Holden Commodore

Holden Commodore

ZB, VE, VF, VS, VT and 3 more

See the Best Cars in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Beautiful Car

I bought this new car in April 2019 and it is the best Holden I have driven. I have owned lots & lots of Holdens starting from the HR to the HX Sandman & VF & now the ZB.
Like every one I was a little sceptical about buying the new German Import & I actully didnt even test drive this car I bought it over the phone my first drive of the car is when I signed for it.
But what a surprise the new V6 has a lot more power than any other Holden V6 that I have driven'
On the first service the car Required nothing to be fixed.
Good job Holden but you need to market this car better people are not aware how good this car is.
I will buy Holden again.

Purchased in April 2019 at Holden Dealers for $52,000.00.

Year2019
Comfort

The car isn't really that bad, Holden's warranty and after sales service is 1 star

So I (foolishly) bought a ZB RS wagon, and had a Holden genuine towbar fitted by the dealer. Now the park assist doesn't work and my local dealer who is 40 minutes closer than the dealer I bought it from won't fix it. Sure they tried a few simple things but now they are saying they need to remove the rear bumper and it won't be covered by warranty!!! Freaking unbelievable!! I am the first private owner of this car (it is a dealer demo) and it has 4 years warranty left. The original dealer is happy to have a look but they are over an hours drive away and I will need to get a hire car whilst they try to fix it. Do not buy a holden, worst most useless warranty ever. I even had 2 different people from Holden give me 2 different stories, one even suggested had I had the towbar fitted interstate that I would have to return to that dealer, absolutely ludicrous. Now I have to return to the dealer that sold me the car and fitted the towbar, as this is not a quick fix I will probably have to hire a car, so don't be fooled into thinking a warranty means no out of pocketr expenses, it doesn't.

Purchased in June 2019 for $26,500.00.

Year2019

I smile when I drive

I bought the RS-V Wagon and drive it mainly to work. Having driven V6 cars only this car is a dream to drive. I know what people say about the name and being imported but the car itself is great. The feeling of the AWD and sports handing mixed with the sound of the engine make it fun to drive. The interior is very stylish and has all the features you could want and more. The Holden MyLink is improved on the VF and simple to use and electronic dash makes accessing features easy and safer to do when driving. Opted for premium mechanical plan so all up bought with 7 years of warranty and roadside assist. Must be serviced by Holden but the price online seems reasonable.

Overall there are always things to improve, and I guess that may come in cases of things more mechanical over time. I’d love some more storage compartments for one, and more room in the compartments you do get.

Purchased in August 2019 at Brighton Holden.

Best car looks

Use it everyday and the best car, luv this car. Use it for sports, family and commuting to work.

Everyday i use this car.

Service every 6 months to keep in good condition, Never had any issue. Hope it comes back.

Purchased in December 2012 at Suttons for $18,000.00.

Year2010

Great car

Brought this car back in 2004 it is the best car we brought we have done 243000 klm in it and have not had one problem has not had a Spanner put on it at all great car

Purchased in June 2004 at PrivateFleet for $17,000.00.

Year2004
Comfort

Great Car Except For Water Trails Behind It..

Every time we drive the car and after doing approx 5 to 10 kms it leaves trails of water from both exhaust pipes...Holden dealer and customer service say this is normal for all zb 4 cylinder commodores....I expect some water at start up for a few moments but not after driving for over 10 or so mins in low humidity.....Any one else have this trouble...The photo attached is after the car was driven 9 kms on a fine sunny day ...

Purchased in April 2019 for $35,000.00.

Year2017

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

We picked up our ZB RS 2.0L turbo last week. It has 5500km on it first registered in Oct 18. I am really impressed, i have owned a number of Holden in the past (VH Commodore, WH Statesman Gen3, VE SS, VF SS LS3) and they have all been great but this one is light years ahead. I think the people who slam this car have never driven one and can't move on from Aussie manufacturing being closed. Sure it is a bit smaller than the VF but is bigger than the VT. I test drove a Subaru, and a Camry (Camry looked good but very disappointing to drive, it was like a gutless whale compared to ZB) and the Commodore is far superior. I drove both the 2.0L T and the V6 AWD. Look i nearly grabbed the V6 but went with the 4 cylinder. This thing is quick, certainly quicker than the VF SV6 and i think it would be quicker than the WH with the LS1 5.7L. People just need to remember the first commodore came from Germany and now it has gone back to its' roots. Shame that holden don't have a V8 in it, it would be lethal or perhaps a twin turbo 6 to replace the V8 but i just read they are bringing out the new mid engine Corvette as RHD so that will tick that box for the price of a HSV GTS. I say go and drive one you may get a suprise.

Purchased in June 2019 for $29,000.00.

2015 SV6 Storm best buy for the $

Love this car. Best value car for the $. Economical .9 to 10 liters per 100 KLM around town. 6.4 to 7.5 highway driving. Perfect mechanically. Always serviced at Holden dealership. Powerful and beautiful premium Prussian Steel paint. Roomy. Would have liked full fold down rear seat and Hurrican mufflers but hey, this is a superb car and a keeper. Better than the new BMW, Turbo Falcon and Jag I used to drive. Buy one while you still can with low mileage. Cheers.

Purchased in January 2016 at Eagers Holden Brisbane for $35,000.00.

Year2015

SV6 - Safe, sure, reliable. Power when I need it

With very few options after my car was stolen and Real Insurance 'conveniently' lowered the agreed value on the last renewal of the pay-by-the-month insurance, I bought my first Holden.
A second hand 2006 SV6 commodore.

Wow! Power when I need it for towing for moving house (who needs a removalist when I have this beast??)

When using it day-to-day the only thing I need to remember is not to be tempted to floor it, which keeps the economy surprisingly good. But it's so cool to have the power when I need it ;)

The ride is smooth even in offroad situations, something I wasn't expecting.

The other thing is allowing it to go through the startup checks when putting the key in - the 10-15 seconds is a little annoying at first but it reminded me of being a kid and Dad warming up the car first.

Mechanical - It had a minor issue with oil pressure but a quick visit to the Commodore forums told me this was likely from someone not using the right oil. Flushed it and it hasn't missed a beat since! Service costs are so low they are a joke after having owned Japanese and Euro cars for years!

Highly recommended as long as you're not a lead-foot ;)

Purchased in July 2017 for $4,900.00.

Year2006

Love driving this car

Bought the VF Sportswagon back in Feb 2015, had to wait a few weeks as I wanted the 2015 model with additional features. Everyone who’s been in the car loves it. Lots of space, smooth, fairly quiet, leather interior, handles well and goes like the living Jesus when you want it too. Pretty good on juice does about 800klms to the 80 litre tank. Best car ever, will keep it for a while yet!

Purchased in February 2015 at Holden Dealers.

Year2015

Great Car

Awesome car, really comfortable, plenty of power and looks great. Had no problems with it at all so far, would recommend it to anyone that’d listen, assuming you can afford the fuel.

Purchased in February 2019 for $18,990.00.

Year2011

Very reliable

I own a 2012 ve ss manual.
Fantastic car!! I had to replace the radiator hose back in 2016 and that is the only time the car has had to stop.
Battery gave up in 2016 also lasted 4 years.
Had to replace the traction button recently in 2018 and had to replace the reverse camera as it was faulty in 2018 all under warranty. I have done full logbook and never needed any extra work. Couldnt speak more highly of it. Also still on the original brakes which are going on 7 years old and the still have life left!!

Purchased in October 2012.

TransmissionManual
Year2012
Comfort

this is one of the good car i am driving

it seem very spacious, 3.6 LPG is with great power, nice driving experience, it is very economical as it on LPG and i see my fuel expanse has gone down by 45% monthly. it did come with spare wheel. can not complain much. hope to use it for long time.

Purchased in April 2019 for $17,500.00.

Year2014
Comfort

Absolutely love this car, best purchase to date!

We drive this car for everyday driving and far travels, best car for road trips! The interior is perfect and the black edition is by far the best release of the SV6’s

Purchased in March 2019 at Holden Dealers for $24,990.00.

Year2016
Comfort

Great car sadly murdered by GM

Like Saab I've no idea how Holden did such a car with so little respect from Detroit. GM. The most misguided car outfit ever.
Our VZ has all the gear and equipment you really need even 14yrs on. Great on rough roads. Rugged. Nice on my eyes too. Nothing special but a well thought out family car for the pre-SUV era.
Full electrics, huge space, nicely weighted steering, auto headlights, locking (and a real key I love not a credit card to go wrong!).
Fuel economy is awful and safety should be better. Many are driven by goons. Yet 2 to 4 airbags, abs isn't enough for 2005. Great boot. Just a nice simple car with an easy to access engine bay vs our other cars!

Purchased in January 2018 for $2,000.00.

Year2005

2000 Holden Commodore Lumina VX

Bought it as my second car, just sold it. This review is sorely based on my own vehicle and experience, so some of the issues I had may not be applicable to your car.

Pros
-Power, 3.8L 6cylinder still going strong
-Good space front and rear
-Cheap to buy
-Decent build quality
-Planted feel when driving it
-Cheap and easy to maintain, you can take it any workshop and they are willing to work on it with cheap price

Cons
-High fuel consumption
-4 speed auto gearbox a bit out-dated by today's standard. And occassional gear slip when downshift hard.
-spoiler fractured, fixed by liquidnail
-Oil and coolant leak, not severe but is there
-Remote battery can't be replaced, you can only replace the entire key remote kit, quite costly

After all, a good reliable commuter, with decent power and space

Purchased in September 2018 for $1,600.00.

Year2000

ZB commodore tourer Calais V AWD V6

New car had 1 day tailgate, back at dealer 1 week , still not fixed completely. Other problems with car still not fixed, Holdens attitude very bad. Don't buy this car!!!!!!

Purchased in February 2019 for $56,500.00.

Still going strong after 13 years of ownership

Our VY II Berlina Wagon has been very reliable and we're still very happy with it. We bought it when it was three years old at 80,000kms and have had it since then. It's now at 255,000kms.

We've towed our 1200kg 16ft caravan on a 10,000km trip half way around Australia with no problems a couple of years ago when it was at 230,000kms. We had a transmission cooler installed just to be on the safe side. Apart from that it's been used as a daily driver with three kids. We got dicky seats put in the back to make it a seven seater. The cargo space is enormous, it just swallows up whatever you throw at it.

It's been very reliable and we've never had a breakdown. Naturally some things have failed through wear and tear but nothing that's held us up. We've monitored things and repaired them as they've started to get close to failure. These are some of what we've replaced:
* replaced radiator when the top tank started to leak
* heater tap
* power steering rack and pump
* various suspension bushes, shock absorbers
* rear wheel bearing
* just recently we've noticed the water pump dribbling so we'll get that replaced.

The steering wheel audio controls aren't reliable, we had an issue with a central locking solenoid and now one of the power windows is a bit intermittent. The CD stacker doesn't always load CD's properly. But things like this will happen with all cars, we just look into the problem and repair it as it happens. With regular preventative maintenance we've found the car to be very reliable.

There've been a few minor oil leaks, and the coolant keeps getting oil residue in it, but not in large quantities.

We have never had the dashboard apart, none of the dash light globes have failed, so there are relatively few rattles and creaks.

Purchased in September 2006 for $19,000.00.

Year2003

2003 Holden Commodore 25th Anniversary V6 Ecotec VY Series II

After owning numerous (14 in all) VT-VX Holden Commodore's (see some of my reviews) I finally made the dive into the world of VY Commodores.

I purchased a genuine 1 owner, log book history & purchase documentation, 2003 Holden Commodore 25th Anniversary VY II w/ 72000 kms in near perfect condition for $3950.00

I wasn't in the market for one, but this one came up & I snapped it up at 8.30 am, after being listed for less than 40 mins ... My VX S Commodore sold 2 days later for $4000 ...

The first thing you notice about the VY as opposed to it's predecessors (the VT - VX) is a redesign in the appearance.

The front & rear of the sedan has sharper angles. The rear lights & boot have been reworked, as has the front grille & headlights. My personal favourite shape is the VT, but the VY looks less dated & a little more 'modern'.

Some people loved or hated the VT-VX interiors (I loved them) but the VY interior still has it's predecessors DNA but is significantly upgraded.

Some of the changes include a new instrument panel, centre console, steering wheel & redesigned transmission shifter & hand brake.

The new instrument cluster has a large multi-function digital display (single or triple-window model dependent), that displays information such as radio station display, PRND321 gear selected indicator, trip computer with stopwatch function, service reminders and a help facility.

The power outlet is located in the centre console. The top half of the dash is also reworked & the interior light/sun-glass holder is located to the front (near the review mirror). A much better ergonomic location.

My car is in Mica Turbine. It has a 25th Anniversary Badge on the rear, 25th Anniversary Badged front floor mats & 25th Anniversary display on the dash at start up.

Specifications are similar to the Acclaim and include the following standard features:
16 Alloy Wheels
6 Speaker Stereo
ABS (Antilock Brakes)
Adjustable Steering Col. - Tilt & Reach
Air Conditioning
Airbag - Driver
Airbag - Passenger
Alarm
Armrest - Front Centre (Shared)
Body Colour - Bumpers
Electric Seat - Drivers
Engine Immobiliser
Exhaust - Stainless Steel Single System
Floor Mats 25th Anniversary
Headlamps Automatic (light sensitive)
Independent Rear Suspension
Power Steering
Power Windows - Front & Rear
Remote Boot/Hatch Release
Remote Fuel Lid Release
Seatbelt - Load Limiters 1st Row (Front)
Seatbelt - Pretensioners 1st Row (Front)
Seatbelts - Lap/Sash for 5 seats
Speed Dependant Volume Stereo
Speed Dependant Wipers
Spoiler - Rear
Sunvisor - Illuminated Vanity Mirrors Dual
Tacho
Trim - Velour
Trip Computer

FYI the following options were available when new:
18 Alloy Wheels - $2,700
Air Cond & Side Airbags - $2,770
Body Kit - Lower (skirts, F & R Aprons) - $1,340
LPG (Dual Fuel) - $2,595
Sunroof - Electric - $2,050

One advantage of the VY is it shares many mechanical components to the VT-VX (Parts are IMO cheap) & many repairs/servicing you can do yourself (Water pumps, brakes, radiators, transmission services, fuel filters, oil/filters etc etc) with a good workshop manual & plenty of online forum help (see my other reviews).

This is the first commodore I've owned that has not got factory FE2 or modified aftermarket suspension/shocks.

In all honesty the ride is softer that FE2 but I am REALLY enjoining how much smoother & quieter the ride is. The ride/handling, suspension set up is clearly aimed towards comfort & NOT performance.

Fit & finish is much better than a VT-VX but you would expect this from a model upgrade & of course the low mileage.

The VY is quiet, smooth & the V6 Ecotec does it's job. I am a big fan of the Ecotec with it's simplicity & reliability (when serviced and looked after properly).

(As with all my reviews) I strongly advise (from owning many VTs, VXs & now VY) is to buy the best unmodified car that you can afford with service history (where possible).

There are still really nice V6 Ecotec cars to be found if you are patient. V8s are much tougher but not impossible to find.

An amazing car ..

Bought my 07 ve omega 2 weeks ago,
It is 3.6 petrol/factory gas, I get about 600 klms from 73 ltrs of gas have only used half a tank of petrol, this car is so smooth to drive, cannot feel the change from petrol to gas and back, it's one of the best maintained second hand cars I have driven, a credit to previous owners, nothing to spend on it as yet, everything works great, can't fault it, I average 800 klicks per week, and the comfort it gives is second to none...in closing...I love it !

Purchased in January 2019 for $4,500.00.

Year2007
Comfort

I have a 2012 holden commodore series 2 sport wagon. Have leak on top of fuel tank have replaced hoses on top. Start vehicle no leaks turn vehicle off and after a couple of minutes starts to drip and after say 2 min it stops.?? Dripping down drivers side. I am thinking maybe one of the hoses not right.??

How much will it cost to fix holden commodore omega 2007 rear passenger side power window?

Is there a way to adjust temp settings on air con in commodore 60th anniversary

Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) LT Petrol (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) LT Diesel (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) RS FWD (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) RS AWD (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) RS-V (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) VXR (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) Calais Diesel (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) Calais Petrol (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Sedan) Calais-V (2017-2019)Holden Commodore ZB (Wagon) LT DieselHolden Commodore ZB (Wagon) LT PetrolHolden Commodore ZB (Wagon) RSHolden Commodore ZB (Wagon) RS-VHolden Commodore VE (2006-2013)Holden Commodore VF (Sedan) (2013-2017)Holden Commodore VF (Wagon)Holden Commodore VZ (2004-2006)Holden Commodore VY (2002-2004)Holden Commodore VX (2000-2002)Holden Commodore VT (1997-2000)Holden Commodore VS (1995-1997)
CategoryCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and SedansCars and WagonsCars and WagonsCars and WagonsCars and WagonsCars, Wagons and SedansCars and SedansCars and WagonsCars, Wagons and SedansCars, Wagons and SedansCars, Wagons and SedansCars, Wagons and SedansCars and Sedans
Starting Price $40,990$43,990$51,990$51,990$46,990$55,990$43,990$40,990$51,990$48,290$35,490$37,490$32,990$33,290$32,490$44,400$29,910
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and ManualAutomatic and Manual
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)
Fuel TypePetrolDieselPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolDieselPetrolPetrolLPG and PetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy19" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy15" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars4 Stars4 Stars
Doors55555555544444444
Seats55555555555555555
Fuel Consumption7.6 L/100km5.8 L/100km9.1 L/100km9.1 L/100km8.9 L/100km9.3 L/100km5.8 L/100km7.6 L/100km9.1 L/100km9.7 L/100km9 L/100km9 L/100km11 L/100km11.3 L/100km6.6 L/100km8 L/100km7.4 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 61 L61 L61 L61 L61 L61 L61 L61 L61 L71 L71 L71 L75 L75 L75 L59 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L6 Cylinder 3.6L6 Cylinder 3.6L6 Cylinder 3.6L6 Cylinder 3.6L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L6 Cylinder 3.6L6 Cylinder 3.6L6 Cylinder 3.6L6 Cylinder 3.6L6 Cylinder 3.6L6 Cylinder 3.8L6 Cylinder 3.8L8 Cylinder 5.7L6 Cylinder 3.8L
Max Power191kW @ 5500rpm125kW @ 3750rpm235kW @ 6800rpm235kW @ 6800rpm235kW @ 6800rpm235kW @ 6800rpm125kW @ 3750rpm191kW @ 5500rpm235kW @ 6800rpm210kW @ 6700rpm210kW @ 6700rpm210kW @ 6700rpm172kW @ 6000rpm152kW @ 5200rpm152kW @ 5200rpm220kW @ 5000rpm147kW @ 5200rpm
Max Torque350Nm @ 3000-4000rpm400Nm @ 1750-2500rpm381Nm @ 5200rpm381Nm @ 5200rpm381Nm @ 5200rpm381Nm @ 5200rpm400Nm @ 1750-2500rpm350Nm @ 3000-4000rpm381Nm @ 5200rpm350Nm @ 2800rpm350Nm @ 2800rpm350Nm @ 2800rpm320Nm @ 2800rpm305Nm @ 3600rpm305Nm @ 3600rpm446Nm @ 4400rpm304Nm @ 3600rpm
Country of ManufactureGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyGermanyAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustralia
Safety Features
  • Driver Attention Detection
  • Driver Attention Detection
Extra Features
  • Voice Control
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2006Jan 2013Jan 2013Jan 2004Jan 2002Jan 2000Jan 1997Jan 1995
Discontinuation dateDec 2013Dec 2017Dec 2017Dec 2006Dec 2004Dec 2002Dec 2000Dec 1997