Baumr-AG BPX-800

Baumr-AG BPX-800

3.0 from 1 review

1 star for me maybe 5 stars for you

So, this post hole digger wasn’t a success for me but I’m not sure it’s due to the quality of the machine – more to do with the quality of my soil. The ground I used it on is a layer of short grass with a bed of roots. Under that is very hard, very dry soil with lots of stones in it. Under that is sometimes clay and sometimes dirt without stones.
Good points.
The tool is pretty easy to assemble.
The worry with cheap, motorised tools is always that the motor will be a pig to start. Well, it isn’t. It’s a breeze, just like the Genforce generator I got – Genforce and BaumAgr seem to be related brands. Fill it with fuel. Prime the fuel line. Pull the cord – remember to switch it on – and off it goes.
This digger is light enough to carry around without any problems and the control is easy to use and easy to reach. The idle adjustment is good right out of the box.
Bad points.
If you want to use this with two people holding it – and I wouldn’t use the 30cm auger by myself again – the exhaust blows right into somebody’s face. Not nice! It may be adjustable, I haven’t looked because other problems arose.
I tried the 20cm auger first and managed, with effort, to get one hole drilled about 30cm deep. But, bear in mind what my ground is like. I tried another hole and suddenly the machine was jumping around and not digging at all. The bottom of the auger had bent so one blade was now at 90 degrees to the ground instead of 45. I straightened it out and it bent again the moment I tried to dig. No points for that.
Using the 10cm auger, I persisted for another 3 holes. Then I tried to stop the machine and it wouldn’t. It turned out that a bullet connector under a plastic covering had come apart. But by the time I found that, I’d already removed, and broken, the switch ‘cos that seemed the most likely place for the fault.
I’ve replaced the switch and will try the machine again, but things don’t look good for it.

So, the main thing is that for my ground, this thing just doesn’t really work and it bent the most useful size of auger. I don’t think this is a badly made or low quality post hole digger but if you’ve got hard ground with lots of stones, forget it. Maybe a post hole digger just won’t do the job for you.

UPDATE
Edisons replaced the bent auger at no charge even though I thought it may have been my fault it bent.