BankWest MasterCard Debit

BankWest MasterCard Debit

The worst card ever

I wouldn't recommend getting this card otherwise you will get tempted to spend money Online from your Account so I would recommend getting an EFTPOS Card so you can't shop online.

Access Denied

Suddenly find in middle of the night that I can't use my money to pay for the tank fuel that I just bought because my debit Mastercard had been blocked. I could do nothing about this either as the help desk is active between 8am to 8pm
I find out later it was "due to high risk transaction/s" . . . and this "high risk" transaction was a $12.50 payment to an Australian Govt. approved domain name registrar, who I have used countless times before.
You may be thinking that the bank was just trying to protect my money, which is what my bank tried to tell me. As a Mastercard user I am already protected. The bank is just trying to minimise its own risk. Refunding unauthorised transactions is the risk that credit card companies and banks have agreed to take in return for the squillions they make from us using these cards. My bank has decided that this is not enough though, so take it upon themselves to make arbitrary card blocking decisions.
I guess having to placate a night shift servo attendant and clean up "your card was declined" emails from a domain registrar, two online book shops and PayPal is nothing really. What if I was picking up tonight's concert tickets at the venue, dinner and the taxi home? . . . or I was overseas . . .
I can use my own money on-line and, as long as I take reasonable care of the card, I am not liable for unauthorised use.
Make sure your bank can't just leave you vagrant at will.

Great account for your bills

I direct all my bills to this account alone.Why? Because of the $100 safety net if I dont have enough in the account and I'm overdrawn (up to $100 max though) they will honour it and not charge you interest on it. If I'm overdrawn for a lengthy period they will send a letter to inform you. This gives me some breathing room when money is tight. Plus don't worry about the $2000 deposit requirement monthly or fee charged bit. When I'm short that for 1 month they will send a letter first and let you know that next month has to meet the requirement, but they wont charge you the fee anyway. Great card in flexibility. L
No interest on the $100, will give you 1 month no fee for less than $2000, no transactions fees at all
Has a slightly higher exchange rate fee than ING

I think that a debit card should be offered by every bank and taken by those who have good cash flow and can control their spending. A credit card has never appealed but with this Mastercard debit card, I get the benefits of a card card in terms of purchasing options without the concern of having to pay off a credit card before incurring a high interest rate.
The ability to use the credit facility to purchase goods online and free EFTPOS transactions at stores but it debits the money from your savings account as opposed to you having to pay off a credit for the purchase. The best of both worlds really. It also allows you to make purchases overseas where ever Mastercard is accepted.
When I applied for the card, they ask what colour I would like. I chose a Blue one but Bankwest ignored it when gave me an Orange card.