UB, JB, DC, YB
See the Best Cars in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Kia? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

Engine Pinging on a brand New 2020 car

Bought a new KIA Rio bought in September 2020 and the engine is pinging. I have read how others have the same problem and KIA won't or can't do anything about it, so it could be a factory problem. Please reach out we need to do something!

Purchased in September 2020 for $21,990.00.

Peter SAdelaide

Car could be so good with a few tweaks

Purchased in March 2020.

CC RIDER
CC RIDERSydney, NSW

Don’t buy this car

The car was running fine for the first 2 months. This was purchased new in October 2020. The engine overheats when air con is on. Apple car play always cuts out. It’s been towed to Kia twice in a month. Now the car over revs on take off before it hits its gear and also will not reverse. Got towed to Kia again, been there for 3 days without resolution so far. I will never buy a Kia again. As a contractor I am losing income everyday I’m not on the road and this will eventually cost me more than what the car is worth. I will be exercising my rights for a full refund or a brand new car. Unacceptable for a new vehicle.

Purchased in October 2020.

John BensonPerth, WA

I want my money back

Nicely packaged little car, big on features.
One of the selling points of this car was the wireless apple car play, the problem is that it does not work. Brand new out of the factory, on the way home from the dealer and it failed. The only feature of the infotainment system that works regularly is the radio.
Then there is the cruise control, works most of the time, but randomly it will not turn on, you just have to wait till your next drive for cruise control.
Another feature is the lane keeping assist, sometimes this works perfectly, other times it is a fight. It will try its hardest to steer you out of your lane! The irony is that if you let it, the lane alert will sound, warning you of lane departure :(

Purchased in September 2020 at Kia Dealers for $21,500.00.

John Benson

It is now July 2021 and the fault still remains, no news from Kia.
The dealer and Kia Australia no longer answer my emails.
I hate driving this car!

Richard
RichardGreat Southern, WA

Engine misfire and labouring solved. Free

Appears many comments on these cars missing (misfire, running rough).

Commonly it’s the coil pack, which gets replaced solving the problem. Expensive though.

I just found that a small amount of engine oil can leak from the rocker cover gasket and get on the side of the coil pack, and penetrate the rubber boot. This causes a shorting, arcing of the spark.

Clean off the oil, remove the lower boot from the coil and clean that too. Also clean deep inside the chamber leading to the spark plus, with a rag.

My engine misfire was completely solved

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Anto
AntoBrisbane

Fantastic little car

Purchased in March 2020 at Zupps for $18,200.00.

KT lee
KT lee

Compact cute car!

I bought this as my first new car. It drives well and I can park it in the tightest spots! The only issue is that the windscreen wipers don’t cover the whole screen!

TransmissionAutomatic
Miss Honest
Miss Honest

Hire car - sad when my car was repaired and I had to return it!

Wasn't expecting much when I picked up the Rio as a hire car while mine was being repaired. Very pleasantly surprised. The turning circle was impressive, it was quick off the mark and was quite gutsy for such a small engine. Good manual gearbox. Interior was simple but functional, decent air con and radio, reasonable storage space and legroom. Excellent fuel economy. If I was ever going to buy a small car again, it would be a Rio.

Purchased in November 2018.

Madeleine Cahill
Madeleine CahillGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Love this car

Easy to drive, Apple car play is simply the best, so user friendly. Easy to make calls when driving, use the maps, listen to podcasts etc. Only downside is the car doesn't have a lot of go. Great for zipping around metro areas, not that great going up hill or on the road.

Purchased in August 2019 at Kia Dealers for $22,000.00.

Vin
VinGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Everyday car

Good for everyday use and long smooth road driving. Fuel efficient running to a vacation trip but with its ground clearance, load capacity should be lesser than the limit to run normally.

MrSquigglesPencil
MrSquigglesPencilFar North Queensland, QLD

Good until repairs needed

Underpowered piece of crap

Got it as a loan car when my car is due for a new airbag. The automatic one is a piece of crap you need to use manual mode if you want better pickup on hill. The fuel consumption is terrible as well. I would say at least Toyota Echo and Daihatsu Sirion are better than that.

niloc79
niloc79South Australia

Becoming annoying

Purchased in January 2019 at Mazda for $15,000.00.

Nadine D.
Nadine D.Perth, WA

I love my little car BUT

Purchased in April 2018 for $17,000.00.

Edwina H.
Edwina H.

great first car

could not of asked for a better first car. she stuck by me through thick and thin, I definitely did not treat her right, typical female andeverything. not sure how I managed not to blow the engine up. came close, twice. just wish I had been as kind to her as she with me, as I could not afford the inevitable surgery she needed from lack of service and cheap dodgey repair work

Purchased in June 2011 for $9,000.00.

Not Happy Camperasked
Rio

Hi my daughter purchased a new Kia Rio in October 2020 and the engine is Pinging and they can't seem to fix it. She is using the correct 91 fuel and not E10. We've been told by customer service that there are other RIO's doing it as well and they cant explain why, it just seems to be a fault. They just said to use 95 until they find a fix but this is against the manufacturers recommendations. Were worried about the long term engine damage that is being caused. Anyone else got the same problem?

Peter S

Pinging is most likely due to crappy fuel. Try using 91 instead of E10. The other option is that there is a sensor that is giving bad fuel/air ratios back to the computer "or" the computer has an issue.

Not Happy Camper

She has always used 91 and never used the crapy E10. They have tried 4 times now to fix it doing engine tests and fuel samples and don't seem to be able to. The customer service department let slip that there a number of other Rio's in the same model doing it as well and they cant explain why? They suggested we run it on 95 or 98 which is against the manufacturers recommendations until they geta fix?

Peter S

I'm getting like 10.5L per 100km which is not great. My Ford Escape uses 10L per 100km and it has twice the horsepower (turbo) and is 500kg heavier....if you only have had it for a short time you could try another dealer and then go to the ACCC.

Robyn
Robynasked
Rio

I have a problem when braking the car creaks it only happens after the car warms up. Coukd it be worn rotors?

Mikeyg
Mikeygasked
YB S Automatic (2016-2021)

Has anyone had dash vibration noise, I have two Kia Rios 2016 & 2019 models both have dash vibrations.

Compare all 10 Kia Rio
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $23,090$16,990$19,090$17,790
Engine3 Cylinder 1.0L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L4 Cylinder 1.4L
Max Power88kW @ 6300rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm74kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque172Nm @ 1500-4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm133Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateJan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016