Maton JB4

Maton JB4

Maton JB4 no. 1152

I was lucky enough to get a gig as bass player after many years on guitar. Took my time and checked out many basses. Settled on the JB4 with flat wound strings. Dimarzio PJ pickups. Beautifully made at the Maton factory. It feels good every time I pick it up to play and I'm very happy with my sound. Thanks Maton for putting a lot of thought into this bass.

Excellent bass - good all-rounder - cannot be faulted.

Purchased one of the JB4 re-issue basses about 6 months ago and am extremely happy with its build, sound and performance.

It looks really good (Maton produced an attractive tobacco sunburst finish to order) and is reasonably good value for money. The build quality is superb, heavy and solid but not overly so. The JB4 tunes extremely well and stays in tune even after a lot of string bending and pulling, suggesting the superior machine-heads (Schaller's) are doing their job.

Yes, it's relatively expensive at $1400AU+ however, having owned and tried out several value-range basses, I can say hand on heart that I can happily live with this model for the remainder of my musical career.

I play a wide variety of styles and the JB4 delivers on all of them. My Fender Precision and Rickenbacker basses whilst incomparable in their own right have been left in their cases of late; which might just say it all.

Wish-list: the metal pick-up selection switch needs a large plastic knob to facilitate easier switching.
Good value for money, well balanced body/neck, great sounds and has fantastic looks!