Hyundai Accent

Efficient & effective but issues

Bought new for my daily 80 km commute to work & back in peak hour traffic. Generally it does everything quite well but has a number of annoying quirks which include:
1. The throttle is extremely touchy from idle which makes driving in peak hour traffic & taking off from traffic lights difficult. The car will also give quite a second push of power at around 1500 rpm even though the throttle is unchanged requiring care not to run into the back of the car in front.
2. Very twitchy steering when trying to drive straight, in fact I'd say the car just doesn't drive straight as it requires constant correction and vigilance otherwise it will quickly wander out of the lane. The dealer has checked the wheel alignment & tweaked it but it still twitches.
3. The cruise control only works well on flat straight roads otherwise it's rubbish. The best description of its behaviour on even mild hills is like a very lazy driver not checking their speed so it over corrects when it finally realises the speed has dropped way too low then it will peak over the crest of the hill and run the speed up into speeding ticket territory. Active control to over-ride the throttle early helps in maintaining speed up an incline and turning off the cruise control when cresting a hill then hitting resume when on the down hill side works to effectively overcome the woeful behaviour.
4. The view out the back window is abysmal verging on useless, it really needs a camera or distance measuring "beepers" fitted as standard.
5. Vast swathes of Orange Peeled paint which is very disappointing for a modern car.
On the plus side:
A. The GDI engine has a lot of poke for a 1.6 & is reasonably economical.
B. The six speed automatic works quite well most of the time.
C. Steering wheel infotainment & cruise controls are easy to use.
D. It was cheap to buy so what else could I expect.

Purchased in December 2018 at Maughan Thiem.

Noise Level
Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

worried about driving up a mountain with air con.

My 2018 Hyundai Accent is very heavy to drive up hills if the air-con is working. I am unsure about taking it for a drive up a mountain in summer. I have asked for info from the service centre but they have not yet called back. It also seems to use a lot of fuel.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Wonderful car

Bought the new Hyundai Accent 2018 Sport model in April this year - terrific car, reliable, economical- only negative was no CD player - otherwise great car and great buy.
This model was upgraded from previous models with alloy wheels, leather steering wheel and 1.6litre engine. Would have to add that seats aren’t the most comfortable, but ok for short trips and commuting

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great run around

I purchased my 2012 Hyundai Accent from an elderly couple. I use the car to commute to work and the school runs daily. Both my taller kids fit in the car easily and my husband which is 6 foot 2 comfortably. I find having the diesel model on a full tank of fuel will last me the full 2 weeks if i am running around my area. It is very zippy. Never had any problems with the car. Would definitely recommend to buy for anyone.
My only negative comment about the car is that the turning circle is not very good for the size of the car. My husbands 2017 Pajero Sports has a better turning circle which I was really surprised.

Badge$8000
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

soo reliable

I’ve had this car for 5 years. It’s sturdy and cheap to take care of, even though I use it for daily long distance travel it handles itself quite well. I don’t get it serviced as much as I should and it still does surprisingly well and is reasonably reliable.

Date PurchasedFeb 2006

LOVE the new car

Love my new Hyundai Accent. I use it for work 3 days a week & find myself taking small adventures to little cafes & shop that are out of the way on my days off just to drive my car. It looks great, drives extremely well, is comfortable & very economic. Got it for a great price! Up for the 1st service but they're all capped. The Hyundai team were great & made a huge fuss for presentation/pick up. My 1st drive, like every one, is a dream come true!!

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Amazing

myself and my family used this car everyday for almost 10 years, it was amazing with only small problems here and there like spark plugs going. This car saved me as i was in a car crash and the crumple zones i the front of it helped me. I really recommended this vehicle

Date PurchasedSep 2007

Amazed!

I use this car for everyday purposes! To work, to study, to the shops, to anywhere and everywhere! never had any issue with this car over the last 7 months! Comfortable, little and smooth to drive. It’s reliable and a trustworthy car and makes all my adventures small or far a fun time! The functions and accessories compliment the entire car!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Value for money

This was my first new car. I have it specifically in the sedan - which was hard to find! Most city cars I found were the standard hatchbacks. Anyway I semi-regularly use it for commuting and shopping, and occasionally for longer country trips. It holds up well either way and has great fuel economy. Also has 5 year warranty. I get a lot of use out of the Bluetooth and the reverse park sensors (extra), though I really wish it had Android Auto.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Accent Sports

Great performance, has some get up and go. Previously had the Veloster. This is the same vehicle with a the same motor but a different body.
Very happy, use about $30 a week in petrol. Never missed a beat, comfortable, easy to drive. Only thing I am missing is a reversing camera, otherwise has all the bells and whistles. Great value for money.

BadgeSR
Date PurchasedJan 2016

Fails safety test

Whilst stopped at the lights, the driver of a minibus (reading a text message) ran into the rear of my vehicle at full speed and pushed it forward into another stationary car. The airbags did not activate which resulted in the two occupants being hurt. If passengers had been in the back seat, they would have been seriously injured from the impact which wrote ff my car. Buyer beware!

Engine Size1.4
Date PurchasedMar 2017

reasonable price and good quality

I have bought this little bumble bee in John hughes in 2015 during the end of financial year sales. The manager has offer me this model with under 20 k aud which is very affordable for me and my wife. The color of the car is yellow and we no need to pay extra for the color. I have been driving it for 3 years and still no problem is found. very satisfied with it

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Smooth drive

The Hyundai Accent is a nice midrange car. It is spacious yet small enough to fit into tight spots. Nothing rattles or shakes while driving. There is a sensor in the front seats that alerts you to put your seatbelt on. It has central locking that automatically locks when the car hits a certain speed.
In all, a nice car to drive.

BadgeGL
Date PurchasedJul 2015

4 Year’s old and still amazing

I bought this car in 2014 brand new now 4 Year’s later it’s still perfect! Perfect on fuel as well ! I love it never had an issue with it. I have a little boy & the pram fits great in the boot! I would definitely recommend this car to anyone who needs a small decent car!

BadgeHyundai
Date PurchasedApr 2014

This car is excellent value for money

We bought a new Irridescent Red Accent Sport in March-April 2018 for my wife. I't now 3000 ks old. Value for money, it"s far better than the i30 at $6000 more. I vote the Accent at least 4 1/2 stars. We had a great deal and love this Dealer. This car has very comfortable seating, suitable for driving hours at a time. It has a small fuel tank and therefore requires filling more often, but doesn't use much fuel.. A full size spare wheel is a neccessity in Australia, and this has one, but not most of the opposition. At highway speeds it rides and handles extremely well. The engine and auto have sufficient power, and although it down changes (6 speed auto) on hills to maintain speed, it does maintain speed when running on cruise control up and down hills. Rear seat headroom and legroom is great for me, at over 1,85 mts I can't say that about almost all the opposition either. Only dissappointment for me is 1/ Steering wheel isn't adjustable for distance, and I could be more comfortable if the steering wheel was 75 mm closer to my face. (My legs are bent too much, and reminds me of my old Mini Cooper "S") 2/ Suspendion is too hard when driving at 60 kph, better progressive rate springs which are softer at low speeds, and better shock absorbers would make a huge difference by turning a great car into a "european sports car ride" without very much extra expense.3/ Better quality tyres are available, which could reduce the reasonably quite ride, into a very quite ride at freeway speeds. Resale looks very good at 5 or 6 years from now..Would we buy another.? You bet we would.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

I love it.

I have an Accent SR auto which I bought new nearly 12 months ago. The SR was in run out and it had a few extra features over the Sports model like a front centre armrest.
It is quiet, roomy and solid. It is fun through the corners with direct steering, good breaks and a comfy ride.
The 1.6 has more than enough go and I'm averaging 8.4L/100km around town.
On the downside the auto is geared for economy and it feels lethargic going up hills. The cruise control can't hold it's speed going up or down hills either.
The rear visibility isn't great but I had rear parking sensors fitted for an expensive $500, but they do help making reverse parking a lot easier.
Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending this car.

BadgeSR
Date PurchasedJun 2017

Great little car

Love my new car...smooth, easy to handle, good vision all around. Interior not fussy but enough spots for coffee phone etc.
Runs on an oily rag, got the black one and it looks good, obviously needs cleaning often. Small enough to be good in sydney traffic, great pick up.

Only gripe ius i dont think the air conditioning is as powerful as other models and cardiff hyundai not really interested in re checking it but ill persist with getting this checked

BadgeSlanted h
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Accent sport 2017 model

Beautiful to drive handles really well on the road vertually no road nose, quite motor. Heaps of leg room inside the dash is set up really well, l don't have a I phone so can't use the navigation system I can live with that. Have been driving my car since early February 2018 very economical on fuel without compromising size.

BadgeGL
Date PurchasedJan 2018

I still love this car!

My partner always says I love the car more than her and the kids but it's because it's been so handy including taking supply's too and from work as the back space size is really good. The car fuel is ok but only because we wish we had gotten gas over unleaded as the price is going up and this car takes a fill every second to third week!

Date PurchasedFeb 2006

Great small car, excellent value for money

We've had the Accent for 16 months and have grown quite attached to it. We were looking for a late model used car (not a Hyundai) when my wife pointed out that a brand new Accent would actually be cheaper! Taking into account the extra money we would save through 15,000km servicing, better fuel economy and the 5 year warranty - we took the plunge with Hyundai and we aren't disappointed. Friendly service, great reliability and ongoing $avings! If you want a more powerful car with cruise control, GPS, reversing camera, extra space, you name it, then expect to pay a lot more - both up front and forever after. We paid extra to add reversing beepers and you need an iPhone so that the car stereo can provide directions and map while you drive. There are some niggles e.g. at highway speed you have less grunt for overtaking and more road noise. Taller people might find that their rear passengers have less leg room. This car isn't perfect, but it is excellent value for money.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Not Sure if Any1 else has encountered this issue. I bought a brand new Hyundai Accent Sport 2017 last year. Since day-1, i can feel the accelerator is too sensitive (comparing to my old Holden)... Whenever i try to level to a particular speed, the car jerks up & down (though the jerk is not much noticeable by other passengers in car but the driver can feel it's not smooth). I got this checked by Hyundai technicians and they responded with a comment "this is what it is. the sensors may be too sensitive but we cannot change it as the software comes via the company". I just want to check if sm1 else has also observed this?
Yes, I have found the same thing on my 2017 Accent Sport manual. When cruising at 60 Kph in 4th gear on light throttle, the engine falters and bucks slightly ( only the driver notices it and it would be very difficult to demonstrate it to a mechanic). Much more noticeable with the aircon on as it cycles on and off. I figure that it is the second cheapest new car to put on the road (after the Mirage) so you cannot expect perfection in all areas, but it does detract from driving pleasure in an otherwise great little car.Yes, so glad someone else is experiencing the same thing. I have a Sport auto and its hard to drive smoothly. It almost feels like the car has regenerative braking when you lift of the accelerator. At about 50 kph, it will also drop down a gear when you lift off the pedal. Passengers have started to notice it too, commenting that it feels like the car is surging. It's a shame as everything else about the car is great. I'm going to ask the service people if they can do something to the electronic settings in the transmission when it next gets serviced.

Any reviews for 2018 hyundai accent sports sedan?
Generally very good all over, except for a dodgy anti-shake engine mount that lasts between 30.000 and 60,000 km... but Hyundai will replace it. Needs an RWC or Service to find out... you must ASK them to check the Mounting or they may not notice! The 2018 Model Accent now uses a Hydro-Fluid Auto instead of CVT I believe... though I haven't had any trouble with the belt drive CVT - yet.

Hi Everyone, I ma gone through a lot of above mentioned reviews and are definitely useful. I have another query if any can answer that please. I live near brisbane cbd and pretty in a hilly area. I just wanted your reviews on how is the car (accent) on hills. Does it struggle or rattles while climbing on a hill? Thank you
Mine is an automatic and don't have any problems going uphill. Mine is new so I don't know how older cars performThank you for your reply..I have a an auto mid-2017 model and it handles hills well given its small engine. You won't win a race with a prado, but I'm guessing you won't expect to!

Similar listings