Arlec Grid Connect Smart Motion Sensor

4.0 from 1 review · View Statistics

1 review

AndrewCentral Queensland, QLD

This Sensor On It's Own Is Good, The Rest Of The System, Not So Much

Purchased in July 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$21.78.

Discojaffaasked

Can the motion sensor activate other Grid Connect devices?
Ie can I use the motion sensor to active other lights

Andrew

Yes, that is it's intention.

I have Grid Connect fluorescent tubes in my garage, as well as the Grid Connect motion sensor, and the Grid Connect hub. In the app, I have setup an IFFTT rule so that when motion is detected, the lights turn on. When no motion is detected for 10 minutes, the lights are turned off by a separate rule.

Just to be clear, all of these 3 devices are Grid Connect. The Grid Connect motion sensor cannot turn on Phillips Hue bulbs etc.

Discojaffa

Thanks mate , great to hear. Can I ask is the hub necessary? Can the motion sensor operate independent of the hub?

Andrew

Yes, the hub is the gateway between the sensors and the lights - it is absolutely required.

Bear in mind (as per my review) that the sensors connect to the hub via Bluetooth, then the hub connects to the lights via Wi-Fi. This means that you will need your hub in the same room as your sensors. If you want multiple sensors in multiple rooms, you would also need multiple hubs.

If the lights that you want to automate are anything but fluorescent tubes, I would absolutely try to convince you to use Phillips Hue instead. They are the gold standard in Smart Lighting.