Wonderful car, purchased in Ulladulla NSW and have had it serviced regularly at Alan May Holden Ulla

Our Barina auto is and has been fantastic serviced as required by Alan May Holden Ulladulla whom are lovely people also very helpful to my wife and I can’t say enough about them and the Barina is very fuel frugal 6 litres per 100 ks easy to drive and comfortable on long trips what more could you want other than a bonnet badge a Mercedes couldn’t perform better.

BadgeX
Date PurchasedJan 2016

No Issues

I purchased A Holden Barina TK MY11.
I use this daily to get to work 15kms each way.
Car runs smooth and reliable.
I did a trip from Canberra to Melbourne to Adelaide and back. So roughly 2400kms.
Before I left I had it serviced and it drove absolutely fantastically.
This car has no guts - so not particularly zippy.
But would recommend highly as a first car.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Reliable car no problems at all

We bought this 3 doors Barina 4 years ago second hand (it s from 2005 so it s now almost 14 years old) and we have never never had any trouble with it. It was probably well looked after before we bought it and we did the same since then. Great car and consumption extremely cheap. Absolutely worth it !

BadgeCDX
Engine Size1.4L Petrol
Date PurchasedJan 2014

Tough Cookie

Bought car for a Family of 4 as a rain ,learners,grocery getter, everyone gets to have a go at the Barina everyone loves its reliability & frugal fuel use, zippy in traffic and holds its own on the freeway & country roads ,it has the suspension of an asian taxi & the handling of a sports car ,for service it has dealerships everywhere in our town ,

BadgeCDX
Date PurchasedSep 2018

Holden Berina CD

This is the worst car I have ever bought. I had a Hyundai for 17 years and it still ran well when i gave it up for the Berina. After 9 months i needed a new gear box, then my reverse lights only worked in neutral which caused me to reverse into a black car in a dark street. Then it was over reving needed this back into the dealership. Then i got a letter requiring a new ignition due to faulty made. But this hasnt stopped the car starting on its own. Now i have faulty air bags. This is inbetween a dealership that deliberately damaged my coolant tank when it went in for a service. It went in perfect and came out over heating. They wanted to charge me $65 for a light globe, twice the price for a coolant tank and new wind screen wipers, all in one service. and then the brakes went too and they wanted to charge me $750 for just the brakes. That was just the front brakes. I got them done elsewhere for $450. I got my globe chucked in for free and as i had to have the coolant tank replaced i got that at cost. How the dealership could rort and the car be such a piece of rubbish and they have got away with this not just to me but to all they serve. But they kindly called me to see if i wanted to upgrade my vehicle. When the gear box went i had taken it in for the service on Friday and told them there was something wrong with the gear box. I picked the car up in the afternoon, they said they checked it and it was fine. On the way to the doctor in the morning the gear box broke down. Here i was driving it mile away back to the dealership and told there wasnt anyone to look at it for at least a week. They didnt check it in the first place. Today ive had to replace the engine mount and coils. Yep you are reading right a NEW ENGINE MOUNT AND COILS, hopefully in the next week i will get the faulty air bags done too. Holden know what they can do with their cars. Never ever will i resort to such a piece of garbage again. Sad thing is its registered as a disabled vehicle. This review has exhausted me.

Date PurchasedDec 2012

Terrible - only good for 1 or 2 years

I bought the 2014 Holden Barina CD Hatchback - I've only done 77,000kms on it. It was a great car at the start as I just got my license and the size of the barina was perfect for me. I didn't drive much when I first bought it as I caught public transport to work. It wasn't up until this year where I started driving it more that problems started arising. I've had to get my suspensions, coils and spark plugs replaced in the span of two months. My battery also needed a full replacement (unsure if 4 years is a good lifespan for car batteries). I service the car when it's required and when my coil and spark plug went, my mechanic said that this happens to Holden's a lot and he said to expect it to happen again. Long story short, I've spent quite a lot of money on it this year. I would not recommend buying this car if you drive a fair distance to and from work.

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Terrible car

This car is terrible. Do not buy it. Holden had also the worst service you will get. When things go bad they do not give you a replacement cars. They refuse to care and help you. I had my car in their care for 3 months. They were unable to fix the problem and tell me when I would get my car back. The clutch is awful, the car runs badly and before you know it. You need to get rid of the car.
Think before you buy Holden. Holden also has the highest recalls out of all cars.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Emotion vs reality BarinaÇD TM series 2013

I am not a Holden fan, nor a Ford either. Too much fact and reality has for decades made statisical thumbs down due to poor performance, breakdowns and rubbish service levels.

So i bought my first Holden, a modern looking small 4 door hatch auto much to the grtted teeth of car experts i spoke with.

And so far its been, well, great. Styling is pleasant and very up to date. It is easy to drive, light accurage steering, upright attentive seating, comfortable runabout and holds okay on 100km highways. My 16yr old girl is finding it easy as a first L plate drive, and socailly acceptable enough to not hide from her friends in it. That is a BIG statement. It has the essentials... acceptable suspension, lights, brakes etc.. but to a 16yr old that translates to mean that is has bluetooth, usb port, loud speakers and cruise control. It does have all these. If you - look, rather than glance you will see (being nice) inexpensive fittings, a little under done in some materials used and if you are after performance might think twice, however, for an economical, modern runabout, cheap to run (not commenting on service here), 5star ANCAP safe, even turns a few heads on styling she is a wee bit cool!
My caution, nee worry is longevity and breakability.... stuff falling off or failing.
I am a stingy, stretch that dollar, mid 50s dad. I picked up the car in early 2018 for $8000 with 7000kms only as a private buy from a deceased estate so for my 8 grand i have a near new car which no doubt influences my comments. I do like the car, it, so far (17000kms) has not shown any problems (nor should it). Can fit 4 adults without trying too hard, even grinds it's way up a hill or three as long as not in a big hurry.. I still hold harsh views on holden, it's management to poor service .... just ask Consumer Affairs and Holdens severe penalties well earned but right now I'm hoping Beryl the Barina will prove her worth over time, 10yrs. :)

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Love my Barina

I love my car I use it daily to go to work and weekend.Its still very new 7months old.i Ave had my 1st service and due for next one very soon .The warranty is a long one and the first few services are free.I don't have any issues with at all.It has a lot of extra features at a very good price.I shopped around at other options first but this car was great value.

BadgeGS
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Happy red fellow Barina.

My wife own a Holden Barina XC 2002 model, is so great than my wife refuse to up date the car. Of course is no much drive for the age, 2002, manual with 93.000k on the clock, never fail, always ready, very economical, very sipy in traffic and in extremely beautiful condition. Paint is like new, engine very responsive for the cc capacity, in side is very easy with the controls and confortable seat. We do the service every 7000K, using good quality oil and filter, we driving it as a roundabout and every day commuting, I feel a bit of pleasure in maintaining it.
Out of our experience, the Holden Barina XC is brillante little fellow. Highly recommended if is in good condition.

Badge$4500
Engine Size1.4L Petrol
Date PurchasedApr 2002

Worst car in the world

This car is the worst car ever made. First the power door stopped working, then a/c stopped working, coolant reservoir needed replacement, had to replace engine mount, and oil light was on with loud rattling engine noise, mechanic said rocker cover needs some work as there were oil leaking up to the spark plugs so changed all the spark plugs and new rocker cover gasket but didn’t fix the problem, after visiting few service centres, mechanics could not fix it so finally had to replace with another 2nd hand engine. The car is still at the mechanics. So buying this car was one of the biggest mistake i ever made in my life. I just want to get rid of it. Already spent around $5000 just on repair so I will not spend anymore after this rather sell it to the scrap. Always reminds me of a dude I met at the traffic stop in Sydney who told me about his worst experience with this barina and he finally gave up and sold it. please do not buy this or even take it for free, it is just a trouble.

Badge$3000
Date PurchasedNov 2016

Great Uber

I’ve had my 2014 Sedan for going on 2yrs, it’s been great! I brought it from the auctions for 10 gran, pretty much brand knew and have done over 100000k Driving Uber in it and it hasn’t missed a beat. It does use a bit of fuel for a small engine but not too much. The cabin does also pick up a lot of engine noise but Barina have always had this(my grandmother had one in the 90’s). I recommend this car for sure

Date PurchasedJan 2016

The most horrific car I've owned. Would not own one even if I won a Barina

I bought a 2012 Barina TM Auto from a dealer on the Gold Coast for 10K used with 65000 kms on it. From the moment I drove it away I knew it was a lemon. I had owned 2 Commodore's and an Astra up until then and the Barina seemed like a functional, economical little car so I bought it thinking that it would be a great city car to get around in. I wish I had of reviewed this car before I bought it because I had just purchased a nightmare car.

To list all the crappy features:
1) It's a Daewoo, probably the crappest cars in history that aren't even made anymore for good reason! Found this out the hard way after the coolant tank had emptied all it's coolant and overheated from a faulty coolant tank and hose connections.
2) The Bluetooth is garbage. Cannot connect to my paired phone after like 20 attempts one day, and then the next day it will connect straight away. And then it drops out easy and I have to try pair again.
3) Gear box is gutless, the revs drop out and get the gearbox gets confused between gear changes around town. And when you go up hills I have to turn the aircon off to get a boost of power and even then I'm redlining the revs and the engine screams like it's being strangled.
4) The wiper fluid decides to sometimes not even spray the windscreen and instead floods the engine underneath the bonnet. Has been looked at so many times with seemingly nothing wrong. One day it washes my windscreen, the next it's wetting the engine.
5) Wiper blades have been replaced countless times, but a design flaw seems to make them screech every time it is used. Long roadtrips where it rains all the way are painful, think 2 hours of non-stop windscreen screeching. My wife and I have to put headphones on to block it out.
6) Gearstick buttons get jammed often
7) Sun visor parts just fall off without warning. We hardly use these, but they have just decided to break off easily.
8) Entire glovebox fell out without warning. Had to put this back in myself.
10) Headlights and tail lights seem to constantly need replacing, far more than seems normal.

Additional to all this we've had to have all the following fixed:

1) Coolant tank, coolant hoses
2) Brand new thermostat replaced by Holden, Cost $800
3) Engine mount replaced
4) Coil packs, cost over $400
5) Battery needed replacing twice
6) Many oil leaks and brake fluid leaks
7) Broken tail pipe nuts
8) Code 89 currently appearing on the dash, indicating yet another thermostat problem.

All of this over 3 years! Currently trying to sell it and am begging anyone to take it off my hands!! I cannot wait to see the end of this absolute piece of garbage vehicle that has put me off Holden for good. Do yourself a favour, NEVER EVER buy one of these cars!! I truly feel sorry for anyone that buys our car, it has been a car straight from hell.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Worst car I have owned.

Bought my 5 speed manual Barina new in 2013; I reported gear box problem at first service it crunched when moving through to second gear but was told the service department found nothing wrong with the gearbox but they noted the complaint and eventually after 12 months they replaced the gearbox. The car has had 3 coil packs fitted during its first 60000 kms; the first time the coil packs failed the motor just stopped dead with no warning and had to be towed to the garage. The engine mount failed which seems to be a common occurrence with these cars. I had to have the head gasket replaced and the motor head shaved due to the engine overheating which was my fault because I had not checked the water level regularly but I had no warning lights to tell me the engine was overheated and there is no water temperature gauge for me to monitor water temperature; No engine management light warned me of the problem; needless to say I check my water level quite regularly nowadays. I am very disappointed with this car and would certainly never recommend or buy another Holden Barina.

BodySedan
BadgeJust the usual Holden iconic badge
Date PurchasedAug 2013

Holden Barina

Absolutely terrible experience with this car I brought new in 2014. Engine mount has failed. I took it to the Holden dealerships in both West Auckland and New Market in New Zealand. They could not pick up the fault which the effects I have felt from early on when I brought it. It is now out of warranty and the car was vibrating badly and finally identified as a faulty engine mount. Holden will not cover the cost as out of warranty even through the fault has been felt and reported in the warranty period. Holden have not responded to the fit for proper purpose under the Consumer Guarantees Act. Rubbish car

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Great little car

Just sold my Barina and a little sad to see it go. Been a great car 6 years - 106 k city/country driving. Never a problem and with conservative driving around 700 ks to the tank. Replaced the original tyres at 70 k, 3 headlight globes, set of wipers with regular servicing and 2 roo hits. (1 side and 1 front left)

Good to drive and overtaking is easy. Layout is good and loved the big digital speed display. Plenty of room and with the backseats down plenty of room for a mower or a dryer.

1600cc motor so you notice when the aircon turns on and on long hill pulls it struggles a bit.

A 6th gear would have been nice but overall I can't fault it

Date PurchasedMar 2012

Terrible a lemon

What a piece of junk , only get 350 klm out of a full tank has oil leaks ,1st service oil was gluggy so needed 3 mthly oil changes , started smoking out of exhaust when 3 yrs old , Holden refused to honour warranty as l missed the 2nd year servicing with Them as went elsewhere , car not quiet or smooth compared to other cars now at 88000 klm on clock there oil under spark plugs and lost compression, was only serviced few mths ago just constant ongoing oil problems never buy a barina again they rubbish

Date PurchasedJun 2013

love it

Brought a 2012 black holden barina (sedan) i love it so much! the clutch is very easy to use have had no problems with it all. its good for everyday use easy to steer, radio is easy to use and very convienent with the Bluetooth system and a very spacious boot..

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Worst car I had seen in my life

I bought brand new car for peace of mind which not give me more expense for couple of years but since I bought barina at 10k some noise coming from engine while car goes 10 to 40 than no noise check with city Holden 8 times they said it’s charactristic of car than I drive 30 other company car but no car has noise like that at 30k oil leak from engine they didn’t tell me even if I am doing all service there I found out when I check my car out side it cost 1400$ but lucky in warranty after that 45k done engine mount and bush gone they fix it so with this low mileage lots of parts gone I think they use cheap parts.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Good lite car

Purchased new Dec 2017 LS Barina
Very happy good little car.
Quiet on the roads, averaging 8.3L per 100 around town but most of the driving is thru hills. On the highway average 7.1L per 100 sitting 105Km per hour. Seats are comfy. I purchased an aftermarket center console that fits straight in with no mods so I could have an armrest best $62 spent on ebay however its not suitable for LT model
A/C lacks a bit of cooling power.
Auto changes well and is smooth.
Overall very happy especially with 7 year warranty.

BadgeLS