Holden Commodore

Great Car

Awesome car, really comfortable, plenty of power and looks great. Had no problems with it at all so far, would recommend it to anyone that’d listen, assuming you can afford the fuel.

Purchased in February 2019 for $18,990.00.

Very reliable

I own a 2012 ve ss manual.
Fantastic car!! I had to replace the radiator hose back in 2016 and that is the only time the car has had to stop.
Battery gave up in 2016 also lasted 4 years.
Had to replace the traction button recently in 2018 and had to replace the reverse camera as it was faulty in 2018 all under warranty. I have done full logbook and never needed any extra work. Couldnt speak more highly of it. Also still on the original brakes which are going on 7 years old and the still have life left!!

Purchased in October 2012.

BoughtNew
Comfort

this is one of the good car i am driving

it seem very spacious, 3.6 LPG is with great power, nice driving experience, it is very economical as it on LPG and i see my fuel expanse has gone down by 45% monthly. it did come with spare wheel. can not complain much. hope to use it for long time.

Purchased in April 2019 for $17,500.00.

Comfort

Absolutely love this car, best purchase to date!

We drive this car for everyday driving and far travels, best car for road trips! The interior is perfect and the black edition is by far the best release of the SV6’s

Purchased in March 2019 at Holden Dealers for $24,990.00.

Comfort

Great car sadly murdered by GM

Like Saab I've no idea how Holden did such a car with so little respect from Detroit. GM. The most misguided car outfit ever.
Our VZ has all the gear and equipment you really need even 14yrs on. Great on rough roads. Rugged. Nice on my eyes too. Nothing special but a well thought out family car for the pre-SUV era.
Full electrics, huge space, nicely weighted steering, auto headlights, locking (and a real key I love not a credit card to go wrong!).
Fuel economy is awful and safety should be better. Many are driven by goons. Yet 2 to 4 airbags, abs isn't enough for 2005. Great boot. Just a nice simple car with an easy to access engine bay vs our other cars!

Purchased in January 2018 for $2,000.00.

2000 Holden Commodore Lumina VX

Bought it as my second car, just sold it. This review is sorely based on my own vehicle and experience, so some of the issues I had may not be applicable to your car.

Pros
-Power, 3.8L 6cylinder still going strong
-Good space front and rear
-Cheap to buy
-Decent build quality
-Planted feel when driving it
-Cheap and easy to maintain, you can take it any workshop and they are willing to work on it with cheap price

Cons
-High fuel consumption
-4 speed auto gearbox a bit out-dated by today's standard. And occassional gear slip when downshift hard.
-spoiler fractured, fixed by liquidnail
-Oil and coolant leak, not severe but is there
-Remote battery can't be replaced, you can only replace the entire key remote kit, quite costly

After all, a good reliable commuter, with decent power and space

Purchased in September 2018 for $1,600.00.

ZB commodore tourer Calais V AWD V6

New car had 1 day tailgate, back at dealer 1 week , still not fixed completely. Other problems with car still not fixed, Holdens attitude very bad. Don't buy this car!!!!!!

Purchased in February 2019 for $56,500.00.

BoughtNew

Still going strong after 13 years of ownership

Our VY II Berlina Wagon has been very reliable and we're still very happy with it. We bought it when it was three years old at 80,000kms and have had it since then. It's now at 255,000kms.

We've towed our 1200kg 16ft caravan on a 10,000km trip half way around Australia with no problems a couple of years ago when it was at 230,000kms. We had a transmission cooler installed just to be on the safe side. Apart from that it's been used as a daily driver with three kids. We got dicky seats put in the back to make it a seven seater. The cargo space is enormous, it just swallows up whatever you throw at it.

It's been very reliable and we've never had a breakdown. Naturally some things have failed through wear and tear but nothing that's held us up. We've monitored things and repaired them as they've started to get close to failure. These are some of what we've replaced:
* replaced radiator when the top tank started to leak
* heater tap
* power steering rack and pump
* various suspension bushes, shock absorbers
* rear wheel bearing
* just recently we've noticed the water pump dribbling so we'll get that replaced.

The steering wheel audio controls aren't reliable, we had an issue with a central locking solenoid and now one of the power windows is a bit intermittent. The CD stacker doesn't always load CD's properly. But things like this will happen with all cars, we just look into the problem and repair it as it happens. With regular preventative maintenance we've found the car to be very reliable.

There've been a few minor oil leaks, and the coolant keeps getting oil residue in it, but not in large quantities.

We have never had the dashboard apart, none of the dash light globes have failed, so there are relatively few rattles and creaks.

Purchased in September 2006 for $19,000.00.

2003 Holden Commodore 25th Anniversary V6 Ecotec VY Series II

After owning numerous (14 in all) VT-VX Holden Commodore's (see some of my reviews) I finally made the dive into the world of VY Commodores.

I purchased a genuine 1 owner, log book history & purchase documentation, 2003 Holden Commodore 25th Anniversary VY II w/ 72000 kms in near perfect condition for $3950.00

I wasn't in the market for one, but this one came up & I snapped it up at 8.30 am, after being listed for less than 40 mins ... My VX S Commodore sold 2 days later for $4000 ...

The first thing you notice about the VY as opposed to it's predecessors (the VT - VX) is a redesign in the appearance.

The front & rear of the sedan has sharper angles. The rear lights & boot have been reworked, as has the front grille & headlights. My personal favourite shape is the VT, but the VY looks less dated & a little more 'modern'.

Some people loved or hated the VT-VX interiors (I loved them) but the VY interior still has it's predecessors DNA but is significantly upgraded.

Some of the changes include a new instrument panel, centre console, steering wheel & redesigned transmission shifter & hand brake.

The new instrument cluster has a large multi-function digital display (single or triple-window model dependent), that displays information such as radio station display, PRND321 gear selected indicator, trip computer with stopwatch function, service reminders and a help facility.

The power outlet is located in the centre console. The top half of the dash is also reworked & the interior light/sun-glass holder is located to the front (near the review mirror). A much better ergonomic location.

My car is in Mica Turbine. It has a 25th Anniversary Badge on the rear, 25th Anniversary Badged front floor mats & 25th Anniversary display on the dash at start up.

Specifications are similar to the Acclaim and include the following standard features:
16 Alloy Wheels
6 Speaker Stereo
ABS (Antilock Brakes)
Adjustable Steering Col. - Tilt & Reach
Air Conditioning
Airbag - Driver
Airbag - Passenger
Alarm
Armrest - Front Centre (Shared)
Body Colour - Bumpers
Electric Seat - Drivers
Engine Immobiliser
Exhaust - Stainless Steel Single System
Floor Mats 25th Anniversary
Headlamps Automatic (light sensitive)
Independent Rear Suspension
Power Steering
Power Windows - Front & Rear
Remote Boot/Hatch Release
Remote Fuel Lid Release
Seatbelt - Load Limiters 1st Row (Front)
Seatbelt - Pretensioners 1st Row (Front)
Seatbelts - Lap/Sash for 5 seats
Speed Dependant Volume Stereo
Speed Dependant Wipers
Spoiler - Rear
Sunvisor - Illuminated Vanity Mirrors Dual
Tacho
Trim - Velour
Trip Computer

FYI the following options were available when new:
18 Alloy Wheels - $2,700
Air Cond & Side Airbags - $2,770
Body Kit - Lower (skirts, F & R Aprons) - $1,340
LPG (Dual Fuel) - $2,595
Sunroof - Electric - $2,050

One advantage of the VY is it shares many mechanical components to the VT-VX (Parts are IMO cheap) & many repairs/servicing you can do yourself (Water pumps, brakes, radiators, transmission services, fuel filters, oil/filters etc etc) with a good workshop manual & plenty of online forum help (see my other reviews).

This is the first commodore I've owned that has not got factory FE2 or modified aftermarket suspension/shocks.

In all honesty the ride is softer that FE2 but I am REALLY enjoining how much smoother & quieter the ride is. The ride/handling, suspension set up is clearly aimed towards comfort & NOT performance.

Fit & finish is much better than a VT-VX but you would expect this from a model upgrade & of course the low mileage.

The VY is quiet, smooth & the V6 Ecotec does it's job. I am a big fan of the Ecotec with it's simplicity & reliability (when serviced and looked after properly).

(As with all my reviews) I strongly advise (from owning many VTs, VXs & now VY) is to buy the best unmodified car that you can afford with service history (where possible).

There are still really nice V6 Ecotec cars to be found if you are patient. V8s are much tougher but not impossible to find.

An amazing car ..

Bought my 07 ve omega 2 weeks ago,
It is 3.6 petrol/factory gas, I get about 600 klms from 73 ltrs of gas have only used half a tank of petrol, this car is so smooth to drive, cannot feel the change from petrol to gas and back, it's one of the best maintained second hand cars I have driven, a credit to previous owners, nothing to spend on it as yet, everything works great, can't fault it, I average 800 klicks per week, and the comfort it gives is second to none...in closing...I love it !

Purchased in January 2019 for $4,500.00.

Comfort

Wouldn’t dream of any other car.

I bought a beautiful red VF ssv redline about 2 years ago. Start of 2017. It caught my eye and every other vf that I looked at just didn’t appeal to me and I kept going back to the exact car that caught my eye from the moment I saw it. I knew it was the one! So I bought it. And it’s the best car I’ve ever owned in my life it was 2014 model. It had so much power I loved it! So immaculate and fancy inside and out, handles very very well and never ever found one problem with it. It may be a V8 but it’s still the perfect car for that ideal family who love style and class. It has the special car seat safety harness attachments inside the seats too so extra safe for a baby!

BadgeSS V Redline
Engine Size6.0
TransmissionAuto with select shift sports automatic
Date PurchasedJan 2017

Good quality car

Very impressed, reliable and looks great - was choosing between this and a similar model and glad I chose what I did as I have been thoroughly impressed and blown away by the craftsmanship and sheer reliability of this stellar vehicle just time and time again. Would def recommend as a great car.

Engine Size3.0
Date PurchasedMar 2012

2012 VE SSZ

Although i have not had the car long it is a blast to drive, especially having the 6 speed manual. There are lots of windy corners in my area and this beast just loves corners! The factory stereo is crap. The car has rear muffler delete so it sounds more like a V8 should. On a 470km trip i averaged 9.7L/100km which is great for the size of the engine and car. I have always maintained my own cars and i always do oil and filter at 5000km, not 10,000 or 15,000 as Holden suggest. Look after your car and it will look after you.

BadgeSS Z Series
Date PurchasedDec 2018

Comfortable large performance sedan with attitude when needed.

I bought this car second hand, one year old. Very comfortable and spacious, with a cavernous 495 litre boot. I take it to work daily and always look forward to driving it. Putting your foot down, the engine comes to life and you get pushed back in your seat with all the torque- your fuel economy will plummet though as the 6.2 litre LS3 engine can gobble fuel when pushed. I average 8.5 litres/100km highway and 17 in town.

I get the car serviced once a year and so far have had no issues (just a year so far).

Very good fit and finish with no squeaks or rattles. Soft touch materials on some surfaces with a chunky, great feeling steering wheel and a snickety manual gear change. I love this vehicle- the only downside for me is the high fuel consumption when pushed.

Engine Size6.2
Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great car.... if it wasn't a lemon. BAD ELECTRICS

I've recently sold my 2014 Holden Commodore SSV sedan in an amazing Prussian Steel. It's probably one of the most heartbreaking things I've had to do. It's equivalent to a breakup in my opinion.

I'd bought it in January 2018 with 86,000kms on the odometer for $32,000 and traded it in last week on Friday with 102,000 for $18,000. It's not a very long time to have such a beautiful car. I hope the dealer I sold it to manages to fix it so no one else has to deal with the burden.

Over the duration of owning it had it's steering rack replaced (common occurrence) been serviced 2 times (at the times it needed service) had lube mobile come out 4 times($80 per callout) for an issue where it wouldn't start and have it at their workshop once to try their luck by replacing the fuel pump and battery (which didn't fix it) which cost me almost $800. Was advised it could be a series of things, only way to know is by doing them one at a time which would cost upwards of $5000 which I do not have the money for as I am and only me paying for myself and my partners food, rent, insurance for our cars, registration for our cars and fuel for our cars plus all other bills that people have. My partner is studying and drives to uni and my working hours means I can't borrow her car all the time. At the time of purchase we were in a better financial standing with her working. I had to get loans from my parents to pay for the "repairs" on this car. Holden wouldn't help because it was out of warranty and lube mobile were going to charge thousands to maybe fix it.

Just severely disappointed, my first ever car that I was proud to drive, just had to be a lemon.

BadgeSS V
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great v6

I have had about 11 cars in 18 years - all from different makers, from Hiunday to Ford, to Renault and Kia - all sports cars. My partner’s had Holdens before. I never did. I really enjoy driving my SW and forget there is a V6 under the bonnet. The dealership was pretty good too and not too pushy.

BodySportwagon
Engine Size3.8
Date PurchasedApr 2018

Best family car

I’ve had my 2013 vf for just over two years now and I love it! I have four kids and they’re is plenty of room for them ranging in ages 10years-2years old. I love all the features from remote start which is a life saver on hot days to cool the car down before we get in, comfortable seats which have multiple positions, the boot is huge it doesn’t look like it from the outside but it’s seriously huge. I’ve driven multiple long trips with my kids between qld/nsw with ease, everybody’s so comfortable so it makes it a breaze. It’s our everyday purpose car, school runs, shopping, sporting activities, it’s very reliable and the only thing I’ve had to replace is tyres and a battery! We picked ours up sv6 2013 for $19,000 and it’s the best $19k I’ve spent!

BadgeSV6
Date PurchasedOct 2016

Aussie icon and I love it

I had a 2005 sv6 the hsv by design edition as well as a Lumina 2005 ar the same time at one stage both were low kms and were well maintained by their original owners.

The sv6 was 5 speed, leather seats, body kit and shifters on the stearing wheel. Wsy above average for the cars around ay that time.

And the lumina had its body kit and the inside wasnt much different than other vzs.

The vz was a great car, quick of the mark, solid and if the car was looked after then you are a happy driver.

Only con about them is that due to their age the little annoying things continually require fixing such as thermostat, radiator and leaking hoses

BadgeSV6 Z Series
Date PurchasedMay 2015

Great Big Australian

I purchased the last of the Australian built SV6 Commodore Wagon. I love this car so much and still look forward to my 30min drive to work each day. The quality is excellent and the amount of tech astounded me. This car self parks (thought I wouldn’t use it but I do) auto headlights and great sound system and Sat nav. Such a shame we don’t build in Australia anymore. My last Aussie built car was a 1967 HR Premier i used back in the 70’s. On average its sitting on 9.4 L per 100km so not bad for a great big Australian.

BadgeSV6
BodySportwagon
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great car for the family. Plenty of room, good on fuel.

I use my car daily ferrying the kids to school as well as commuting to and from work, we regularly take it on the open road, goes beautifully. I service it every 6 months, no known issues so far. This car was very well maintained by its previous owner. All I’ve had to do was put new tyres on it and replace brake pads, it’s a very comfortable family car. And so far very reliable.
After driving manual transmission cars for the last 20 years the auto transmission is an added bonus! My VE is one of the best cars I’ve ever owned.

BadgeOmega