Kia Cerato S Hatch 1.8ltr

What a fantastic car, 6 speed auto and has grunt. Much better then a corolla for the price I saved $4k ! and is a better car for same age comparison. I do around 55,000k's per year and has now 142,000k's being 3 years old. It has never skipped a beat and is becoming better each day with age. the cost of servcing vs my horrific VW that cost me about $7k a year on constant issues the service centres are horrible all on own terms such as wait months for a booking ( $80.00 ) for them to look at it then another booking to fix. I cannot recommend Brian Hilton Kia enough. I will certainly be purchasing another Kia soon. No head unit issues and to be honest those with 2.0 who reported issues ( for the money you saved from other cars in category go buy a mad unit head ) and still save so much your ahead no matter what.

Purchased at Kia Dealers for $17,990.00.

Great value for money

I’ve had my Kia Cerrado for 14 months and with a driveaway price of just under $21,000 which included a reversing camera and a software upgrade to having GPS, the value is outstanding. I’ve driven around town, on country roads and 1200 km round trip‘s and not only is it economical, the handling is beautiful. I have the hatch which has a very generous boot. It’s one of the best cars i’ve ever owned in my 40+ years of driving.

Purchased at Mike Blewitt Kia Coffs Harbour for $20,900.00.

Comfort

Raptured Air Conditioner Hose.

2017 Kia Cerato Auto Hatch with AV pack. Had it for 2 years and just done 45000km service. Last week as i was driving on the freeway i heard a loud noise then i saw lots of white smoke coming from under the bonnet. I quickly pulled over and opened the bonnet and i found that the Air conditioning hose was cut by the engine belt and there is a cut on the hose as a result all the coolant have escaped from the system. Later that day i had no choice but to drive from Sydney to Kempsey in 38 degree heat without aircon. Upon close inspection by my mechanic this is clearly a design fault as you can see that the hose is just about 30-40mm away from the belt and it is not very secured at all! Car has been booked for inspection by local kia dealer so lets see how their 7 years warranty work out.
Conclusion, yes this is a well equipped car for the price and yes it drive and handles really good but clearly they didn't put much resources into engineering. My other car is a 2005 Mazda 6 with 140000km and nothing is wrong with the car at all for the past 5 year since i bought it second hand.

Purchased at Kia Dealers for $19,899.00.

Great Car love it but...

Car drives beautifully, most comfortable by far but .... the drivers visor obstructs the full view of my rear vision mirror. It's annoying that most times I can't see if the visor is down to shade the sun from obstructing my view but either way my full vision is obstructed.

Purchased for $25,000.00.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)

Kia Cerato My19 Radio Issues

Having a problem with the radio just drops in and out for no reason car can be stationery. I have taken back to Kia who advised that the digital radio is not as good as analog. Not happy with answer anyone lease had this issue?

Purchased .

Fuel Efficiency

Car is great to drive but service and Kia warranty not all that it is cracked up to be

Driving cerato TD Koup. Car is great to drive and if looked after finish can be kept close to as new. My car does only outer urban drives. My Koup developed oil leaks at 15000 kilometres. I took it to dealer three times, first two times they said it was just the breaking down “protective grease” that is applied for shipping. Third time found sump and block had uneven fitment and seal to gear box was leaking which in turn had significantly corroded drive shaft and contaminated clutch assembly. The car was kept off road at dealer for 10 weeks whilst waiting for Kia warranty approval and parts to be delivered. Gear box got new seal, shaft and clutch assembly and sump was dealer recommend for patch up to contain leak. At 30000 the rear shocks failed. These took 3 weeks to rectify via warranty. During fixed price servicing events I arrived to pick up car and find that additional charges had been added for “wear and tear” items, for example the entire throttle body air intake assembly at 45000 kms, an item that usually has a minimum life of 160000 km in urban conditions. The dealer no doubt seeking a bit of extra $ on the parts. Or being charged $50 above the fixed price for standard servicing. On both occasions I challenge the costs and they were reversed but I do question a car manufacturers value set when these things happen. More recently and while the car was under warranty a slight squeal could be heard from front of car whilst under acceleration. This was reported twice to dealer service. On first time the dealer said they thought it tyre noise and on replacing tyres said they didn’t know. On last servicing car the dealer says the idler pulley and tensioner is faulty ( that was the squeal) and that sump leaked patched up in 2014 which may have been leaking for a couple of years needs fixing. Car out of 5 year warranty by a year so expectation is that owner pays $2000
I contacted Kia customer service who advised its too bad and my problem.

So here is my suggestion when buying a Kia. Get it in writing that warranty repairs will be completed within a fixed timeframe. One week is more than sufficient.
When getting the car serviced and when reporting warranty items, demand that the service receipt clearly states the warranty issue reported and that Kia service document exactly what they have done to rectify.
Be prepared to argue that warranty items are not wear and tear. For example my shock aborbers failed at 30000 and the dealer first argued it was wear and tear.
Don’t agree to patch ups. If a fault should be fixed with new parts then demand that new parts are used. I should have done this with sump leak and now Kia and dealer say repairs are covered for one year only.
Know that parts have a life range, low to high. My experience is that Kia parts on my car have failed at the lower end of the range.

Purchased for $24,000.00.

Can't go wrong with it

Been driving my Cerato since mid-2017 (2018 model) and it's been an absolute gem. Basic model but with the entertainment system upgrade (bigger screen, reversing camera etc.). It's a zippy car that really takes off the second you step on the accelerator, while the other cars next to you are still 'thinking' what gear they should be in - I'm guessing because the Cerato is NOT DCT/CVT. The aircon is cool and powerful. The ride is smooth, comfortable and quiet. The entertainment system alone deserves 5 stars, as it can play VIDEOS, as well as very long mp3 files - which it lets you skip to any part by a simple touch on the screen. The speakers and in-built amp are amazing, you get better sound in this $20,000 car than most expensive cars with the exception of BMW and Volvo. The reversing camera is very clear with a beautiful picture and color coded lines to guide you. Comes with front and back sensors standard, while other makes only include back sensors unless you go for the luxury model. You even get expandable sun visors! Best of all, it's extremely reliable, it's had no mechanical/ electrical problems and no nags or recalls. KIA service has been excellent, friendly people and nice lounges.

The only thing I can find fault is the ergonomics which Kia/Hyundai still haven't got right after all these years. The seats are not the most comfortable and the headrests are outright UNCOMFORTABLE as they push your head down and forward. This can be fixed by reversing them, but that can't be too good in a crash. There are no other negatives though, excellent car, great value for money, you get much more enjoyment out of it than most $50,000+ cars/SUVS.

Purchased at Kia Dealers for $19,990.00.

Ok, but thirsty.

My 2009 Sli was comfortable, beautiful and well finished, but the car was very thirsty.

Also, some little weird noises, and little issues, like: it blows the headlight bulbs a lot. I also had to replace parts more often then my Japanese cars.

Purchased at Subaru Dealers for $7,500.00.

BoughtUsed

Great City Car

I use the car daily as I drive for Uber. I drive around 35,000 per year. I get the car regularly serviced as per the log book and haven’t had any issues with the car. Easy to drive - GPS and Bluetooth enhance safe driving. Only use 98 Unleaded petrol for maximum kms and economy. Great little car!

BadgeSLi
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

2019 Kia Cerato Sedan Sports +

Overall happy with the car. But the radio drops out at times and the navigation GPS could be a lot better, it wont accept address` at times. We are told it is a software issue, still waiting for the update. should be better in a new car. Shouldn`t have to wait.

BadgeSport+
Date PurchasedSep 2018

Outstanding example of motoring value, safety, live-ability and satisfaction

I was looking to replace my 2010 Ford Fiesta with a comfortable and slightly larger daily driver. It needed to be big enough so when my 2 children (currently 8 and 5) sit in the back, they have enough room to be comfortable, but also as I plan on keeping the vehicle for 5+ years, it will need to be big enough for them as they continue to grow like weeds. I was very focused on ease of use features, like adaptive cruise control, AEB, Lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, reversing camera, rear cross traffic alert, Sat Nav, Android Auto ETC. The Sport + I think represents outstanding value across the board. The 2.0 litre natually aspirated engine delivery smooth and responsive power (considerable better than the Impreza I had it pitted against). The leather interior is very comfortable and stylish, and the outstanding 8.0 infotainment system is very responsive, easy to use and see. The car is soo easy to drive, a very nicely balanced 6 speed auto transmission delivers very very close to the ticketed 7.2-7.4L/100Km advertised on the sticker. It looks amazing in white, and even though I've not applied any tint as yet, it keeps reasonably cool, even over the 35+ brisbane day's we've had over the recent weeks. I'm still early into the ownership, but so far, with the 7 year warranty, the dealer discounts on the capped price servicing, the very reasonable entry price, and the very stylish new look of the BD version, I couldn't be happier.

Cons so far really only as follows:
Boot liner looks a bit flimsy (the part that sits on top of the tyre). I can see this possibly deteriorating?
Boot it a bit fiddly to close, needs a bit of force, if you close it gently to catch, it kind of just bounces (but nothing you can't get used to)

Officially in love with it, very much looking forward to years of trouble free motoring.

BadgeSport+
Date PurchasedNov 2018

So hott

Bought this car 2 weeks ago, it runs so smoothly and has an amazing interior and exterior. It's absolutely stunning. The steering is very smooth and fun to drive in. Very homely vibes. The only downside on the basic model is no reverse camera. Was made in 2016, so its expected to have a camera.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Terrible customer service

Car Dealers are OK but Kia customer service over the phone is terrible. Never listen to customer and rude.
Problem with cars
- Radio and reversing camera had problem from first day.
- recently been Kia Moorooka and find out front tyres are gone. I do have deep concern about the quality of the tyre. They said they not manufacturing the tyre buy from someone. Reducls answer from Kia manager.
Please buy some quality Japanese brand. You pay little extra at initial stage but worth quality and service.
Good Luck

BadgeSport Edition
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Weird Problems

My Kia has blown a ridiculous number of headlight bulbs since purchase. I've become quiet good at pulling out the front end and replacing blubs. I asked for this problem to be fixed under warranty and left the car for a day. When I returned I was told there is nothing wrong with the electrics and was charged for the labour for wasting their time. And so I continue to blow one bulb after the other. NOT HAPPY.
I have also had the 'safety' feature disabled which allows the car to lock you out while it is sitting with the engine running. Living on a property out west I have to open gates before getting onto public roads. More than once I had my door blow shut, the car lock itself, and I've been left to walk back to the house for a spare key. My handbag and phone were inside the car of course, and it was several miles in the middle of summer. I'm 60 and not well. NOT HAPPY.
I won't even start on the boot that rarely opens or the windscreen wipers that only kind of work. Won't buy another. Warranty doesn't mean much. But it IS good on fuel.

Badge$0
Date PurchasedDec 2010

Excellent, comfortable, efficient, easy to drive and park.

Wonderful family sedan. Used every day, so easy to drive and park.
Regularly cleaned and serviced. So far no problems. Very comfortable car.
There is plenty of boot space, including provision for lowering the back seat for larger items.
Air conditioner easily keeps up with the heat on an above 35 degree day.

Badge18000
Date PurchasedApr 2017

infotain sucks

i had same issue here... now waiting for KIA dealer to deal on mybehalf.. they said mine 5 years only, seem mine got letter say Feb 2014 i got this Jul 2013
a bit weird KIA... so upset.. sat nav stop working so the reverse camera image
nah radio 1 channel only... the rest hang.. so hope the dealer NOBLE KIA can help to resolve the issue even after they said warranty expired..7 years warranty new one only 3 years for infotain and 1 year for all LED lights unit, door panel 3 months or 6 months depending on the problem.. watch out fellow KIA buyer

BadgeSLi
Date PurchasedJul 2013
finally Noble KIA solve the issue with free replacement unit no warranty as free replacement for compliment..including apple car play or android car play... i believe any issue Noble KIA will help depending the circumstances.. Paul is the service manager can help.. I appreciate his help.. :) now waiting for fitting to my car as I can not wait till fitting into my car hope before xmas cheers

Large, well built, comfortable and very fuel efficient.

Purchased this as an ex fleet vehicle last week. 2016 model. The vehicle had only done about 51,000 k's when i picked it up but i only do about 9,000 a year. Private use only. It seemed to be pretty well looked after. First the transmission. I've never driven one of these before now, but i couldn't believe the seamless gear changes. You can barely feel them. It hasn't hunted for the right cog either. I was surprised just how much grunt the 112 kw donk has. No lack of it if you give it a bootful. The hatch has an incredible amount of space. The tyres that are on it are ok, but I'll replace them with something better when the time comes. Road noise is minimal. The factory audio in this is very good and as yet, I've had no problems. Some people have stated that they are having issues with theirs. I haven't used the Cruise or Bluetooth yet so i can't comment on them. The digital and analogue speedo's both correspond with each other, so i'll have to presume that they are correct. The seats are comfortable but the passenger side sits a bit low. I would guess they are all like that in the base model. I took it for a run to Caboolture and back from Bracken Ridge yesterday and the trip meter just dropped down to 5 litres per 100 klm's or 20 kpl. That is approx 56 mpg on standard unleaded. 2,000 RPM in 6th at 100 kph. That's 900 RPM less than my old manual Fiesta in 5th at the same speed. Approx 7.2 kpl around town. All of these figures are better than my old 2013 Fiesta manual. That's exceptional for a bigger and more powerful car. Brakes are very good but i will have them independently checked to check the wear. Transmissions in these have no service time. Basically sealed for life, but i checked with Kia and they told me, only under very, very severe operating conditions does the fluid have to be replaced. Even states in the handbook, don't even worry about it if it looks a bit off colour. Some reports on YouTube show that flushing the system can even damage it, so i'll leave it alone. If it lasts the 7 year warranty period, i'm happy. Being an ex fleet it only has 150,000 klm warranty, but that's no problem. Everything works at the moment and at least i can turn that accursed traction control off on this. It's even got a temperature gauge. Electric power steering is well weighted and is not quite as direct as the old Fiesta, which means i'm not constantly over correcting like i was with the other one. Rear leg room is excellent. New Cerato's no longer have a full sized spare. Thankfully, this one does and a CD player. The spark plug intervals should be 60,000 and not 45,000 unless you want to put Iridium in. Servicing costs should be kept to a minimum being every 15,000klms. If you want to purchase your own parts, ebay can be a very useful tool, especially with filters. One final thing. I prefer to purchase an ex fleet vehicle with a few more klms on it. At 50,000, this suggests to me that the company has had no problems and that is why they've kept it a little longer. More later. Update:: After a while, i noticed a rattle around the hatch area. Do you think i could find it? Pulled everything out the back, twice. Still there. Checked back seats, even the number plate surround. Still there. So, i thought, i wonder. Shut the hatch and pushed the bottom of it up and down and i could hear a slight noise. Make no mistakes with weird noises from cars. Sound travels. Although i had a rough idea where it was coming from, it turned out it wasn't. Every time i went over a speed bump, creak creak. I guessed and it payed off. I saturated the hatch struts and the locking mechanism with CRC. I even tightened the rubber stops on the hatch lid. Shut the hatch, went 'round the back and gave it a couple of pushes and lo and behold, gone. Took it over the same speed bumps several times. Gone. It could have been any one of the above mentioned things, but i tend to think i jagged it. I put this up because i read somewhere that someone else had a rattle in the back they couldn't find. While i'm on it, the insurance on this is cheaper than my old 2013 Fiesta. I got an $18 refund when i transferred the policy. Approx $262 through NRMA. Also, thank god it's got a chain and not a belt. Edit:: I have had no problem with the Cruise control at any speed. Accurate to the nth degree. Edit::: My only real gripe is the passenger seat sits very low. I would think they'd all be the same.

Purchased .

BoughtUsed

Good for the money.

For the money you can't go wrong. Long warranty and looks pretty good too. Two years old almost with 50k on the clock. Had some minor issues with the volume control on the steering wheel, minor rear main leak (Kia to be informed next service) and terrible cruise control consistency. Second one I have personally cone across. Despite these little niggles, great affordable family car or commuter.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

2013 YD 1.8L — Great car

I've had this car now for 2 years and she's a beauty. Good reliable engine and quality build all round. Would definitely buy a Kia again based on this experience. Picked up the Cerato for about $14K in Nov 2016 — pretty much exactly 3 years old with 28,000kms on the odometer. I've reached 60,000kms now and no mechanical breakdowns. I bet you can get a better deal now on this version of the Cerato. I still have manufacturers warranty until 2020! Only minor issues like the cruise control speed set rocker sticking a little bit, and occasionally problems connecting the bluetooth with my phone, other than that I can't think of anything wrong with it. The 1.8L engine is actually very powerful for the size too, I get more power than I did in my old 2.0L 2004 Elantra. Worth a look at buying if you find one with low kms and/or at a good price.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Entertainment System has Issues

I bought my Cerato in March 2017. The price and 7 year warranty were the biggest attractions for us. Great car to drive, very comfortable and economic.

However, we have had 3 entertainment systems so far. It turns itself on and off, extremely staticy phone calls (it sounds perfect on the drivers end but shocking on the receivers end), no volume comes through at certain times, the camera turns itself off in the middle of reversing..

Kia has wiped their hands of it and told me I was the only one in all of Australia with the issue. Blamed me and said I must’ve been doing something wrong or that it was all down to phone reception even though I had video evidence of it happening. This has been the biggest disappointment for me and has definitely put me off ever buying through Kia again.

BadgeSport Edition