email 2-4 weeks in advance. I can arrange for someone to call you if you like, just shoot your policy details through in a message & I’ll arrange it. Hope this helps! - Ella

After what my wife and I went through to cancel our 4 policies with Youi, you will be thinking you need a lawyer. Youi tried every trick known to man, non stop phone calls, harassment, cancelation fees, rubbishing other insurers and all the while, Youi is the only insurer to ever be fined twice within months for deceptive conduct, totalling $420,000. To top it off, Youi is being investigated by ASIC. Companies don't get investigated by ASIC unless there is a serious breach of conduct. I think that sais it all. Cheers

See all 87 questions about Youi Car Insurance