Gear box problems

Was my wife’s car we ended getting a new one out of it but not before ford blamed us for “driving like nanas “ and telling us it was our fault the dual clutch system kept breaking down to the point where I tried to pull out of an intersection and the car just stopped with my foot flat to the floor wouldn’t go at all . Nearly got t boned by a van . But eventually they gave us a new one . Sold it straight away though .

Purchased for $23,000.00.

Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort
Good

Transmission Issues and poor customer service

Purchased brand new in March 2015. Was a 2014 run out model, so limited on color choice. I could either pick black, or blue. I took the blue, as I’m not a fan of how hard keeping a black car clean is. At first the car was a dream to drive, however 6 months into ownership I started having the suddering and shakes when taking off from lights etc. Took the car back to Ford and told it needs to learn how I drive, and that I’m not driving it enough, as it was our second family car. Started driving it to work more often than getting the train, and it was worse in peak hour driving. Took it back again and told that’s how dual clutch transmissions more and they will do a software update. This fixed the car for another 6 months or so, however the problem came back, worse than ever. The car was now around 12 months old, and only had 9000ks on the clock. We started using the car a bit more on weekends, and it would often stall when in reverse and backing up into our driveway. My partner and I decided that we would get rid of it before it was 2 years old, thinking that we should get a good trade in price, considering it had low k’s on it and it was in brand new condition. Started looking around towards the end of 2016, and Ford would only offer $10,000 trade in, due to the “known issues with the transmission” as several reports had come out in mid to late 2016 of the issues with the transmission. Needless to say, the car was traded in on a new car, which wasn’t a Ford. Besides the issues with the transmission, the car was great to drive, had many features as standard, such as auto headlights, wipers, climate control, fog lights, reversing sensors and alloy wheels. If the transmission issues could have been resolved, I know we would have kept the car, but unfortunately there was no known fix, and I wanted a safe and reliable car.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

I was amazed with the total package

Well when my wife suggested I buy her a new economical car to run out to her work approximately 80klm each way, I started doing a little homework and thought I’d probably buy one of the most popular brands like my favourite 4x4 because you like feeling like king of the road however after accessing it I just found it hard to go past the Ford Focus and with 5 year warranty unlimited kilometres I thought how could you go wrong, the power of the 1.5L turbo engine has also shocked me, I can now see how they became car of the year and with the 5 star ancap safety rating its a winner, my wife still smiles each time she drives it and now it’s 6 months old and already got 18000klm and not a issue and I really don’t expect any issues to arise, and it was cheaper than similar same size cars on the market at the time well done Ford.

Engine Size1.5
Date PurchasedAug 2018

Worst car in Australia, terrible customer service.

Purchased new in 2012, car has had numerous mechanical issues and received very poor customer service from Ford. This includes but is not limited to;

1. Car acceleration completely cutting out while driving on a main road, this occurred several times and I feel very unsafe trying to get anywhere (was very lucky not to result in an accident),
2. Gear box issues resulting in poor acceleration (when it was working) and constant shuddering of the car when taking off.
3. Rubber lining coming off around the doors,
4. Engine light coming on, have taken it to a mechanic and they have been unable to find the exact cause,
5. Servicing issues - 3 weeks to get a booking to find out if any of my gear box issues can even be fixed.
6. Terrible boot design, the boot itself is OK but the width of the boot opening is considerably smaller than the width of the actual boot making it very difficult to get suitcases, or anything larger than groceries into it. Don't even think about trying to lie the back seats down to get anything through the space as there is not enough space to fit more than a very thin plank of wood.
7. Backseat and foot space is very small and cramped.

I have had numerous people tell me after driving this car is the worst they have ever driven and they are not comfortable driving it due to it's incredibly poor ability to change gears and constant shuddering.

You have been warned.

BadgeST
Engine Size1.8
Date PurchasedFeb 2012

Gear box constantly has issues

I drive my car nearly every day - to work and back, including weekends out and about in the city. It’s about 4 years old now, been serviced on time each time. Ford provided extended warranty and it is seriously needed. I contacted them about 2 years in when I heard this model has gear issues and felt that mine had the same issues I read about in the paper, however they said my particular one doesn’t have it. Ever since it’s been taken to them twice already for gear issues. Just last month it got 80,000 service and the mechanic told me to take it back to Ford as the gear box is stuffed and that’s why it makes a funny noise when driving like gear changing gets stuck or trouble changing over. I’m considering just selling it off and buying something else. Used to have a Ford Falcon with the same issue - it might be a Ford thing, so frustrating!
Considering the year of manufacture and price, I’d expect it to have a better quality screen inside and be a bit more modern but it’s still a pretty good car other than gear issues - that just put me off it unfortunately. Off the entire Ford range to be honest.

BadgeAmbiente
Engine Size1.8
Date PurchasedJan 2014

Love it!

Bought this car as second owner with 73,000km and i love it! it looks great drives great couldn't ask for anything more! Never had any issues at all, its great on fuel too! it would be amazing for a first car owner the fact the base model comes with sat nav and cameras is amazing (mines an ecoboost)

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Ford have really got this focus right

After experiencing the earlier Ford Focus trend auto 2.0 litre model LW 2013 that was plagued with transmission problems, I was reluctant to accept what was an extremely generous offer from Ford, to accept a new model LZ. After some research and being aware that the LZ has a new 1.5L turbo engine coupled with a new 6 speed torque converter gearbox together with an extensive test drive, I decided to accept Fords offer but to upgrade to the S model with the Tech pack. This little car is a gem. Great handling, responsive performance and to date, after 20000 klms, with the exception of a faulty electric boot opening switch, that was promptly replaced under warranty, it has performed above expectations. I believe the LW model has destroyed sales of this little beauty which is a tragedy as there are few if any comparative vehicles on the market that would be superior to this.

BadgeSport
Engine Size1.5L
Date PurchasedOct 2017

Absolutely disscusted!

I bought my Ford Focus from a dealer 3 years ago. Since the day I bought it there has been nothing but problems.
Shuttering, Loss of Power, Clutch Problems, Loss of power and clutch problems at once, Transmission problems, to much power and now 1.5 months after getting it serviced by Ford the steering rack has failed and apparently needs $5000 to fix it. This has become a joke, why recall cars in America but not Australia? I ford case worker names "Leah" said that in Australia we have different "standards and regulations". Oh does that mean to leave people in a ticking time bomb so they can be seriously injured or die! Just so you dont have to admit your problem?
When asked how does a steering rack go in a car that has always been serviced including the last service by FORD themselves, is only 6 years old and that has NEVER been in an accident? Caseworker "Helen" said she has "NO knowledge" of how the cars work or what a steering rack is. IS THIS A JOKE TO FORD?
Employ workers who KNOW how your cars work and the problems! Peoples lives are at risk every day not only for the people in the cars and who is driving them but for others on the road too!
Ford closed my case and refused to help in any way, in fact, they became very RUDE regarding this situation. This will be taken further because i have had enough with this horrible car that is NOT ROAD WORTHY. If anyone would like to contact me in regards to the same problems you can do so on my email amanie.hadaya@gmail.com.

Engine Size.
Date PurchasedSep 2015

Engine Light

I purchased a second hand 2005 Ford Focus for my wife as a learning purpose. I purchased it from a car yard dealer. It was in good condition although it was a 12 years old car. After I purchased, in the second week, transmission light was on and off. I spend a few hundred to fix it. A few months later, the engine light was on. I spend another few hundreds to fix that too. However, the car itself works well. Just the computer things got issues. Hopefully, just my bad luck to purchase such an issued car. I already get rid of it at a low price.

BadgeCL
Date PurchasedNov 2017

Electronic Power Steering Failure

Similar to others our 2011 Focus had intermittent power steering issues on start up which started in May this year. The local Ford dealer could not find a problem and denied it was a known issue when we took it to them to investigate. At the next service in September they advised they had installed a software update to specifically fix the problem. But it made it worse and 6 weeks later we had total failure.
The car was towed to the dealer at their instruction and it was diagnosed as a total failure needing a new steering rack at a cost of $5,500.
We made a claim to Ford under Australian Consumer Law, and after a week they agreed to pay 60% of the repair cost. We advised this was unsatisfactory and we would lodge a claim at VCAT. A week later they agreed to cover 100% of the cost of the repair.
My advice is know your rights under ACL and stick to the facts, not emotions.
*We would not have purchased the car if we had have known this was a potential issue.
*The power steering unit is not a serviceable part and nothing we could do under normal driving could damage the part.
*We reasonably expect that the steering unit will last the life of the car.
*This is a major component failure.
*The vehicle is unsafe to drive.
This has not been a factory recall in the USA as some people state, that is a different car.

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedAug 2011

Not bad as a first car

The car has good economy. It does about 100 km per 7 liters.
The infotainment system is slightly below average.
The space at the back seats is not a lot but its still manageable. Boot space is good.

It does have some sounds of it's own that no mechanic has been able to fix. For e.g. there's contact screeching sound when I accelerate too quickly.
Overall its a good car though.

BadgeAmbiente
Date PurchasedMay 2018

Could spend same money on better car (over priced) too much redundant tech.

Use this car all the time and the best thing about it is it's economical. Dash display is significantly behind the times and the car is overpriced when considering bang for buck. not much space at all and the middle console impedes leg space in the front for passenger and driver.

BadgeTitanium
Date PurchasedOct 2014

Power assist malfunction!!!!!

Hi everyone.need help power steering asist malfunction 2011 Ford Focus Trend 5dr Hatchback 2.0turbo Semi-Auto light on been told by ford 4500 to repair is this a joke!!!!!I hav done some research and it is a common fault as I can see with everyone elses complaints purchased off a Holden dealer 18months ago it's done 82000 which is not much any help would be greatly appreciated never again ford!!!!!!

Date PurchasedJan 2017

I love it

It has been with me for two and a half years, 22000+kms, still so new and has never been any problems.
Fuel consumption typically between 6.0 to 7.5 litres / 100 km.
I don't know much about cars, but this car feels good to me.
Appearance is very beautiful, I love it.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedMay 2016

Worst car in history - death trap

The problems with my vehicle, which are common to all similar Ford's are as follows:

Fuel tank cracked open causing huge fires
Brakes about to fail
Water leaking into car so mould all over car
Boiling water and steam spewing all over drivers feet
Transmission issues which are not resolving as they were required to by the ACCC

The worst problem relates to the fuel tank that cracked open like an egg in May, causing a massive fire when the fuel ignited. Ford have refused to deal with the problem and I have been without a car since May which caused the cancellation (postponement) of my wedding.

Attempts to resolve the problems have proved fruitless. See my facebook page to see photos related to fie and other problems. https://www.facebook.com/RoyalCommissionDodgyCarManufacturers/

Date PurchasedDec 2016

2017 LZ Focus Trend

I purchased my LZ focus about a month ago so far very impressed with the driving quality the focus offers and all the gadgets that come with the newly updated sync 3 system with bulit in navigation as standard I bought it as a demo with 1,500kms on the clock and I drove it over to Melbourne from adelaide within 2 days of owning it and it offered an amazing average usage of 5.2L per 100km of petrol and the trip was $160 round trip with detours I was very impressed with the fuel economy.

Knowing the focus has gone to a 6speed torque converter automatic transmission is way better then that troublesome dual clutch system they were running which now has been scrapped.

The torque converter system works the way you'd like any automatic transmission to run with smooth gear changes.

If you like a powerful, economical and great looking car with plenty to offer I'd recommend the LZ focus which comes with fords 5 year unlimited km warranty for that peace of mind very pleased with my purchase and looking to the years to come.

Engine Size1.5L Ecoboost
Date PurchasedAug 2017

One thing after an other

Last 2 years in and out of my mechanic, first my
A/c compressor died $1250, then the cooling water was leaking on my feet while driving $1840, now leaking different part $520 and window blades motor broken (waiting for a quote)...cruise control is out quoted $375...no ford never again! Im very disappointed as I trusted the brand and it did not even cross my mind that I can end up with a car that cost me tousands over the years...I had a 16 year old car before and never had a problem with that it was just due to update...wrong decision very wrong choice!!!

Date PurchasedJul 2012

A better drivers car!

Ford have finally packaged a Focus with world class driving dynamics, engine, transmission, suspension tuning plus the high levels of safety tech have ensured the LZ series delivers at almost every level. The early ownership experience has so far been above expectations, the area I would mark down this Focus on would be the fuel consumption around town, hopefully this will be offset by the claimed highway consumption. The Sync3 connectivity appears to be one of best around, once I master it. In summary, as I have been driving for over 50 years I must say I am glad they don't make cars like they did in the 1960's, FoMoCo should learn a lesson from this model, get it right the first time, the LW product issues almost stopped me from buying this car, until I drove the LZ.

BadgeTitanium
Engine Size1.5 Ecoboost
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Gear box now the power steering

I bought my Ford Focus 2011 in January 2012 as a demo model...since then have had the transmission changed x 2...after being treated by the dealer as an idiot for 6 months each time I had to resort to begging for them to believe me and now find the power steering is gone...quoted $4300 to fix...the cars not even worth that much...Ford never again...what a lemon.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Ford Focus RS... just awesome

After enjoying four great years with the Subaru BRZ, it was time to look for a car with a bit more space, perhaps more performance, didn’t compromise on handling... and, of course, manual. Sad to let the BRZ go but the Ford Focus RS is simply awesome.

What a great car! The Focus RS strikes the balance of fun and practicality. The term hot hatch doesn’t so it justice. This is an athlete which growls and pops as you go (note the engine can be a bit “hungry”)... and you can fit two baby seats and a pram behind those Recaros!

First Ford and the solid feel was a nice surprise. Smooth and quality gear shift is such a pleasure you don’t notice that it might be slightly long for a sports car.

Some people have complained about the ride. It is true that it is firm and too “jiggly”. However, it is a sport car and no worse than a BRZ or 86.

It would be nice if the Recaro seats had a height adjustment and the rear view camera had a higher resolution but these are minor comments. A couple of issues picked up following delivery but Ford Service fixed them and provided a complimentary car whilst in the shop.

I also like the fact the Focus RS is such great value and delivers performance comparable to a AMG A43 or BMW M2.

BadgeRS