Hyundai i30

great reliable car

no major issues, daily transport, cheap services haven't had to replace brakes yet. it has 180000kms on the clock. Fuel economy is 7.3l per 100kms. 5 speed is under geared a 6th gear would be great on the highway.

Purchased for $30,000.00.

Interior Design
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Great little car, a few minor issues however

Traded in a 2015 Ford Focus due to the known transmission issues. Was happy to stick with Ford, however they only offered $10,000 for a car which was not even 2 years old with only 19,000Ks on the clock. Hadn’t even considered an i30, however the value for money was excellent. I purchased an i30 SR which came standard with leather seats, reversing camera, climate control, Apple CarPlay, push button start etc. While this is our second family car, it’s comfortable to drive in, even long distance trips. It does use a little more fuel than what I thought it would, however nothing of major concern. I have had a few issues with the car, one being that after a software update on my phone that when using CarPlay music would “clip” and “pop”, to the point where I couldn’t use CarPlay for music and maps. Hyundai said a software update would be released soon for this, however it took nearly a year for this to be done, and in the end I ended up receiving the update from someone off the internet, which fixed the problem right away. Second issue I had was a loud rattle from the dash, which sounded like 2 parts rubbing together. Whenever I went over a speed bump, or a slight dip in the road it sounded like the dash was smashing on the windscreen and about to crack. Took the car to Hyundai and they had it for a whole day and fixed the issue. Seems like part of the dash was rubbing on a pipe which was causing the issue. Haven’t had this noise come back since. Overall it’s a fantastic car, only wished I paid the extra $2000 and had the sunroof installed. Hyundai however were excellent with their trade in on my old Focus, offering $16,000 and with a bit of haggling back and forth, I drove away with only having to pay $10,000 out of pocket for my car, which was $29,000. This also included floor mats, tinted windows, paint protection (which I would never pay for) a full tank of fuel and a $1000 gift card. Looking at trading it in soon for maybe an SUV type of car, and while I don’t like the look of the Kona, a Tuson maybe on the cards.

BadgeSR
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Good

Perfect car , been driving almost 3 years now , engine condition is perfect , will worth it for your money , so highly recommend this for anyone , specially for beginners this will gonna be perfect car to learn how to drive as well , so thank you Hyundai

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Great car, I love it!

The 2017 I30 has proven to be a great little car, I get approximately 9L of fuel to every 100kms. The seats are comfy, it has great Bluetooth and steering wheel accessories. It shows you tyre pressures and has warning lights when they get low. I have only had one service so far and there was no issues. The only downfall I can point out is the GPS device, the issue with this is it does not recognise a lot of addresses, even addresses that are old and should be on there. Overall I would give it 4 stars (would be 5 if the GPS Was more efficient)

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Compact space efficient hatch

Good build quality and spacious cabin. The luggage area accommodates two full suit cases and back seat accommodation is spacious for this class of car. The cabin style is uninspiring, and the ergonomics from a driver perspective is not ideal. This seems to be a car you sit in rather than cosseting you in the way a Golf does. The seats are firm although reasonably supportive but I wouldn’t call it comfortable. The massive infotainment screen seems crudely designed and whilst it does have Apple CarPlay, without SatNav, the ugly screen is in an irritating intrusion into the dashboard view. The car has average economy, and seems below that of European hatches in this class, rarely getting below 7.5km/100 litres. The base petrol engine in auto form is lively, coping with Australian speed limits. but don’t expect performance motoring. Handling is second rate. This is a car that has to be navigated cautiously through corners at the recommended speed limit otherwise expect nasty handling surprises such as a tipsy feeling and ploughing into corners or sudden body lurches. Under heavy braking from speed the I30 has trouble maintaining a straight line. However, if you’re just after a no nonsense practical city car, then this car fulfils that remit well. It’s curious that Hyundai can produce a performance version of this car when the base car is so wanting dynamically.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

perfect car

at the stage of life between being a girlfriend/wife then mum all in the next few years. This car is trendy, sleek and perfect for my years ahead. I go camping each year and pull a trailer plus I also have nephews car seats go in it and my partner takes in of road an on boys trips all the time. Below details may not be correct

BodyWagon
BadgeElite
Date PurchasedAug 2017

The best small car ever!

I absolutely love my Hyundai i30 SR - i use this daily to get to and from work and interstate when visiting family,
I have no issues - the turbo in this gets my vote
it looks and feels good to drive and i highly recommend this to everyone that ask about it.

BadgeSR
Date PurchasedApr 2018

Very Good Car

We were looking into a medium sized car and were tossing up between the I30 and a Cruze SRIV.
All i can say is i am glad i chose the I30. Its my wife's car she uses everyday for work and to run the kids around, its very comfortable, good on fuel and has plenty of space for a car this size.
It is also the family car as i have a work car and we have had no issues piling in all our stuff for family holidays.
One of the best things is all the storage pockets for the driver and passenger. I did have a small issue with the Apple car play but Hyundai fixed it straight away with no issues.
Would have no problems recommending this car to anyone.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Very ordinary car

Bought the car for Mrs. who liked the fixed price servicing. Turns out we got duded with that, told it was 5-years, no mention of 40,000k so gave Hyundai the flick as far as servicing went. It's got 135,000k's and has made the weird wind up noise on start since day one. Nothing to see here according to Hyundai. Engine knocks when cold, gets better when hot. As a country car the brakes are excellent, pads and rotors still like new. Carpets, seats etc very poor quality, carpet shows wear even though its had mats since day 1. Radio works like Windoze, when it feels like it. Steering is vague to say the least, bloody awful electric system. Engine lost the new car pep very quickly, a bit sluggish now but can still hold highway speeds OK. Economy about 6L per 100 highway. Front end developed thump at 1500k but hasn't worsened. All springs have sagged a LOT. Going to drive it into the ground, resale is zilch with the low cost of the new models. Would NEVER buy another Hyundai and have had success convincing family and friends to look at other makes. I call it the mobile blind spot, but I guess all hatches are the same.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

2018 SR Premium PD2

On Tuesday 06 November 2018 night something in the front suspension dramatically failed whilst I was driving along.

It is a new 2018 - I30 SR Premium with 3000kms on it and
purchased on 02 October 2018.

There was no warning ⚠️. It just went bang!

The vehicle was towed to Hyundai as a result.

I have now been informed that the front passenger suspension has failed.

I am extremely concerned that the structural integrity of this vehicle is now questioned.

If I had been driving along the motorway at 110km the result could have been quite different.

For a new vehicle to have such a dramatic failure in the suspension is unacceptable.

All I30 owners should be made aware of the possible fault.

It could have caused an accident!

So you could be sitting on a ticking time bomb that could go off without warning like mine did.
Modify message

BadgeSR Premium
Date PurchasedSep 2018

Great car that went the distance

I bought my 2009 i30 new. It is a 2L manual. I averaged around 500-600kms per week for the last 5 years and it is now just at around 220,000. I have maintained regular services, oil checks, tire pressure etc. so it has been well maintained over the last 10 years, but nothing crazy or out of the ordinary. It has been a great car and has taken me on epic road trips all along the east coast and inland Australia, as well as my heavy daily driving. It has been reliable and fairly low in surprise maintenance until it hit the 200,000 mark (which to me seems completely reasonable).

A couple of fixes needed along the way:
- It needed a new clutch at around the 6 year mark (maybe around 100,000). The mechanic told me it was a know fault for the clutch to wear quickly in these cars, but I am fully aware that I was never taught to drive a manual 'properly' and often rode the clutch around corners. A bad habit I have since fixed, so not sure if it can be put down to the car itself. No issues since.
- The mechanics in the drivers window needed to be replaced twice. Again, I was told this is a fault in the cars.
- At around 180,000 the steering wheel started to 'knock' and clunk. I have been told this is the steering column needing to be replaced and (again) this is an issue in the make of the car. Full disclosure, I haven't gotten it fixed yet, it does not appear to impact the steering, but I am aware that it is better to fix it than ignore it.

Once I hit the 200,000k mark the car just generally started to wear. Other than the cost to replace the steering column, the aircon has just gradually degraded and I have had two of the major pipes fixed, and now need a third under the dash replaced. These odds and ends repairs are just getting closer together and the cost is starting to cancel out the value of the car, so time for an upgrade. I would happily get the steering column fixed in the hope it would keep on rolling for another few years, but then the aircon went and a few smaller things happened, just indicating that these unexpected maintenance costs were going to just keep coming now that the car is so well used.

I only write the issues to share what could be expected if you purchase one of these down the track. Honestly though, up to the 180,000 mark this car was an utter dream and great value for money. I'm sad to be saying goodbye.

BadgeSE
Date PurchasedNov 2009

i30 is Ok..well sort of

Our i30 is three years old with around 170000ks on her now so she gets used a lot..The front seats used to be comfortable but now are just about unbearable Im looking at fitting a couple of after market seats or retro fitting higher level i30 seats from a wrecker,the stereo has just died and I was informed the stereo only has 3 years warranty......No five year warranty there. must be in the fine print...The clutch developed a vibration which was bad....New clutch fitted..3000 plus dollars...not covered by warranty either apparently clutches are treated like brake pads....though I've never had a clutch go bad so quick after all shes not a truck and doing hard work and the kilometers are all highway no stop start driving...and I'm to old to be a hoon.....The five year warranty is pie in the sky in my opinion same as the unlimited kilometers...after 120000 ks Hyundai treat their vehicles as high mileage machines...

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Great car but still can be improved!

I bought this car brand new in 2016. It’s great little car with lots of boot space and leg rooms. But not enough power and torque!! On the highway and up the hill with 3 adults on board this car really short of breath! And the road noise from the tyre is little annoying. Apart from this two issues, it’s a fantastic car.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

This is a great, compact, and reliable car

We purchased the 2014 model of this car a few weeks ago and so far love it. We mainly use it for town driving, but occasionally take longer jaunts out to the coast. It handles well on windy roads. It is pretty fuel efficient as well, although there are better (smaller) cars out there with better fuel efficiency. Overall, its comfortable and reliable.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Great car

I love my i30, great price for a small car. I got my i30 in 2015 and have no problems. I use my car every day to commuting to work and for Leslie’s activities on the weekends. Cheap to run & comes with 5 year warranty and cap servicing. Would highly recommend the i30.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Diesel engine died at 61,000 k.

74 y/old pensioner, use it around town. Pulled up at lights, and while waiting, heard a slight klunk, klunk from the motor. Went around the corner to my service place and asked the lads to check it out. Walked home. got phone call 5 hours later, called back and this is what I found. The slipper bearings at number 3 piston had collapsed. Five grand for a motor, (incl.) labour.. I WILL be in touch MR. HYUNDAI.

November 28th 2018 Update: Further on the diesel Hyundai i30 with the destroyed crankshaft, conrod, and bearings.

I wrote Hyundai in Sydney, they are SO arrogant to customers, they didn`t even answer my letter, just returned my camera card with a plain piece of paper. I wrote Slater & Gordon (allegedly the toughest in the business.) Same result as from Huyndai. Dunno where to go next. I`m telling Australia this to let you all know of the power of multi national cockheads, who come here, sell us their Korean KRAP, and treat us all like trash. Fred Harbas.

January 6th 2019 Update: Continuation of my experience with Hyundai

It has become the joy of my 74 years to know that almost 5000 people have read my review, and I KNOW that the way I was treated by the company has turned many folk off this marque.
I have lost $5000 in rectifying their factory fault, but i`m sure that their loss is much greater

BadgeCD-Ri
Date PurchasedJun 2018

AMAZING FIRST CAR

I purchased this car as my first ever car. It is smooth, reliable and very durable for a first-time car owner. This car has never given me issues. The interior is next level for a 2013 model. I use this car everyday, and no issues have been presented thus far.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

What is the five year warranty about.

Purchased a new 2018 Hyundai I30, not four months old yet. Washing it the other day I noticed a crack in the plastic surround in the handle of the tailgate. Rang the dealer where I purchased it, Lakes Hyundai, Qld. Was told that I would have to bring it in and have it looked at to see if it was covered by warranty. If it was, I would then have to wait until they got the part, then go back to have it fitted. Trip to Lakes Hyundai from my home one hour. Rang another Hyundai dealer, this one told me that the same plastic surround was cracking on a lot of 2018 I30'S and they might recall them for this. Not good all around, part should be purchased by the dealer straight away and fitted by them when they get it. When I told a person at Lakes Hyundai that I was an hour away from the dealership he told me that I should look for a closer dealer. What does the five year warranty really cover.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Enjoying the vehicle

We purchased the car due to needing a runabout rather than rely on the family vehicle. We haven't been disappointed. Cheap on fuel, travels well. Suits the drops offs and pick ups along with taking the kids to their after school and weekend activities. Nothing but praise. Enjoy the experience.

Engine Size1.0
Date PurchasedAug 2018

Reliable and cheap to service

I bought a diesel i30 wagon after a few friends recommended one. I wasn’t disappointed. I’ve now had it for 4 and a half years and done 100K km. The servicing is so cheap. The stock brakes even lasted until the 75K km service.
It was so great that my wife also bought thehatvhbaxk version the following year

BodyWagon