Hyundai i30

Hyundai i30

PD, FD and GD

Love my car!!

Amazing car! Feels so sporty and zippy to get where you need to go! I drive my car everyday, whether it be to and from work or just a casual weekend drive and it never misses a beat!

Only down fall is if you have long legs, the back seat is definitely a squeeze.

Purchased in October 2018 at Hyundai Dealers for $25,000.00.

Major Engine Failure 3 months old

I purchased a brand new 2018 SR Premium Auto in NOV18. I had the car for 3 months/3000kms until it presented major engine failure. I'm going on almost 2 months without my vehicle, firstly they thought failed coil packs, the part took a month to arrive from Korea and fit. Once the part was fitted, it did not fix the engine cutting power/surging which was unsafe to drive. They then thought injectors were the problem which were replaced a week later and that also did not fix the issue. It took 30 days for Hyundai to determine that engine had failed and would need a replacement. A replacement engine would take 3 weeks to receive the part and fit. I've kindly asked for a replacement vehicle however the colour Polar White is not available or so they say, however other dealerships state they have stock and would ask me to pay $5000 more on top of what i had already paid for my original vehicle. The dealership i purchased the car from has failed to meet to my request & i have had nothing but mixed messages. I sourced a car for my replacement but they are advising that other Hyundai dealerships do not have to transfer stock though im completely put out with the vehicles failure. Hyundai HQ is wiping their hands of me and refuses to be even slightly helpful in my lowest of moments. I hope that none of you experience a major failure with the car because your vehicle will be butchered and your faith in the brand will be lost along the way.

Purchased in November 2018 at Hyundai Dealers for $33,500.00.

Comfort

ticks all the boxes except one

I love this car, has features that are helpful like the speed camera warnings. I use the car for Ubering so fuel cost are noticeably higher. At start of refueling you can reset the mileage use per full tank, it reads around 643km but at best I get
480kms. Eco mode and normal mode makes no difference so I drive in normal to get the car's full power out of it, Eco mode restricts the acceleration resulting in cars behind are tailgating at times. Otherwise would definitely recommend this car.

Purchased in January 2019 for $25,000.00.

Peeling steering wheel

My car is used on a daily basis for private use and I am the only driver.
I haven't even done 50,000kms in my car and I am having this problem with my peeling steering wheel.
My car is serviced regularly by the same mechanic.

Purchased in March 2014 for $22,999.00.

TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS - 78,000 km's

I booked the vehicle into Challenger Ford Rockingham on 29th March 2019 for auto transmission repairs - I had covered myself with the extended warranty for 5 years at a cost of $1200. The vehicle was sent to Hyundai Service centre nearby and a new transmission valve body was fitted at a cost of $3000 (apparently... still awaiting paperwork to verify). The fault in the transmission remains according to Hyundai - they say they couldn't complete the repairs without a complete transmission overhaul or replacement - new transmission cost $9000 and overhaul approx $4000? - my $3000 claim under extended warranty has been totally used up - now I have a car (running very well I thought - until this major problem) with hassles and a real headache. Knowing what I know now I would never buy Hyundai, and do NOT buy extended warranty. It's all a bit of a game from where I sit. The matter is ongoing with Consumer Affairs.
W Smeets

Purchased in November 2017 for $13,088.00.

the best heckin car

cost of petrol is low, fast, safe and reliable. ive had my i30 for years and i love it. its a small car but you'd be surprised what you can fit in the back. its great.

Purchased in July 2016.

Good car but disappointing Hyundai Customer Care

My Hyundai I30 has done 45,000km and at its' service I noticed a paint defect (see photo) on the column behind the driver's seat. The Hyundai dealer sent photos to Hyundai and I communicated with their Customer Care as well. Two panel beaters said the defect was due to "exteranl influences" - ? rubbing. I have driven for more than 50 years and have never had this issue before. The only thing I can guess as a possible cause was the seat belt flicking back and hitting this column when released, when the car was new.
Hyundai have declined to assist me in any way. The repair will cost $150. Their attitude is disappointing as I do not feel that I have caused the defect by recklessness or lack of care.

Purchased in April 2016.

Better daily than i30n and Focus ST

So far been loving the car. Mine is the i30 SR 2018 MANUAL. Before buying it, I test drove on 3 occasions the i30N and the Focus ST as well. My main focus was to get the engaging feeling of the manual and turbo engine, but some creature comforts and tech features. I know, they are on different leagues, but all of them have the same overall interior size and Manual gearboxes.

The i30N, even in comfort mode was harsh in city driving and potholes were felt through out my spine. The pops and crackles from the exhaust were a blast, though. Very fast. The Focus ST was fun, but after 30minutes, I got sick of fighting the massive torque steer, every time I went near the throttle. Also the suspension was very much for track usage. Also very fast and such a waste on mostly city driving.

The i30SR on the other hand was very composed and grown up, like a sleeper. If you step on, it it goes, faster than you can actually use on a real-world scenario. The suspension is firm but comfortable. The shifter is notchy on the right amount and havent been tiresome on the las 11 months of daily heavy traffic usage during rush hour. On the weekends I take it to some mountain roads and have a blast on it.
Amazing all rounder. Zero complaints.

Purchased in May 2018.

Comfort

Fantastic small car, particularly for the money!

This is my second Hyundai i30. My previous car was a 2011 i30 crdi, which was a great car - very reliable, great performance (the engine's in-gear acceleration was great!), but 7 years on the time had come for an update.

This time I decided to go for petrol rather than diesel (for reasons not related to performance), and was excited to see the release of the current generation i30. However, I was also disappointed that Hyundai discriminates against manual transmission buyers by not providing any of the SmartSense safety suite on the manual Active models. Nevertheless, this year I purchased a white manual Active 2.0 petrol.

This would have to be the best equipped, most refined and comfortable car I have ever owned, with very reasonable performance, high build quality and great ergonomics. Yes, it doesn't have quite the same in-gear acceleration as the diesel (but it's close), and it is not as economical (but still reasonable - about 7-8 km/100km around town). It's also a very safe car, even without SmartSense, with a high level of passive safety gear as well as a reversing camera and rear parking sensors.

As I said, a great car for the money, and a real pleasure to drive!

Purchased in February 2019.

Perfect little car

I use this car mostly on the weekends abd got it regularly serviced. Great value for money and love the rear sensor. Looks sleek and plenty of baggage space. Great little city car and seems to be quite fuel efficient. Have no problems with this car.

Purchased in June 2017 at Hyundai Dealers for $22,000.00.

Comfort

Really Good Car for the Money!

For around $22K this is a good vehicle. Adelaide roads suck as there are metal plates just where your tyres go everywhere. I thought I would need a 4WD but the i30 does a good job generally. They say they fine-tuned the suspension for Australian conditions - seems like they probably succeeded.

There is lots of room inside the car - probably a bit like a car of old in one way - you feel like you are one a bench seat, not in your own cockpit. This is not to say the seats are not comfortable, they are, even the back seats are not too bad having travelled for some time sitting on them.

The car has good features such as the tyre pressure monitoring which has already caught a slow-leak puncture in time for me prior to a long trip. You can get some reasonable length items into the boot/car area when you lay the back and passenger front seats down. The rear-view camera is very useful for parking and plain reversing out of a park. The car has a diagnostics module that you can Bluetooth to use Hyundai apps to see all sorts of things that your vehicle is doing. The 12-month fixed cost servicing is acceptable. I am suspicious because the brake fluid changes are missing and car crews just love to invent additional things to try yo out on and get more money. They did not try it on in the first service. The 5-year warranty is good - as is the included Roadside assist.

One thing that grates is the GPS - they don't update it very often (never in the 12 months that I have had mine) and when you get outside of larger centres like Adelaide some of the smaller roads don't exist in the GPS. You have to operate a TomTom simultaneously to get serious help at times. Another is the speedometer is out by about 8-10% and I use my TomTom to give me an accurate speedo. The interesting thing about this is that your fuel consumption looks better than it is and you are actually doing less Km than is stated - by up to 10%. Hyundai are no orphan in this regard of course. Another thing that is not winning any brownie points is the delay in the auto transmission. Sometimes when you try to move off quickly the vehicle acts like it has a flat spot and just does not move as you expect it to and what it does do normally. The mechanics say that it is what it is - but it can almost be dangerous at times and I find myself saying 'Move you slug' - or words to that effect :-). It does not do this all the time - but it can be unnerving in city driving when it chooses the wrong time to do it.

The vehicle is very comfortable on long trips and the A/C works well. I was not that impressed with the after-sales service where I bought it from and found Reynella Hyundai to be really helpful and customer focused, so I now get it serviced there instead (I just don't get companies that don't understand customer service, especially when that is their core business - but that is the good thing about competition, eh!)

Cars are cars - but overall you usually need to have one, so overall I like this vehicle, it is comfortable to drive, is priced right and am not disappointed with the purchase. It is my first Hyundai anything, but at this point in its ownership cycle and my experience with it, I would probably buy another Hyundai.

Purchased in January 2018 at Adrian Brien Hyundai for $22,000.00.

Great little car!

Bought a base model 2009 SX 1.6 CRD manual last year with 104K on the clock. Now at 111K, and am more than happy with the car. Diesel engine is excellent! Plenty of power and overtakes with ease. Would recommend to anyone that wants a real fuel miser and spends more time on open highway and country roads than on city and suburban streets.

THE GOOD:
Fantastic turbo diesel mated to a more than adequate 5 speed box. Great grunt and torque for such a small motor, and amazingly efficient. Gets around low 5 L/100km regularly. Pulls like a champ up hills, cruises well. Diesel clacks at high revs, as to be expected, but quiet at lower revs, even at highway speeds. Also, no DPF in this model, and has a timing chain, not a belt, so two less things to worry about going wrong.
Interior well laid out. Roomy for a small hatch. I’m 193cm, and there is plenty of headroom. Rear legroom apparently decent even with front seats all the way back. Rear seats fold flat. Comfortable front seats, noticeably so on long trips. Lots of storage spaces - double space centre console, lidded compartments on dash and below stereo, two bottle holders, even bottle holders in both front doors. Air con in the glovebox is a nice touch

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:
With all black interior, long sloping windscreen, and zero window tinting, the car is noticeably hotter inside than any other I’ve owned. Am thinking of getting windows tinted to alleviate this.
Hyundai’s HALO locking system is annoying - doors lock above slow speeds, and the need to unlock them when stopped so rear passengers can get out is bloody stupid.
Ground clearance isn’t great, mainly due to overhanging front bumper, have hit the front tow hook several times on rougher tracks.
Handling could be better - understeering fairly prevalent when pushed too hard around bends, rear end wanders a bit over rougher surfaces.
Sticky fuel door (well documented fault in this model) makes you look like a muppet at the servo going back and forth between the driver’s door and the opposite rear quarter panel.
Air con could be stronger - needs to blow at fan speed 3 to be effective on hot days, and dash vents don’t angle down anywhere near enough.

Overall 7.5/10

Purchased in November 2019.

great reliable car

no major issues, daily transport, cheap services haven't had to replace brakes yet. it has 180000kms on the clock. Fuel economy is 7.3l per 100kms. 5 speed is under geared a 6th gear would be great on the highway.

Purchased in November 2009 for $30,000.00.

Comfort

Great little car, a few minor issues however

Traded in a 2015 Ford Focus due to the known transmission issues. Was happy to stick with Ford, however they only offered $10,000 for a car which was not even 2 years old with only 19,000Ks on the clock. Hadn’t even considered an i30, however the value for money was excellent. I purchased an i30 SR which came standard with leather seats, reversing camera, climate control, Apple CarPlay, push button start etc. While this is our second family car, it’s comfortable to drive in, even long distance trips. It does use a little more fuel than what I thought it would, however nothing of major concern. I have had a few issues with the car, one being that after a software update on my phone that when using CarPlay music would “clip” and “pop”, to the point where I couldn’t use CarPlay for music and maps. Hyundai said a software update would be released soon for this, however it took nearly a year for this to be done, and in the end I ended up receiving the update from someone off the internet, which fixed the problem right away. Second issue I had was a loud rattle from the dash, which sounded like 2 parts rubbing together. Whenever I went over a speed bump, or a slight dip in the road it sounded like the dash was smashing on the windscreen and about to crack. Took the car to Hyundai and they had it for a whole day and fixed the issue. Seems like part of the dash was rubbing on a pipe which was causing the issue. Haven’t had this noise come back since. Overall it’s a fantastic car, only wished I paid the extra $2000 and had the sunroof installed. Hyundai however were excellent with their trade in on my old Focus, offering $16,000 and with a bit of haggling back and forth, I drove away with only having to pay $10,000 out of pocket for my car, which was $29,000. This also included floor mats, tinted windows, paint protection (which I would never pay for) a full tank of fuel and a $1000 gift card. Looking at trading it in soon for maybe an SUV type of car, and while I don’t like the look of the Kona, a Tuson maybe on the cards.

BadgeSR
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Good

Perfect car , been driving almost 3 years now , engine condition is perfect , will worth it for your money , so highly recommend this for anyone , specially for beginners this will gonna be perfect car to learn how to drive as well , so thank you Hyundai

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Great car, I love it!

The 2017 I30 has proven to be a great little car, I get approximately 9L of fuel to every 100kms. The seats are comfy, it has great Bluetooth and steering wheel accessories. It shows you tyre pressures and has warning lights when they get low. I have only had one service so far and there was no issues. The only downfall I can point out is the GPS device, the issue with this is it does not recognise a lot of addresses, even addresses that are old and should be on there. Overall I would give it 4 stars (would be 5 if the GPS Was more efficient)

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Compact space efficient hatch

Good build quality and spacious cabin. The luggage area accommodates two full suit cases and back seat accommodation is spacious for this class of car. The cabin style is uninspiring, and the ergonomics from a driver perspective is not ideal. This seems to be a car you sit in rather than cosseting you in the way a Golf does. The seats are firm although reasonably supportive but I wouldn’t call it comfortable. The massive infotainment screen seems crudely designed and whilst it does have Apple CarPlay, without SatNav, the ugly screen is in an irritating intrusion into the dashboard view. The car has average economy, and seems below that of European hatches in this class, rarely getting below 7.5km/100 litres. The base petrol engine in auto form is lively, coping with Australian speed limits. but don’t expect performance motoring. Handling is second rate. This is a car that has to be navigated cautiously through corners at the recommended speed limit otherwise expect nasty handling surprises such as a tipsy feeling and ploughing into corners or sudden body lurches. Under heavy braking from speed the I30 has trouble maintaining a straight line. However, if you’re just after a no nonsense practical city car, then this car fulfils that remit well. It’s curious that Hyundai can produce a performance version of this car when the base car is so wanting dynamically.

Engine Size1.6
Date PurchasedJan 2019

perfect car

at the stage of life between being a girlfriend/wife then mum all in the next few years. This car is trendy, sleek and perfect for my years ahead. I go camping each year and pull a trailer plus I also have nephews car seats go in it and my partner takes in of road an on boys trips all the time. Below details may not be correct

BodyWagon
BadgeElite
Date PurchasedAug 2017

The best small car ever!

I absolutely love my Hyundai i30 SR - i use this daily to get to and from work and interstate when visiting family,
I have no issues - the turbo in this gets my vote
it looks and feels good to drive and i highly recommend this to everyone that ask about it.

BadgeSR
Date PurchasedApr 2018

Very Good Car

We were looking into a medium sized car and were tossing up between the I30 and a Cruze SRIV.
All i can say is i am glad i chose the I30. Its my wife's car she uses everyday for work and to run the kids around, its very comfortable, good on fuel and has plenty of space for a car this size.
It is also the family car as i have a work car and we have had no issues piling in all our stuff for family holidays.
One of the best things is all the storage pockets for the driver and passenger. I did have a small issue with the Apple car play but Hyundai fixed it straight away with no issues.
Would have no problems recommending this car to anyone.

BadgeActive X