DIASAPPOINTING RELIABILITY AND SERVICE

We have been very disappointed with the service of and reliability of our 2014 Kia Cerato despite being bought from and serviced by the same local agent from new.
So far we have had:
1) Loose front strut, coincidentally after a wheel alignment was carried out, although the dealer said it was not a result of the alignment.
2) Gearbox leak after the same service, which took three visits to cure. We were finally told it was due to corroded stainless steel pipes. If stainless had can they corrode?
3) Rattle and resonance from the rear. Rear exhaust has been replaced.
4) Centre Locking – still intermittently does not open the boot or rear doors when switching off. We have to use the remote control to open them.
5) Lumpy idle/tickover in neutral– still there but clears when put into drive.

This all on a car which has done less than 40,000km in 5years, is used as a second car and garaged.
It’s coming up to its 5 year warranty expiry and we are wonder how we are going get the remaining faults rectified.

Purchased in June 2014 for $20,500.00.

Reliable, comfortable bargain

Bought a 3.5 year old auto in mid 2018 for $10,800. It still had 3.5 years of warranty. It's been perfect: drives well, adequate power, no mechanical issues. Fuel efficiency good not excellent. Really good value for money. We have the hatch and the ability to fold down 1, 2 or 3 seats is great for transporting stuff. This car is small but spacious, with leg room more than adequate for rear occupants.

Purchased in July 2018 for $10,800.00.

124K and Big End Bearing Failed

Kia Cerato Koup TD MY11 brought at 58000km
Used as a commuter/daily been a great car and a joy to drive, serviced regularly due to being used as a daily commuter to work.

Firstly the seats soo comfortable, plenty of room for 4 tall adults head room including, ergonomically nothing is out of reach, steering is sharp and on point, best to fit a sportier tyre (they sure do make a difference) vision is great but the passenger side pillar is a bit of a blind spot, aircon falls short due to lack of air flow especially on Australias 40+ days
an absolute fantastic daily drive no doubt.

But...

Now the vehicle has had its 8th birthday the end is near, for the last couple of weeks it has been making a knocking noise in the bottom end, it has only clocked 123,000km which is causing a rough idle and a slight stutter on acceleration.
As I love this car amd have had it parked up for a week I finally got it checked into the dealership today and have been given the unfortunate news that the cause is a big end bearing. A common issue for the Thea II engine as I have found out...

Cost for a replacement engine is around 6k installed. As to say I am very disappointed with the Kia brand.
Why build an amazing car aesthetically and ergonomically, only to give it an achilles heel in the way of a cheap, nasty unreliable engine. Life span should be around 250k and I haven't even got half that Not Happy

No amount of plastic, trim and buttons can make up for a poorly manufactured engine. Thus I would not recommend any Thea powered cars, do yourself a favour and Stay well away.

Purchased in February 2015.

TransmissionManual

AMAZING CAR!!!!

+Interior
+Features
+PRICE 31, 990 IS AMAZING
+VERY FUN
+Quality
+Safety
+Extremely spacious considering physical exterior size.
+EVERYTHING BUT

-Noise is fake and could still be a bit louder
-Not my favorite exterior but still nice
-I want to be able to use sport mode even without going into sequential mode.
-Rear seating area could be improved (air con is weak, no charging ports, rear doors are all hard plastic)
-I think Kia could still get more HP and torque out of the engine.

All the -'s are little niggles that I REALLY do not care about. We do about 10-15k a year, mainly short to medium commute's with the odd long distance commutes. To prove reliability, every single problem we have with the car I will update the review to include. But I doubt I should have that much trouble, seems well made and quality is good so reliability will hopefully good. If you want a bit more oomph and something a little special and with a huge feature's list and just generally being a very good car all round for the price please consider this, especially over it's competitors that I have seen, test-driven.

Purchased in March 2019 at Sunshine Kia for $31,990.00.

TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)
Comfort

Best value for your money

I paid 27k aud for sports plus safety pack.. I believe it's best value of money as it got fully loaded features like lane change control, steering assist , hill start assist, blind spot monitoring, forward and backward park assist , leather seats, air bags, navigator, posh steering controls, cruise control, 3 drive modes and much more to offer..

Purchased in February 2019 for $27,200.00.

TransmissionSemi-Automatic

Kia Cerato S Hatch 1.8ltr

What a fantastic car, 6 speed auto and has grunt. Much better then a corolla for the price I saved $4k ! and is a better car for same age comparison. I do around 55,000k's per year and has now 142,000k's being 3 years old. It has never skipped a beat and is becoming better each day with age. the cost of servcing vs my horrific VW that cost me about $7k a year on constant issues the service centres are horrible all on own terms such as wait months for a booking ( $80.00 ) for them to look at it then another booking to fix. I cannot recommend Brian Hilton Kia enough. I will certainly be purchasing another Kia soon. No head unit issues and to be honest those with 2.0 who reported issues ( for the money you saved from other cars in category go buy a mad unit head ) and still save so much your ahead no matter what.

Purchased in June 2016 at Kia Dealers for $17,990.00.

Great value for money

I’ve had my Kia Cerrado for 14 months and with a driveaway price of just under $21,000 which included a reversing camera and a software upgrade to having GPS, the value is outstanding. I’ve driven around town, on country roads and 1200 km round trip‘s and not only is it economical, the handling is beautiful. I have the hatch which has a very generous boot. It’s one of the best cars i’ve ever owned in my 40+ years of driving.

Purchased in August 2016 at Mike Blewitt Kia Coffs Harbour for $20,900.00.

Comfort

Raptured Air Conditioner Hose.

2017 Kia Cerato Auto Hatch with AV pack. Had it for 2 years and just done 45000km service. Last week as i was driving on the freeway i heard a loud noise then i saw lots of white smoke coming from under the bonnet. I quickly pulled over and opened the bonnet and i found that the Air conditioning hose was cut by the engine belt and there is a cut on the hose as a result all the coolant have escaped from the system. Later that day i had no choice but to drive from Sydney to Kempsey in 38 degree heat without aircon. Upon close inspection by my mechanic this is clearly a design fault as you can see that the hose is just about 30-40mm away from the belt and it is not very secured at all! Car has been booked for inspection by local kia dealer so lets see how their 7 years warranty work out.
Conclusion, yes this is a well equipped car for the price and yes it drive and handles really good but clearly they didn't put much resources into engineering. My other car is a 2005 Mazda 6 with 140000km and nothing is wrong with the car at all for the past 5 year since i bought it second hand.

Purchased in May 2017 at Kia Dealers for $19,899.00.

Great Car love it but...

Car drives beautifully, most comfortable by far but .... the drivers visor obstructs the full view of my rear vision mirror. It's annoying that most times I can't see if the visor is down to shade the sun from obstructing my view but either way my full vision is obstructed.

Purchased in October 2015 for $25,000.00.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)

Kia Cerato My19 Radio Issues

Having a problem with the radio just drops in and out for no reason car can be stationery. I have taken back to Kia who advised that the digital radio is not as good as analog. Not happy with answer anyone lease had this issue?

Purchased in December 2018.

Fuel Efficiency

Car is great to drive but service and Kia warranty not all that it is cracked up to be

Driving cerato TD Koup. Car is great to drive and if looked after finish can be kept close to as new. My car does only outer urban drives. My Koup developed oil leaks at 15000 kilometres. I took it to dealer three times, first two times they said it was just the breaking down “protective grease” that is applied for shipping. Third time found sump and block had uneven fitment and seal to gear box was leaking which in turn had significantly corroded drive shaft and contaminated clutch assembly. The car was kept off road at dealer for 10 weeks whilst waiting for Kia warranty approval and parts to be delivered. Gear box got new seal, shaft and clutch assembly and sump was dealer recommend for patch up to contain leak. At 30000 the rear shocks failed. These took 3 weeks to rectify via warranty. During fixed price servicing events I arrived to pick up car and find that additional charges had been added for “wear and tear” items, for example the entire throttle body air intake assembly at 45000 kms, an item that usually has a minimum life of 160000 km in urban conditions. The dealer no doubt seeking a bit of extra $ on the parts. Or being charged $50 above the fixed price for standard servicing. On both occasions I challenge the costs and they were reversed but I do question a car manufacturers value set when these things happen. More recently and while the car was under warranty a slight squeal could be heard from front of car whilst under acceleration. This was reported twice to dealer service. On first time the dealer said they thought it tyre noise and on replacing tyres said they didn’t know. On last servicing car the dealer says the idler pulley and tensioner is faulty ( that was the squeal) and that sump leaked patched up in 2014 which may have been leaking for a couple of years needs fixing. Car out of 5 year warranty by a year so expectation is that owner pays $2000
I contacted Kia customer service who advised its too bad and my problem.

So here is my suggestion when buying a Kia. Get it in writing that warranty repairs will be completed within a fixed timeframe. One week is more than sufficient.
When getting the car serviced and when reporting warranty items, demand that the service receipt clearly states the warranty issue reported and that Kia service document exactly what they have done to rectify.
Be prepared to argue that warranty items are not wear and tear. For example my shock aborbers failed at 30000 and the dealer first argued it was wear and tear.
Don’t agree to patch ups. If a fault should be fixed with new parts then demand that new parts are used. I should have done this with sump leak and now Kia and dealer say repairs are covered for one year only.
Know that parts have a life range, low to high. My experience is that Kia parts on my car have failed at the lower end of the range.

Purchased in October 2012 for $24,000.00.

Can't go wrong with it

Been driving my Cerato since mid-2017 (2018 model) and it's been an absolute gem. Basic model but with the entertainment system upgrade (bigger screen, reversing camera etc.). It's a zippy car that really takes off the second you step on the accelerator, while the other cars next to you are still 'thinking' what gear they should be in - I'm guessing because the Cerato is NOT DCT/CVT. The aircon is cool and powerful. The ride is smooth, comfortable and quiet. The entertainment system alone deserves 5 stars, as it can play VIDEOS, as well as very long mp3 files - which it lets you skip to any part by a simple touch on the screen. The speakers and in-built amp are amazing, you get better sound in this $20,000 car than most expensive cars with the exception of BMW and Volvo. The reversing camera is very clear with a beautiful picture and color coded lines to guide you. Comes with front and back sensors standard, while other makes only include back sensors unless you go for the luxury model. You even get expandable sun visors! Best of all, it's extremely reliable, it's had no mechanical/ electrical problems and no nags or recalls. KIA service has been excellent, friendly people and nice lounges.

The only thing I can find fault is the ergonomics which Kia/Hyundai still haven't got right after all these years. The seats are not the most comfortable and the headrests are outright UNCOMFORTABLE as they push your head down and forward. This can be fixed by reversing them, but that can't be too good in a crash. There are no other negatives though, excellent car, great value for money, you get much more enjoyment out of it than most $50,000+ cars/SUVS.

Purchased in May 2017 at Kia Dealers for $19,990.00.

Ok, but thirsty.

My 2009 Sli was comfortable, beautiful and well finished, but the car was very thirsty.

Also, some little weird noises, and little issues, like: it blows the headlight bulbs a lot. I also had to replace parts more often then my Japanese cars.

Purchased in August 2017 at Subaru Dealers for $7,500.00.

Great City Car

I use the car daily as I drive for Uber. I drive around 35,000 per year. I get the car regularly serviced as per the log book and haven’t had any issues with the car. Easy to drive - GPS and Bluetooth enhance safe driving. Only use 98 Unleaded petrol for maximum kms and economy. Great little car!

BadgeSLi
Date PurchasedFeb 2016

2019 Kia Cerato Sedan Sports +

Overall happy with the car. But the radio drops out at times and the navigation GPS could be a lot better, it wont accept address` at times. We are told it is a software issue, still waiting for the update. should be better in a new car. Shouldn`t have to wait.

BadgeSport+
Date PurchasedSep 2018

Outstanding example of motoring value, safety, live-ability and satisfaction

I was looking to replace my 2010 Ford Fiesta with a comfortable and slightly larger daily driver. It needed to be big enough so when my 2 children (currently 8 and 5) sit in the back, they have enough room to be comfortable, but also as I plan on keeping the vehicle for 5+ years, it will need to be big enough for them as they continue to grow like weeds. I was very focused on ease of use features, like adaptive cruise control, AEB, Lane keeping assist, blind spot monitoring, reversing camera, rear cross traffic alert, Sat Nav, Android Auto ETC. The Sport + I think represents outstanding value across the board. The 2.0 litre natually aspirated engine delivery smooth and responsive power (considerable better than the Impreza I had it pitted against). The leather interior is very comfortable and stylish, and the outstanding 8.0 infotainment system is very responsive, easy to use and see. The car is soo easy to drive, a very nicely balanced 6 speed auto transmission delivers very very close to the ticketed 7.2-7.4L/100Km advertised on the sticker. It looks amazing in white, and even though I've not applied any tint as yet, it keeps reasonably cool, even over the 35+ brisbane day's we've had over the recent weeks. I'm still early into the ownership, but so far, with the 7 year warranty, the dealer discounts on the capped price servicing, the very reasonable entry price, and the very stylish new look of the BD version, I couldn't be happier.

Cons so far really only as follows:
Boot liner looks a bit flimsy (the part that sits on top of the tyre). I can see this possibly deteriorating?
Boot it a bit fiddly to close, needs a bit of force, if you close it gently to catch, it kind of just bounces (but nothing you can't get used to)

Officially in love with it, very much looking forward to years of trouble free motoring.

BadgeSport+
Date PurchasedNov 2018

So hott

Bought this car 2 weeks ago, it runs so smoothly and has an amazing interior and exterior. It's absolutely stunning. The steering is very smooth and fun to drive in. Very homely vibes. The only downside on the basic model is no reverse camera. Was made in 2016, so its expected to have a camera.

BadgeS
Engine Size1.8
Date PurchasedNov 2018

Terrible customer service

Car Dealers are OK but Kia customer service over the phone is terrible. Never listen to customer and rude.
Problem with cars
- Radio and reversing camera had problem from first day.
- recently been Kia Moorooka and find out front tyres are gone. I do have deep concern about the quality of the tyre. They said they not manufacturing the tyre buy from someone. Reducls answer from Kia manager.
Please buy some quality Japanese brand. You pay little extra at initial stage but worth quality and service.
Good Luck

BadgeSport Edition
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Weird Problems

My Kia has blown a ridiculous number of headlight bulbs since purchase. I've become quiet good at pulling out the front end and replacing blubs. I asked for this problem to be fixed under warranty and left the car for a day. When I returned I was told there is nothing wrong with the electrics and was charged for the labour for wasting their time. And so I continue to blow one bulb after the other. NOT HAPPY.
I have also had the 'safety' feature disabled which allows the car to lock you out while it is sitting with the engine running. Living on a property out west I have to open gates before getting onto public roads. More than once I had my door blow shut, the car lock itself, and I've been left to walk back to the house for a spare key. My handbag and phone were inside the car of course, and it was several miles in the middle of summer. I'm 60 and not well. NOT HAPPY.
I won't even start on the boot that rarely opens or the windscreen wipers that only kind of work. Won't buy another. Warranty doesn't mean much. But it IS good on fuel.

Badge$0
Date PurchasedDec 2010

Excellent, comfortable, efficient, easy to drive and park.

Wonderful family sedan. Used every day, so easy to drive and park.
Regularly cleaned and serviced. So far no problems. Very comfortable car.
There is plenty of boot space, including provision for lowering the back seat for larger items.
Air conditioner easily keeps up with the heat on an above 35 degree day.

Badge18000